Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

ViP922 - S108 Software Experiences/Bugs Discuss

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,918 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 28 July 2010 - 12:58 AM

New version begin spooling:

23:39:52 07/27/10 PID_0870: 0RWC S108 1533

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   olguy

olguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 08:33 AM

Still can't transfer to an EHD.
Just another old geezer killin' time till time kills me.

#3 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 19,918 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 11:20 AM

Without internal notes we are shooting in a dark. :(

#4 OFFLINE   rcpilot82

rcpilot82

AllStar

• Registered
  • 66 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 10:54 AM

All I can say is that with S107 and earlier the network apps Weather, My Account, Sling and Help wouldn't work and would require a reboot when selected. With S108 they now all work.
Setup - Living Room:
HR20-700 (Direct HDMI connection to TV)
H21-100 (Direct HDMI connection to TV)
Onkyo TX-SR705
Sony KDS-60A2000
Vizio
Harmony 880 Remote
XBox360
PS3
Aperion 7.1 Speaker System

#5 OFFLINE   sulu600

sulu600

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 10:56 AM

Dish has been out of the MT2 OTA modules for months now. The latest contact with them suggested I purchase one from a commercial vendor. I found one for the same price as Dish and installed it in my VIP922 today. Went to the setup, local channel menu and scanned in my locals from the OTA antenna and it only found 2 of the 19 stations that both of my HDTV's ota receivers are picking up. Removed the splitter from the coax and connected the coax from the antenna directly to the module, rescanned and still only two channels. Is the MT2 OTA module receiver really weak? I call Dish advance tech support and they had no issues on file about the OTA module in the VIP922. They told me that I may need to add the stations manually, but with the 108 update, that option was removed. Suggested that it may be a weak receiver issue. I am going to try a pre-amp and see if that boosts the signal enough to receive the OTA brodcasts.

#6 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,703 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 04 August 2010 - 12:28 PM

They told me that I may need to add the stations manually, but with the 108 update, that option was removed.

First-off... there has never been any way to manually add OTA channels on the 922. I'm sorry if someone told you it was "removed" because it simply has never been there... and I've even asked for it myself (not that I have that kind of power over Dish mind you).

Meanwhile... something to keep in mind is that the OTA module is a dual tuner OTA module, so it does split the signal inside the receiver... which means IF you have marginal strength from your local stations, this could be a make/break point that results in the 922 not picking up something your HDTV might.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#7 OFFLINE   olguy

olguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 12:53 PM

I have OTA running to a 622 and my 922 which has the Dish OTA module in it. When I check signal strength the OTA channels are stronger on the 922.

#8 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 19,918 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 01:15 PM

I have OTA running to a 622 and my 922 which has the Dish OTA module in it. When I check signal strength the OTA channels are stronger on the 922.

Sorry to disappoint you, but you got signal LEVEL reading is higher - not the signal itself.

#9 OFFLINE   sulu600

sulu600

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 04:07 PM

First-off... there has never been any way to manually add OTA channels on the 922. I'm sorry if someone told you it was "removed" because it simply has never been there... and I've even asked for it myself (not that I have that kind of power over Dish mind you).

Meanwhile... something to keep in mind is that the OTA module is a dual tuner OTA module, so it does split the signal inside the receiver... which means IF you have marginal strength from your local stations, this could be a make/break point that results in the 922 not picking up something your HDTV might.

OK, thanks for that info...you assume when you get the "Advance" tech group, they know a little about the products. What I don't under stand is that this is the exact same OTA module that I had in the VIP722 that the VIP922 replaced, right? When I had my 722's OTA attached to a splitter feeding it and another TV, it actually received more digital channels that the TV did. When I do a signal strength comparison of the channels I am getting out of Louisville, the NBC is the strongest, however the only signals that the module I installed today received were the FOX and CW channels, which are about mid range in signal strength. I tried a 10db amp, but that did no good either, so I sent the MT2 OTA module back to the vendor and got another one on the way.

Also, you say that the MT2 OTA is a dual tuner module. I don't recall being able to watch two different OTA channels at the same time using PIP on the 722. The manual that came with the MT2 OTA module didn't say anything about two tuners. Is it limited to watch one and record another OTA channel?

#10 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 19,918 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 04:17 PM

The number "2" in the name of the module is the sigh of two independent OTA tuners. Doesn't matter if DVR doesn't provide access to both same time, like PIP, it's still give you use for record and viewing/recording two OTA channels.

#11 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,703 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 04 August 2010 - 07:34 PM

Also, you say that the MT2 OTA is a dual tuner module. I don't recall being able to watch two different OTA channels at the same time using PIP on the 722. The manual that came with the MT2 OTA module didn't say anything about two tuners. Is it limited to watch one and record another OTA channel?

To be sure we aren't confusing things (hard to tell sometimes on the internet)...

The ViP722 had a built-in OTA tuner, single tuner probably the same as the ViP622.

The ViP722K and 922 have the same optional OTA module, a dual tuner module. I would assume that if you had a 722K and a 922 in the exact same location and used the same OTA module, your experience would be the same. I honestly can't think of a reason why the experience would be different hardware-wise. BUT, I suppose the firmware could be different in how they process the OTA... which would be goofy and unexpected, though I can't say it isn't possible.

BUT... I would expect to see lower signal on a 722K/922 than on a 722/622 since the input is split... so if you truly replaced a ViP722 (non-K) with a 922, then you could see some differences if you had some borderline channels with your antenna config.

On either a 722K or a 922, you should have the capability to watch or record 2 OTA channels at the same time. (Of course you also could use the 2 SAT tuners at the same time as well... so that's 4 simultaneous recordings that could be in progress).

I honestly can't say that I've read the manual that relates to the module... as I plugged it in and it just worked... but I'd like to think it at least hints at the dual-tuner capabilities.

#12 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 19,918 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 08:09 PM

Historical tid-bit: the current ViP922 (it's marketing name) has original designator ViP722s and share same component wise main-board.

#13 OFFLINE   olguy

olguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 07:53 AM

Sorry to disappoint you, but you got signal LEVEL reading is higher - not the signal itself.

So you're telling me the screen with the signal meter that is labeled Signal Strength is labeled wrong? That what is being measured is not the signal strength but the signal level? And the difference between signal strength and signal level is what?

#14 OFFLINE   ZBoomer

ZBoomer

Icon

• Registered
  • 529 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 10:50 AM

Another data-point tuner wise; my 922 with OTA module picks up the same channels my previous 722 did (pre 722k). It does show a lower signal strength when displaying the channel on the meter, but when inside the OTA setup screen, it shows higher strength, about what my 722 did.

So it looks like the re-calibrated the signal strength meter on the viewing screen.
Hopper 2000, 2x Joey 1.0 Dish Receivers, "America's Everything pack" with PlatHD
Pioneer Kuro PDP-6010FD 60" Plasma Display on Hopper (me), Samsung 40" LCD on Joey #1 (wife), Dell ST2410 HD Monitor on Joey #2 (office.)
Pioneer VSX-1018AH-K AVR Receiver, PS3, Klipsch Reference-Series Speakers

#15 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 19,918 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 11:44 AM

So you're telling me the screen with the signal meter that is labeled Signal Strength is labeled wrong? That what is being measured is not the signal strength but the signal level? And the difference between signal strength and signal level is what?

Signal level could be measured by special equipment and would be in µVRMS or dBμV. More reading is here.

The receivers and DVR did measure the signal level but calculating/shows in own units - %% or points or who knows what.

#16 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,703 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 05 August 2010 - 12:37 PM

As P Smith noted... it is somewhat a matter of semantics... but the Dish 100% scale on the OTA meter isn't qualified as to what it actually measures either.

So not only is it not representative of a specific unit of measure of signal strength... we don't know if it is measuring actual signal strength OR signal-to-noise ratio inside the receiver before putting it up on the 100% scale.

#17 OFFLINE   olguy

olguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 08:25 PM

As P Smith noted... it is somewhat a matter of semantics... but the Dish 100% scale on the OTA meter isn't qualified as to what it actually measures either.

So not only is it not representative of a specific unit of measure of signal strength... we don't know if it is measuring actual signal strength OR signal-to-noise ratio inside the receiver before putting it up on the 100% scale.

And since I'm probably only barely above the average subscriber in technical knowledge I just call it signal strength like the label on the meter. And the 922 meter doesn't help an old worn out fool like me either what with the top of the meter going to 125 and then the strength reported in %. Oh well, as long as I get enough ones and zeros from the antennae in the attic to let me watch my local PBS in HD I'm happy. :lol:

#18 OFFLINE   sulu600

sulu600

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 11:05 AM

I returned the MT2 OTA module that would only receive 2 of the 19 local stations and received another one today. Installed it and low and behold :D, all 19 channels show up on the scan list. Guess it was just a defective module and it's great to have all the extra local channels without the latency from the sat.

#19 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,703 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 09 August 2010 - 01:41 PM

That's good to hear!

I wouldn't think there would be too many bad modules out there... but someone is bound to get one I guess.

#20 OFFLINE   Rotryrkt

Rotryrkt

Legend

• Registered
  • 133 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 04:45 PM

Since the S108 update, I have not been able to get the 32.0 remote to link with the 922. The receiver locked up during the reboot after the upgrade and apparently corrupted the hardware somehow. It is showing "Transceiver Firmware version "0000".

I have been working with advanced tech to resolve this. They have been very cooperative and helpful throughout. They are not very forthcoming with info on what was in the package or version numbers of firmware. They even sent a replacement remote and it too would not link with the 922. They wanted to just send me a new box, but I said I would like to wait for the next update to see if it might correct itself. Also, since archiving to the EHD is not yet available, I can't save some of the stuff on the receiver HDD that I don't want to lose.

Could someone whose remote is not having problems check their system info screen and let me know what you are showing as the Transceiver Firmware version? I am in a holding pattern using an old IR remote till the next update which will hopefully be "soon".:sure:
2-HR24-500, 1-H25-500 WHDVR, Wireless CCK
S-3 SWM Dish
OTA Winegard HD7698P Rooftop

Protected By... spam firewall...And...