Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Kindle or Nook?

• Please log in to reply
251 replies to this topic

#201 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,579 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 01:00 PM

I'll be curious to see what these guys have to say about the new Kindle Touch, since they raved about the touch-screen Nook introduced in July. The Touch is $99 for the ad-supported wifi verision, $139 without (and same price as the Nook). A 3G version is available for $50 more.
/steve

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#202 OFFLINE   klang

klang

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,268 posts
  • LocationNear Houston, TX

Posted 28 September 2011 - 01:19 PM

The touch screen isn't very compelling to me. Finger prints and such. I'm also not sure about the silver case. When I switched from K2 to K3 I found I really prefered the darker case. I pre-ordered K3 when it was announced, I won't be this one.

That said, I will likely find one under the Christmas tree. :lol:

#203 OFFLINE   HDJulie

HDJulie

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 858 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 04:41 PM

Does anyone have the ad-supported version of a Kindle? I want to get the Touch but it's $139 without the ads. It says the ads are only when you are not reading -- I take it that it's a static screen & so doesn't use any battery power? I'd hate to pay $139 for the touch when the Fire is only another $60

#204 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,939 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 28 September 2011 - 05:08 PM

Everything I've read about the ads are that they are non-intrusive and apparently some of them are actually good deals.

The ads are the screensaver, and I believe are also in your Library list. So it will use battery changing the picture, but no more than a normal Kindle.

We are talking about a 2-3 week battery life if wifi is off.

#205 OFFLINE   HDJulie

HDJulie

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 858 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 05:12 PM

Except I always leave WiFi on :-). Hmm, I can handle them being on the screen when it's off, but if hey are also in the library -- not sure how that looks. Hope it's not as bad as DirecTv's banner ads.

#206 OFFLINE   klang

klang

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 07:41 AM

Nice little writeup from Macworld on the new Kindle models here.

I look forward to Best Buy getting in the new E-Ink models to try out.

#207 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,579 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 08:08 AM

Nice little writeup from Macworld on the new Kindle models here.

Good read and great explanation of what the Fire is all about.

And sensible advice for folks that already own tablets, IMHO:

If you’ve already got an iPad, I’m not sure the Kindle Fire makes sense. The iPad already lets you read Kindle books, visit websites, rent videos, and the rest. If you haven’t bought an iPad, though, it looks compelling, but I’m a little concerned that the first-generation model is going to have some rough edges. Buyer beware.

I’ve got an iPad and a Kindle, though. I love my iPad, but I prefer reading books (and even my morning newspaper) on the light, small Kindle with its e-ink display. Personally, I’m torn between the fourth-generation Kindle and the Kindle Touch.

Similar feelings here. I'm torn between the Kindle Touch and the new B&N Nook, assuming reviews on features and usability are comparable. If B&N drops the price of the Nook Touch to $99 in response to the the new Kindle, I'll probably buy one or the other as a stocking stuffer for my wife. E-ink is best for books, IMHO, because it works indoors and outdoors, and charging is really a non-issue.
/steve

#208 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,442 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 29 September 2011 - 08:20 AM

My wife has the newer Nook and loves it. I have the ASUS Transformer and love it. I read off of it every night and have no issues. In fact, I prefer it because while my wife needs a little clip on light to read at night when we're in bed, I don't. Just one less thing to worry about and never any eye strain. It also helps that I read while on my stomach, so weight of the device doesn't matter. Usually I just keep the keyboard attached the Transformer, so that it's propped up just right, and just have one finger on the next arrow for page changes.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#209 OFFLINE   klang

klang

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 08:41 AM

Similar feelings here. I'm torn between the Kindle Touch and the new B&N Nook, assuming reviews on features and usability are comparable. If B&N drops the price of the Nook Touch to $99 in response to the the new Kindle, I'll probably buy one or the other as a stocking stuffer for my wife. E-ink is best for books, IMHO, because it works indoors and outdoors, and charging is really a non-issue.

I really think the reading experience will be the same between the Kindle and Nook touch's. It gets down to where you want to buy your books from.

#210 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,692 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 08:54 AM

My wife has the newer Nook and loves it. I have the ASUS Transformer and love it. I read off of it every night and have no issues. In fact, I prefer it because while my wife needs a little clip on light to read at night when we're in bed, I don't. Just one less thing to worry about and never any eye strain. It also helps that I read while on my stomach, so weight of the device doesn't matter. Usually I just keep the keyboard attached the Transformer, so that it's propped up just right, and just have one finger on the next arrow for page changes.

Having traveled for work these past 3 weeks....I've started to see more of a mixed bag of devices being used for eBook reading.

On various flights and at airports/hotels...I've seen iOS and Android tablets being used more for eBooks than perhaps just 6 montha ago. The value of using a tablet for that many other purposes, as well as an eBook reader seems to be taking off in the market.

Like you, I have the option to use either the Kindle or Nook reader apps on the ASUS Transformer for eBooks - both work very well on the tablet, I really like the visual presentation these apps provide, as well as the sizing options of the contents.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#211 OFFLINE   bobukcat

bobukcat

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 08:54 AM

Except I always leave WiFi on :-). Hmm, I can handle them being on the screen when it's off, but if hey are also in the library -- not sure how that looks. Hope it's not as bad as DirecTv's banner ads.

It is so easy and quick to turn wireless on and off on a Kindle that there is no reason to leave it on unless you're actually looking for or downloading content and the downloads usually take less than a minute.

#212 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,692 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 08:58 AM

I really think the reading experience will be the same between the Kindle and Nook touch's. It gets down to where you want to buy your books from.

Agreed.

That would seem to be another advantage of going the tablet route - you can use either one on a single device....just sayin'....

#213 OFFLINE   klang

klang

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 09:37 AM

Edit: never mind, the topic is ereaders not tablets.

Edited by klang, 29 September 2011 - 09:58 AM.

#214 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,579 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 10:05 AM

Didn't see your original post, but if your point was visibility sitting at the beach or poolside, I agree. That's where the e-ink devices really shine (no pun intended :P). According to the PCMag "eyes on":

The Fire's screen is glossy, but super-sharp. I had some trouble with reflections from bright lights when I was photographing it, so I'm a little worried about glare outdoors.

/steve

#215 OFFLINE   klang

klang

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 10:28 AM

Didn't see your original post, but if your point was visibility sitting at the beach or poolside, I agree. That's where the e-ink devices really shine (no pun intended :P). According to the PCMag "eyes on":

:up:

I also much prefer the size and weight of a dedicated ereader. Much more comfortable for me to hold for longer periods.

#216 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,692 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 11:03 AM

I also much prefer the size and weight of a dedicated ereader. Much more comfortable for me to hold for longer periods.

Various tablets function as eReaders - and quite well. I've used a tablet as an ereader on 5 hour trips with no fatigue - they are light too.

If someone spends $100 - $160 on a dedicated eReader...that's just fine...one size doesn't fit all though.

As someone posted before - the key to a selection/decision tends to reside in the content source and their corresponding eBook choices. What a tablet brings to the table is the ability to support both Kindle and Nook - so for that reason, its a 3rd option that some might just consider added bang for the buck when considering a tablet.

Of the 2 exclusive eBook reader listed choices - I'm seeing more and more Nooks as I travel these days.

#217 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,417 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 29 September 2011 - 12:22 PM

I think there may be elephant in the room that isn't being fully addressed.

If you don't have an e-reader or a tablet the competition just got interesting. If you have invested in B&N reader content you're going to think twice about jumping ship, but you won't toss your current Nook and your content in the garbage even if you are looking around.

No longer is it a choice between spending $600 on an iPad or $90 for an e-reader. In terms of hardware, here's where we are this morning when you go to the two web sites:

Posted Image

I'm sure the difference in prices will get even narrower.

So sure, if you just want to read, both have nice $90± offerings.

But once you see a need to pay over $100, the top of the line starts looking appealing. And at that point, you start looking at what's accessible through the store.

It's coming down to the "I just want to read books on a small device without bells and whistles" versus "Gee, I could watch a movie if I got tired of reading" choice. Then it immediately leads to "what can I get and how much will it cost" thinking.

The Nook started the trend away from "just a reader" but the Kindle Fire has really heated up that trend. And Amazon has successfully created buzz that the Fire will take over the non-iPad tablet market this Christmas when in fact the Fire really fits the Nook Color niche. Neither one is effectively going to be competing in the "I use my tablet to create complex spreadsheets" market.

But B&N will have to hustle to avoid getting lost in the media blitz.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#218 OFFLINE   HDJulie

HDJulie

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 858 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 01:21 PM

It is so easy and quick to turn wireless on and off on a Kindle that there is no reason to leave it on unless you're actually looking for or downloading content and the downloads usually take less than a minute.

That's true -- I should probably just do that. Right now, I only read at home (have not been traveling for work in almost a year) so it isn't a big deal to charge the Kindle every 10 days. And, I pre-order alot of books & like not having to think about downloading them -- they just show up. But, I do get an email from Amazon when the books are available so I really have no reason not to turn off WiFi. Other than laziness, that is :-0

#219 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,981 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 29 September 2011 - 02:02 PM

If you don't have an e-reader or a tablet the competition just got interesting. If you have invested in B&N reader content you're going to think twice about jumping ship, but you won't toss your current Nook and your content in the garbage even if you are looking around.

When (not if) the Kindle Fire gets rooted, I'm sure that we will see folks install the B&N Nook app, just as many of us have installed the Kindle app on our rooted Nooks.

While the dual-core processor of the Fire looks appealing, the storage limitations make it a non-starter for me (cloud storage ain't the answer I'm looking for). I'm happy with CyanogenMod 7 (Gingerbread) on my Nook Color.

#220 OFFLINE   klang

klang

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 02:12 PM

I really think for the holiday shopping season the $79 price point of the Kindle is going to have the biggest impact. B&N will have to match it. There are going to be a lot more people buying ebooks after the first of the year.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...