Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Want to prewire before install. What do I need?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   996911

Go Pack!

• Registered
  • 809 posts
  • LocationTobacco Road, NC

Posted 29 July 2010 - 09:15 AM

Here is my current setup:
HR20
R15

I want to add another HD-DVR to the setup. What do I need to run before I call D* so the installer doesn't need to do a thing (or has very little to do)?

If there is more info I need to provide to help out please let me know.

By the way, is $199 the going rate for the HD DVR?

Thanks in advance for the help!:righton:

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,531 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 29 July 2010 - 09:40 AM

Your going to need a legacy multiswitch (WB68 or workalike) so there's not a whole lot you can do unless you have a burning desire to empty your billfold.

Where the two cable runs need to go is entirely dependent on where the multiswitch goes and there's not much hope of anticipating that. About the only head start that I could see happening is that you run a fourth cable from the dish down to the ground block. DO NOT terminate any cables that you provide as the installer will have to cut off and replace anything you put on.

In the long run, your time and money may be better spent making sure that the installer has easy and uncluttered access to everything.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#3 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,860 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 10:15 AM

Here I must agree with harsh. By and large the installers use the best quality cable and connectors and are fairly expert at doing the wiring. I would ensure that the areas to be wired are clean and ready for his use.

At this point you may choose to go for the connected home install, as it will upgrade you to SWiM-capable receivers (likely replacing your R15 with an R16) and putting a SWiM-enabled head on your dish. Not only that you get the DECA adapters and MRV setup. It is a bit pricey but if done while adding a new receiver there may be some wiggle room.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#4 OFFLINE   996911

Go Pack!

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 809 posts
  • LocationTobacco Road, NC

Posted 29 July 2010 - 10:42 AM

Thanks guys, that's what I was thinking would be the answer. Damn. Just wanted to make life easier for the installer. The new HDDVR will be located in a home theater that is currently under construction and to get the coax to the unit will require a pretty decent run through the attic from where the dish is to where the box will go.

When the initial install was done (about 4 years ago) I knew we would only have 2 boxes so I ran 4 coax lines from where the dish would mount all the way to where the two units were in the house.

spam firewall