Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Kindle or Nook?

• Please log in to reply
251 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,443 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 01 August 2010 - 09:28 PM

So, my wife has several hundred books that she got online somewhere and usually reads on her laptop. Most of them are in pdf or word or pub formats, IIRC.

Can she use the Kindle for these? The Nook?

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Marlin Guy

Marlin Guy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,122 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 10:04 PM

Nook Supports EPUB, PDB, PDF text formats
It also plays music in mp3, ogg vorbis.
It has a web browser (greyscale) and card slot for removable storage.

I don't know what the Kindle can handle. It seems to vary based on which version you get.
Team Mexico Pork Cloud

#23 OFFLINE   klang

klang

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,268 posts
  • LocationNear Houston, TX

Posted 02 August 2010 - 07:37 AM

There is a nice chart here cross referencing the various hardware and file types.

#24 OFFLINE   Marlin Guy

Marlin Guy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,122 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 07:55 AM

I had seen that chart, but it is behind and is missing some recent changes.
For example, you can now run nook on an Android phone.
Team Mexico Pork Cloud

#25 OFFLINE   uncouth

uncouth

AllStar

• Registered
  • 57 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 07:59 AM

You can use Calibre to manage your e-reader (both nook and Kindle are supported) and to convert nearly any ebook format to work with either. Best of all, it's free...

http://calibre-ebook.com/
1x HR24-500 | 2x HR22-100

#26 OFFLINE   dmurphy

dmurphy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,676 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 09:34 AM

Ouch, that stinks.

I was thinking about getting one (or two) for a couple of reasons: 1. My wife likes to read in the evening while I'm watching TV, but neither of us like having the living room light on. 2. I was hoping to use it on flights without having to keep the overhead light on. Bummer.

It's actually a pretty nice thing, believe it or not.

Because it's not backlit, there are two benefits:

1) Extra-super long battery life.
2) Easy to read in sunlight.

My wife and I use this clip-on light at night. Works great.

Also, the best recommendation I can make is to AVOID the Amazon-branded case for the Kindle. It uses "hooks" on the left side to secure the Kindle, and it has the potential to crack the front of the Kindle if you open the case backwards. (This happened to my wife's.) Thank goodness Amazon's customer service is so good -- they replaced the Kindle overnight and gave me a credit to buy a different case. I use this case but there are plenty of others... just look for one that has "straps" to secure the Kindle to the case and doesn't rely solely on the hook system.

#27 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,878 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 10:35 AM

Actually a clip-on light works very well. Think about it. People have been reading non-backlit books for thousands of years without issues.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#28 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,443 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 02 August 2010 - 10:49 AM

Yep, a clipon light would work well. Every little add on though is a hassle when traveling. I already carry a USB pouch, laptop camera, 2 external HD's, headphones, travel mouse, etc.

#29 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,492 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 02 August 2010 - 11:11 AM

Actually a clip-on light works very well. Think about it. People have been reading non-backlit books for thousands of years without issues.

That's almost true. Not being able to read at night except by making sure you have enough candles and flints had to be a hassle. A clip-on light has to have batteries or a cord.

Just think how much smarter Amazon would have looked if they, with the introduction of the new models, simply had added a backlight that could be switched on and off. Then one could read in the bright sunlight, plus in the dark in bed without disturbing your significant other. Wonder if they'd pay me for that not original idea....:sure:

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#30 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,443 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 02 August 2010 - 11:13 AM

Just think how much smarter Amazon would have looked if they, with the introduction of the new models, simply had added a backlight that could be switched on and off. Then one could read in the bright sunlight, plus in the dark in bed without disturbing your significant other. Wonder if they'd pay me for that not original idea....:sure:

that's exactly how I had assumed they worked.

#31 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,878 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 11:26 AM

Actually the e-ink technology of Kindles is totally different from LED or LCD technology as implemented in pretty much every other display device. It doesn't require power to keep the image active, only to change it. It's not a translucent mask over a background medium as LCD is. It's totally different. I do have a clip-on for my Kindle and I find that I use the clip on very rarely, where on the other hand I really enjoy the highly legible screen in almost every situation. I could never read an iBook over lunch, but a Kindle book is no problem.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#32 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,492 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 02 August 2010 - 11:48 AM

Actually the e-ink technology of Kindles is totally different from LED or LCD technology as implemented in pretty much every other display device. It doesn't require power to keep the image active, only to change it. It's not a translucent mask over a background medium as LCD is. It's totally different. I do have a clip-on for my Kindle and I find that I use the clip on very rarely, where on the other hand I really enjoy the highly legible screen in almost every situation. I could never read an iBook over lunch, but a Kindle book is no problem.

Yes, reading habits, along with price, make the iPad and Kindle very different choices.

I rarely spend more than two minutes in direct sunlight nor more than five minutes in partial sun what with having fair Irish skin and a family history of melanoma. On the other hand I do like to read before going to sleep and I've never been able make clip on book lights work without disturbing my wife. My iPad is perfect in this situation, albeit a terribly expensive choice compared to the new regular screen size Kindle prices.

The irony is I have yet to buy a book from the iBook store - so far I seem to use the Kindle app and buy books from Amazon.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#33 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,627 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 11:56 AM

After browsing the current selection of books I can "e-borrow" for free from my library (and being the cheapskate that I am :lol:), I guess if I was going to pull the trigger on one of these, I'd go for the Nook simply because it's compatible with my library's Overdrive DRM system and the Kindle isn't.

I'm guessing that to stay competitive with Amazon, B&N will come out with a next generation Nook before Christmas. The Sony's are Overdrive compatible as well, but I'd be surprised if they came out with a comparably featured model that is price competitive. You never know, tho. :)
/steve

#34 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 11:59 AM

So, my wife has several hundred books that she got online somewhere and usually reads on her laptop. Most of them are in pdf or word or pub formats, IIRC.

Can she use the Kindle for these? The Nook?

scanned PDFs are a pain in the ass on any e-reader; if they're PDFs with actual text in them it should work fine. If not, they're just big images and they don't scale so well for readability on e-ink.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#35 OFFLINE   Lee L

Lee L

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,134 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 10:41 AM

I'm in kind of the same dilemma. My wife is a huge reader and she does travel a decent amount for work, probably 15 times a year. Of course, if she finishes a book and has to buy one at the airport bookstore, they rob you and for your trouble give you a feee book. ;) After some skepticism, she has warmed to ebooks, at least for light reading.

Our library recently started lending eBooks and they are using the Overdrive DRM, so that is in favor of the Nook, though they only have about 150 titles right now, so not a huge plus yet.

On the other hand, the new Kindle is way thinner than the Nook, though even it is not that thick. Also, I do have an iPhone so the abilty to link th eKindle account could be good.

Another issue is we leave for a trip sunday Sept 12, so if I can't have the Kindle 3 by then, she will miss out on being able to use it when we fly for 5 hours both ways. They are saying ships by Sept 8th right now so I should jus tbe able to get it by Friday the 10th, but I hate to trust that without knowing if they have been beating their dates since a one day slip would probably mean it gets here while we are gone.

And finally, one thing I don;t know, is are there publishers with exclusive deals with one or the other? I don't want to buy her a e-reader and it turn out that she can't get some books that she wants because they are only availble on the other platform.

DirecTV, please don't make me have to go back to watching March Madness in standard Def! Oh, and the usual begging for AMC and BBC America. You are so close to actually being the HD Leader.

#36 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 10 August 2010 - 11:08 AM

So far, the only stuff that I haven't been able to buy on Amazon for my Kindle (that interests me) is the stuff I've bought on Baen's site (to say nothing of their incredible Free Library). Now, Baen is a mostly Science Fiction & Fantasy publisher so if that's not her bag, then there's no gain.

However, I *do* have to load the e-books from my laptop to my Kindle (via the USB cable) since they're not in on Amazon's Whispernet infrastructure. They come in the .MOBI format which is compatible with the Kindle.

#37 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 10:09 PM

Has anyone bought the new Color NOOK? I am trying to decide on an e-reader. I like the Nook's ability to share content with my laptop/Desktop. It appears from the claims, the Nook has twice as many titles available as the Kindle.

So, from the three choices, Nook, Nook Color, Kindle (WiFi) versions, any pro's or cons on any of them? I have two Barnes and Nobles close by if that makes a difference.

I hate these beta vs VHS format wars.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#38 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,923 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 10:47 PM

Has anyone bought the new Color NOOK? I am trying to decide on an e-reader. I like the Nook's ability to share content with my laptop/Desktop. It appears from the claims, the Nook has twice as many titles available as the Kindle.

So, from the three choices, Nook, Nook Color, Kindle (WiFi) versions, any pro's or cons on any of them? I have two Barnes and Nobles close by if that makes a difference.

I hate these beta vs VHS format wars.

From what I've read they both have about the same amount of content with the Nook claiming to have about 50k more, but with each have totals over 2 million titles. I haven’t seen anywhere that says Nook has twice as many titles. Can you give me a link. :shrug:

http://www.digitaltr...eader-face-off/
http://www.itweb7.co...orts-customers/

Take all I’m about to say with a grain of salt because I have two Kindles in the house. :grin:

The Kindle can share content with my laptop/desktop/smartphone. When I connect the Kindle to my laptop I transfer stuff back and forth all the time. Additionally, when I’m reading on my phone, say at the doctor’s office, and then go home and pickup my Kindle it knows where I left off. You can go between all the various platforms and it will always know where you left off. However, if you have the Wi-Fi only version you would need to be near a Wi-Fi hotspot or your home network for this to work. I only have to pay for the book once and I can read it on my laptop, my Android phone, or my iPhone. The app is free for all platforms...I think.

I like to read in the backyard (faces south) and at the beach so the Kindle is a must for me. I’ve tried to read on a tablet LCD screen at the beach and I couldn’t get past the glare. I’ve never used the Nook so I can only assume it will fare no better than any other LCD screens in the sun. The ease of reading is really the biggest criteria for me. You’ll have to decide what’s most important to you and then decide which ereader is for you.

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#39 OFFLINE   BoJackson999

BoJackson999

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 01:17 AM

I bought my boyfriend a Nook for Christmas and he loves it! When I went to Best Buy the guy that helped me said most people prefer the Nook. My brother-in-law has the Kindle and has been very happy with it. I think both are great gifts!

#40 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,923 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 03:17 AM

I bought my boyfriend a Nook for Christmas and he loves it! When I went to Best Buy the guy that helped me said most people prefer the Nook. My brother-in-law has the Kindle and has been very happy with it. I think both are great gifts!

I agree. :)

IMHO, it comes down to what features are important to you and then get what best suits you needs...personal preference.

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...