Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Kindle or Nook?

• Please log in to reply
251 replies to this topic

#241 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,406 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 08:44 AM

I've been thinking about the Kindle Fire, and I've come to the conclusion if I wanted a $199 7" color tablet to read books, play movies and listen to music, I'd be better off with the Lenovo A1.

It can run the Kindle, B&N and Google Book reading apps, I can still use the Amazon or Google music clouds, the Amazon or Google app stores, I get front and rear cameras for Skyping with the grandkids and all my personalized web activity will not be passing through Amazon's servers, like with the Fire.

I also get stock Android 2.3 as opposed to Amazon's custom UI, with the prospect of an ICS upgrade. Just my .02. YMMV.

Edited by Steve, 26 October 2011 - 08:55 AM.

/steve

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#242 OFFLINE   klang

klang

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,268 posts
  • LocationNear Houston, TX

Posted 26 October 2011 - 08:53 AM

I've still got my original K2 in my desk as a backup for my K3. If I get a touch I will probably drop off the K2 at Goodwill.

#243 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,406 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 11:05 AM

The new Nook Tablet is $50 more than the Kindle Fire. Better piece of hardware, though.
  • Faster CPU by virtue of 1GB memory vs. 512 (Fire)
  • 16GB internal storage vs. 8GB (Fire)
  • 32GB expansion slot vs none (Fire)
  • supposedly better looking, laminated color screen with no "air gaps" vs. "Blackberry Playbook reference design" screen (Fire)
  • B&N claims video playback should be superior... remains to be seen.
  • Built-in microphone allows you to record your voice narrating child's book on the device. Cool idea, IMHO.
  • More detailed Nook Tablet vs. Kindle Fire comparison here.
Pandora, Hulu and Netflix come standard. Free cloud storage. 2.5 million books. What's not to like? :scratchin

Like the Kindle Fire, it's customized Gingerbread. Apps available through B&N.

The Nook "Simple Touch" tablet price is now $99, with no ads. Also 25% faster due to a software upgrade. :up:

Edited by Steve, 07 November 2011 - 11:13 AM.

/steve

#244 OFFLINE   Cholly

Cholly

Old Guys Rule!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,425 posts
  • LocationIndian Trail, NC

Posted 07 November 2011 - 11:12 AM

A new carrot for those wanting to make a decision on ebook readers: Amazon is now offering free Kindle books to Amazon Prime members who own a Kindle. I haven't checked to see if this offer also includes Kindle apps on tablets or smartphones, but I'm inclined to doubt it. :(

Charlie
--------------------

Family Room: Sony KDFE-55A20 55" LCD RPTV; Yamaha RX-V663 AVR. Paradigm speakers - Focus fronts, CC170 center, PDR-8 subwoofer, Atom surrounds, ADP rear center; TiVoRoamio Plus, LG BH200 HD DVD/Blu-ray player via HDMI to AVR
Bedroom: Vizio 42" 3D TV, Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR, Panasonic 3D DVD player, Energy Take Classic 5.1 speakers, Roku 2 XD, TiVo Premiere, Insignia HD radio tuner, Toshiba HD DVD player

#245 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,406 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 11:32 AM

A new carrot for those wanting to make a decision on ebook readers: Amazon is now offering free Kindle books to Amazon Prime members who own a Kindle [...]

They're not free to keep. Just to read. Looks like up to one a month, with no time limit. The major publishers are not participating, however, so the selection is limited to "only" 5000 titles at this time, including "public domain" titles.

http://techland.time...-public-domain/
/steve

#246 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,338 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 07 November 2011 - 11:40 AM

A new carrot for those wanting to make a decision on ebook readers: Amazon is now offering free Kindle books to Amazon Prime members who own a Kindle. I haven't checked to see if this offer also includes Kindle apps on tablets or smartphones, but I'm inclined to doubt it. :(

Kindle apps don't qualify. Considering some of the terms at least one of the big publishers put on libraries, making them rebuy ebooks after 25 checkouts, I don't see some of them jumping on this. The RIAA is downright progressive compared to the publishing industry.

#247 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,406 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 07:33 AM

Nook Simple Touch $79 in B&N stores today.

http://gadgetbox.msn...on-black-friday
/steve

#248 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,406 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 11:16 AM

Thought I'd survey who's using what here. TIA for voting.
/steve

#249 OFFLINE   klang

klang

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 25 December 2011 - 11:06 AM

New Kindle touch today, pretty nice BTW, and it appears Amazon's servers are screwed up. Can't get anything to download from my archive. Many others reporting the same thing. Glad I'm not on-call for Amazon today. :lol:

#250 OFFLINE   klang

klang

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 25 December 2011 - 11:44 AM

New Kindle touch today, pretty nice BTW, and it appears Amazon's servers are screwed up. Can't get anything to download from my archive. Many others reporting the same thing. Glad I'm not on-call for Amazon today. :lol:

OK, rather odd, turns out the fix is to delete the Welcome document they send to you after registering. :lol:

#251 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,966 posts

Posted 25 December 2011 - 11:51 AM

We got our daughter a Kindle Keyboard for Christmas. I had planned on getting her the WiFi one as she can manage that. But when I went to order it, the WiFi and 3G were the same price.

I don't remember the site saying anything about it, but it seems the reduced price 3G one has Special Offers on it. Winner for me and she doesn't care. I was going to initially get her the SO one anyway, but she wanted a keyboard, so we both ended up with what we wanted. :)

The downside is the price of the Kindle will pale compared to the cost of all the books she will read. But if a tween wants to read, I am all for it.

#252 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,406 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 07:11 AM

PC Mag gives it 4.5 stars:

http://www.pcmag.com...,2403376,00.asp
/steve

spam firewall