Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Activations no longer available for receivers without an RID

• Please log in to reply
104 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   bubbagscotch

bubbagscotch

AllStar

• Registered
  • 52 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 06:42 PM

Maybe my 3 RCA DRD435RHs are now worth a quarter or two :)

I believe those do have RID's but yea worth a quarter or two

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   davel

davel

Godfather

• Registered
  • 288 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 06:55 PM

Hmm, just deactivated a ridless receiver Saturday and Today and the CSR said they could be reactivated at any time. Prepare for a fight and a free receiver with no commitment the next time I call to reactivate.

#23 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 28,917 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 27 July 2010 - 06:57 PM

Minor correction. If the legacy receiver without RID had been active on an account before, it is possible to reactivate on same account as long as it has an existing access card for that account. It cannot be added to anyone else's account (by selling or gifting, etc.)
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#24 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 28,917 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 27 July 2010 - 06:58 PM

Yea who is Doug?

I'm Doug and I've got friends :D

:welcome_s to the forums

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#25 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,724 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 27 July 2010 - 07:02 PM

Minor correction. If the legacy receiver without RID had been active on an account before, it is possible to reactivate on same account as long as it has an existing access card for that account. It cannot be added to anyone else's account (by selling or gifting, etc.)

:joy::joy::joy::joy::joy: :joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:

~Alan

#26 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 07:06 PM

There are going to be a few of angry ebay members, but I am glad to see this actually. It's one step closer to all MPEG4 equipment :)

Wonder what sparked the change?
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased
Owned H25-700 and H24-700 off and packed for the move.

DIRECTV subscriber since Nov. 2009

#27 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,961 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 27 July 2010 - 07:07 PM

When Directv finally gets around to transitioning ALL channels to MPEG4 (which will free up a huge amount of bandwidth), the older receivers will all become doorstops. This may be a first step in reducing the potential cost of such an upgrade (stopping production of D12s and R16s would be the next obvious step).

Edit: I see that matt1124 is thinking along the same lines....

#28 OFFLINE   JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA

N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,167 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 07:11 PM

Doug thanks for the info was that from a 2nd tier CSR?

JACK,

#29 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 28,917 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 27 July 2010 - 07:36 PM

Doug thanks for the info was that from a 2nd tier CSR?

higher up than that ..

#30 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 07:38 PM

higher up than that ..

Doug probably has lunch with Mike White on a regular basis, it's just a short drive :)
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased
Owned H25-700 and H24-700 off and packed for the move.

DIRECTV subscriber since Nov. 2009

#31 OFFLINE   Matt9876

Matt9876

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 08:27 PM

Wonder what sparked the change?

It's a hole in the card security that they will now close,The card security is only 100% when the card # and the RID# are married, If the unit doesn't have an RID# it makes it easy to partially reactivate the unit to (for example) pick up off air channels on the old HD boxes.

#32 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 28,917 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 27 July 2010 - 08:33 PM

And that will be THE last word on security .. DBSTalk.com is not the place to even broach the subject of breaking any encryption.

#33 OFFLINE   bubbagscotch

bubbagscotch

AllStar

• Registered
  • 52 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 09:40 PM

So how much closer are we to all MPEG4 Doug?

#34 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 09:42 PM

What was the launch date and life expectancy of the last KU satellite DirecTv launched? Might give you some insight to the answer. If they just let the KU sats die off, and reduce the SD channels, then when they are dead, and SD has died with them, they can launch a brand new KU sat for 101 to carry more HD.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#35 OFFLINE   bubbagscotch

bubbagscotch

AllStar

• Registered
  • 52 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 09:50 PM

What was the launch date and life expectancy of the last KU satellite DirecTv launched? Might give you some insight to the answer. If they just let the KU sats die off, and reduce the SD channels, then when they are dead, and SD has died with them, they can launch a brand new KU sat for 101 to carry more HD.

Ok so when will that be?

#36 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 28,917 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 28 July 2010 - 12:16 AM

Beats me :shrug:

My guess would be 5-10 years out, though.

#37 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,961 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 28 July 2010 - 04:13 AM

I don't think there is anything unique to the satellites themselves relating to MPEG2 vs MPEG4. There is no onboard demodulation and the transponders just retransmit whatever is in the uplink.

#38 OFFLINE   davidatl14

davidatl14

Icon

• Registered
  • 546 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 10:17 AM

Proof? (Coca Cola Kid might ask)

:lol:
May The Best of Your Past be the Worst of Your Future!

#39 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,249 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 10:36 AM

The satellites that aren't doing MPEG4 don't know if the data is MPEG2 or 4 or anything else above the data stream layer. (I won't say the Spaceways don't know--they just might; but they are MPEG4 able anyway.) :)

So the current fleet is fully able to do all MPEG4...

The BIG (and I really mean BIG) issue is all the legacy receivers that are MPEG2 only. This step will stop the recycling of some of them (maybe a lot) but it won't stop any existing ones that are still in service.

The math I've been using lately is say 30M old MPEG2 receivers that are turned on right now. (Just an educated wild ass guess, I had been using 40M last year.)

Say each replacement receiver is $50 on average. ($100 is likely closer by the time you figure in ALL the costs and that some are DVRs.)

That's $1.5B.
Plus say 15M homes need upgrading to new dish.
Another $1.5B

That is a lot of satellite launches. :) (And DIRECTV still has a fair amount of bandwidth they can utilize more efficiently...) :)

So I don't see all MPEG4 for at least 5 years after the last D12 is sold. If even that quickly.

Since D12s are still available in the supply chain, you know MPEG4 only is not really on the radar...

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#40 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 28 July 2010 - 07:36 PM

Beats me :shrug:

My guess would be 5-10 years out, though.

The only way this "eliminate MPEG2" effort will happen is when DirecTV agrees to upgrade customers FOR FREE with NO NEW COMMITMENT which may happen eventually. But there are a LOT of SD-only customers being installed daily and there are lots of other customers who have been long-term subs (like me) who have no intention of upgrading due to the 2 year commitment...and upgrade fee.

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

spam firewall