Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Questions about owning the receiver and local channel package . . .

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   brant

brant

Icon

• Registered
  • 750 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 05:17 PM

I'm moving in 4wks to an area that has no OTA coverage, which is all we've been using for a year or so.

Looks like we'll be crawling back to pay-tv . . . :(

anyhow, if you own the receiver does dish network still charge a fee for having additional receivers? $7/mo is a little ridiculous for a single HD receiver when I can buy the things for just over $100/ea.

Also, is there a locals only package, and if so, what does it cost?

If not I think I'll just get the basic dish america package. Does that $35/mo include locals?

thanks

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,715 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 01 August 2010 - 06:03 PM

Doesn't matter whether you own or lease your receivers - the most sophiticated receiver on your account is included, then you get charged for each additional receiver (whether it is owned or leased, the fee is the same - it's just called different things).

If you're looking to save money - I'd get a dual tuner receiver (either the VIP222 or VIP222K) or one of the dual tuner / dual output HD DVRs. That way, the receiver is one box that can serve 2 (or shared programming on the others) locations.

I'm not sure Dish still offers a locals only package, But the Basic Dish America / AT120 do include your locals as well.
You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

#3 OFFLINE   brant

brant

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 750 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 06:42 PM

well that stinks.

wasn't going to do dual-tuner boxes because they'll be fed into the HTPC via hd-pvrs. they can only control IR boxes, and tuner #2 is UHF controlled.

Not doing DVR's either because i have a couple TB's of HDD space, and about to add more.

So to clarify; whether I lease or buy the ViP211k's, I'll still pay $7/mo regardless? Was looking to do 3 tuners but I hate the idea of paying another $14/mo. Stinks that the neighborhood doesn't have cable or we could solve this w/ a cablecard tuner.

#4 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,715 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 01 August 2010 - 07:30 PM

So to clarify; whether I lease or buy the ViP211k's, I'll still pay $7/mo regardless? Was looking to do 3 tuners but I hate the idea of paying another $14/mo. Stinks that the neighborhood doesn't have cable or we could solve this w/ a cablecard tuner.

Correct about the $7 per receiver.

Dish does offer a kit to do what you want about the IR remote of tuner 2.
You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

#5 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 09:15 PM

So to clarify; whether I lease or buy the ViP211k's, I'll still pay $7/mo regardless?

DirecTV and Dish Network have ALWAYS charged a fee to mirror your programming to additional receivers, and this is true regardless of whether you own or lease the receiver. It is a programming fee, not a receiver fee, despite how they describe it.

Cable also charges per box...

#6 OFFLINE   pdh0490

pdh0490

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 09:45 PM

i bet if u put am outside over the air u can pick up something go to tvfool.com and see i would befor i pay for tv why pay when u can get it for free

#7 OFFLINE   brant

brant

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 750 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 10:25 PM

i bet if u put am outside over the air u can pick up something go to tvfool.com and see i would befor i pay for tv why pay when u can get it for free

i've already done that; which is how i know there is no OTA coverage.

the per tuner programming fee seems kinda bogus. you can hookup a multi-tuner cablecard system and not pay additional fees for each tuner. with cable that doesn't require a box you can split it as many ways possible and not pay a fee for each tuner.

#8 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,299 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 04:29 AM

the per tuner programming fee seems kinda bogus. you can hookup a multi-tuner cablecard system and not pay additional fees for each tuner. with cable that doesn't require a box you can split it as many ways possible and not pay a fee for each tuner.

Then your best bet is cable. If you can't get cable then you'll just have to settle for what you can get ... satellite that charges per tuner/output.

#9 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 05:38 AM

i've already done that; which is how i know there is no OTA coverage.

Around here that's not true. I know Comcast charges at least $3 a month per Cablecard, if not $5.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#10 OFFLINE   slt101

slt101

AllStar

• Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 12:05 PM

You can get the locals only thru Dish for $9.99 per month for one receiver.

Edited by slt101, 12 August 2010 - 01:44 PM.

#11 OFFLINE   brant

brant

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 750 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 04:36 PM

Around here that's not true. I know Comcast charges at least $3 a month per Cablecard, if not $5.

right, but one cablecard can be connected to multiple receivers.

Then your best bet is cable. If you can't get cable then you'll just have to settle for what you can get ... satellite that charges per tuner/output.

Yeh I know. It was just a general gripe. I have no problem with people making money, but one guy said they just change the name of the charge whether you lease or own.

Looking into some other options right now; we'll see what happens.

#12 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 05:34 PM

right, but one cablecard can be connected to multiple receivers.

I was under the impression you needed one cablecard per independant tuner. At least, the Tivo HD-XL-OMG has two slots in it.

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#13 OFFLINE   brant

brant

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 750 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 06:10 PM

I was under the impression you needed one cablecard per independant tuner. At least, the Tivo HD-XL-OMG has two slots in it.

no. and i meant tuners the first time; not sure why i said 'receivers'.

ceton has a product coming out "soon" that has 4 encrypted qam tuners using one cablecard in a PCI-E configuration.

#14 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 09:59 PM

no. and i meant tuners the first time; not sure why i said 'receivers'.

ceton has a product coming out "soon" that has 4 encrypted qam tuners using one cablecard in a PCI-E configuration.

Right but that's not something you can go ahead and slot into a Tivo or other Cablecard-compatible enduser device. That's for a PC.

Everything I'm reading about multistream cablecards is that they're not backwards compatible with the original Cablecard spec; to those devices they will only be single stream.

After a bit of Googling, the only thing I can find is that Ceton one that's still marked "Real Soon Now in a PC Near You."

#15 OFFLINE   brant

brant

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 750 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 04:46 PM

Right but that's not something you can go ahead and slot into a Tivo or other Cablecard-compatible enduser device. That's for a PC.

Everything I'm reading about multistream cablecards is that they're not backwards compatible with the original Cablecard spec; to those devices they will only be single stream.

After a bit of Googling, the only thing I can find is that Ceton one that's still marked "Real Soon Now in a PC Near You."

not sure i understand what you mean in the first line; they are cablelabs certified devices. they use the same cablecard that tivo uses, etc. . .

dual-tuner cablecard devices for the PC already exist, and they use one cablecard.

silicondust is releasing a 3-tuner cablecard device, and i believe hauppauge is about to release a tuner also.

#16 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,299 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 06:01 PM

not sure i understand what you mean in the first line; they are cablelabs certified devices. they use the same cablecard that tivo uses, etc. . .

dual-tuner cablecard devices for the PC already exist, and they use one cablecard.

silicondust is releasing a 3-tuner cablecard device, and i believe hauppauge is about to release a tuner also.

Can you open up a Tivo and slot in one of these new multi-tuner per cablecard tuner cards?

I believe that was the point that he was making. A new design Tivo could be built with a newer design tuner card but once it's built the unit that tuner card isn't changing. If you are "building your own Tivo" on a PC and can swap out tuner cards at will then new design tuner cards would help. But an existing Tivo that requires one cable card per tuner still requires one cable card per tuner - with all the fees attached.

#17 OFFLINE   pdh0490

pdh0490

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 06:25 PM

well if u get cable u dont need a box all u have to do is hook up the wire and ur good to go and u want have to pay the fee per a box just one fee and it all works out

#18 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 06:29 PM

Can you open up a Tivo and slot in one of these new multi-tuner per cablecard tuner cards?

I believe that was the point that he was making. A new design Tivo could be built with a newer design tuner card but once it's built the unit that tuner card isn't changing. If you are "building your own Tivo" on a PC and can swap out tuner cards at will then new design tuner cards would help. But an existing Tivo that requires one cable card per tuner still requires one cable card per tuner - with all the fees attached.

Exactly. For standard STB type devices, tuners require Cablecards in a 1:1 ratio.

#19 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 04 August 2010 - 06:06 AM

well if u get cable u dont need a box all u have to do is hook up the wire and ur good to go and u want have to pay the fee per a box just one fee and it all works out

If you want anything other than basic channels you are almost required to have a some type of cable box now as most of the channels cannot be received by a tv due to encryption, so what you are referring to really isnt an option anymore.

#20 OFFLINE   brant

brant

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 750 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 05:24 PM

Exactly. For standard STB type devices, tuners require Cablecards in a 1:1 ratio.

ah i gotcha.

just wasn't catching on for some reason. :grin:

spam firewall