Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

How to record first run only

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   JerryMeeker

JerryMeeker

Legend

• Registered
  • 151 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 09:45 PM

I have a guilty pleasure--watching Chelsea Lately on E!. However, when I set the series manager to record only first-run episodes, it records all episodes. I notice that when I bring up the "info" page, there is no "first aired on..." date, which is peculiar. Am I stuck recording all episodes?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,529 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 09:55 PM

I have a guilty pleasure--watching Chelsea Lately on E!. However, when I set the series manager to record only first-run episodes, it records all episodes. I notice that when I bring up the "info" page, there is no "first aired on..." date, which is peculiar. Am I stuck recording all episodes?

It may not work in this case, but check out this method for recording first runs of the Daily Show on Comedy Central, which has similarly scant GUIDE data, but does update the listings at some point prior to airing. That same method also works for Colbert on Comedy Central.

I'd suggest trying lately NNOT pop and select Show Type, First Run from the "next" screen. This search should eliminate all shows with the generic description "Chelsea Handler comments on pop culture." May not work, but worth a shot.

Edited by Steve, 28 July 2010 - 06:56 AM.

/steve

#3 OFFLINE   JerryMeeker

JerryMeeker

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 151 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 06:12 AM

Thanks, Steve, I'll give this a try. Also, thanks for pointing me to the advanced search thread. I haven't really explored the search capabilities, so this is going to be an interesting read!

#4 OFFLINE   Justin23

Justin23

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 06:19 AM

I notice the same thing when recording The Soup on E!. I have it set to First Run Only but all the ep's record.

#5 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,529 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 06:46 AM

Thanks, Steve, I'll give this a try. Also, thanks for pointing me to the advanced search thread. I haven't really explored the search capabilities, so this is going to be an interesting read!

I'm on a CE right now and not running the current NR and the search is not working as expected for me. :( Advanced searching is really not a supported feature, and it has been a bit unpredictable since they introduced Smart Search.

If I try lately NNOT pop and Show Type, First Run, I get no results.

If I search for lately NNOT pop and All, I get all shows without the generic description, so I would give this a try. Since the guest star names are unique, you may not get "first runs" only, but you should only get unique episodes.
/steve

#6 OFFLINE   JerryMeeker

JerryMeeker

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 151 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 10:21 AM

I noticed an anomaly. If you search LATELY, ALL, you get the Chelsea Lately listings, and the description contains unique guest star names.

If you search HANDLER, ALL, you get the same listing of shows, but the description on all the shows is "Chelsea Handler comments on pop culture".

If you try HANDLER CCHAN 236 NNOT POP, you get no listings.

I haven't been able to figure out a way to accomplish what I want because of what I think is a pecularity with the way the program is listed.

#7 OFFLINE   LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,290 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 10:31 AM

Very rarely is the guide data for Chelsea Lately complete and rarer still can you tell what nights are new..

Here are the next few:

Mo 7/26: Frank Grillo, Greg Proops, Loni Love, Josh Wolf
Tu 7/27: Kathy Griffin, Michael Yo, Whitney Cummings, Jo Koy
We 7/28: Chicken Charlie, Chris Hardwick, Heather McDonald, Rove McManus
Th 7/29: Ron Livingston, Ross Mathews, Sarah Colonna, Guy Branum
Fr 7/30: Arsenio Hall, Chris Franjola, Christina Pazsitzky, Ross Mathews (R 7/22/10) rerun
Larry R. Flowers
Winder (Atlanta) GA
Twitter @larryflowers
HR20-700 HR23-700 H24-100
1st DirecTV Receiver Install Nov 1994
i'm a PC Guy

#8 OFFLINE   LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,290 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 10:44 AM

I have found the easiest and most reliable method for stayin up to date on late night scheduling is to go to this web page and subscribe to the RSS feeds for each show...

http://www.interbrid...om/lineups.html
Larry R. Flowers
Winder (Atlanta) GA
Twitter @larryflowers
HR20-700 HR23-700 H24-100
1st DirecTV Receiver Install Nov 1994
i'm a PC Guy

#9 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,529 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 11:09 AM

I noticed an anomaly. If you search LATELY, ALL, you get the Chelsea Lately listings, and the description contains unique guest star names.

Might want to double-check that. That search also returns shows that contain the generic description "Chelsea Handler comments on pop culture" when I try it, as it should. That's why I suggested searching for lately NNOT pop.

If you search HANDLER, ALL, you get the same listing of shows, but the description on all the shows is "Chelsea Handler comments on pop culture".

You should only get the generic shows, because the keyword handler only exists in shows with that description.

If you try HANDLER CCHAN 236 NNOT POP, you get no listings.

When you search for handler NNOT pop, you're asking for all shows that have handler in the description, but not pop. Since those two keywords always appear together ("Chelsea Handler comments on pop culture"), that condition is never met, so you shouldn't get any matches.

Bottom line is lately NNOT pop won't guarantee you'll only get "first runs", but it should guarantee you won't record the same guest star's show twice in 28 days.

Edited by Steve, 28 July 2010 - 12:29 PM.

/steve

#10 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,630 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 12:26 PM

Setting up a recurring manual recording for a certain time slot is another workaround.

spam firewall