Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Slow HR20-700...all of a sudden?

• Please log in to reply
148 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   billgrayny

billgrayny

Legend

• Registered
  • 115 posts
  • LocationIthaca, NY

Posted 31 July 2010 - 06:39 PM

After less than a day with CE 0405, the HR20-700 is fast again.

So time will tell...

AU9S SlimLine to SWM8
HR44-700 HDMI to VIZIO VW42LF, Native ON
1.5 TB WD15EARS eSATA HDD
DD5.1 Audio via optical to AV Rcvr
DECA, TVersity
H21-100 HDMI to VIZIO VX37L, Native ON

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   davring

davring

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,392 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 06:46 PM

I have two HR20-700's, one with an internal 1.5 TB drive, and I have seen no change in speed at all. Periodically they may slow for a short time(under an hour) but come back to speed without any action on my part. THey have both been this ways for many, many months, I figured they were busy with some housekeeping or something.
HR20-700(2.0TB)>Sony XBR-55HX929
HR20-700>Sony KDL40V2500
OTA RS outdoor ant
Hardwire networked to Cysco Router 6.0 AT&T DSL
MRV enabled
R15-500>Samsung LNT2342H
DirecTV customer since 1997

#23 OFFLINE   dc_soccerdude

dc_soccerdude

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 01:06 PM

I have 2 slow HR20-700's as well. Has been going on now for a few weeks and just recently one began dropping out audio/video on trickplay only (just posted that problem in another 20-700 thread).

One has internal and the other 1.5T external e-Sata. As most have indicated they have slowed down and then improved again over the years as new releases have come out. This time they are so bad both my wife and daughter are complaining which means its right up there with the worst slow down ever.

Ok so we all know it happens and doing an RBR or cleaning up the drive may help but we usually just have to wait for the next release. That said I want to throw out something that may or may not be new but I just did it out of curiosity and it seems to have helped both the trickplay and slow down.

That is I rebooted my IP router & switch at the same time. I use a hardwired Ethernet network for MRV and I sometimes have to reboot the systems including the router/swtich (1-2 times a month) if they can't see each other. I just did it and now it works during trick play and the guide comes up as fast as it ever has (which for the 20-700 is pretty quick but of course nothing stellar).

All things being considered with the older processors that previously just had to worry about satellite decoding and DVR duties but now with MRV and On Demand have to monitor the IP network is it possible that some type of IP link degradation or flooding is dragging down the processor as we all know it can do on our laptops and computers?

Grabbing at straws but hey I'm working now and an RBR yesterday didn't help at all...... Guess I will see how long it lasts :)

#24 OFFLINE   billgrayny

billgrayny

Legend

• Registered
  • 115 posts
  • LocationIthaca, NY

Posted 02 August 2010 - 07:21 PM

After less than a day with CE 0405, the HR20-700 is fast again.

So time will tell...

Well, the HR20-700 is back to very slow performance. It is taking 7-8 seconds to bring up the guide and almost as long to exit to the channel screen.

Also I notice (and this may be the CE software) that frequently when I bring up the guide, the normal channel stays in the background and the PIG is blank.

AU9S SlimLine to SWM8
HR44-700 HDMI to VIZIO VW42LF, Native ON
1.5 TB WD15EARS eSATA HDD
DD5.1 Audio via optical to AV Rcvr
DECA, TVersity
H21-100 HDMI to VIZIO VX37L, Native ON

#25 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,582 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 08:09 PM

I have a 20-100 and a 20-700. Neither is peppy, but neither has ever been, and neither is even close to as slow as described here. I've seen no change.

Compared to DISH DVRs, all HR's are slow, even the '24. The DISH DVRs are like driving a Ferrari. But a Ferrari that won't go where you point it, as they are also notorious for not recording what you want and deleting entire HDDs at the drop of a hat. I'd rather have the slow-but-sure HR's, thankyouverymuch.

Those that have slowness, are you also networked? Pull the ethernet cable out and see if the speed increases (you may have to RBR to see the difference).
It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#26 OFFLINE   Groundhog45

Groundhog45

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,118 posts
  • LocationCedar Park, Texas

Posted 02 August 2010 - 08:19 PM

I've noticed that one of my HR20-700s has been slower for several weeks. By contrast, the HR20-100 hasn't changed much and is still pretty quick. I hope the -700s will get better soon.

Richard -- DirecTV since '97
Team SETI.USA

#27 OFFLINE   kokishin

kokishin

Godfather

• Registered
  • 457 posts
  • LocationSilicon Valley, CA

Posted 02 August 2010 - 09:07 PM

Have 2 HR20700's and both are very slow ie menu changes, fast forwards, return to menu. Basically, the same as other postings. I do not have external HD's. Since both are slow, it seems to me that the units are not to fault. Resets did not help the problem either..

Ditto!

#28 OFFLINE   ctwilliams

ctwilliams

Legend

• Registered
  • 129 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 09:14 PM

I just dropped by to see if others were having this issue with their hr20-700s and found this thread. It has been going on about two weeks or so. The channel changes have become VERY slow.

Had to have been a firmware change?

CT

#29 OFFLINE   ardent

ardent

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 02:23 AM

My HD DVR (HR20-700) receiver has been increasingly slow over the past 2 weeks, then today it became nearly unwatchable. I reset it, same problem. Reset it again 0 2 4 8 to redownload the firmware, same problem still.

This is not an exaggeration, while reading through the threads my directv went into screensaver mode:
- Multi-Room disabled
- Nothing recording
- Screensaver is not a smooth float around like normal, meaning its having problems displaying that bouncing directv logo properly

The menus take quite a while, fastforward/rewind take a while, and watching tv shows causes tons of audio lag, but if you pause, rewind, play, you *might* be able to hear the audio a second time around.... so its not the signal.

Should I call DirecTV and request a new unit? I have the protection plan.

Thanks..

Edited by ardent, 04 August 2010 - 04:09 AM.

#30 OFFLINE   jgrade

jgrade

Godfather

• Registered
  • 487 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 07:26 AM

I don't use my HR20-700 too often since it is in the basement where my kids play, but I have noticed that MRV from that machine is terrible. Over the past week, watching programs recorded on the HR20 take forever to start, fast forward and resume. I have also noticed that programs are not playing with the correct audio stream; no longer getting DD 5.1 info.
A flute without holes, is not a flute. A doughnut without a hole, is a danish.

Samsung HL-S7478W
DirecTV HR20-700
Sony STR-DA3300ES

#31 OFFLINE   dd5087

dd5087

Mentor

• Registered
  • 55 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 12 August 2010 - 08:11 AM

I don't think this is just associated with the HR20-700. I have an HR20-100 and my son has an HR21-100 and both of ours is very slow when in the Guide. It has been this way for a number of weeks. I have tried the reset but it does nothing to improve it.
HR24-200

#32 OFFLINE   PlanetBill

PlanetBill

Icon

• Registered
  • 582 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 09:14 AM

family has been complaining about ours too. :(
HR20-700 (DECA), HR24, HR22 (DECA),
HR21(DECA),H23(DECA),R15

#33 OFFLINE   kingram52

kingram52

AllStar

• Registered
  • 55 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 02:46 PM

My HR20-100 has been slow for several weeks now.

#34 OFFLINE   Kevin L

Kevin L

AllStar

• DBSTalk Club
  • 92 posts
  • LocationSouthwest Florida

Posted 13 August 2010 - 07:26 AM

All three of my HR20-100s are very slow. Started in the last couple of weeks.

#35 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,745 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 13 August 2010 - 08:53 AM

Yeah mine got slow last night again.

#36 OFFLINE   carsonius

carsonius

Mentor

• Registered
  • 36 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 06:23 PM

Include me too. Slow channel changes, menus and, I'll sometimes get video but no audio. I pause the live stream, or recording, for a couple of seconds and the audio returns.

I must say I love this site for the quick "pulse of the brethren" to see if it's only me having a particular problem.

I thought it might be just me since I recently added a gigabit switch, a WD TV Live HD, and another TV on a Monoprice HDMI splitter and thought it could have been any of those that were causing the problem. Not that any of this could be contributing to it...

#37 OFFLINE   rebkell

rebkell

Godfather

• Registered
  • 467 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 03:51 PM

HR20-100 doing the same, slow and sluggish. Normally mine is this way if it's been sitting most of the day and no one has been around. If I start pushing buttons and using the box, it seems to start working a lot quicker.

Had a new problem today, came in and sat down and it was on FX-HD and the whole video was jittery. I changed channels and got the Searching for sat signal on all the HD channels, even FX-HD when I tried to change back. Checked the signals and they all seemed fine upper 80's to 90's, certainly not low enough that I would be losing signals. Finally gave it the RBR and now everything seems to be working ok.

My sluggishness seems to be more related to idle time(if I'm not interacting with the remote for a while, it's like it starts some kind of processor heavy background task and is occupying the box. Reminds me of Netscape or some PC program that is open and has to swap out memory before it starts responding normally.

Also just noticed that my favorites list was missing all the newer HD channels I added to it, the new Showtimes, Starz, HBO, TMC, Lifetime HD, the Hallmark HD and WGN HD the ones that got added first were still there, but the latest additions had disappeared from my favorites list.

Edited by rebkell, 14 August 2010 - 04:05 PM.

#38 OFFLINE   slapshot1959

slapshot1959

Legend

• Registered
  • 194 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 08:19 AM

same here.

#39 OFFLINE   mgroups

mgroups

AllStar

• Registered
  • 54 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 08:02 PM

My HR20-100 has been slow for several weeks now.

Likewise, for at least a couple of weeks. Much worse tonight, which is why I looked for this thread. Resetting doesn't help.

#40 OFFLINE   budd1e_lee

budd1e_lee

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 11:49 PM

HR20-700. Slower than slow. Anything recorded is unwatchable, due to audio dropouts and video stutter. None of which is present during live watching.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...