Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Kindle or Nook?

• Please log in to reply
251 replies to this topic

#221 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,572 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 02:17 PM

I really think for the holiday shopping season the $79 price point of the Kindle is going to have the biggest impact. B&N will have to match it. There are going to be a lot more people buying ebooks after the first of the year.

And it doesn't sound like the ads are too bad either. From what I read, it sounds like they show them in place of the author portraits they rotate through now on the K3 we own. If so, that's not intrusive at all.
/steve

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#222 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,572 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 01:57 PM

Tom's Hardware put the fourth Generation Kindle through its paces ($79 with ads, $109 without). Compared to the Kindle 3G ($99/$139), it has no keyboard, a marginally inferior screen, reduced storage, reduced battery life, and no performance improvement. It's 2 ounces lighter and $20/$30 cheaper.

We've already have a 3G Kindle, so based on what they have to say, doesn't look like there's a compelling reason to upgrade it. Even though it's heavier, it still weighs < half a pound.
/steve

#223 OFFLINE   klang

klang

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,268 posts
  • LocationNear Houston, TX

Posted 01 October 2011 - 02:27 PM

Tom's Hardware put the fourth Generation Kindle through its paces ($79 with ads, $109 without). Compared to the Kindle 3G ($99/$139), it has no keyboard, a marginally inferior screen, reduced storage, reduced battery life, and no performance improvement. It's 2 ounces lighter and $20/$30 cheaper.

We've already have a 3G Kindle, so based on what they have to say, doesn't look like there's a compelling reason to upgrade it. Even though it's heavier, it still weighs < half a pound.

That is a little disappointing. I suppose they had to make changes to make that $79 price point. I would likely have gotten a K4 at some point if the screen quality was the same as my K3. I'm tempted to pick up a $99 K3 as a backup.

Edit to add:

The touch model is supposed to have the same battery size and storage as the K3, maybe it will retain the same grade display as well. I'm not concerned about storage, I've currently got about 30 books queued up and still have over 3 GB free. Display quality and battery life I would not want to give up.

Edited by klang, 02 October 2011 - 12:12 PM.

#224 OFFLINE   klang

klang

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 12:10 PM

Engadget reviews the K4. They don't mention any difference in screen quality from the K3. Batch variations perhaps?

#225 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,572 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 12:18 PM

Engadget reviews the K4. They don't mention any difference in screen quality from the K3. Batch variations perhaps?

Could be. I thought Tom's was really nitpicking on the screen quality.

What Tom's does show is the new screen is no better, so really no compelling reason to upgrade, if you already have a K3, IMHO. "eDataSource [...] estimated that Amazon sold around 25,000 models of its new line of Kindle e-readers, priced at $79 and $99", so they're not exactly flying out the door. [more]
/steve

#226 OFFLINE   klang

klang

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 04:01 PM

"eDataSource [...] estimated that Amazon sold around 25,000 models of its new line of Kindle e-readers, priced at $79 and $99", so they're not exactly flying out the door. [more]

I think they will sell a ton once the Holiday shopping season cranks up. 79 bucks will be a winner.

#227 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,572 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 04:15 PM

Re-reading the review, I realize I missed this bit, re: the "blackness" of the Kindle Keyboard (K3) vs. the Kindle 4:

We called up E Ink Corporation to ask if this was a batch-related issue, and was told that this is most likely due to Amazon choosing a particular grade of display panels. So, while the new Kindle comes at a lower price, the company is probably cutting its costs as well by using a slightly cheaper display.

I only bring this up because lower contrast text can be troublesome to folks with early onset or acute cataracts.

Posted Image
Deeper Black on Kindle Keyboard

/steve

#228 OFFLINE   klang

klang

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 05:07 PM

I wonder if the bezel color is effecting the apparent contrast? I don't know if I care for the silver color. Have to see what it looks like in person.

#229 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,572 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 06:02 PM

I wonder if the bezel color is effecting the apparent contrast? I don't know if I care for the silver color. Have to see what it looks like in person.

Agree, only because it bothered the reviewer enough to mention it.
/steve

#230 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,572 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 06:39 AM

PCMag's review of the $79 Kindle. They noted the screen was a bit dimmer than previous models, but didn't make a big deal out of it. They've actually made this reader their "Editors Choice", over the Nook Touch, because it's $60 cheaper. Both devices earned 4.5 stars out of 5.

http://www.pcmag.com...bid=Us_HkJOddjl

I was a little disappointed to read that ads are not just on the standby screen:

So, about those special offers: Periodically I'd return to the Kindle and find a full-screen ad about bedding and bath products, Amazon MP3, or Amazon's credit card. These actually were offers, not just straight ads; for example, you get $20 off those bedding products, a $2 discount on a specific MP3 album, or a $50 gift card for signing up for the credit card. Those ads looked attractive enough, as if they belonged in a Crate and Barrel catalog, but it was still a little disconcerting to be "advertised at" on my bedside table.

I also saw occasional banner ads at the bottom of the screen, which appear on the home screen and in the settings menu. You can view all the special offers at once, via an option on the home screen pop-up menu. However, not all ads were special offers; I saw one from a cellular carrier that was plainly just a full-screen ad. Overall, the ads are less obtrusive than I expected, but if the idea bothers you, you can buy an ad-free Kindle for $109, or $30 more than the base model.

/steve

#231 OFFLINE   klang

klang

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 09:36 AM

PCMag's review of the $79 Kindle. They noted the screen was a bit dimmer than previous models, but didn't make a big deal out of it. They've actually made this reader their "Editors Choice", over the Nook Touch, because it's $60 cheaper. Both devices earned 4.5 stars out of 5.

There is a thread about the K4 screen at in the Kindle forum at Amazon. Several people saying it is worse and others saying it is the same or better. There is also a software upgrade available already. :whatdidid

I need to stop by Best Buy and take a peek for myself.

#232 OFFLINE   klang

klang

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 06:31 PM

Software update available for the Kindle 3 from Amazon today. Enhancements not too exciting to me.

#233 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,572 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 10:34 PM

Came across this Isaac Asimov short today, written for a children's newspaper in 1951:

Margie even wrote about it that night in her diary. On the page headed May 17, 2157, she wrote, "Today, Tommy found a real book!"

It was a very old book. Margie's grandfather once said that when he was a little boy his grandfather told him that there was a time when all stories were printed on paper.

They turned the pages, which were yellow and crinkly, and it was awfully funny to read words that stood still instead of moving the way they were supposed to--on a screen, you know. And then, when they turned back to the page before, it had the same words on it that it had had when they read it the first time.

"Gee," said Tommy, "what a waste. When you're through with the book, you just throw it away, I guess. Our television screen must have had a million books on it and it's good for plenty more. I wouldn't throw it away."

[more]

/steve

#234 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,689 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 05:49 AM

Looks like the hottest item will be the Android-based Kindle Fire:

http://www.mobilewha...on-sales-in-q4/

However, if recent analysts are to be believed, the Kindle Fire may quickly become the best-selling Android powered tablet on the market. In fact, these analysts suggest that the Kindle Fire may sell as many as 5 million units in Q4 alone.

DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#235 OFFLINE   klang

klang

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 11:40 AM

Software update available for the Kindle 3 from Amazon today. Enhancements not too exciting to me.

This is a little more interesting than I originally thought. If you email documents to your Kindle they are now archived on Amazon servers along with the rest of your purchased books. The sync process also now works for Personal Documents. At this point only the physical Kindles can access the Personal Documents part of the archive but the apps will get that ability.

So for instance, I just bought an ebook from Baen. While I did the regular download to my mac I also told Baen to email it to my Kindle. This new book is now in my Kindle archive.

#236 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,572 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 05:53 AM

SEATTLE — Amazon.com has taught readers that they do not need bookstores. Now it is encouraging writers to cast aside their publishers.

Amazon will publish 122 books this fall in an array of genres, in both physical and e-book form. It is a striking acceleration of the retailer’s fledging publishing program that will place Amazon squarely in competition with the New York houses that are also its most prominent suppliers.

[...]

Publishers say Amazon is aggressively wooing some of their top authors. And the company is gnawing away at the services that publishers, critics and agents used to provide. [more]

I wonder if these titles will only be available in Amazon e-book formats? :scratchin

Russell Grandinetti, one of Amazon's top execs, had this to say: “The only really necessary people in the publishing process now are the writer and reader”

Edited by Steve, 17 October 2011 - 06:16 AM.

/steve

#237 OFFLINE   klang

klang

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 06:32 PM

Finally had a couple minutes hands on with a demo Kindle 4 at Best Buy today. Much smaller and lighter without the keyboard and the 'extra memory and battery' ;). K3 right next to it, I really couldn't see any difference between the displays if both are set to the same font and size. Silver bezel color is a bit darker than it appears to me in the photos I have seen. Nice unit.

Looking forward to trying out the touch model next month.

#238 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,572 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 06:45 PM

Finally had a couple minutes hands on with a demo Kindle 4 at Best Buy today. Much smaller and lighter without the keyboard and the 'extra memory and battery' ;). K3 right next to it, I really couldn't see any difference between the displays if both are set to the same font and size. Silver bezel color is a bit darker than it appears to me in the photos I have seen. Nice unit.

Looking forward to trying out the touch model next month.

I've been looking for an excuse to upgrade our K3 ever since the B&N touch screen came out to rave reviews, and now there are three worthy new Kindle competitors to consider! But none of the new e-ink devices have a better screen than the K3, and we already have an color LCD reader option courtesy of the iPad, so I just can't justify another "gadget" in the house. Maybe if I'm lucky the K3 will die, or get lost or stolen. :P
/steve

#239 OFFLINE   klang

klang

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 07:05 PM

I've been looking for an excuse to upgrade our K3 ever since the B&N touch screen came out to rave reviews, and now there are three worthy new Kindle competitors to consider! But none of the new e-ink devices have a better screen than the K3, and we already have an color LCD reader option courtesy of the iPad, so I just can't justify another "gadget" in the house. Maybe if I'm lucky the K3 will die, or get lost or stolen. :P

My wife gives me a hard time every year that I don't give her enough of a Christmas list. Heck we pretty much buy what we want throughout the year. Assuming the Kindle Touch screen is as good as the K3 and K4 I'll probably have one under the tree.

#240 OFFLINE   dmspen

dmspen

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,402 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 08:27 AM

Got an email from Amazon yesterday. You can trade in your 'old' Kindle for a credit towards a new one. I checked what they would give me for my 10 month old Kindle 3 no 3G...wow, a whole $25.

If people take up these deals, expect to see some used Kindles on the market when the Fire comes out.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...