Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Activations no longer available for receivers without an RID

• Please log in to reply
104 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,074 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 03 August 2010 - 11:44 AM

Is this going to impact all the old TiVos? I have a dozen or so SD TiVos and I think they have RID numbers.

Rich

I just looked at a few of them and they all have RID numbers. None of the older ones, tho. I don't have any of them.

Rich

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 28,909 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 03 August 2010 - 11:51 AM

Is this going to impact all the old TiVos? I have a dozen or so SD TiVos and I think they have RID numbers.

Rich

Some, yes as my old SD-TiVo has no RID.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#63 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,074 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 03 August 2010 - 02:03 PM

Some, yes as my old SD-TiVo has no RID.

But that's a Sony and if I recall the terminology correctly, that's a Series 1 DVR. The TiVos I have are all Series 2 and every one I look at has the RID number on the back panel. Will these be affected in the future?

Rich

#64 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 02:05 PM

But that's a Sony and if I recall the terminology correctly, that's a Series 1 DVR. The TiVos I have are all Series 2 and every one I look at has the RID number on the back panel. Will these be affected in the future?

Rich

I can't believe they still turn them on! I got an HR10 about a month ago for the cost of shipping, it is a SD DVR that shows up in their system as an HD DVR, I am sure they hate that when it comes time for replacement but that's fine with me :D
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased
Owned H25-700 and H24-700 off and packed for the move.

DIRECTV subscriber since Nov. 2009

#65 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,074 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 03 August 2010 - 02:12 PM

I can't believe they still turn them on! I got an HR10 about a month ago for the cost of shipping, it is a SD DVR that shows up in their system as an HD DVR, I am sure they hate that when it comes time for replacement but that's fine with me :D

I've been meaning to sell them on eBay for a couple years and haven't gotten around to it yet. Don't know if you all realize just how lazy I am. :)

Guess I'll get the camera out and try to sell the RID TiVos while I still can. They all have large HDDs in them. Spent a good bit of money on them at the time.

Rich

#66 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 02:17 PM

They are sure proud of the HR10s on ebay...

Make hay while the sun is shining, you never know when they will shut them off. Even HR20s are sometimes not being reclaimed, and now RID-less receivers are all but useless unless you already have one for a spare, who knows what gets shut off next...
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased

#67 OFFLINE   bubbagscotch

bubbagscotch

AllStar

• Registered
  • 52 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 07:39 PM

So what's next on the list of receivers D* will start taking off the activation list besides the ones without an RID?

#68 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 07:43 PM

So what's next on the list of receivers D* will start taking off the activation list besides the ones without an RID?

Only time will tell, but I'd guess the non-D branded boxes. The last of models of Hughes & RCAs along with the DTivos.
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

#69 OFFLINE   dmurphy

dmurphy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 07:48 PM

Only time will tell, but I'd guess the non-D branded boxes. The last of models of Hughes & RCAs along with the DTivos.

What makes this curious (for me) is that it's the first time that they've really dropped legacy equipment.

I bet I could still activate my DRD222RD if I really wanted to ...

#70 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 07:50 PM

What makes this curious (for me) is that it's the first time that they've really dropped legacy equipment.

I bet I could still activate my DRD222RD if I really wanted to ...

Personally, I think it's long, long overdue.
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

#71 OFFLINE   dmurphy

dmurphy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 08:01 PM

Personally, I think it's long, long overdue.

Agreed - just saying that it's a shift in strategy.

I still have my "Wink-enabled" DRD420RE. (The first cut at DirecTV Interactive.... and it was AWFUL!)

#72 OFFLINE   bubbagscotch

bubbagscotch

AllStar

• Registered
  • 52 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 08:12 PM

But might take a while though I don't think people are ready to give up on some of the branded legacy ones. I like my hughes sd-hbh over those newer receivers.

#73 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 08:12 PM

What was wink?
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased

#74 OFFLINE   bubbagscotch

bubbagscotch

AllStar

• Registered
  • 52 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 08:20 PM

What was wink?

I used to have one of those drd 420's, Wink was the interactive program on receivers.

#75 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 08:45 PM

But might take a while though I don't think people are ready to give up on some of the branded legacy ones. I like my hughes sd-hbh over those newer receivers.

I would gladly trade my owned DRD435RHs for some nice shiny owned D12s (or better!) :D
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased

#76 OFFLINE   dmurphy

dmurphy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 07:26 AM

What was wink?

You don't want to know...

Wink Interactive was DirecTV's first foray into interactive services. It was slow, buggy, and did I mention slow?

http://www.smarttvan...m/article/8665/

Neat concept, but it was kinda painful in its first revision. What we have today via the ACTIVE button works much, much better.

#77 OFFLINE   barryb

barryb

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,935 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 07:37 AM

I'm Doug and I've got friends :D

:welcome_s to the forums

Posted Image
Barry
MY SETUP
You can usually find me helping out in the Quiet Room on Friday chat night.

#78 OFFLINE   billphx

billphx

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 01:10 PM

Scenario:

You have a SD-DVR40 you want to activate. It has no RID.

You call directv and order an access card for another receiver that *has* a RID.

When you receive the card, you pop it into the SD-DVR40 and activate it.

Question is -- will the SD-DVR40 recognize the new access card and start working, even though it does not have an RID? (And directv has already programmed another RID in their system for this access card.)

Or does the activation really only activate the access card itself, regardless of the receiver it is first put into?

thanks
bill

#79 OFFLINE   billphx

billphx

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 01:15 PM

For the past 8+ years I have been a Directv customer, I have *always* been able to activate a used receiver, as long as the previous account tied to the receiver was not past due.

In fact, I called in a couple of weeks ago and had NO problem activating a used receiver.

Now when I call (and escalate, and escalate), I have been told that NO used receivers can be activated anymore, that you must BUY or LEASE a brand new receiver from Directv.

I have been told lies like "that receiver will not work anymore" even though I have the exact same receivers on working accounts (home and business) currently.

I do not want technical support for my used receiver.

I do not want any of the new HD channels, or for that matter, ANY channel that my receiver cannot receive. I am fine with this. Hell, I don't even care about the guide data.

I simply want to ACTIVATE MY RECEIVER, and give Directv more money to watch more TV. I do not want to buy or lease a new receiver with an additional contract committment, since I do not need any of the additional features/etc of a new receiver.

Furthermore, shouldn't this policy have been disclosed BEFORE it went into effect?

I am at my wits end with Directv. Hold times are unbelievable, and then they transfer you to another dept. When you get to that dept (example card activations), they say that there is NO direct way to reach them, the only way is to wait on hold for 20+ minutes in the customer service queue.

I am frustrated, dismayed and just sad. Maybe it is time to start looking at the flyers and offers from my cable company. At least they still pretend to care, and will work with customers to solve problems.

Yes, I have read the thread on activating receivers with no RID.

Has anyone else experienced denying activating an old receiver with an RID?

I even told them, this is just to get me to the end of the year, and then I will be happy to upgrade to all new receivers/dvrs and toss all my old junk out the window.

Sigh.

bill

#80 OFFLINE   billphx

billphx

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 01:20 PM

Yes, I have read that thread (as I indicated above.)

That thread discusses old receivers with NO RID.

I am having problems activating old receivers that HAVE A RID.

Wanting to get feedback on _this_ situation.

spam firewall