Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Kindle or Nook?

• Please log in to reply
251 replies to this topic

#51 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,983 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 10:19 AM

That is a good point, e-ink doesn't do graphics near as well as an LCD.

I had been an Amazon customer for years so Kindle was the obvious choice for me.

E-ink does graphics very well. It's just not in color. AAMOF, the current crop of Kindles have a higher resolution than the iPad (167ppi vs 132ppi); which is one of the reasons it displays text so clearly and smoothly. Now I know there's more to displaying graphics than just resolution but the screen saver pictures on the Kindle are pretty incredible. I've even replaced some of them with B&W versions of my own pictures and they are awesome looking (I'm old school and I love B&W photography :D).

It is nearly incapable of handling video. It's supposed to be able to do basic animated graphics but why would you want to watch video on a B&W display anyway? :shrug:
However, the latest e-ink display has a resolution of ≈375ppi...again that's B&W, but nearly three times the resolution of the average LCD tablet. Even more than the high-res Samsung recently announced. Epson has prototype using the latest e-ink technology displaying an A4 sized (≈8.25x11.7) newspaper page that has a resolution of 3104x4128. :eek2:

The current color e-ink (E-ink Triton) looks great in direct sunlight but it's still a far cry from the color depth of LCD in all other situations. IIRC, because of it's high resolution it's used in mostly in small applications like watches and the such...I think.

For video or color the Kindle is the wrong choice. Then again, if I wanted a good color display for uses beyond just reading books I wouldn't go with the Nook either. I would get a full featured Android tablet or an iPad, but that's just me. :grin:

Mike

a group of unrelated kittens is called a kindle...a kindle of kittens. :D

µß
Since it costs 1.66¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 3.32¢ worth.  That 3.32¢ is my own and not the 3.32¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#52 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 06:35 PM

Lots of good information here... so much so, that it still hasnt given me a lot of decision making. I DO want to be able to subscribe to current newspapers like maybe USA today or NY Times. Will they both do that? I know I could do all this on my laptop, but it gets rather heavy using it to read for hours. I like color, and do not plan to read outside. I have no use for watching a movie on a little screen. Music isnt that important, I have a portable XM radio with 4GB of storage with all my CD's on it.

So magazines and books pretty much... So if Kindle can do magazines... its still a toss up.

And Mike, there wasnt any link to the "twice as many titles"...I was just reading the advertising on Amazon and B&N. B&N advertised lots of free books. Didnt see anything like that on Amazon, but might have missed it.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#53 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,516 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 18 May 2011 - 06:44 PM

I had been an Amazon customer for years so Kindle was the obvious choice for me.

I'm not sure what that has to do with anything.

I've been an Amazon seller and Amazon Prime Customer for many years. I've probably been in a Barnes & Noble twice in my life. I still chose the Nook over the Kindle (but have since sold it in anticipation of buying a tablet)

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#54 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,041 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 18 May 2011 - 06:51 PM

Lots of good information here... so much so, that it still hasnt given me a lot of decision making. I DO want to be able to subscribe to current newspapers like maybe USA today or NY Times. Will they both do that? I know I could do all this on my laptop, but it gets rather heavy using it to read for hours. I like color, and do not plan to read outside. I have no use for watching a movie on a little screen. Music isnt that important, I have a portable XM radio with 4GB of storage with all my CD's on it.

So magazines and books pretty much... So if Kindle can do magazines... its still a toss up.

And Mike, there wasnt any link to the "twice as many titles"...I was just reading the advertising on Amazon and B&N. B&N advertised lots of free books. Didnt see anything like that on Amazon, but might have missed it.

Kindle does do newspapers. I wonder how many of the free books B&N has are public domain classics. kindle has those too.

I would suggest just browsing the Kindle selection on Amazon. That's the best way to see what they offer and prices of content.

#55 OFFLINE   klang

klang

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,268 posts
  • LocationNear Houston, TX

Posted 18 May 2011 - 07:07 PM

I'm not sure what that has to do with anything.

I've been an Amazon seller and Amazon Prime Customer for many years. I've probably been in a Barnes & Noble twice in my life. I still chose the Nook over the Kindle (but have since sold it in anticipation of buying a tablet)

I've been buying books from them for, a decade or more maybe? They, their systems that is, make recommendations to me on other titles I might enjoy. Many of the suggestions I find very useful. The buying experience through their website is the same except I tell it which device, normally my Kindle, to deliver the content to. Made perfect sense to me.

#56 OFFLINE   bobukcat

bobukcat

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 07:48 AM

I've been buying books from them for, a decade or more maybe? They, their systems that is, make recommendations to me on other titles I might enjoy. Many of the suggestions I find very useful. The buying experience through their website is the same except I tell it which device, normally my Kindle, to deliver the content to. Made perfect sense to me.

Agreed, I also have an amazing level of trust in Amazon customer service - probably more-so than any other company (on-line or not) that I've ever done business with. This has been developed from years and years of them just doing EVERYTHING right! Seriously, I've bought hundreds of items from them, including a $4K dollar TV and they have never once failed to handle things perfectly including replacing said $4K TV when it had an issue.

It's possible B&N would deliver a similar experience but I don't have the same level of trust / experience with them.

#57 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,041 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 19 May 2011 - 08:56 AM

Agreed, I also have an amazing level of trust in Amazon customer service - probably more-so than any other company (on-line or not) that I've ever done business with. This has been developed from years and years of them just doing EVERYTHING right! Seriously, I've bought hundreds of items from them, including a $4K dollar TV and they have never once failed to handle things perfectly including replacing said $4K TV when it had an issue.

It's possible B&N would deliver a similar experience but I don't have the same level of trust / experience with them.

I tend to stay pretty loyal to companies that do me right, and Amazon is one of them, so I got the Kindle as well, though sometimes I'll read a Kindle book on my iPad (since it knows where I left off.)

Amazon no longer sends me Christmas gifts, but I can deal with that.

#58 OFFLINE   klang

klang

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 09:03 AM

They also will usually let me know when authors I read have new titles coming out.

I do still enjoy wandering around B&N on occasion but I normally only but tech books there anymore.

#59 OFFLINE   wingrider01

wingrider01

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 11:16 AM

the kindle can do both, newpapers anbd magazines, think 2nd quarter they will have the library books available. I have the wifi+3g version - Amazon picks up the cost of the ATT 3G connection, have downloaded the sequel to a book while sitting on the beach in florida

#60 OFFLINE   paulman182

paulman182

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,838 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 06:05 AM

I must say, my wife's Kindle with 3G is really slick.

Few of the AT&T towers around here have 3G but even with old data technology it works great.

I can look out the window and see the AT&T tower, so signal is no problem.

#61 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 06:33 AM

Barnes and Noble (the two here) are great. Very friendly, good cafe, nice atmosphere. FWIW, I went into Best Buy yesterday to get a CableModem, and they had a large NOOK COLOR display right inside the front door, so they are selling them also (at the exact same price). Got to play with one for about 30 minutes, and it looks great.

I bought a Nook subscription to Discover magazine last night, to test it out on my free "Nook for PC" app on the laptop, and it was very well done. I can see for the magazines, having color for the pictures accompanying the articles is going to be a big bonus.

I compared the text on the black and white unit with the color, and while it looked more like a book, the color was not difficult to read, nor did it strain my eyes any. Probably going to go with the Nook Color.

Thanks for all the input. PS, I love Amazon as well, great company. Do almost all my purchasing through them for household stuff I dont need immediately.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#62 OFFLINE   bobukcat

bobukcat

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 07:09 AM

I must say, my wife's Kindle with 3G is really slick.

Few of the AT&T towers around here have 3G but even with old data technology it works great.

I can look out the window and see the AT&T tower, so signal is no problem.

I think it's easily worth the $50 extra for the 3G version over the wi-fi only one unless you just never leave the house or work or Starbucks, etc. I can't count the number of times I've been in an airport and realized I was closer to the end of a book than I thought and needed a new one for the flight.

#63 OFFLINE   EdJ

EdJ

Legend

• Registered
  • 169 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 09:00 AM

Barnes and Noble (the two here) are great. Very friendly, good cafe, nice atmosphere. FWIW, I went into Best Buy yesterday to get a CableModem, and they had a large NOOK COLOR display right inside the front door, so they are selling them also (at the exact same price). Got to play with one for about 30 minutes, and it looks great.

I have a Kindle and read it a lot either outside at the beach or in the sunshine. If anything, the Kindle is easier to read in bright sun than in a shaded location. I have only seen the Nook inside the stores. How is the readability of the Nook in bright sunshine?

#64 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,516 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 20 May 2011 - 09:08 AM

I think it's easily worth the $50 extra for the 3G version over the wi-fi only one unless you just never leave the house or work or Starbucks, etc. I can't count the number of times I've been in an airport and realized I was closer to the end of a book than I thought and needed a new one for the flight.

When I had my Nook, I always had a dozen or more books waiting to be read, so 3G was never needed even though I travel extensively. My wife actually has the 3G Nook (because at the time it was the same price) and in the 6 months she's had it she's never used that feature, and she takes her Nook everywhere.

#65 OFFLINE   klang

klang

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 09:12 AM

If there is a Kindle 4 I probably won't bother with 3G. I usually have a dozen or more titles queued up. If I was doing subscriptions I would be more likely to use 3G.

#66 OFFLINE   EdJ

EdJ

Legend

• Registered
  • 169 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 01:29 PM

I have only seen the Nook inside the stores. How is the readability of the Nook in bright sunshine?

Anybody???

#67 OFFLINE   klang

klang

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 01:33 PM

Anybody???

Then non-color Nook should do fine outdoors. I don't know if the Nook has the same upgraded display as the Kindle 3 but even the older Kindle was fine outdoors.

#68 OFFLINE   bobukcat

bobukcat

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 01:33 PM

Anybody???

The regular Nook is e-ink so it will be excellent in bright sunlight, the Nook Color is LCD and will have the same issues as any other LCD in bright sunlight.

From my earlier post in this thread:

If you read outdoors very much either the Kindle or the Nook (not color) is the way to go. Kindle has a higher contrast ratio screen and the available cover with the built in light is super-sweet IMO. In addition, if you want to use either one in a pool, at the beach etc. I find the keys on the Kindle to be easier to find and easily actuate when the reader is in a plastic bag.

#69 OFFLINE   bobukcat

bobukcat

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 01:34 PM

When I had my Nook, I always had a dozen or more books waiting to be read, so 3G was never needed even though I travel extensively. My wife actually has the 3G Nook (because at the time it was the same price) and in the 6 months she's had it she's never used that feature, and she takes her Nook everywhere.

Wow, a dozen!!! You either like a lot more authors than I do or are just really, really well prepared for travel! The most I ever have queued up to read is 3 or 4, after that I'm looking for something new.

#70 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,516 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 20 May 2011 - 01:39 PM

Wow, a dozen!!! You either like a lot more authors than I do or are just really, really well prepared for travel! The most I ever have queued up to read is 3 or 4, after that I'm looking for something new.

Yes, some are authors I like, some are ones I'm not familiar with. I like mostly suspense and had never read any of Sue Grafton's books (i.e. A is for Alibi, etc.). I think there's 20 or so of those that I always had on hand (never did get to read them), plus all the Harry Potters and some books by the author of Dexter. In retrospect, I probably had 50+ books on there that I was planning on reading as well as 100 or so more that I'd read, but would gladly read again (i.e. All the Stephen King and John Grisham books).

#71 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 10:41 PM

I have a Kindle and read it a lot either outside at the beach or in the sunshine. If anything, the Kindle is easier to read in bright sun than in a shaded location. I have only seen the Nook inside the stores. How is the readability of the Nook in bright sunshine?

Dont know, when there is bright sunshine around here, its 105 degrees. I spend all my time inside :) I just bought one tonight. As soon as the sun comes out, Ill take it outside and let you know. Right now, we are in the middle of another 4-6" rainstorm.

#72 OFFLINE   klang

klang

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 07:32 AM

Anyone contemplating a new Nook should probably wait until Tuesday. Something new is coming.

#73 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 08:35 AM

To late. Guess I could always return this one to best buy. I really would expect anything significantly better would be more expensive though. I found it hard to spend $250 on a e-reader/mini-tablet. I already have a laptop. Will see what comes out. I like this one though. Played with it all night. Only thing I didnt like was it apparently has no way to add "Java" so certain websites Javascript apps wont run on it.

NatGeo Magazine looks fantastic on it though. Pictures are spectacular.

#74 OFFLINE   klang

klang

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 08:45 AM

To late. Guess I could always return this one to best buy. I really would expect anything significantly better would be more expensive though. I found it hard to spend $250 on a e-reader/mini-tablet. I already have a laptop. Will see what comes out. I like this one though. Played with it all night. Only thing I didnt like was it apparently has no way to add "Java" so certain websites Javascript apps wont run on it.

NatGeo Magazine looks fantastic on it though. Pictures are spectacular.

Sounds like you got the Nook Color. Enjoy!

I've read a couple predictions that this will be an upgrade to the black and white Nook adding the Pearl display to compete better with the Kindle 3. The current B&W Nook is almost 2 1/2 years old.

#75 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 12:31 PM

Sounds like you got the Nook Color. Enjoy!

I've read a couple predictions that this will be an upgrade to the black and white Nook adding the Pearl display to compete better with the Kindle 3. The current B&W Nook is almost 2 1/2 years old.

Yep, got the color. I am typing this reply with it. It has a really nice web browser. Dbstalk looks great.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...