Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Looks like the FCC has slapped Echostars hand

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 ONLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,061 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 31 July 2010 - 08:31 AM

Check http://www.fcc.gov/D...A-10-1401A1.pdf, the FCC thinks that Echostar has been getting satellite licenses for speculative purposes.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,317 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 31 July 2010 - 08:53 AM

God (and the FCC) forbid that Charlie should plan ahead! :eek:

Life is speculative.

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#3 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,975 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 31 July 2010 - 09:56 AM

That's good move, the mentioned company did too much to hostile Clark belt last years.

#4 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 31 July 2010 - 10:31 AM

I really don't understand how Charlie could find himself running afoul of the FCC and becoming subject to enforcement actions. It is the one federal agency he should be making nice with.

Oh, that's right...Dish sues FCC over PBS-HD requirement.:rolleyes:

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#5 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,770 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 31 July 2010 - 10:51 AM

Man his lawyers are getting some money with all these lawsuits he has going on.

#6 OFFLINE   GrumpyBear

GrumpyBear

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,233 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 11:28 AM

Man his lawyers are getting some money with all these lawsuits he has going on.

Corp Lawyers, they get paid rather the do something or not. So why not make them work.
Granted, making nice and doing right by the FCC, makes a LOT MORE F'in SENSE!!!!!!

#7 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 11:43 AM

What the heck are they going to do with a C band satellite anyway, Add a Rain Fade Proof arc to the Eastern and Western KU arcs? Free installation and up to 4 receivers...includes a 6 foot dish on your roof for a small additional fee.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#8 OFFLINE   kenglish

kenglish

Icon

• Registered
  • 972 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah, USA

Posted 31 July 2010 - 11:53 AM

Probably just hoping to block out the competition, just like many believe the "Spectrum Auction" high-bidders are trying to do.
God Forbid somebody would offer another service that might compete, especially if they broadcast something for free!

#9 OFFLINE   Dave

Dave

Icon

• Registered
  • 864 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 12:22 PM

The point being from the FCC's side. If you want all these licenses then build the sat's and quit wasting our time on maybes, could be, or well one day.
Charlie cut his teeth on C band delivery and set ups. But as the FCC says. You have 5 licenses for Sat's that don't exist right now. Speculating is one thing, anticipating growth is one thing. But building the product is something else entirely.

#10 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,098 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 12:33 PM

What the heck are they going to do with a C band satellite anyway,

Echostar is bigger than the DISH Network DBS service. Note the business use of 121 and ViP distribution service. They are a major player beyond DBS.

It is a shame that the milestones were missed and (whatever they are calling themselves) can't get a waiver from the law. If they had not surrendered the licenses they probably would not have to fall within the limits. But too many licenses not built shows that they have overextended themselves.

I don't believe they were trying to block others out ... they just have business plans bigger than DBS. (Although I believe some of the surrendered licenses were "reverse DBS" that could have been used to extend the DISH Network service.)

#11 OFFLINE   brant

brant

Icon

• Registered
  • 750 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 05:08 PM

What the heck are they going to do with a C band satellite anyway, . . . .

My local cable company gets their content via c-band from echostar.

#12 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,770 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 01 August 2010 - 05:20 PM

Almost all cable and satellite companys receive there signals via C-Band. Some signals do come via fiber.

#13 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 05:43 PM

While Im not going to contest your statement, since I have no facts on your cable system, from scanning the satellites on C band, most of the "cable channels" are sent to cableco's via SES's AMC sats and Hughes (now Intelsat) Galaxy Sats. They do co-own a satellite with Intelsat, but dont use the C band portion, so Im curious what satellite your cableco is getting the programming from, or are they just retransmitting the DISH channels from DISH?

I actually wish some company WOULD offer up a medium to high power C band DBS service, using mpeg4, to compete with DirecTv and Dish. It would be nice to be able to just have a fair priced service with no rain fade, and satellite not overloaded with regional sports and PPV.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#14 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,098 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 06:45 PM

Here is a look at Echostar's distribution system ...
http://www.echostarv...TVSolution.aspx (This particular distribution is via AMC16 Ku at 85.)

Since the FCC is considering DISH and Echostar the same company despite the ownership lines that DISH and Echostar draws between the companies. (The FCC cares more about who controls the companies than boardroom deals ... and the ownership control of the companies are roughly the same.)

I don't fault DISH/Echostar from wanting to do more on C-Band. I disagree with the "hoarding" claim ... I believe they legitimately want more satellite room for commercial distribution. The issue here is the licenses that they have failed to build and have missed deadlines on. They have met a regulatory limit for number of unbuilt licenses - and because some of those were lost the FCC is no longer giving them a waiver.

DISH/Echostar just need to catch up and make sure they don't forfeit any more licenses.

#15 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 06:54 PM

Ok, looks like an interesting solution for small cableco's and motels, but its still KU band. I was curious what C band satellite they were using? Maybe, they wanted to use this C band application to mirror this VIP Ku so the Florida hotels wouldnt lose signal every afternoon when it rains?

Even if the FCC is wrong, and could have fudged by offering a waiver... Im sure the fact Echostar is sueing them might have crossed their mind in the decision ;)

#16 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,098 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 06:59 PM

Even if the FCC is wrong, and could have fudged by offering a waiver... Im sure the fact Echostar is sueing them might have crossed their mind in the decision ;)

It is hard to disprove a conspiracy theory. There is always someone who wants to keep on believing. :rolleyes:

Read the decision. The waivers were common practice. DISH/Echostar simply got to a point where they had too many incompletes.

#17 OFFLINE   brant

brant

Icon

• Registered
  • 750 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 07:16 PM

While Im not going to contest your statement, since I have no facts on your cable system, from scanning the satellites on C band, most of the "cable channels" are sent to cableco's via SES's AMC sats and Hughes (now Intelsat) Galaxy Sats. They do co-own a satellite with Intelsat, but dont use the C band portion, so Im curious what satellite your cableco is getting the programming from, or are they just retransmitting the DISH channels from DISH? . . . .

I don't know what satellite it comes from either. They are retransmitting dish channels. We used the service about 5 years ago; whenever there was a problem with the receiver you would see the echostar error messages on the screen.

They have what looks like a 12' dish and about 70 receivers in a small building next to, and modulate the outputs over the cable system.

This is a very small municipal cable system w/ about 1200 subscribers.

#18 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 02 August 2010 - 12:20 AM

It is hard to disprove a conspiracy theory. There is always someone who wants to keep on believing. :rolleyes:

Read the decision. The waivers were common practice. DISH/Echostar simply got to a point where they had too many incompletes.

While that is factually true, the FCC staff is rather busy. Yet coincidentally, they just now found a need to resolve this discrepancy.

It really doesn't take a conspiracy. If you are pushing your luck with a bureaucracy's rules, it isn't smart to sue that same bureaucracy for the sole purpose of preventing enforcement of another rule, particularly one that targets you particularly and that Congress just put in place with considerable fanfare.

Of course, it probably is just coincidence.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

Protected By... spam firewall...And...