Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Internal drive available after removing eSata?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dervari

dervari

Icon

• Registered
  • 777 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 06:14 AM

If I install an eStata on my HR20-700, I know it disabled the internal drive. Seems to me they could just set the internal drive to be RO.

Anyway, if I remove the eStata drive, will the original recordings still be on the original drive? And if I reconnect it, will the recordings on the eStata still be there as they were before I removed it?

Thanks.
Richard
Sr Network Engineer

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   oldbamaguy

oldbamaguy

Legend

• Registered
  • 203 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 06:33 AM

Baring the unforeseen, if you boot up with an eSATA attached and powered on, the DirecTV system will run off the eSATA. I believe that if you unplug the HD-DVR and power off the eSATA, then power the HD-DVR back on and the system would boot up and run off the internal drive. Whatever was on the eSATA or the internal drive should still be there such as favorites, todo and recordings. Unplug the HD-DVR, turn on the eSATA, boot up and you should be back on the eSATA. The HDMI cable can be delicate so I would not plug and unplug it too much.
Good Luck!!
Eniwetok Atoll 1958
and I was There!!

Two HR20-100s, a HR21-100 and a HR22NC-100, four 2tb eSATAs, four non-beeping UPSs, a Zinwell MS6X8WB-Z, router-modem, Windows 7 PC/Wii feeding a 32" Visio, a Windows Vista/Ubuntu Linux dual boot PC, local p2p network

#3 OFFLINE   Mark_M

Mark_M

AllStar

• Registered
  • 82 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 07:03 AM

… Anyway, if I remove the eStata drive, will the original recordings still be on the original drive? And if I reconnect it, will the recordings on the eStata still be there as they were before I removed it?

Thanks.

During my recent Whole Home DVR upgrade I removed my external drive from my HR20-700 so it wouldn’t be in the installers way or get knocked around. All of the recordings were still in place on the internal unit. The only thing that I noticed is that the guide data was not up to date and had to rebuild itself, so it looks like the guide data is stored on the active drive. After the install I shut down the unit and put the external drive back in place and all of its recordings were still in place.
Mark
HR20-700
HR20-100
HR24-100
Toshiba 42H81
D* customer since 1996

#4 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,380 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 29 July 2010 - 07:38 AM

During my recent Whole Home DVR upgrade I removed my external drive from my HR20-700 so it wouldn’t be in the installers way or get knocked around. All of the recordings were still in place on the internal unit. The only thing that I noticed is that the guide data was not up to date and had to rebuild itself, so it looks like the guide data is stored on the active drive. After the install I shut down the unit and put the external drive back in place and all of its recordings were still in place.

That should be how they work. No recordings should be lost on either the internal or the external. Reformatting is an anomaly. Might happen, but I've never seen one do it.

Rich

#5 OFFLINE   dervari

dervari

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 777 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 10:33 AM

Thanks, all. I just received a Toshiba 1TB drive for free through a bonus program at work. I was going to use it for a file server but found out it had an eSata connection!! Also found that the drive does work with the HR20, so I figured what the heck. :)
Richard
Sr Network Engineer

Protected By... spam firewall...And...