Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Slow HR20-700...all of a sudden?

• Please log in to reply
148 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   underlord2

underlord2

AllStar

• Registered
  • 69 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 11:58 PM

Having the same problems with my HR20-700. Wish I could get a HR24 unit for a low price/cheap. Been living with this since for quite a while.

Had the unit since it was first introduced.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,801 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 20 August 2010 - 07:42 AM

I meant to post this last night.......but did anyone elses HR2x reset yesterday? I got home from work last night and the blue ring lights were on, indicating a restart. I thought it was new software, but it wasn't.

#43 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,717 posts
  • LocationLancaster, PA area

Posted 20 August 2010 - 01:51 PM

My HR20-700 is also slower than slow. Even worse the past month or so. Changing a channel or pulling up the List or Guide is taking 4 or 5 secs. Something is wrong.

Edited by n3ntj, 30 August 2010 - 08:51 AM.

HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200 (2), 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV), Cinema Kit (Wifi connection)
Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#44 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,419 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 07:44 PM

I have 2 HR20-700s. Both have a LOT of space left. Both have become extremely slow in the last couple of weeks. It's the worst I've ever seen. Restarting doesn't help.

#45 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,717 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 11:46 AM

I wonder if D* knows of this issue with the HR20-700s in the past month or so. Hardware or software or both issue? Mine is on the latest national release.

DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200 (2), 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV), Cinema Kit (Wifi connection)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#46 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,661 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 12:02 PM

I have 2 HR20-700s. Both have a LOT of space left. Both have become extremely slow in the last couple of weeks. It's the worst I've ever seen. Restarting doesn't help.

I wonder if D* knows of this issue with the HR20-700s in the past month or so. Hardware or software or both issue? Mine is on the latest national release.

If it's an "original" HR20, those boxes are going on 3+ years old now. Could be a sign the drive is failing. If you have the protection plan and say you must have an OTA capable unit, chances are you'll get a nice refurb HR20 with a newer drive, maybe even a 500GB.

I've still got one of my original early '07 HR20's in service and I'm not seeing the slowdown you guys are. I download the latest CE each week, however, so the box is rebooted at least once a week, and often gets a weekly GUIDE data refresh as well. I'm still using the original 320GB drive, tho, so I'm sure it's only a matter of time before that drive fails.
/steve

#47 OFFLINE   rebkell

rebkell

Godfather

• Registered
  • 467 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 04:38 PM

Just noticed that some of my favorites disappeared from the list again. Once again it's the newer HD premiums that disappeared, the new HBO's, TMC, some of the Showtimes, but not all the newest ones. :confused:

I have no idea what is causing it or when it is actually happening, I don't normally check the premiums during the week, but on the weekends I usually browse the listings to see if there's anything I"m interested in.

#48 OFFLINE   NaperDan

NaperDan

Legend

• Registered
  • 162 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 07:53 PM

I meant to post this last night.......but did anyone elses HR2x reset yesterday? I got home from work last night and the blue ring lights were on, indicating a restart. I thought it was new software, but it wasn't.

This usually means your HDD stopped recording...:(
D*tv'er since the beginning...

#49 OFFLINE   DavidsonDuke

DavidsonDuke

Mentor

• Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 06:38 AM

We're having similar issues, with two additional problems: playback sometimes freezes totally and sometimes the audio works but the video freezes. We can un-freeze it by changing channel or by a system re-set.

It is an HR20-100 and worked fine since we got it.

#50 OFFLINE   JMII

JMII

Legend

• Registered
  • 171 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 01 September 2010 - 03:27 PM

Add me to the list!

My HR20-700 is a complete dog these days. Call up the guide and attempting to scroll thru the channels is downright painful. Box got the latest update and rebooted, still horribly slow :(

#51 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,717 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 02:00 PM

Something weird happened last night with my HR20-700. I turned the unit off, but the blue ring LEDs stayed on. The other blue LEDs went off. It was like that this morning still. Any idea why just the blue ring LEDs would stay on when the unit is off and the other blue LEDs go off??

I had to do a RBR to reset the thing.

My HR20-700 is still slower than slow. Has anyone called D* to report this?

#52 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,902 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 03 September 2010 - 08:10 AM

Something weird happened last night with my HR20-700. I turned the unit off, but the blue ring LEDs stayed on. The other blue LEDs went off. It was like that this morning still. Any idea why just the blue ring LEDs would stay on when the unit is off and the other blue LEDs go off??

I had to do a RBR to reset the thing.

My HR20-700 is still slower than slow. Has anyone called D* to report this?

Periodically, my HR20-700 will get very sluggish. Then, for no apparent reason, it speeds back up. I'm in the fast mode right now.:) It has been clear to me for some time that there are certain background tasks that will take over the processor (bog it down), and until they are completed, the unit will be slow, slow and slower.

Given all of the activities required by these boxes, the older ones (anything but an HR24) are vulnerable to periodic slow downs. Because they come and go, various reports come in saying, "Mine works fine", "HR20-700 is SLOW", "these POS boxes", "the HR20-700 is the snappiest of the non-HR24 boxes", etc.

I think we just have to accept that the non-24 boxes are going to periodically speed up and slow down, most of which is hardware related (asking it to do too much, stealing too many processor cycles), and some of which can be corrected a bit by firmware updates.

I have seen this cycle of speed repeat itself over and over again with both an HR20-700 and HR21-200. I have not seen it with the HR20-100 (but I bet it does it too), because that unit is under the purview of the wife, who will mostly only say something if a recording is missed.:)

I"m not sure calling D* will accomplish anything at this point. (other than repeatedly clue them in to a lot of people have slow downs). It is a complete mystery to everyone as to what they might do with this information, if it ever gets to anyone that counts.

I think there is a better chance (but still not a good one), that posting in these threads will get the info to someone better equipped to respond than the CSR that answers the phone. I still don't think much will come of it. I don't think the problem can be solved with existing hardware. I think the people that count at D* know this and there isn't anything they can realistically do about it. They are not going to bail on all the older hardware...it would cost a fortune. They are not going to cut back on features. They may code a bit more efficiently here and there, but basically, they are stuck, by all appearances.

In a way, I wish people would stop posting about these slow downs, as it is so futile. I hate to see people get frustrated and given one false hope after another, one wild theory after another, and end up right where they started.

(now, I don't really mean stop posting...I was just making the point that when this topic comes up (and it does, over and over and over and over and over again), the discussions chase their tales and accomplish nothing, leaving everyone half-bummed-out.)

Sooner or later, people may come to the understanding that this is a hardware limitation and is likely to come and go unless D* finds a magic bullet , which I'll admit, I have absolutely no hope for. It just isn't going to happen.

My HR20-700 is faster more often than it is very sluggish. I can live with it. (I have to, now don't I, at least if I don't want to buy an HR24?)...and of course, while the 24s are fast, they have all the predictable start up bugs that any new model is likely to go through.

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

#53 OFFLINE   Folin

Folin

AllStar

• Registered
  • 82 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 10:11 AM

Agreed, hasan. Also see sporadic speed (decent to slow crawl) out of my HR20/21's with no real apprarent reason for the temporary increase in speed.

Primarily this seen on my main DVR which uses an external HD...the other is stock and is pretty consistent on speed (as well as lightly used vs. the main room).

I always think the slowing may be due to too much programming/maxing out HD space so I start deleting the wife and kids stuff....and I only keep mine at around 50% remaining. But doing that really doesn't show any immediate quickening.

#54 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,419 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 06:49 PM

We need a Task Manager for the HR's :)

#55 OFFLINE   yobear

yobear

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 03:32 PM

Well, my two slow HR20-100s finally forced me to call directv and complain... Turns out I didn't need to complain, just explain, there sending me out two new replacement units at zero cost. This was going to be the first time I complained in more than 10 years... pretty good run, and great customer service from DTV.

#56 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,717 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 02:10 PM

Well, my two slow HR20-100s finally forced me to call directv and complain... Turns out I didn't need to complain, just explain, there sending me out two new replacement units at zero cost. This was going to be the first time I complained in more than 10 years... pretty good run, and great customer service from DTV.

Any idea what units (HR22, HR24, etc.) they are replacing the HR20-100s with? I am about ready to complain as well as my HR20-700 has been very slow for a while. I reboot to no avail.

#57 OFFLINE   cohbraz

cohbraz

Legend

• Registered
  • 104 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 04:40 PM

I called and complained last week. The lady I spoke with was determined to send out a tech to try to align my dish, even though I calmly explained that I had good signal strength on all satellites and was not experiencing signal drop out. I finally just thanked her and ended the call.
(1) HR20
(1) R15
(2) H23
(1) Samsung LNT4681
WB68 Multiswitch
Slimline Dish

#58 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,717 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 08:13 AM

I called D* to tell them that my HR20-700 has been having very slow channel changes and menu pullups the past 2 months (3~5 secs). I also told them that the audio drops out when I rewind live TV or watch some prerecorded shows. The CSR told me it would be $149 to replace my 4 year old HR20-700. The CSR told me D* will not swap out old faulty leased units for new units for free (or even the cost of shipping). I ended the call.

#59 OFFLINE   Jimmmmbo!

Jimmmmbo!

Mentor

• Registered
  • 45 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 10:01 AM

I wonder if having a network connected/disconnected to the DVR makes any difference?
Jim

HR20-700, HR10-250 Zippered Never giving it up!
HDVR2
Sanyo PLV-Z60 16:9 Projector, DaLite CinemaVision 106" Grey Screen

#60 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,661 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 10:09 AM

I wonder if having a network connected/disconnected to the DVR makes any difference?

Possible, I guess, but it really shouldn't matter if the box is not engaged in any MRV activity at the time. Otherwise, the network should just be sitting there quietly.

As hasan and others have mentioned, the first couple of days after a new s/w download slow down the box, because it takes 24-36 hours to download and unpack all the new GUIDE data, show/actor "thumbnails" and to re-index all the "Smart Search" data.
/steve

Protected By... spam firewall...And...