Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Upgrading older, self installed equipment - questions

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   moneypit

moneypit

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 09:09 AM

We have been a DirecTv customer for more than 14 years and are looking to upgrade two SD DVR's (1 Tivo, 1 DirecTV) and an older SD Hughes receiver. We currently have a single HD DVR.

I have purchased and installed moslty all my own equipment including three receivers, the HD dish and multiswitch. Four TV locations have 2 RG6 cables, The fifth one (kitchen) has a single RG6. The HD dish has 4 RG6 cables running indoors to a passive multiswitch. All TV RG6 runs go to the multiswitch. A sixth TV location is wired with 2 RG6 cables but not currently used.

All of our TV's are now HD and we do a lot of DVR recording. We would also like to use the five TV's with only four recievers.

We also subscribe to a "legacy" channel package that I am told is no longer offered to new subscribers. The service consists of 4 receivers (no lease fees), locals, HD, Showtime and HBO on the HD DVR and mirrored on the other three receivers for $4.99/ea.

I'm looking for suggesions on what I should be looking to do moving forward with HD and how I should go about it concerning equipment upgrade and a channel package. I am not even sure how to begin a call with DirecTv and what I should expect to pay out of pocket.

Any suggestions are appreciated

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 31 July 2010 - 04:03 PM

First off.... :welcome_s to dbstalk

Alot of folks have viewed your post but its very difficult to answer because you have to decide whats right for you.

Typically, the HD boxes are $99 and the DVR's are $199 when leased from Directv. Given that you are a long time customer, they are probably going to work with you. But it will depend on what legacy equipment you want to keep and what you want to upgrade.

BTW, the legacy package shouldn't matter. They usually let you keep that and if it has HD service, you are all set.

And if you have the lifetime DVR service with Premier, be sure you keep that going forward.

Finally if you want the DVR's and new generation boxes connected for Whole Home DVR service, be sure to get that in the deal too. Including an Internet Connection Kit so you can d/l movies.

I know this isn't a definitive answer but only you know what you want to do. Call them, start the discussions and report back with what they offer and I bet folks will jump in and tell you if its good or not.

#3 OFFLINE   moneypit

moneypit

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 07:57 AM

Thanks for the welcome and input.

I basically want the same functionality I have now but, in HD and I don't want to have to spend more per month. I've been reading and I am thinking the whole home DVR system should work for me. I'd like to replace the three SD receivers with HD.

I'm just not sure if it makes more sense to go with a single DVR and Whole House DVR or three DVR's and a plain HD reciever.

I'll have to give them a call and see what is offered.

#4 OFFLINE   longrider

longrider

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,120 posts
  • LocationElizabeth, CO

Posted 01 August 2010 - 08:11 AM

You do not have to worry about leasing increasing the monthly cost, the lease fee replaces the mirror fee. The whole home DVR service does cost $3/month however I consider that $3 well spent. One thing to think about is how many tuners do you need to cover your recording requirements? You can have multiple DVRs with WHDS and everything is watchable on all units
My Setup

#5 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 01 August 2010 - 08:48 AM

I basically want the same functionality I have now but, in HD and I don't want to have to spend more per month. I've been reading and I am thinking the whole home DVR system should work for me. I'd like to replace the three SD receivers with HD.

I'm just not sure if it makes more sense to go with a single DVR and Whole House DVR or three DVR's and a plain HD reciever.

One DVR and 3 receives will probably have a low upfront equipment cost, but for $3/month you get to network them all. Limitation is only 2 shows can recorded at a time.

Three DVR's and 1 receiver is likely to be a much higher upfront cost and you get the ability to record 6 shows at a time. You may end up spending the extra $3/month after all when you find you want something from DVR in Room A to be viewable in Room B.

These are the decisions that you can weigh.

#6 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,649 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 08:51 AM

2 and 2 would work great. Plenty of flexibility for recording and watching in different locations.

#7 OFFLINE   moneypit

moneypit

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 01:17 PM

Thanks to all for your input. I didn't know that the lease fee replaced the mirror fee.

I'm leaning towards 2 + 2 with the whole home DVR and hopefully will be able to call tonight.

Any idea on what to expect for changing out the receivers? Will they let me simply swap my old ones for new ones?

Or, should I expect to have to "buy" three new receivers at the going rate?

-

Edited by moneypit, 03 August 2010 - 01:22 PM.
typo

#8 OFFLINE   BAHitman

BAHitman

Godfather

• Registered
  • 431 posts
  • LocationAustin Texas

Posted 03 August 2010 - 01:26 PM

Best thing to do is call and see what they offer. I was offered 1 HDDVR and 1 HD Reciever for FREE with Free installation. Then you can include the whole home DVR installation at the same time, they will replace the dish and/or multiswitch to a SWM system that is compatible with the whole home DVR service. best is to call and ask what they will give you... depending on your package, you may be eligible for Free HD for 2 years with a certain package and auto pay.

HR34, HR20x3, HR22, HR23, H24, H21

-BAHitman

Protected By... spam firewall...And...