Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Connecting to Internet

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   larryah

larryah

AllStar

• Registered
  • 70 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 09:11 AM

I just had my system installed last week, and am interested in connecting my HR-24s to the internet. I already have a wireless network set up, but have some questions.

1. Is wireless sufficient to stream movies from DTV? I have Netflicks and stream movies from them through my PS3 with no problem. But I read somewhere that wireless doesnt work well with VOD.

2. If I do this, should I use DTVs wireless adapter ($100) or buy my own?

3. Should I attempt the install myself, or have DTV do it? I am pretty tech oriented and set up my home network and Home Theatre myself.

4. Do I have to be connected to a phone line?

5. Is it worth the cost to do it ?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks in advance

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,828 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 09:53 AM

When you had your install done did they also set you up for Whole Home DVR? If so they should have added an extra DECA module that connects to the Internet so you can use DOD.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#3 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,869 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 10:04 AM

Wireless is sufficient for On Demand but in most cases isn't really good for multiroom viewing.

Any wireless adapter will work but the Cisco/Linksys one from DIRECTV is self-configuring with the HR24.

If you have networking skills you could do it yourself. However if you bring in DIRECTV they will use the coax line for networking, hook one box to your router that converts from ethernet to coax (a "DECA") you'll be able to do multi-room viewing effectively.

No phone line is required if you're networked. Even if you're not it's really only used for PPV purchases.

It is definitely worth the cost.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#4 OFFLINE   larryah

larryah

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 70 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 11:35 AM

No I didnt do the Whole Home thing, I got two HR24s though.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...