Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Question about replacing old equipment.

satellite

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   IBJammin

IBJammin

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 02:28 PM

Right now I have a old 522 receiver with a 500 dish. Tuner 2 on my receiver quit working a while back plus I am wanting to start getting HD programming. I have looked at different options as far as what would be the best and cheapest route to go. I thought about maybe getting the 722 to run my 2 tv's along with the 1000 plus dish. But prices on the 722 seem kind of high right now and I am reading where some people are having trouble with their hard drives on them. Then I thought about maybe getting 1 vip 612 DVR for my HD tv which would give me 2 tuners to record with on my main tv and then get me a 311 to go on the second tv which is not used much. Also, if I was to go with the two receivers, how would I then hooked them up?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   boba

boba

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 06:18 PM

I don't like the complaints on the 612 so my personal choice would be 2, 211K receivers with 2, hard drives creating 2 DVRs with interchangable hard drives. Second 211 gives HDTV for future upgrade of your 2nd TV and a second tuner for recording.

#3 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 06:58 PM

You can only do a lease upgrade once per year, so you need to look carefully at your needs projected out at least that far. Figure out if you need HD on both TVs or not, and if you need DVR service on both TVs or not. That will help you determine which receiver combinations are best for you.

#4 OFFLINE   IBJammin

IBJammin

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 03:51 PM

According to Dish Network's website, the 211k is not a DVR receiver. I want to make sure that my main receiver is a DVR.

#5 OFFLINE   boba

boba

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 04:23 PM

According to Dish Network's website, the 211k is not a DVR receiver. I want to make sure that my main receiver is a DVR.

DO SOME MORE READING OF THE FORUMS. It appears we know more about the products, and for $39.99 DISH will make the 211K into a DVR with an external Hard Drive that you can move from one 211 to another. You can also change the size of the Hard Drive.:)

#6 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,637 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 06:53 PM

Right now I have a old 522 receiver with a 500 dish. Tuner 2 on my receiver quit working a while back plus I am wanting to start getting HD programming. I have looked at different options as far as what would be the best and cheapest route to go. I thought about maybe getting the 722 to run my 2 tv's along with the 1000 plus dish. But prices on the 722 seem kind of high right now and I am reading where some people are having trouble with their hard drives on them. Then I thought about maybe getting 1 vip 612 DVR for my HD tv which would give me 2 tuners to record with on my main tv and then get me a 311 to go on the second tv which is not used much. Also, if I was to go with the two receivers, how would I then hooked them up?

The cheapest route is to go with the 722k,make sure you have plenty of ventilation(don't put in entertainment center,plug into a surge suppressor) get Dish's Protection Plan just in case.:sure:

Hookup your second TV with the RG6 on TV2(SD).If you later get a second HDTV,run a HDMI connection to it,while using the Component cables with audio cables for the first HDTV(as long as there are not 2 persons wanting different programming at the same time) all the outputs on the back are active at all times.;)

To me that's the cheapest route,1DuoHDDVR.Good Luck!:)

#7 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 07:36 PM

A 211K is not a DVR, but it can be made into a single-tuner DVR. This is done by purchasing an external USB-connected hard drive (must have its own power, so 2.5" drives are out) and paying Dish a one-time-per-account fee of $39 to activate DVR functionality. There is no monthly DVR fee.

#8 OFFLINE   IBJammin

IBJammin

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 10:05 AM

Thanks for you guys help. I did not realize the 211K could be use as a DVR. That might be the best solution for me to go is to do like boba mentioned is with 2 211K receivers. After researching my original plan of the vip 612 and 311 solo, I see where the 612 does apparently seem to have issues that I do not want to deal with and then I realize I could get a 722 cheaper than the other 2 receivers. But as Jhon69 mentioned, I did read alot of complaints of the 722 overheating easily and other issues as well. I would be putting it in my entertainment center where there is not much air space. The 211k seems to be more of a simpler more stable receiver that does not seem to have the bells and whistles of the 612 or 722 which I am fine with. I mean I was content with my old 522. Where can I get a hard drive from for the 211k and about how much do they cost? I really do appreciate you guys helping me. This probably has save me some money and alot of headaches.

#9 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,637 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 01:36 AM

Thanks for you guys help. I did not realize the 211K could be use as a DVR. That might be the best solution for me to go is to do like boba mentioned is with 2 211K receivers. After researching my original plan of the vip 612 and 311 solo, I see where the 612 does apparently seem to have issues that I do not want to deal with and then I realize I could get a 722 cheaper than the other 2 receivers. But as Jhon69 mentioned, I did read alot of complaints of the 722 overheating easily and other issues as well. I would be putting it in my entertainment center where there is not much air space. The 211k seems to be more of a simpler more stable receiver that does not seem to have the bells and whistles of the 612 or 722 which I am fine with. I mean I was content with my old 522. Where can I get a hard drive from for the 211k and about how much do they cost? I really do appreciate you guys helping me. This probably has save me some money and alot of headaches.

There is a way if you must put a 722k in an entertainment center,get a little fan and have it blow on the 722k.;)

It's your decision but remember your going from a 2 tuner DVR to a 1 tuner HDDVR if you think you can live with it then go for it.Myself when I have to changeover I will take the 722k because I keep on my account the $6. Dish Protection Plan and I prefer the 2 tuner Duo DVR.:)

Edited by Jhon69, 31 July 2010 - 01:44 AM.

#10 OFFLINE   jsk

jsk

Icon

• Registered
  • 720 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 04:25 PM

Call E* to see if you are eligible for a "free" upgrade to a 622/722. The reason I put free in quotes is because you still have to pay for a service call for them to install a new dish. It is cheapest to add DHPP, order the service call and cancel DHPP.
Dish Player DVR 722K with OTA module connected to the Eastern Arc

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: satellite

Protected By... spam firewall...And...