Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Activations no longer available for receivers without an RID

• Please log in to reply
104 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   dmurphy

dmurphy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,676 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 07:41 PM

Minor correction. If the legacy receiver without RID had been active on an account before, it is possible to reactivate on same account as long as it has an existing access card for that account. It cannot be added to anyone else's account (by selling or gifting, etc.)

Perfect.... Works for me. Thanks for the clarification!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,229 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 08:05 PM

The only way this "eliminate MPEG2" effort will happen is when DirecTV agrees to upgrade customers FOR FREE with NO NEW COMMITMENT which may happen eventually. But there are a LOT of SD-only customers being installed daily and there are lots of other customers who have been long-term subs (like me) who have no intention of upgrading due to the 2 year commitment...and upgrade fee.

They can start by moving stuff like Sunday ticket to MPEG4 and other stuff that is not remaps like Full Court, Game Plan, some PPV EVENT's, Hot pass. Maybe later adult, HBO, SHOW, MAX, STARTS Some of the sports pack. PPV movies SD and EVENTS.
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#43 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 28,919 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 28 July 2010 - 10:04 PM

They can start by moving stuff like Sunday ticket to MPEG4 and other stuff that is not remaps like Full Court, Game Plan, some PPV EVENT's, Hot pass. Maybe later adult, HBO, SHOW, MAX, STARTS Some of the sports pack. PPV movies SD and EVENTS.

Yup .. by inching their way out of the MPEG2 door folks (in general) will either move up or move on until the point DIRECTV decides to force the issue by providing free equipment.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#44 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 28,919 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 28 July 2010 - 10:05 PM

The only way this "eliminate MPEG2" effort will happen is when DirecTV agrees to upgrade customers FOR FREE with NO NEW COMMITMENT which may happen eventually. But there are a LOT of SD-only customers being installed daily and there are lots of other customers who have been long-term subs (like me) who have no intention of upgrading due to the 2 year commitment...and upgrade fee.

There are numerous Free TV options out there all of which have no commitment and work as good as or better than standard definition television. You don't even necessarily have to complete your commitment term with DIRECTV to come out ahead by switching to those options today.

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#45 OFFLINE   claymanhb

claymanhb

Mentor

• Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 12:15 PM

I've been planning on keeping my old directivo for my new house. It's been activated before and directv said I can activate it any time.
DirecTV Customer Since 2003
In Use:
LR-1 HR20-700, 1.5TB Internal-Samsung PN58B650
1BR-1 H21-200-Samsung PDP5084
2BR-1 HR24-500-Samsung LN32C450
In Reserve:
1 Hughes Tivo
1 H20
2 Old School Samsung Boxes

#46 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 28,919 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 29 July 2010 - 12:40 PM

I've been planning on keeping my old directivo for my new house. It's been activated before and directv said I can activate it any time.

It looks like if you are going to be putting it back onto the same account it was on before that it should be OK, but more and more these older receivers will be banished from the system.

#47 OFFLINE   LCollett

LCollett

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 06:27 PM

I believe eliminating the HD fee for everyone would help in reducing the MPEG2 receivers in service.

#48 OFFLINE   Kansas Zephyr

Kansas Zephyr

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 08:35 PM

After D* obtains a cheap MPEG4 capable SD IRD, with RF output (who knows when that date will be?)...they can start installing new SD subs...and replacing failing SD IRDs with the new box.

When they think they can quickly recover the cost to swap the remaining installed MPEG2 only base, it will happen.

But as others have posted...a simple D10 or D12 can work for a very long time...there are millions out there in service...and thousands of D12s in warehouses.
5 LNB Slimline & SWM-16
SWM1 2 HR20s & HR21 via SWS-4 "green label" 4-way splitter w/power pass one leg for PI - SWM2 2 HR20s & HR21 after SWS-4 "green label" 4-way splitter
2 HR20-700 Wireless network for DoD
HR20-700 eSATA Vantec NexStar CX w/ 2TB WD20EVDS
HR21-100/AM21 Wireless network for DoD
HR21-100/AM21
With diplexed OTA via an "out" on one SWS-4 4-way splitter, using a Winegard YA 1713 - Channel Master 4228 - Channel Master 7777 in the attic.
Yes, my market has HD LiLs...and I'm still not giving up OTA! No rain-fade, and all sub-channels 24/7/365.
Also, with diplexed Cox Internet on one leg, downstream of a SWS-4 4-way splitter, using a SWS-2 2-way splitter, as a combiner.
R10 via SWM-16 Legacy 1
In boxes HR10-250, HDVR2 & (2) D10-300

#49 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 08:41 PM

What ever happened to the D13 IRD? I see it show up on some documents about SWM but have never seen it? Is that maybe the transition receiver that we will see someday?

I bet there is a small enough market for RF only TVs that they would just give the customer an external RF modulator as opposed to giving every customer an internal built in one, but who knows, they could be super cheap to implement internally.
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased
Owned H25-700 and H24-700 off and packed for the move.

DIRECTV subscriber since Nov. 2009

#50 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 28,919 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 29 July 2010 - 09:03 PM

Are all MDUs HD capable now? That could be one of the tough areas to crack.

#51 OFFLINE   Kansas Zephyr

Kansas Zephyr

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 09:10 PM

I bet there is a small enough market for RF only TVs that they would just give the customer an external RF modulator as opposed to giving every customer an internal built in one, but who knows, they could be super cheap to implement internally.

For "primary" TVs, yeah...I'd agree.

But, I think there are plenty of RF only sets still being being used/will be used as a secondary, tertiary, etc. service for quite a while.
5 LNB Slimline & SWM-16
SWM1 2 HR20s & HR21 via SWS-4 "green label" 4-way splitter w/power pass one leg for PI - SWM2 2 HR20s & HR21 after SWS-4 "green label" 4-way splitter
2 HR20-700 Wireless network for DoD
HR20-700 eSATA Vantec NexStar CX w/ 2TB WD20EVDS
HR21-100/AM21 Wireless network for DoD
HR21-100/AM21
With diplexed OTA via an "out" on one SWS-4 4-way splitter, using a Winegard YA 1713 - Channel Master 4228 - Channel Master 7777 in the attic.
Yes, my market has HD LiLs...and I'm still not giving up OTA! No rain-fade, and all sub-channels 24/7/365.
Also, with diplexed Cox Internet on one leg, downstream of a SWS-4 4-way splitter, using a SWS-2 2-way splitter, as a combiner.
R10 via SWM-16 Legacy 1
In boxes HR10-250, HDVR2 & (2) D10-300

#52 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,331 posts
  • LocationGalactic Empire

Posted 30 July 2010 - 01:12 AM

Are all MDUs HD capable now? That could be one of the tough areas to crack.

Yes in our complex, but for DISH only. Our management does NOT permit tenants to get DirecTV even if the tenants wanted. In fact, they won't let anyone install dishes, telling everyone that "DISH is our sole provider of satellite service. We don't allow DirecTV installations or the installation of any satellite dishes here."

According to the management office, when someone who sees my big Slimline dish on my balcony, which conveniently is right across from management's office, then asks, "Then why does that person have a satellite dish?", the management office's response is, "He is grandfathered and can keep his."

There are 22 buildings in our complex, each with 20 units. If I had the ability, I'm tempted to print the FCC's OTARD regulations and somehow get these to every resident (our occupancy rate always hovers around 96%).

FAITH: I find the lack of it disturbing.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

#53 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 01:16 AM

If I had the ability, I'm tempted to print the FCC's OTARD regulations and somehow get these to every resident (our occupancy rate always hovers around 96%).

On your dish where it says "DIRECTV", just change it with a little paint to say "DIRECTV.COM/FCC", tell your management that is the newest dish, and there ya go. :grin:
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased

#54 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,331 posts
  • LocationGalactic Empire

Posted 30 July 2010 - 02:28 AM

Interesting idea.

;)

FAITH: I find the lack of it disturbing.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

#55 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 12:58 AM

Dang, someone gave me an IRD without a RID today. :(
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased

#56 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 03 August 2010 - 06:03 AM

Dang, someone gave me an IRD without a RID today. :(

I keep having this image of Sanford and Son when it comes to you and D* STB's....:lol:

#57 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,918 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 06:30 AM

Beats me :shrug:

My guess would be 5-10 years out, though.

What's still MPEG-2? :scratchin

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#58 OFFLINE   bengalfreak

bengalfreak

AllStar

• Registered
  • 69 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 08:04 AM

Anyone know if the 'pull and pray' method still works, i.e. taking the smart card out of a subscribed unit and placing it in a non-rid unit and itting refresh services on the web site? Previously, this would activate your non-rid unit without ever having to involve a DTV CSR.

#59 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 09:29 AM

I keep having this image of Sanford and Son when it comes to you and D* STB's....:lol:

Sometimes I do have a bunch of them :D Why do people keep saying I remind them of sanford and son?! If I can make a buck on it, it probably is sitting around my house... or garage... or porch... or yard... or truck bed...
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased

#60 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,882 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 03 August 2010 - 11:41 AM

Effective 7/22, receivers without an RID (Receiver Identification) number will no longer be eligible for activation.

There a a lot of legacy receivers that you guys may have in the closet that fall into this category. In fact, I have one in my legacy TiVo (SAT-T60) however, it is currently activated and will remain activated. However, if I were to deactivate it, I would not be able to reactivate it on my account.

Minor correction. If the legacy receiver without RID had been active on an account before, it is possible to reactivate on same account as long as it has an existing access card for that account. It cannot be added to anyone else's account (by selling or gifting, etc.)

Sorry for being late on this, but I just got the tidbit today.

Is this going to impact all the old TiVos? I have a dozen or so SD TiVos and I think they have RID numbers.

Rich

Protected By... spam firewall...And...