Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Water your pole revisited

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   sstv

sstv

Legend

• Registered
  • 223 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 06:14 AM

Hi all
Awhile back, I posted about Sat signal levels going down when the soil near my backyard dish dried out and watering my pole would improve the signals.
The signals would never got back to where they were but was good enough.
Well, after a hot dry summer in Dallas, the signals got very poor and watering did not help much.
After a call to DTV, a DTV truck shows up with a with a tech that seemed to know his business and after a checkout of my pole, we decided to put the dish back on the roof. Goodby $75.00
Dallas soil is "black gumbo" and if it ever drys on your shoes, you have to throw your shoes away.
The roof mount works fine so I decide to pull the pole. A little side to side push on the pole and it pops right out of the ground.
Now I know why the pole was not stable. The hole was 21" deep, no belled out bottom and only 7" of concrete arund the top part of the pole leaving the bottom 14" of the pole with nothing around it.
My wife called DTV and they said nothing could be done because the pole was installed a year ago but they gave her 3 months of starz so its not a complete lose.
I should have kept a eye on the original install.
live and learn.:(

SSTV
since :(94

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,853 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 28 July 2010 - 07:03 AM

Hi all
Awhile back, I posted about Sat signal levels going down when the soil near my backyard dish dried out and watering my pole would improve the signals.
Well, after a hot dry summer in Dallas, the signals got very poor and watering did not help much.
After a call to DTV, a DTV truck shows up with a with a tech that seemed to know his business and after a checkout of my pole, we decided to put the dish back on the roof. Goodby $75.00
Dallas soil is "black gumbo" and if it ever drys on your shoes, you have to throw your shoes away.
The roof mount works fine so I decide to pull the pole. A little side to side push on the pole and it pops right out of the ground.
Now I know why the pole was not stable. The hole was 21" deep, no belled out bottom and only 7" of concrete arund the top part of the pole leaving the bottom 14" of the pole with nothing around it.
My wife called DTV and they said nothing could be done because the pole was installed a year ago but they gave her 3 months of starz so its not a complete lose.

SSTV

Just a quick note. As I first read your post, I thought you were saying there was something about the soil that was directly impacting signal strength, and thought: no way. Sounds like voodoo to me.:)

What you were really saying was the mounting job was poor and did not properly anchor the pole, so it would stay in position. So what you really had was an unstable mount causing the dish to go out of alignment. It just took me a few seconds to process your description.:)

SSTV as a screen name? Are you really that big a fan of Slow Scan TeleVision? I know it's kinda fun, but really?

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

#3 OFFLINE   sstv

sstv

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 223 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 07:46 AM

Hi Hasan
If its digital, I like it.
I have been slow scanning for years and its been a Hoot

SSTV (KC5YQ)
since 94

#4 ONLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,408 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 28 July 2010 - 08:34 AM

Hi all

SSTV

Your best bet would be to add a couple of supporting poles connected to the vertical pole, one pointed North or South, the other one pointed East or West.
The more support you have the better.

Having said that, a lot depends on the ground you have it stuck into.
I live in Texas City, TX and the ground here is mostly clay. It moves a lot when the ground dries out and then moves again when it gets wet. I have piers under the foundation all around my house that are bell bottomed and 12 feet deep and my house still shifts enough to make a couple of doors hard to open and close when it gets dry.

Bottom line: You need to be able to adjust the alignment of your dish for yourself because it will surely alway move a little bit and that is all it takes.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#5 OFFLINE   Lee L

Lee L

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,134 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 08:43 AM

Expansive clay soils are a pain. You would have to dig a pretty large footing to avoid any movement.

DirecTV, please don't make me have to go back to watching March Madness in standard Def! Oh, and the usual begging for AMC and BBC America. You are so close to actually being the HD Leader.

spam firewall