Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Is my HR20-700 on its last leg?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,717 posts
  • LocationLancaster, PA area

Posted 27 July 2010 - 03:58 PM

I've had my HR20-700 since December 2006 (IIRC) and sometimes when I 6 sec replay live TV or watch a recorded show, the audio drops out for anywhere from 0.5 secs to maybe 2~3 secs and then comes back. This appears to happen randomly. If it happens and I hit PAUSE and then PLAY again, the audio comes back. The video does not drop out. I can hear the HDD churning as well when this audio dropout happens.

I would imagine that this is an indication that the HDD in my HR20-700 is on its last leg.

1. Would it make more sense to add an eSATA HDD? This would effectively erase everything saved on the internal drive, correct? AND parallel drives (one internal and one external) are not currently supported by D*. OR

2. Call D* and try to get a replacement (I'd probably end up getting an HR22 or later as these are the newer HD DVRs). I'd have to sign up for the Protection Package. I'd also have to get the AM21 OTA tuner for $50 more. OR

3. Obtain a leased HR2x via Amazon (around $199) or other vendor and send back the HR20-700 to D*. I'd again also have to get the AM21 OTA tuner for $50 more.

Ideas or suggestions?

Is it possible to replace the internal HDD? I know these are leased units and since my unit may be near the end of its serviceable life anyway, am I really voiding a warranty by opening it up and replacing the HDD? I've built numerous computers, so replacing a HDD would be very easy for me to do.

HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200 (2), 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV), Cinema Kit (Wifi connection)
Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   finaldiet

finaldiet

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 04:23 PM

They should replace it since its a lease unit. Mine took a dump last week and when tech came out to replace I asked him if he had any HR24's on truck. He said yes and if I wanted that. I said sure and that is what he gave me. He also found a wiring problem and replaced wiring and dish with SWM for both receivers.I have protection plan but believe they will replace yours because its leased.
Avatar says" Children are the only earthly possessions you can take with you to heaven, where are you taking yours"

#3 OFFLINE   RoyGBiv

RoyGBiv

Icon

• Registered
  • 650 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 04:27 PM

Without the protection plan they will usually replace it for the cost of shipping, about $20.

SMK

#4 OFFLINE   davring

davring

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,400 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 04:29 PM

I had the same symptoms with my HR20-700 and as I didn't want to lose the reliability of the HR20 I replaced the internal drive with a 1.5 TB WD drive. If you prefer D* to replace the unit you do not need to have the PP. I am certain you are aware you really are not supposed to open the unit, keep your shades drawn:)

#5 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,642 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 07:05 PM

...Would it make more sense to add an eSATA HDD? This would effectively erase everything saved on the internal drive, correct? AND parallel drives (one internal and one external) are not currently supported by D*...

It might make sense, but you have to make sure you have a HDD that will work eSATA, such as a EADS or EVDS from WD. And your problem may not be a HDD problem; it may be a PS problem or even something else. In such a case, an eSATA will probably perform about the same as the internal drive.

This does not erase the internal drive; on bootup, if it sees the eSATA, it opts to mount just that drive. If it does not see the eSATA, it opts to mount just the internal. You can switch back and forth, but it means turning the eSATA enclosure on/off and rebooting. Cabling can stay intact.
It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...