Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Kindle or Nook?

• Please log in to reply
251 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Indiana627

Indiana627

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,176 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 03:44 PM

My wife's birthday is in 2 weeks and she wants an e-reader. She asked for the Nook since all we need is the wi-fi as 3G would be a waste (terrible cell phone coverage at our house). The wi-fi only Nook is $149. Now is see the wi-fi only Kindle is coming out for $139 - but not until 2 weeks after her birthday. So my question is: should I get the Nook she asked for, or wait and get her the new Kindle when it comes out?

Her sister has a Kindle, and I'm wondering if I got the Kindle for my wife, would they be able to share books, with only one of them having to buy and download the book - just like they used to with paperbacks? I assume if I buy her the Nook, they definitely won't be able to share books between Nook and Kindle. Does anybody know if Nooks can share books between them?

Anything else I should know about either device?

Thanks.
Mark

"We named the dog Indiana."
Family Room: HR24-100; WD10EVCS 1TB drive in Antec MX-1; connected via HDMI to Denon AVR-2313CI; 5.1 setup with Boston Acoustics A250 fronts, A225C center, A25 surrounds, ASW650 sub; video to Sony 52W4100 via HDMI; hardwired to Linksys WRT54G
Bedroom: HR21-200 with AM21 & Philips PHDTV1 Antenna, HDMI to Dynex 32" TV; hardwired to Linksys WRT54G
(1) Slimline 3 LBN dish (2 lines direct to each HR2x. No multiswitch.)
D* since January 2003

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   tenholde

tenholde

Mentor

• Registered
  • 37 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 04:32 PM

I have a kindle, so I'm probably prejudiced, but the reviews I've read of the newest kindle puts it solidly ahead of the nook (speed was one item).

As far as sharing books among kindles, you would need to register both kindles to the same Amazon account (you can register up to 6 to one account), which would mean using the same credit card for all book purchases.

tenholde

#3 OFFLINE   FHSPSU67

FHSPSU67

CE'er & Retired Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,420 posts
  • LocationWindber, PA

Posted 31 July 2010 - 04:47 PM

Kindle owner here, too. When I was deciding on the Kindle 2, books were slightly less from Amazon. Don't know if that's still true.
Fred
DIRECTV since November 1995
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler" A.Einstein

#4 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,870 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 04:53 PM

I would wait for the kindle. I like being able to use kindle books on the iPhone and pc as well as pm the device.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#5 OFFLINE   mhendrixsr

mhendrixsr

AllStar

• Registered
  • 79 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 05:09 PM

Kindle would be my preference too. Started with the original Kindle and went on to the second generation model... acquiring quite a library along the way. Its a nice reading device as long as you don't mind the need for a light source. I only use it at home (only b/c I hate carrying stuff) but use the Kindle app on my iPhone as well as the iPad. I like the fact that the apps keep all 3 devices synced so I can pick up where I left off on any of the 3 devices. Lately I admit that I've started reading more at home on the iPad but find myself going back to the kindle when buying/searching/reading samples of new books just b/c it's an easier process. Initially I felt that backlit devices were harder on my eyes but I've found the increased screen size of the iPad a more pleasant reading experience (and I can dim the backlight slightly). For the $$ involved, I think the Kindle is the better idea.
DTV HR24-500
DTV HR21Pro w/AM21
DTV HR20-700 DVR (all networked via DECA)
Slimline 5 Dish w/SWM-8
Pioneer PDP-6010FD 60" Plasma Display
Toshiba REGZA LCD Displays (37" & 32")
Oppo BDP-83 BD/Universal Player/Sony PS3 BD Player
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD-DVD Player/AppleTV
Pioneer DVL-909 LD Player w/tons of LD's
Pioneer Elite SC-27 A/V Rcvr

#6 OFFLINE   Marlin Guy

Marlin Guy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,121 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 05:29 PM

I bought the nook for my wife last Christmas and she loves it.

She can check books out from the library online for free, and it reads open source materials and formats. So books can be downloaded from other soureces as well.
She can also share some books with others and with the nook app on her Droid phone.
There is no physical keyboard to take up space, so it's clean and neat in appearance.
It also now features a basic web browser.

I don't know much about the Kindle, but I didn't like the proprietary formats on it.
Team Mexico Pork Cloud

#7 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,870 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 05:36 PM

You can read any book in PDF format on the kindle and as far as open sour e you can read anything from Gutenberg.org on it as well. There are some formats it can't read, though.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#8 OFFLINE   Indiana627

Indiana627

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,176 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 05:36 PM

As far as sharing books among kindles, you would need to register both kindles to the same Amazon account (you can register up to 6 to one account), which would mean using the same credit card for all book purchases.

If the Kindles are registered to one account, is there then any limitation to sharing? Like number of books or how long they can be shared?

I would wait for the kindle. I like being able to use kindle books on the iPhone and pc as well as pm the device.

B&N does have software for smartphones and PC/Mac so she could read the book from multiple sources (though I doubt she would - her Blackberry screen is way to small for that much reading).

What do you mean by 'pm the device?'
Mark

Family Room: HR24-100; WD10EVCS 1TB drive in Antec MX-1; connected via HDMI to Denon AVR-2313CI; 5.1 setup with Boston Acoustics A250 fronts, A225C center, A25 surrounds, ASW650 sub; video to Sony 52W4100 via HDMI; hardwired to Linksys WRT54G
Bedroom: HR21-200 with AM21 & Philips PHDTV1 Antenna, HDMI to Dynex 32" TV; hardwired to Linksys WRT54G
D* since January 2003

#9 OFFLINE   Marlin Guy

Marlin Guy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,121 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 05:43 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EPUB
Team Mexico Pork Cloud

#10 OFFLINE   koji68

koji68

Icon

• Registered
  • 622 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 02:18 PM

Our family decided on the Nook. We are all readers and often traded books. The lend feature in the Nook allows us to keep doing this.
Put me down! Put me down! Come on put me down!

Kiva.org

#11 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,892 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 02:24 PM

I have a kindle, so I'm probably prejudiced, but the reviews I've read of the newest kindle puts it solidly ahead of the nook (speed was one item).

tenholde

Yeah, the Kindle 3's are the fastest Kindles yet.

I'm also have a Kindle DX so I too am biased but I would recomment the K3 over the Nook. :D

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#12 OFFLINE   shedberg

shedberg

Icon

• Registered
  • 522 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 02:27 PM

If the Kindles are registered to one account, is there then any limitation to sharing? Like number of books or how long they can be shared?

B&N does have software for smartphones and PC/Mac so she could read the book from multiple sources (though I doubt she would - her Blackberry screen is way to small for that much reading).

What do you mean by 'pm the device?'

I have 3 kindles in my household and we share all the books. I love my kindle as I travel a bit for work and not carrying paperbacks is great!

#13 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,442 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 01 August 2010 - 02:30 PM

Its a nice reading device as long as you don't mind the need for a light source.

What does this mean?

You can't read the kindle in the dark? It's not backlit?

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#14 OFFLINE   uncouth

uncouth

AllStar

• Registered
  • 57 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 02:47 PM

I have both the Kindle2 and the nook. I prefer the Kindle... Faster page refresh rate, the physical keyboard is easier to search with than the touchscreen, the buttons to turn the pages with are more responsive on the kindle (the ones on the nook sometimes take 2 presses)... I still like the nook for the epub compatibility, but ended up giving it to the gf. The Kindle2 will go to my mom as soon as the Kindle3 arrives on my doorstep. Yeah, we all read a lot.
1x HR24-500 | 2x HR22-100

#15 OFFLINE   Indiana627

Indiana627

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,176 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 05:09 PM

Well I bought the Nook today. I figure at least I'll have something to give her on her birthday, and then I can explain about the Kindle wi-fi coming out at the end of the month and let her to decide to keep the Nook or return it and order the Kindle. Thanks for all the responses.
Mark

D* since January 2003

#16 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,000 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 01 August 2010 - 06:18 PM

What does this mean?

You can't read the kindle in the dark? It's not backlit?

No backlight.

I thought I'd like the Nooks lending function, but wish it weren't so limited. You can only do it once per title, and limited to 14 days. This is of course if the publisher allows it. I'm surprised many do. It seemed like a lot of publishers were against the Kindle text to speech, fearing it would hurt audiobook sales, even though there's no comparison, and Amazon is the largest audiobook seller, since they own Audible.

#17 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,442 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 01 August 2010 - 06:21 PM

No backlight.

Ouch, that stinks.

I was thinking about getting one (or two) for a couple of reasons: 1. My wife likes to read in the evening while I'm watching TV, but neither of us like having the living room light on. 2. I was hoping to use it on flights without having to keep the overhead light on. Bummer.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#18 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,892 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 07:00 PM

Ouch, that stinks.

I was thinking about getting one (or two) for a couple of reasons: 1. My wife likes to read in the evening while I'm watching TV, but neither of us like having the living room light on. 2. I was hoping to use it on flights without having to keep the overhead light on. Bummer.

That's the nature of e-ink

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E_Ink

There are quite a few clip on lights for these readers.

However, it's much easier on my eyes in well lit situations. There's no glare on the screen and the contrast is...well it's exactly like reading a book. I had a hard time reading my laptop screen on the beach, but absolutely not problem reading my Kindle.

I much prefer E Ink over an LCD screen for reading.

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#19 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,592 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 07:48 PM

I bought the nook for my wife last Christmas and she loves it.

She can check books out from the library online for free, and it reads open source materials and formats [...]

In our neck of the woods, NY's Westchester County Library system uses Overdrive's digital rights management system to protect the e-book titles in it's catalog. For whatever reason, Overdrive supports Nook and Sony, but not Kindle.

So if anyone is considering going that route, you might want to check which file delivery system your local library is using.

Edited by Steve, 01 August 2010 - 08:17 PM.

/steve

#20 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 09:09 PM

it's mostly because Amazon doesn't want other (competing) ebook standards to be readable on their device. I can't read an AZW on my Nook.

That said, I can cross-read any epub file from Sony or whoever.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...