Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

No contract

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   firered

firered

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 11:18 PM

Is it possible to get directv without signing a contact or doing the credit check?

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   epifano83

epifano83

Mentor

• Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 12:28 AM

When I first signed up with dtv I got on with no contract, i purchased some used receivers from ebay and insisted that I didn't be put on a contract as I did the install myself it took 3 try's but I finally got it done :)

I don't know if that will still work as there's been so many changes with the Co.

#3 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 12:29 AM

I think I read once (over on the site we don't mention here ;) (not that I read there or anything!)) that it was done one with a major headache and everything had to be new owned equipment (full retail price from the access card department, like $400 per DVR) and it had to be self installed.

I'm not sure where to start on this, but since the receivers supposedly have to be owned and purchased from the access card department, I would call and get to them, and not even bother trying to explain my situation to a front line CSR, just tell the CSR you are wanting to get a price for a new owned receiver and not a leased one and they should send you right over.

Good luck, I think you will need it! :)
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased
Owned H25-700 and H24-700 off and packed for the move.

DIRECTV subscriber since Nov. 2009

#4 OFFLINE   nevea2be

nevea2be

Legend

• Registered
  • 172 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 05:23 AM

If you "buy" a DVR do you still have to pay the $7 a month to use it?

#5 OFFLINE   mcbeevee

mcbeevee

97% Complete

• Registered
  • 1,283 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 05:32 AM

If you only have one receiver, there is no monthly charge. If you have more than one receiver, each one has a $5/mth charge. The name of the charge will be different based on whether the receiver is leased or owned.

:)

#6 OFFLINE   redhot

redhot

Mentor

• Registered
  • 49 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 05:46 AM

If you only have one receiver, there is no monthly charge. If you have more than one receiver, each one has a $5/mth charge. The name of the charge will be different based on whether the receiver is leased or owned.

I thought it was $7 per household. 1 or more dvrs.

#7 OFFLINE   bixler

bixler

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 06:06 AM

Yes, that's correct. $7 per account to have DVR service and $10 per account for HD service (if you can't get the credit for that). Each receiver after your 1st one (doesn't matter if it's SD, HD, SD DVR, or HD DVR) you are charged $5 per month to mirror your programming from your 1st receiver to all other receivers.

So 4 HD DVRS, without the $10 HD credit, would cost $32 per month. $7 DVR + $10 HD + $15 (2nd, 3rd, and 4th mirror).
Slimline5.....SWM 8.....SWS-8 8 way splitter
PI feeds SWS-8 splitter and HR 21-100 in Media Room 0x62c 3:59am 12/18/12
SWS-8 splitter feeds HR 22-100 in Family Room 0x62c 3:59am 12/18/12 wireless ethernet connection via Linksys WET610N
SWS-8 splitter feeds HR 22-100 in Master Bedroom 0x62c 3:59am 12/18/12
SWS-8 splitter feeds H 21-100 in Guest Bedroom 0x45d2 3:27am 6/27/12

#8 OFFLINE   mcbeevee

mcbeevee

97% Complete

• Registered
  • 1,283 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 06:09 AM

There is an extra $7/mth DVR service fee that covers every DVR in the household. The receiver fee is $5:

Is the monthly lease fee different for different equipment?

The monthly lease fee is $5.00 per receiver, though we waive this fee on your first receiver. This low monthly fee is the same for standard receivers, DVRs, HD receivers and HD DVRs.

Link

#9 OFFLINE   redhot

redhot

Mentor

• Registered
  • 49 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 06:30 AM

Okay.......I am in a no contract term now. I have been a Directv customer since 1996. I have 2 SD Tivo Dvrs now. I am thinking of upgrading to 2 Hd dvrs with MRV whole house connected with VOD. From what I read I should be getting HR24 dvrs with VOD, is that correct? I have total choice now with Starz and am paying $91 a month. Thanks for any replies.

#10 OFFLINE   DogLover

DogLover

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,510 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 06:41 AM

Okay.......I am in a no contract term now. I have been a Directv customer since 1996. I have 2 SD Tivo Dvrs now. I am thinking of upgrading to 2 Hd dvrs with MRV whole house connected with VOD. From what I read I should be getting HR24 dvrs with VOD, is that correct? I have total choice now with Starz and am paying $91 a month. Thanks for any replies.

You could get any HD DVR, HR20, HR21, HR22, HR23, or HR24. Directv does not differentiate. Upgrading to whole house connected with VOD will increase your chance of getting an HR24, but will not guarantee it. There is a shortage in some areas, and you are often limited by what the installer has available.

If you have to have an HR24, you can find them online. They are often at a slightly lower lease price than Directv's full lease price. If Directv is offering you a discount, you can sometimes get them to credit that discount for you to lease them elsewhere.
DogLover

My Setup

#11 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 07:54 PM

Monthly programming costs don't change at all for owned vs. leased receivers. The only things that change are:

- you pay more for owned receivers, but don't have a contract
- you pay less for leased receivers, in trade for a contract.
- you generally get free install with leased receivers, but usually have to pay or install your owned receivers yourself.

#12 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 07:12 AM

Is it possible to get directv without signing a contact or doing the credit check?

Without a credit check, yes, but they charge you something extra like $200-$300 up front depending on the equipment you get and refund it back to you at like $5/month.

Without a contract. No, unless you live in an mdu (which MAY have changed). When I was involved mdu subs could get month to month but got no discounts of any type.

#13 OFFLINE   JustSo

JustSo

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 11:53 AM

I have a related question: I am currently out of contract, but I have leased receivers. I'm going to be out of state for a few months. Would I be able to take one of my current receivers to the new location and setup a temporary, new account at said location? I would like to have DTV at the new location, but I don't really want to enter into a 24-month contract just to have it, since I'll only be there until January.

#14 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 09:36 PM

You cannot move receivers between accounts and you cannot have receivers active in more than one location at a time.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...