Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Splitters

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   williammck

williammck

Mentor

• Registered
  • 52 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 31 July 2010 - 11:03 AM

We have a WB68 multiswitch. We want to install splitters off of some satellite inputs (example: 2 boxes off of 1 input, 2 tuners off of 1 input). What splitters do I need to buy instead of standard RF splitters?
Thanks!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,700 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 11:07 AM

We have a WB68 multiswitch. We want to install splitters off of some satellite inputs (example: 2 boxes off of 1 input, 2 tuners off of 1 input). What splitters do I need to buy instead of standard RF splitters?
Thanks!

If you need more than eight outputs, then you need another WB68 "and then" you could use four splitters that pass DC power on both legs to the dish. Any splitter that passes DC on both legs and goes up to at least 2150 MHz.
A.K.A VOS

#3 OFFLINE   williammck

williammck

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 52 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 31 July 2010 - 11:11 AM

Is there no way to put a splitter at an input going to a sat box? We don't have an outlet in one room, so we want to run a wire off a splitter by a box with an outlet.

#4 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,700 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 11:21 AM

Is there no way to put a splitter at an input going to a sat box? We don't have an outlet in one room, so we want to run a wire off a splitter by a box with an outlet.

Yes & no. or maybe no & yes.
No, you can't split a switched cable off the WB68. It simply doesn't work and both receivers in most cases wouldn't get any useful signal.

Yes, you can split a coax feed to more than one receiver "with" a SWiM system, which the WB68 is not!

You can find out more about SWiM here: http://hr20.dbstalk.... First Look.pdf
A.K.A VOS

#5 OFFLINE   williammck

williammck

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 52 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 01 August 2010 - 08:31 AM

Here's my setup in the 2 rooms:

Splitter:
From WB68 to 2 different boxes

1st room (HDVR2):
Splitter Out into Sat 1
Direct cable into Sat 2

2nd room (D11):
Splitter Out into Sat In

We are going to move a HR10-250 into the 1st room in a few days, and the HDVR2 into the 2nd room.

Whenever I receive Sat info or run a system test on either box, the other one goes out.
I get perfect signal, though, even when both are on. Any other symptoms my TV will have?

Thanks!

#6 OFFLINE   doctrsnoop

doctrsnoop

Godfather

• Registered
  • 466 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 10:53 AM

It just doesn't work the way you think it does. This isn't signal that splits and flows like regular cable or OTA. It is a two-way communications more akin to say, like an ethernet network that just happens to use coax ,the same physical cable as regular cable.

So you need to run two lines from the WB68 to do two tuners, directly and without splitting, unless you want to investigate the whole world of SWiM which is a whole other discussion (not too bad an idea for you)

Edit: SWiM = Single Wire Multiplexing which is the technology that allows for what you want, more than one tuner over a single wire (up to 16 with an SWiM16). Then you can use the splitters (with the right frequency splitting)

Edited by doctrsnoop, 01 August 2010 - 11:07 AM.

5 - HR22-100 4 via regular ethernet, 1 via DECA, 2 HR21-700 networked via regular ethernet, HR21-100 networked via DECA, H25-500
R15-500 Inactive, H20-600 (ECO 2.0) inactive,D11 (Humax LD2060) inactive
Slimline 5 w/ SWM8 parallel w/ SWM16 w/DECA

#7 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,700 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 11:12 AM

Here's my setup in the 2 rooms:

Splitter:
From WB68 to 2 different boxes

1st room (HDVR2):
Splitter Out into Sat 1
Direct cable into Sat 2

2nd room (D11):
Splitter Out into Sat In

We are going to move a HR10-250 into the 1st room in a few days, and the HDVR2 into the 2nd room.

Whenever I receive Sat info or run a system test on either box, the other one goes out.
I get perfect signal, though, even when both are on. Any other symptoms my TV will have?

Thanks!

If you do have a WB68, then what you currently have setup only will work with certain channels being tuned to and if you change one receiver to another channel then either this one, the other one off the splitter, or both of them will not work.
Guide data can't be used to verify this as it's always on the coax.
So here's what's going on and why you'll have problems:
The four coax feeding the WB68 have four different combinations of voltage and tone, with tunes the LNB at the dish to the right channel/transponder.
13 volt no tone is for the odd TPs off 101 & 99 SATs.
18 volt no tone for their even TPs.
13 volt tone is for the odd TPs off 119 & 103 SATs.
18 volt tone is for the even TPs off 110, 119, & 103 SATs.
Each receiver sends out one of these to tune to the correct channel.
When you use a splitter to feed two tuners, the splitter has eith one port passing power or both ports passing power.
With a single power passing splitter, the receiver connected to the power passing port is what controls which SAT/TP is sending the signals. This receiver will be getting the right signal.
Now the receiver that isn't on the power passing port will either be tuned to the same SAT/TP as the other and work, or if this receiver needs the other TP for the channel it's tuned to then it will not get the signal, since it's blocked from sending the correct tune signal to the WB68. So there is maybe a 50% chance that this works, but then there is a 50% chance that it doesn't. It depends on what channel combination the two receivers need.
With a splitter that has both ports passing power, then there is only a 25% chance of the two receivers being on the same combination of tune voltage & tone.
The table would break down like this:
tuner a sends 13 volts & tuner b sends 13 volts = both work
tuner a sends 13 volts & tuner b sends 18 volts = tuner b works and a doesn't.
tuner a sends 18 volts & tuner b sends 13 volts = tuner a works & tuner b doesn't
tuner a sends 18 volts & tuner b sends 18 volts = both tuners working
Adding in the with & without tone means many more combinations that don't work, but I'm not going to post every one of them.
A.K.A VOS

#8 OFFLINE   PokerJoker

PokerJoker

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 474 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 01 August 2010 - 11:14 AM

Sorry, but lines from a WB68-type multiswitch simply cannot be split. Each coax from the WB68 must go directly to a single receiver input. DVRs with two inputs require two separate cables to the WB68. The setup you have, with a splitter to feed both inputs of a DVR from one WB68 cable, does not really work even if it appears to do so upon casual observation.

I assume the underlying problem is that you have only one cable running to each receiver location. Or, even worse, you have an old house with splitters in the walls, etc. DirecTV's solution to these cabling issues is called SWM, or Single Wire Multiplexing. It involves replacing the WB68 and/or dish with other newer equipment. SWM works over one wire and allows splitting. However, none of your old receivers will work with SWM. You would have to get all new receivers, which would be leased with a two year commitment; and they would not use the Tivo interface.

Get all new equipment; or run more cables. That would seem to be your choice. Not a good one, I know, but that's the way it is. Sorry.

Keith

#9 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,700 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 11:15 AM

Edit: SWiM = Single Wire Multiplexing which is the technology that allows for what you want, more than one tuner over a single wire (up to 16 with an SWiM16). Then you can use the splitters (with the right frequency splitting)

Slight change to this: The SWiM-16 has two outputs and each output can "only handle" eight tuners on a single wire/coax.
A.K.A VOS

spam firewall