Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

SWIM PI functionality

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   chefwong

chefwong

Legend

• Registered
  • 250 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 07:30 PM

I assuming the PI is to *power* the ~swim mulitswitch~.
Just thinking outloud....as I've got a UPS for the receiver, just moreso to prevent downloading for data during summer - minute electrical blips but I just realized then in the event of a power outage...if not power to SWIM PI, then video as a whole is pretty useless....if power outage was to occur.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 07:32 PM

The power inserter powers the SWM switch AND the LNB. Legacy switches are usually passive (no power of their own), with the LNB and any switches powered by the receiver.

So, yes, without your PI being on a UPS, you won't have video from your sat system in the event of a power outage.

#3 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,168 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 07:44 PM

So put the PI next to the receiver and power it off the same UPS...

#4 OFFLINE   azarby

azarby

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,052 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 07:46 PM

I assuming the PI is to *power* the ~swim mulitswitch~.
Just thinking outloud....as I've got a UPS for the receiver, just moreso to prevent downloading for data during summer - minute electrical blips but I just realized then in the event of a power outage...if not power to SWIM PI, then video as a whole is pretty useless....if power outage was to occur.

You need to put the receiver, SWiM PI and DECA PI on an UPS. If yo do, you have all the bases covered.

#5 OFFLINE   chefwong

chefwong

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 250 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 08:00 PM

Not exactly just that simple when you have the branch connections on a different floor/location - that is remotely not near a receiver.

But yes, to cover all my bases, then all the *failure or working points*, however you want to look at it, would need to be on a UPS's.

It's just *tv* for me...just some food for thought...as I was dropping a retired 1U receiver from work into my media cabinet and was thinking about the PI for the switch...

#6 OFFLINE   dsw2112

dsw2112

Always Searching

• Registered
  • 1,936 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 08:25 PM

Not exactly just that simple when you have the branch connections on a different floor/location - that is remotely not near a receiver.

When referring to just the SWM PI it really doesn't matter how many floors or branch connections there are. You can place that PI next to the receiver (and on the receiver's UPS) as long as it feeds the power passing port(s) on your splitter(s). I can see how it would be difficult for DECA dongles on seperate receivers, but the SWM PI should be quite simple...
SL3-Slimline to SWM16 - DECA
HR34-700, HR24-500, & HR22-100

#7 OFFLINE   azarby

azarby

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,052 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 09:09 PM

But yes, to cover all my bases, then all the *failure or working points*, however you want to look at it, would need to be on a UPS's.

It's just *tv* for me...just some food for thought...as I was dropping a retired 1U receiver from work into my media cabinet and was thinking about the PI for the switch...

We'll I probably go a litle overboard in that I have four UPS in my house. One 1500 Belkin UPS for the main computer and all of my network gear. A second 1500 Belkin UPS for two HD DVRS, audio reciever and Plasma. I have a third APC 750 UPS for the two receivers in the bedroom with the 32"LCD. and a 350 APC UPS in the guest room for the 23" LCD, one receiver, SWiM PI and DECA PI. Hard drives are too touchy and I would prefer to not lose one for a power glitch. I can get 15-20 minutes full coverage wich takes care of 99% of my outages.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...