Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Need a new dish:

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Folin

Folin

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 82 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 05:11 PM

Thanks, Matt.

Got it profesionally installed...all new parts. $220.

I'm looking into the new HD DVR and DECA...looks sweet.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   lman12

lman12

AllStar

• Registered
  • 55 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 05:38 PM

Had hail damange...roofers here today and dropped/broke the sat dish. I think it's slimline 5, but not 100% or if there's a better option.

The local installer wants $300, which sounds silly. DTV will take 2 weeks to get one up. So I'd like to order online and have the roofer reinstall.

Seeing Slim 5 at Amazon for $80...but wanted to touchbase here before we order.

We have an HR20-700, HR20-100, HDVR2 and H23-600. All thru a Zin WB68.

If the hail storm was original cause of the dish being damaged, couldn't you just call Directv and have the dish replaced under the Protection Plan (provided you have the Protection Plan)?

#23 OFFLINE   Folin

Folin

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 82 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 06:55 AM

Don't have the plan. What is it, $60/yr? I don't think it'd be worth it. They often swap out receivers for no cost or shipping at most. This is the first dish that's been damaged and needed replaced.

I'd be curious if D*'s turntime on the install (2 week quote) would've been faster under the Protection Plan...

#24 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,913 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 07:12 AM

Don't have the plan. What is it, $60/yr? I don't think it'd be worth it. They often swap out receivers for no cost or shipping at most. This is the first dish that's been damaged and needed replaced.

I'd be curious if D*'s turntime on the install (2 week quote) would've been faster under the Protection Plan...

I'm pretty sure the they'll fix your dish without the Protection Plan.

The dish and receivers are covered without the PP. IIRC, you shouldn't have to pay anything to repair a damaged dish.

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#25 OFFLINE   paulman182

paulman182

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,838 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 07:40 AM

Everything I've read says the main reason to get the protection plan is so the dish and cabling will be covered.

I'm pretty sure DirecTV considers the dish as customer property.

Equipment includes a buncha stuff that I no longer have interest in detailing

#26 OFFLINE   Folin

Folin

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 82 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 08:06 AM

They wanted to charge $80 for the dish, free install...but then, based on the "poor roofer" story my wife relayed to the rep, they did say they'd waive the fee.

Oh and the hail storm didn't cause the damage any real damage...the roofer killed the dish, dropped the dish 2 stories when they were replacing the damaged roof.

Edited by Folin, 30 July 2010 - 08:32 AM.

#27 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 11:13 AM

Yes the protection plan WOULD have covered the dish damage due to hail.

HOWEVER, it will not cover the reinstallation of the dish due to the roof being replaced. It will also not cover the dish if you or the roofer damaged it during removal or reinstallation.

The protection plan would not get you a faster service date. If the calendar is full, it's full.

The dish, switches and wiring, once installed are customer owned. I can't think of the technical/legal verbage, but those parts become a "fixture" of the property in many states.
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

Protected By... spam firewall...And...