Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Setup for RV and my H24 receiver?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   cmalberto

cmalberto

AllStar

• Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 08:24 PM

Since all my home equipment(except for the HR20) has been redone(ie...SiWM) my old RV setup needs some attention.

I have an older single LNB Sat but realize I can 't use it to get many channels anymore. So my question is what do I need for my RV setup now. I plan to use my H21(or is it a H24 - another question I have on another thread) in the RV since it travels easily. I am not interested in any of those on top of the roof systems. I want to be able move it where ever I can get to the sky.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

--Mickey

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Flugelman

Flugelman

Legend

• Registered
  • 138 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 10:15 PM

First off, do you have an HD TV set in the RV. (Depends on the age of the RV or if you've upgraded). If not, the single LNB will provide most channels you will need (101 Sat). I use the Slimline with SL3 SWM LNB connected thru the cable input in the electrical bay with my HR22. I have the PI powered by the block heater outlet in the same bay. I have an AB coax switch in the entertainment center so I can use the rooftop dish for short stops. (Again, SD only)

I am going to try to set up a Phase III dish with the SL3 LNB just to get to a smaller dish.

HR34-700

Vizio M321i-A2

Slimline SL3 SWM

#3 OFFLINE   barryb

barryb

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,935 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 10:38 PM

Some info here: http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=178397
Barry
MY SETUP
You can usually find me helping out in the Quiet Room on Friday chat night.

#4 OFFLINE   Tech_1438

Tech_1438

Legend

• Registered
  • 156 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 04:47 AM

Since all my home equipment(except for the HR20) has been redone(ie...SiWM) my old RV setup needs some attention.

I have an older single LNB Sat but realize I can 't use it to get many channels anymore. So my question is what do I need for my RV setup now. I plan to use my H21 in the RV since it travels easily. --Mickey

If you dont have an HDTV in the RV, or are fine with SD only, your current 18" dish will work fine, and receive nearly all of the SD channels in your package. You will need to redo the satellite setup and choose Dish Type: 01: Round (18"), and Switch Type: 02 Multiswitch.

Good Luck!!

#5 OFFLINE   cmalberto

cmalberto

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 04:18 PM

If you dont have an HDTV in the RV, or are fine with SD only, your current 18" dish will work fine, and receive nearly all of the SD channels in your package. You will need to redo the satellite setup and choose Dish Type: 01: Round (18"), and Switch Type: 02 Multiswitch.

Good Luck!!

I guess this really should have been my real question of whether my existing Single LNB dish will work. It sounds like there are still plenty of channels on the 101 and that my receiver will have no problem accessing them. This should still be sufficient.

I still have only an older pre-digital TV - I do have a converter box for my locals that I will have to share RCA plugs with but I am ok with that.

I do plan to replace one day with a small LCD but I haven't anything I like small enough - At this time I probably won't replace therefore I don't need HD .

Thanks for ALL of the comments and recommendations.

--Mickey

#6 OFFLINE   feeder22

feeder22

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 09:38 AM

What is the Phase III dish? Is it smaller and easier to move around?

#7 OFFLINE   DB Stalker

DB Stalker

Legend

• Registered
  • 131 posts
  • LocationTooele, UT

Posted 16 November 2013 - 10:06 AM

What is the Phase III dish? Is it smaller and easier to move around?

Its the 18x20 dish, or multisat. Its designed for the 101, 110, and 119. But some people put a SWM LNB into it and use it for camping etc because yes, it is smaller.

#)

#)

#8 OFFLINE   feeder22

feeder22

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 01:53 PM

Where can you find one And will these pick up local channels?

#9 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,129 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 16 November 2013 - 05:11 PM

Where can you find one And will these pick up local channels?

Solidsignal, eBay, Craigslist etc.  as long as you are not in an MPEG4 market and you are in or close to your spot beam, you will be able to pick up local channels

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#10 OFFLINE   feeder22

feeder22

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 05:42 PM

I guess I ask alot of questions but what is a MPEG4 market and do you just install the swm lnb on the phase III dish arm?  I am trying to get a smaller set-up for my rv.

#11 OFFLINE   feeder22

feeder22

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 06:02 PM

Also we live in sw Idaho and when we go to the Washington coast I can pickup our locals there with the regular slimline dish. It's just a pain to pack. If the phase III will work what do you set the receiver on as far as dish in the setup menu?

#12 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,129 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 06:11 PM

I guess I ask alot of questions but what is a MPEG4 market and do you just install the swm lnb on the phase III dish arm?  I am trying to get a smaller set-up for my rv.

MPEG4 market is a market that requires HD equipment to receive local channels because those channels are on the 99 or 103 satellites which only HD equipment can "see"

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#13 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,129 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 06:12 PM

Also we live in sw Idaho and when we go to the Washington coast I can pickup our locals there with the regular slimline dish. It's just a pain to pack. If the phase III will work what do you set the receiver on as far as dish in the setup menu?

the same as you would if you were using an Slimline 

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#14 OFFLINE   feeder22

feeder22

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 07:17 PM

Just one more, do you install the swm lnb on the phase III arm? I really appreciate your feed back. It helps to know there are good people left out there that will help stupid people like me. Thanks again.

#15 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,950 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 16 November 2013 - 07:59 PM

Just one more, do you install the swm lnb on the phase III arm? I really appreciate your feed back. It helps to know there are good people left out there that will help stupid people like me. Thanks again.

No;

It cannot be simply installed on a P.III dish, The SWiM LNB was not designed to fit it.

You're going to have to come up with an improvisation to install it on the LNB arm.

Here is the main thread on the subject beginning back in '08 if you are interested;

http://www.dbstalk.c...small slimline

Hope you are in a great mood for some reading, as its over 462 posts long :)

DIRECTV sub. since Sep. of '95

#16 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,129 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 09:19 PM

Hope you are in a great mood for some reading, as its over 462 posts long :)

All of this is not worth the trouble for what is gained....

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#17 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,849 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 16 November 2013 - 09:28 PM

I do not recommend trying to put the HD LNB assembly on a phase III dish - it is not as easy as it sounds, and it can be somewhat more difficult to align than a slimline. Where you are in the country plays a big part in that, and my experience with it is in the north-west. The Phase III dish is only slightly smaller than the slimline, so there is not that much gained in that regard.

This document provides a lot of information about different dish types and models: http://hr20.dbstalk....d Cable FAQ.pdf

#18 OFFLINE   JohnQ

JohnQ

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 81 posts
  • LocationFreshwater Bay Washington

Posted 23 November 2013 - 01:17 PM

Just an FYI (and I do NOT have a financial interest!!!!), I have found this website to be one of the BEST Price Points ( http://www.tvformyrv.com/ ), easiest to use customer centrix, i.e., pleasure to do business with.  I bought my Winegard Trav'ler Slimline 3 from them cheaper with free shipping ($350+++) than any of the Fleabayers/Camping World/etc. Highly recommend them.

Owned DTV in Motorhome - HR20-700, HR20-100, H25-700 with a Winegard SlimLine 3 Trav'ler (SWM) Antenna
Owned DTV in the Sticks & Bricks - H25-700, HR24-100, & HR24-500
Lease D-12-100

spam firewall