Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Activations no longer available for receivers without an RID

• Please log in to reply
104 replies to this topic

#76 OFFLINE   dmurphy

dmurphy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,682 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 07:26 AM

What was wink?

You don't want to know...

Wink Interactive was DirecTV's first foray into interactive services. It was slow, buggy, and did I mention slow?

http://www.smarttvan...m/article/8665/

Neat concept, but it was kinda painful in its first revision. What we have today via the ACTIVE button works much, much better.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#77 OFFLINE   barryb

barryb

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,937 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 07:37 AM

I'm Doug and I've got friends :D

:welcome_s to the forums

Posted Image
Barry
MY SETUP
You can usually find me helping out in the Quiet Room on Friday chat night.

#78 OFFLINE   billphx

billphx

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 01:10 PM

Scenario:

You have a SD-DVR40 you want to activate. It has no RID.

You call directv and order an access card for another receiver that *has* a RID.

When you receive the card, you pop it into the SD-DVR40 and activate it.

Question is -- will the SD-DVR40 recognize the new access card and start working, even though it does not have an RID? (And directv has already programmed another RID in their system for this access card.)

Or does the activation really only activate the access card itself, regardless of the receiver it is first put into?

thanks
bill

#79 OFFLINE   billphx

billphx

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 01:15 PM

For the past 8+ years I have been a Directv customer, I have *always* been able to activate a used receiver, as long as the previous account tied to the receiver was not past due.

In fact, I called in a couple of weeks ago and had NO problem activating a used receiver.

Now when I call (and escalate, and escalate), I have been told that NO used receivers can be activated anymore, that you must BUY or LEASE a brand new receiver from Directv.

I have been told lies like "that receiver will not work anymore" even though I have the exact same receivers on working accounts (home and business) currently.

I do not want technical support for my used receiver.

I do not want any of the new HD channels, or for that matter, ANY channel that my receiver cannot receive. I am fine with this. Hell, I don't even care about the guide data.

I simply want to ACTIVATE MY RECEIVER, and give Directv more money to watch more TV. I do not want to buy or lease a new receiver with an additional contract committment, since I do not need any of the additional features/etc of a new receiver.

Furthermore, shouldn't this policy have been disclosed BEFORE it went into effect?

I am at my wits end with Directv. Hold times are unbelievable, and then they transfer you to another dept. When you get to that dept (example card activations), they say that there is NO direct way to reach them, the only way is to wait on hold for 20+ minutes in the customer service queue.

I am frustrated, dismayed and just sad. Maybe it is time to start looking at the flyers and offers from my cable company. At least they still pretend to care, and will work with customers to solve problems.

Yes, I have read the thread on activating receivers with no RID.

Has anyone else experienced denying activating an old receiver with an RID?

I even told them, this is just to get me to the end of the year, and then I will be happy to upgrade to all new receivers/dvrs and toss all my old junk out the window.

Sigh.

bill

#80 OFFLINE   billphx

billphx

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 01:20 PM

Yes, I have read that thread (as I indicated above.)

That thread discusses old receivers with NO RID.

I am having problems activating old receivers that HAVE A RID.

Wanting to get feedback on _this_ situation.

#81 OFFLINE   BAHitman

BAHitman

Godfather

• Registered
  • 432 posts
  • LocationAustin Texas

Posted 04 August 2010 - 01:32 PM

I would imagine they are working toward getting rid of the old method of delivering guide data, and eventually, they will be swapping out remaining "OLD" recievers for newer units such as D12 and/or HD equipment. The more of these that are active on accounts, the more they will need to replace for free. Not to mention there is potential signal integrity benefits (stopping people from stealing).

Or, maybe they are out of the older access cards, and the newer ones are not compatible with the older recievers.

HR34, HR20x3, HR22, HR23, H24, H21

-BAHitman

#82 OFFLINE   billphx

billphx

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 04:03 PM

My call to business customer service said they would not activate a SD-DVR40 (with RID) under any circumstances.

Another call to residential said the same.

Yet another call to residential said that I *could* activate the receiver.

Seems the CSRs are confused about the policy...

bill

#83 OFFLINE   bubbagscotch

bubbagscotch

AllStar

• Registered
  • 52 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 05:50 PM

I think you should request to speak to the access card department when you talk to a CSR. I think you'll have better success at activating that sdvr.

#84 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 06:06 PM

I think you should request to speak to the access card department when you talk to a CSR. I think you'll have better success at activating that sdvr.

If you are activating an owned IRD for the first time, you definitely need to talk to the ACDT when activating it. When talking to a regular CSR, the best advice I can give you is to play dumb. If it was already active on your account, just say "I would like to turn on one of my receivers ending in RID XXXX OR card XXXX" if you don't have a RID and see where that gets you.
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased
Owned H25-700 and H24-700 off and packed for the move.

DIRECTV subscriber since Nov. 2009

#85 ONLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,335 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 05 August 2010 - 07:17 AM

They are sure proud of the HR10s on ebay...

Make hay while the sun is shining, you never know when they will shut them off. Even HR20s are sometimes not being reclaimed, and now RID-less receivers are all but useless unless you already have one for a spare, who knows what gets shut off next...

I think the HD TiVos are used mostly for OTA. But, you could sell just about anything on eBay to somebody.

Rich

#86 ONLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,335 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 05 August 2010 - 07:26 AM

My call to business customer service said they would not activate a SD-DVR40 (with RID) under any circumstances.

Another call to residential said the same.

Yet another call to residential said that I *could* activate the receiver.

Seems the CSRs are confused about the policy...

bill

Try this number, it is the direct line to the Access Card Team: redacted. They usually know what's going on. Not always, but usually. I just called and was told that the Series 2, such as the SD-DVR40, TiVos will still be activated. The Series 2 TiVos were the first to have RID numbers, I think.

Rich

Edited by Doug Brott, 05 August 2010 - 08:34 AM.
redacted phone number

#87 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 07:28 AM

I noticed an "OTA only" option when I set it up. Can they be used as stand alone DVRs for someone with just an antenna and no D* service?
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased

#88 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 07:29 AM

Try this number, it is the direct line to the Access Card Team: redacted. They usually know what's going on. Not always, but usually. I just called and was told that the Series 2, such as the SD-DVR40, TiVos will still be activated. The Series 2 TiVos were the first to have RID numbers, I think.

Rich

Hello.... :D that number is going in the Rolodex.... :D

Edited by Doug Brott, 05 August 2010 - 08:35 AM.
redacted phone number (from quoted comment)

Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased

#89 ONLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,335 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 05 August 2010 - 07:46 AM

Hello.... :D that number is going in the Rolodex.... :D

I don't know how I got that number, don't remember. Usually no waiting at all. But, all those CSRs really know how to do is what is related to access cards. I use them to activate owned HRs and if something goes wrong with the activation, they give up and send me to the Protection Plan. Good number to have.

You still use a Rolodex, Matt? :)

Rich

#90 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 08:35 AM

You still use a Rolodex, Matt? :)

I wish I had one. I keep everything in my head. If I don't know your number, you don't call me enough is my policy:)

I thought it was stupid how many times I see "lost my phone, need your #" on facebook posts, so I decided a couple years ago to dial manually. Works great when my phone is dead and I need to call someone on a different phone (or phone can if one is handy and I have my butt-set in the truck!) :D
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased

#91 ONLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,335 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 05 August 2010 - 11:24 AM

I wish I had one. I keep everything in my head. If I don't know your number, you don't call me enough is my policy:)

I thought it was stupid how many times I see "lost my phone, need your #" on facebook posts, so I decided a couple years ago to dial manually. Works great when my phone is dead and I need to call someone on a different phone (or phone can if one is handy and I have my butt-set in the truck!) :D

I've never had a problem with phone numbers but every time I get a new computer I forget to download my email addresses. Rolodex-es were really handy. Never large enough, tho.

Rich

#92 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 11:26 AM

Good thing I wrote that number down :D Looks like it is something I need to keep to myself :)
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased

#93 OFFLINE   csgo

csgo

Legend

• Registered
  • 246 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 03:06 PM

The self-nominated DirecTV cops are out in force.

#94 OFFLINE   codespy

codespy

Go Pack Go!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 736 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 05 August 2010 - 10:19 PM

SD-DVR40, 80, and 120's HAVE RID's, as do the HR10's.

HDVR2's have no RID's and they are Series 2. That is all I can disclose at this point, and they will work for a long time whether deactivated or not.

Other Series 2 DTiVo's fall into this category too.

11 DirecTV HD-DVR's including a Genie and GenieGO

#95 OFFLINE   my1423

my1423

Godfather

• Registered
  • 252 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 11:02 PM

Still works as of 07/25/10

You can take any active card from any unit. Rid included!
Stick it into a NON rid unit and call the 1800 and refresh services ext 722 721 ect and it will work. Almost any extension gets a full refresh. This divorces then remarries the card. You can then take that same card and place it back into the rid it came from and do the 1800 and it will again work. Safe to play with.

Card not go to another rid that is not active. The rid number must be active.

Hughes hbh gaboa e series ect are all way faster and have more options then the d1x series.

Still love my UTV over the r15 r16. Wish my hr23 was as fast and RELIABLE at recording. Easier to use too. Down to one from 6 Because i need hd, and dead #2 tuners. Website thinks im running an r16. Gaboa in place of a d10.

#96 OFFLINE   codespy

codespy

Go Pack Go!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 736 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 05 August 2010 - 11:12 PM

You are correct. This is how I periodically update my HDVR2's. Just don't let DTV know about this so they don't close the loophole. :D

11 DirecTV HD-DVR's including a Genie and GenieGO

#97 ONLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,335 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 06 August 2010 - 07:18 AM

SD-DVR40, 80, and 120's HAVE RID's, as do the HR10's.

HDVR2's have no RID's and they are Series 2. That is all I can disclose at this point, and they will work for a long time whether deactivated or not.

Other Series 2 DTiVo's fall into this category too.

Yeah, I know some of the older Series 2 TiVos don't have RID numbers. Only have one that falls into that category.

Rich

#98 OFFLINE   bubbagscotch

bubbagscotch

AllStar

• Registered
  • 52 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 11:18 AM

So is it safe to say that it will be about 5 years for the next level to go to all MPEG4 equipment?

#99 OFFLINE   billphx

billphx

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 09:33 PM

Still works as of 07/25/10

You can take any active card from any unit. Rid included!
Stick it into a NON rid unit and call the 1800 and refresh services ext 722 721 ect and it will work. Almost any extension gets a full refresh. This divorces then remarries the card. You can then take that same card and place it back into the rid it came from and do the 1800 and it will again work. Safe to play with.

Card not go to another rid that is not active. The rid number must be active.

Hughes hbh gaboa e series ect are all way faster and have more options then the d1x series.

Still love my UTV over the r15 r16. Wish my hr23 was as fast and RELIABLE at recording. Easier to use too. Down to one from 6 Because i need hd, and dead #2 tuners. Website thinks im running an r16. Gaboa in place of a d10.

Ok... activated new card on an old receiver with a RID. Works fine.

Moved card to HDVR2, called in and did the ext. 722 refresh.
HDVR2 still gives "you have inserted the wrong card" message.

This should work, right?

thanks
bill

#100 OFFLINE   Edmund

Edmund

Remote Master

• Registered
  • 1,766 posts
  • LocationSouthern Ca

Posted 07 August 2010 - 11:45 PM

Ok... activated new card on an old receiver with a RID. Works fine.

Moved card to HDVR2, called in and did the ext. 722 refresh.
HDVR2 still gives "you have inserted the wrong card" message.

This should work, right?

thanks
bill

No, it should not, and won't any longer, subject of the thread.
aka Tivoburkee

Protected By... spam firewall...And...