Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Replacing Comcast with DirecTV & also some prior DirecTV wiring already present

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   tseverson

tseverson

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 06:34 PM

I am installing DirecTV service on 080310 in my home (I live in a suburb of Minneapolis, MN).

I am switching from Comcast to DirecTV for TV service but I am keeping Comcast as my Internet provider (and also keeping Comcast Basic cable TV service). I live in a location with no DSL access.

I am keeping Comcast cable TV (downgrading to their lowest Basic cable TV service) since it is $10 cheaper by the month to continue to have Comcast Basic cable TV bundled with my Comcast Internet service than to entirely drop Comcast cable TV and keep only Comcast Internet Service.

Three years ago a renter (now gone) in my basement installed DirecTV for his own use and I used Comcast cable TV upstairs (no second floor in the house). At that time the DirecTV installer found only 1 location on my heavily wooded lot where he could place the dish. This location worked fine and the renter had no problem with DirecTV reception.

I looked at the coaxial cabling from the dish location to my house (the cable runs through the rafters of my garage. The wiring contained the following markings on it :

“Perfect Vision RG-6 75 ohm 3Ghz 18Awg 75 C CATV/CL2 E232510”

and a few other markings. The dish end (out by the street on a short pole) of the coaxial cable had two coaxial cable connectors on it and there were also two coaxial cable connectors about 70 ft away where the cable ended in my garage (the cable ended next to a wall between the garage and house). Another coaxial cable was protruding out a wall from the house into garage (also with 2 coaxial cable connectors on the protruding end). This was the point at which the coaxial cable from the dish connected to the coaxial cable protruding from my house.

Can this coaxial cabling be used again or should it be replaced? The dish itself was the 2007-2008 model (perfect circle dish) with a missing LNB. I am thinking I will get a new dish with the installation.

The installer for the renter wired two rooms in the basement for DirecTV. The renter did not have any HDTVs at that time. How much of the work accomplished when my renter installed DirecTV can I now use when I get DirecTV installed? I have a suspended ceiling in the basement so running cable in the ceiling is not a problem.

I now have 2 HDTVs and am ordering HD service for 2 upstairs rooms (1 HD DVR receiver and 1 HD receiver). I am also installing 2 standard receivers in another two rooms in the house. The package I purchased from DirecTV included free installation in 4 rooms.

Can I install DirecTV in 4 rooms upstairs using the 4 receivers I will obtain on 080310 and then move one or two of the standard receivers downstairs after installation and use the DirecTV wiring already present in the basement?

Any comments or opinions on my upcoming installation are appreciated.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 09:24 PM

Likely the cabling from the dish to the house can be reused. The dish will have to be replaced, and if the old dish is on a pole mount, a new one with a 2" outer-diameter pole will need to be installed (expect to pay for this).

You won't be able to use the existing cable in your house since you are keeping Comcast (despite your misleading subject line, which says you are REPLACING Comcast, which isn't the case), so the installer will need to run new cables for the sat service, generally one cable per receiver, since you'll get a SWM system. The standard (free) install means running the cables on the outside of the house and drilling in through an outside wall to bring the cable in. An alternate possibility would be drilling through the floor into the basement and bringing cables up that way. Wall fishing (running cables inside the walls) is a custom fee.

Good luck!

#3 OFFLINE   tseverson

tseverson

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 08:30 AM

Likely the cabling from the dish to the house can be reused. The dish will have to be replaced, and if the old dish is on a pole mount, a new one with a 2" outer-diameter pole will need to be installed (expect to pay for this).

You won't be able to use the existing cable in your house since you are keeping Comcast (despite your misleading subject line, which says you are REPLACING Comcast, which isn't the case), so the installer will need to run new cables for the sat service, generally one cable per receiver, since you'll get a SWM system. The standard (free) install means running the cables on the outside of the house and drilling in through an outside wall to bring the cable in. An alternate possibility would be drilling through the floor into the basement and bringing cables up that way. Wall fishing (running cables inside the walls) is a custom fee.

Good luck!

Thanks for your input.

I am "keeping Comcast" cable TV for billing purposes only (I save $10 per month on my Comcast bill by keeping Comcast Basic TV service even if I don't use it). I do not intend to keep any TV in the house hooked up to Comcast.

Since no TV has to be hooked up to Comcast cable, will I have to run 4 new cables (1 cable per receiver for the sat service)?

Thanks for any response.

#4 OFFLINE   dplantz

dplantz

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 07:56 PM

With 4 receivers you will get a swm install. Swm is single wire multiswitch. I wire comes from the dish into the house and then goes to splitter with one feed to each receiver. This makes for a much easier to install. The splitter is a special high frequency type. You can also have mav installed which is multi room viewing. You can then watch whats on your dvr on your non dvr hd receiver. This is an 99 dollar cost for the deca moduels which allow the receivers to network with each other to share recordings. This comes with a 3 dollar charge if you want it, I love the feature. The installer will determine if they can re-use the coax or not. Also you will need to keep the comcast line by itself for your basic video and modem service. Good luck

Protected By... spam firewall...And...