Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Kindle or Nook?

• Please log in to reply
251 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   gphvid

gphvid

Godfather

• Registered
  • 498 posts
  • LocationThousand Oaks, Ca

Posted 18 May 2011 - 04:28 AM

I can say form personal experience that the Nook is the way to go. A friend has a Kindle but you are limited to Amazon stuff and can't run Android apps. I bought a Nook for my wife for Christmas and I wound up winning another in a giveaway in Feb. I have found that it is really easy to use and doesn't draw alot of power. With a snap on lite and a nice cover, it is a perfect companion that also will read a multitude of formats. Plus the Free Friday Ebook feature.
We both have the original Nook.

The Nook Color just had a software upgrade that now includes access to Android apps and in just a month, the B&N app store has had over one million downloads. And there is news of a new Nook Color coming out that will rival the iPad.

So with all this going for it, the Nook is the hands down way to go...

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 05:01 AM

Nook Color, all the way. I love mine.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#43 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,910 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 18 May 2011 - 06:46 AM

I can say form personal experience that the Nook is the way to go. A friend has a Kindle but you are limited to Amazon stuff and can't run Android apps. I bought a Nook for my wife for Christmas and I wound up winning another in a giveaway in Feb. I have found that it is really easy to use and doesn't draw alot of power. With a snap on lite and a nice cover, it is a perfect companion that also will read a multitude of formats. Plus the Free Friday Ebook feature.
We both have the original Nook.

The Nook Color just had a software upgrade that now includes access to Android apps and in just a month, the B&N app store has had over one million downloads. And there is news of a new Nook Color coming out that will rival the iPad.

So with all this going for it, the Nook is the hands down way to go...

Library books are coming to Kindle. And isn't it more like the Nook Color can run Android apps B&N allows you to have? I believe you have to go through the B&N app store, they block the Android Marketplace unless you root it.

For me, I prefer the screen of the Kindle compared to the Nook Color.

#44 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,573 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 06:49 AM

If mostly going to be used outdoors, Kindle, especially now that it's going to become "library-friendly".

If mostly for indoor reading, Nook Color is a lot more useful, IMO, because it's an excellent media player as well as an e-reader and photo viewer.

Just my .02.
/steve

#45 OFFLINE   klang

klang

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,268 posts
  • LocationNear Houston, TX

Posted 18 May 2011 - 07:07 AM

Another happy Kindle user here. :up: I've not used the e-ink Nook but I imagine the reading experience is similar.

#46 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,877 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 07:55 AM

If mostly going to be used outdoors, Kindle, especially now that it's going to become "library-friendly".

If mostly for indoor reading, Nook Color is a lot more useful, IMO, because it's an excellent media player as well as an e-reader and photo viewer.

Just my .02.

I do have music on my Kindle that I listen to sometimes while reading but it's very rudimentary. There is no media player. You select play music from a menu and it will play music from a single file in the order you transferred them to the Kindle. It’s more like putting in a cassette tape and just letting it run.

It’s not very useful for anything other than some background music so the Nook has a real big advantage as far as that goes.

For me it’s about reading and not apps but if someone wants it to do more then the Nook is probably best.

Mike

Edited by Mike Bertelson, 18 May 2011 - 08:01 AM.

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#47 OFFLINE   bobukcat

bobukcat

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 08:35 AM

My thoughts on this:

If you read outdoors very much either the Kindle or the Nook (not color) is the way to go. Kindle has a higher contrast ratio screen and the available cover with the built in light is super-sweet IMO. In addition, if you want to use either one in a pool, at the beach etc. I find the keys on the Kindle to be easier to find and easily actuate when the reader is in a plastic bag.

The Nook Color is very popular as a "poor-man's" tablet (no disrespect or slight meant to anyone!) because it's fairly easy to root and run a lot of Android applications on it. It would also be preferable for magazines or text books that included color diagrams. The battery life cannot compare to that of the Kindle or non-color nook (hours instead of weeks).

My wife and I both have the latest gen Kindle and she had a 2nd Gen one and we absolutely LOVE them. We have some friends that are equally enamored with their Nooks. I'm a big Amazon fan / customer so that helped with my decision, if you're more partial to B&N the Nook is likely a better choice.

#48 OFFLINE   klang

klang

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 08:48 AM

It would also be preferable for magazines or text books that included color diagrams.

That is a good point, e-ink doesn't do graphics near as well as an LCD.

I had been an Amazon customer for years so Kindle was the obvious choice for me.

#49 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,198 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 18 May 2011 - 09:01 AM

It depends on what you're doing. If you want to read books and (some) magazines and blogs, Kindle is hands-down, the way to go. Kindle's have batteries that can last a month. Using a Nook or other Android tablet is going to require much more frequent recharging.

That being said, if you want to play Angry Birds or watch movies on a tablet, get a tablet. The Kindle isn't made for any of that.

One side note - Amazon is supposedly releasing two Android tablets this year so you MAY want to wait. These are, allegedly, NOT going to be replacements for the Kindle. Only a color touch-screen e-ink would fit THAT bill and Bezos has said that the color e-ink technology isn't quite there yet. I'm guessing the Android tablets are a way to let Amazon play in that arena, get a foothold as far as market share goes and be a placeholder until some killer Kindle 4 comes out.

#50 OFFLINE   trdrjeff

trdrjeff

Icon

• Registered
  • 765 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 09:41 AM

My misses has the Nook Color and loves it, she has a friend with a regular nook, but they can 'loan' some books to one another so that is a nice option.

I like the fact I can tinker on it with Android, stream netflix now...
HR20-100
Sharp 52" LCD 1080p
Yamaha YSP Sound Projector fed with Optical
Harmony 700

HR22-100
32" Samsung LED New School

#51 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,877 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 10:19 AM

That is a good point, e-ink doesn't do graphics near as well as an LCD.

I had been an Amazon customer for years so Kindle was the obvious choice for me.

E-ink does graphics very well. It's just not in color. AAMOF, the current crop of Kindles have a higher resolution than the iPad (167ppi vs 132ppi); which is one of the reasons it displays text so clearly and smoothly. Now I know there's more to displaying graphics than just resolution but the screen saver pictures on the Kindle are pretty incredible. I've even replaced some of them with B&W versions of my own pictures and they are awesome looking (I'm old school and I love B&W photography :D).

It is nearly incapable of handling video. It's supposed to be able to do basic animated graphics but why would you want to watch video on a B&W display anyway? :shrug:
However, the latest e-ink display has a resolution of ≈375ppi...again that's B&W, but nearly three times the resolution of the average LCD tablet. Even more than the high-res Samsung recently announced. Epson has prototype using the latest e-ink technology displaying an A4 sized (≈8.25x11.7) newspaper page that has a resolution of 3104x4128. :eek2:

The current color e-ink (E-ink Triton) looks great in direct sunlight but it's still a far cry from the color depth of LCD in all other situations. IIRC, because of it's high resolution it's used in mostly in small applications like watches and the such...I think.

For video or color the Kindle is the wrong choice. Then again, if I wanted a good color display for uses beyond just reading books I wouldn't go with the Nook either. I would get a full featured Android tablet or an iPad, but that's just me. :grin:

Mike

a group of unrelated kittens is called a kindle...a kindle of kittens. :D

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#52 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 06:35 PM

Lots of good information here... so much so, that it still hasnt given me a lot of decision making. I DO want to be able to subscribe to current newspapers like maybe USA today or NY Times. Will they both do that? I know I could do all this on my laptop, but it gets rather heavy using it to read for hours. I like color, and do not plan to read outside. I have no use for watching a movie on a little screen. Music isnt that important, I have a portable XM radio with 4GB of storage with all my CD's on it.

So magazines and books pretty much... So if Kindle can do magazines... its still a toss up.

And Mike, there wasnt any link to the "twice as many titles"...I was just reading the advertising on Amazon and B&N. B&N advertised lots of free books. Didnt see anything like that on Amazon, but might have missed it.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#53 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,438 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 18 May 2011 - 06:44 PM

I'm not sure what that has to do with anything.

I've been an Amazon seller and Amazon Prime Customer for many years. I've probably been in a Barnes & Noble twice in my life. I still chose the Nook over the Kindle (but have since sold it in anticipation of buying a tablet)

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#54 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,910 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 18 May 2011 - 06:51 PM

Lots of good information here... so much so, that it still hasnt given me a lot of decision making. I DO want to be able to subscribe to current newspapers like maybe USA today or NY Times. Will they both do that? I know I could do all this on my laptop, but it gets rather heavy using it to read for hours. I like color, and do not plan to read outside. I have no use for watching a movie on a little screen. Music isnt that important, I have a portable XM radio with 4GB of storage with all my CD's on it.

So magazines and books pretty much... So if Kindle can do magazines... its still a toss up.

And Mike, there wasnt any link to the "twice as many titles"...I was just reading the advertising on Amazon and B&N. B&N advertised lots of free books. Didnt see anything like that on Amazon, but might have missed it.

Kindle does do newspapers. I wonder how many of the free books B&N has are public domain classics. kindle has those too.

I would suggest just browsing the Kindle selection on Amazon. That's the best way to see what they offer and prices of content.

#55 OFFLINE   klang

klang

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 07:07 PM

I'm not sure what that has to do with anything.

I've been an Amazon seller and Amazon Prime Customer for many years. I've probably been in a Barnes & Noble twice in my life. I still chose the Nook over the Kindle (but have since sold it in anticipation of buying a tablet)

I've been buying books from them for, a decade or more maybe? They, their systems that is, make recommendations to me on other titles I might enjoy. Many of the suggestions I find very useful. The buying experience through their website is the same except I tell it which device, normally my Kindle, to deliver the content to. Made perfect sense to me.

#56 OFFLINE   bobukcat

bobukcat

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 07:48 AM

I've been buying books from them for, a decade or more maybe? They, their systems that is, make recommendations to me on other titles I might enjoy. Many of the suggestions I find very useful. The buying experience through their website is the same except I tell it which device, normally my Kindle, to deliver the content to. Made perfect sense to me.

Agreed, I also have an amazing level of trust in Amazon customer service - probably more-so than any other company (on-line or not) that I've ever done business with. This has been developed from years and years of them just doing EVERYTHING right! Seriously, I've bought hundreds of items from them, including a $4K dollar TV and they have never once failed to handle things perfectly including replacing said $4K TV when it had an issue.

It's possible B&N would deliver a similar experience but I don't have the same level of trust / experience with them.

#57 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,910 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 19 May 2011 - 08:56 AM

Agreed, I also have an amazing level of trust in Amazon customer service - probably more-so than any other company (on-line or not) that I've ever done business with. This has been developed from years and years of them just doing EVERYTHING right! Seriously, I've bought hundreds of items from them, including a $4K dollar TV and they have never once failed to handle things perfectly including replacing said $4K TV when it had an issue.

It's possible B&N would deliver a similar experience but I don't have the same level of trust / experience with them.

I tend to stay pretty loyal to companies that do me right, and Amazon is one of them, so I got the Kindle as well, though sometimes I'll read a Kindle book on my iPad (since it knows where I left off.)

Amazon no longer sends me Christmas gifts, but I can deal with that.

#58 OFFLINE   klang

klang

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 09:03 AM

They also will usually let me know when authors I read have new titles coming out.

I do still enjoy wandering around B&N on occasion but I normally only but tech books there anymore.

#59 OFFLINE   wingrider01

wingrider01

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 11:16 AM

the kindle can do both, newpapers anbd magazines, think 2nd quarter they will have the library books available. I have the wifi+3g version - Amazon picks up the cost of the ATT 3G connection, have downloaded the sequel to a book while sitting on the beach in florida

#60 OFFLINE   paulman182

paulman182

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,835 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 06:05 AM

I must say, my wife's Kindle with 3G is really slick.

Few of the AT&T towers around here have 3G but even with old data technology it works great.

I can look out the window and see the AT&T tower, so signal is no problem.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...