Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Directv DECA DOD NETWORK PROBLEM

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   epifano83

epifano83

Mentor

• Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 09:13 PM

Ok here's my problem, on 07/27/2010 I had a tech roll out and install MRV upgrade plus DOD through the deca to my network, I currently have HR24-100, HR23-100, HR22-100.
My current broadband provider is WB and I have that hooked up to my netgear WPN824 wireless router.
Well anyway when my DECA adapter is connected to my home network after 3hrs my router will hang if i put any of my wireless devices in standby and try to bring them back up on the network I cant get connected unless if I reboot the router. But if I disconnect my deca adapter it will not hang any more after I reboot the router of course.
I tried putting a fixed ip address on each receiver but no luck, I also tried messing with some other settings but no luck on that either.
Has anyone ran into any of the same issues? How did you resolve it?
Or is there any suggestions or tips it would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you all for your time!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,912 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 01 August 2010 - 09:28 PM

What you are describing sounds suspiciously similar to what happens when you use both Ethernet ports on the HD DVR (those that have 2 ports).

You should have one DECA module that is connected to your SWiM network (the coax cable) and your your router with a power insert connected to the tail.

Then you should have one DECA module for the HR22-100 and the thing you call an HR23-100 (that model doesn't exist). The Ethernet cable from that DECA will attach to the same DVR and there should be NO OTHER Ethernet cable connected to those boxes.

If all of that is correct, then you may have some other problem.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#3 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,912 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 01 August 2010 - 09:29 PM

A good test is to run the system test on each machine as well to see if any problem is detected. Press & hold {INFO} and when the menu appears, select "run system test"
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#4 OFFLINE   epifano83

epifano83

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 09:39 PM

I tried the system test last night but everything came back as normal, still scratching my head!

#5 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,637 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 09:49 PM

Don't know enough about your router to be of much good, "but" this does sound like a router setting issue. It may be happening now because you've added all of your receivers and this [the number of devices] is what's causing this.
What Doug described about connection to the wrong port on the receiver only did this [rebooting router required] when the receiver would stop responding during a download of firmware. Simple reboots didn't trigger this.
Instead of using fixed IPs in the receivers, can you reserve IPs by MAC address in the router? I have done this [though not doing it now] and this keeps the IPs fixed, but the receivers are all set to auto [DHCP]. Just some thoughts.
A.K.A VOS

#6 OFFLINE   epifano83

epifano83

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 09:17 AM

What you are describing sounds suspiciously similar to what happens when you use both Ethernet ports on the HD DVR (those that have 2 ports).

You should have one DECA module that is connected to your SWiM network (the coax cable) and your your router with a power insert connected to the tail.

Then you should have one DECA module for the HR22-100 and the thing you call an HR23-100 (that model doesn't exist). The Ethernet cable from that DECA will attach to the same DVR and there should be NO OTHER Ethernet cable connected to those boxes.

Opps that would be a Typo its not a HR23-100 it is a HR23-700. Thank you for pointing that out!

#7 OFFLINE   epifano83

epifano83

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 09:20 AM

I changed my IP for the receivers in my router last night and it seems to be working! FINGERS CROSSED!
I will keep you all updated if it's still working when I get home for launch, if it is I'am assuming I should not see no more problems with this issue.
It was driving my wife up the wall to have to constintly reboot! LOL!!!

Thanks for your inpute :) :)

#8 OFFLINE   epifano83

epifano83

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 12:04 PM

No dice I had to reboot the router :(

#9 OFFLINE   epifano83

epifano83

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 05:22 PM

what kind of router has everyone been using for this service? What do you have connected and how has it worked out for you?

#10 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,827 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 05:24 PM

To answer your question, I'm using a Linksys WRT310 running DDWRT.

I think Doug Brott was on to something in post #2. Could you describe the way all of your receivers are connected to the internet? I think there's something there that's not wired right.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#11 OFFLINE   epifano83

epifano83

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 05:48 PM

The way as he described how it should be hooked up is the way I have it wired, I just wish I knew what setting is off or if I replace the router it would work for sure!:confused:

#12 OFFLINE   Yog-Sothoth

Yog-Sothoth

Legend

• Registered
  • 102 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 01:05 AM

Are you running the latest firmware for the router?
HR21-700 | HR23-700 (2) | H24-700
DECA MRV setup, including one module connected to a WAP/switch (for PS3 and Xbox 360) and another connected directly to a Slingbox

#13 OFFLINE   epifano83

epifano83

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 01:12 AM

I downloaded the latest version yesterday afternoon, still nothing on that.

#14 OFFLINE   armchair

armchair

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 02:32 AM

The way as he described how it should be hooked up is the way I have it wired, I just wish I knew what setting is off or if I replace the router it would work for sure!:confused:

There was another poster that said he enabled mulicast packets and it fixed a problem with UPL not updating. Your problem sounds more serious.

Do you have a network switch placed in front of your router? If you'll notice the top DECA in Doug's description shows the broadband DECA connected to a network switch but the implied router is missing. http://www.dbstalk.c...595#post2472595

Edited by armchair, 03 August 2010 - 02:55 AM.

#15 OFFLINE   epifano83

epifano83

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 12:34 AM

I finally corrected the problem by replacing the unit with a new wireless router and every thing has been working great since then :)

#16 OFFLINE   901racer

901racer

Mentor

• Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 07:50 AM

I have three wireless routers/bridges for coverage in my home. Linksys E4200 is the main router/wireless and is the one handling DHCP and connection to my cable modem.

WRT160N and WRT610N bridged to the E4200. This is for Wireless coverage.

I am running my BB Decca connection to the WRT160N which is bridged to the E4200 with no problems.

I did see the receivers drop from the deca cloud when using MRV and DHCP addressing for D* equipment. Fixed IP address for everything D* has fixed any problems I had. These network devices from d* are the only ones I have seen that have DHCP lease problems. I believe it to be a problem with the Deca network or the revievers handling of DCP leases.

If you have another router or bridge laying around you might want to try that to isolate the problem. Just FYI, I tried a WNDR3700V2, but because of general firmware issue (slowdowns, hangs) had to return it and move to the the E3200 which is working very well.

Edited by 901racer, 27 February 2011 - 09:25 AM.

#17 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,637 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 08:40 AM

I believe it to be a problem with the Deca network or the revievers handling of DHCP leases.

While it can sure look like this, I think there is a bit more to it, since some routers and DECA play very well together with DHCP.
"Generally" wireless routers and fairly active wireless networks seem to have more problems than non wireless routers.
I think we might see a new BB DECA coming out that may address this better.
A.K.A VOS

#18 OFFLINE   901racer

901racer

Mentor

• Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 11:05 AM

VOS, I thought the BB Deca was just a layer 2 connection device ethernet<->COAX.

I have run ethernet<->BB Deca<->COAX<->BB Deca<->ethernet as a bridge instead of a hardwire or PoE device and works really well without any DHCP lease issues on either end with a multitude of wireless and wired devices.

Only issues I have seen is with the D* equipment Deca network. I believe it is something in the SWiM network or the equipments(receiver) Deca or networking firmware bug. I would assume the devices firmware is the stack requesting the DHCP lease and respond to the the DHCP server on the network.

Has anyone done a TCPDump trace of this problem to understand who may not be requesting lease extensions or not responding?

I can do this, but would rather not if the real :rolleyes: problem is already known and a real fix is in the works.

Just a thought...

#19 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,637 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 11:32 AM

VOS, I thought the BB Deca was just a layer 2 connection device ethernet<->COAX.

I have run ethernet<->BB Deca<->COAX<->BB Deca<->ethernet as a bridge instead of a hardwire or PoE device and works really well without any DHCP lease issues on either end with a multitude of wireless and wired devices.

Only issues I have seen is with the D* equipment Deca network. I believe it is something in the SWiM network or the equipments(receiver) Deca or networking firmware bug. I would assume the devices firmware is the stack requesting the DHCP lease and respond to the the DHCP server on the network.

Has anyone done a TCPDump trace of this problem to understand who may not be requesting lease extensions or not responding?

I can do this, but would rather not if the real :rolleyes: problem is already known and a real fix is in the works.

Just a thought...

Engineering has done this. It has nothing to do with the SWiM, since there is no interaction between SWiM & DECA.
This seems to have more to do with MRV and "something" as to requests/polling the network and responses from the router. "The lease" seems to always get renewed, but some aspect of it doesn't.
This level of networking is a bit over my head as I'm an RF guy.
The DECA cloud basically works like a [large] switch and on my system has been very stable "until" I activated the wireless part of my router. Then I got to see what many others had been posting and changing over to static IPs, outside of the DHCP pool, stabilized everything again.
I can't really go into what I know, but will say there are "things in the works", that should help resolve these issues.
Until then though, static IPs for those with problems should help and with the few that it hasn't, using an old router connected to the wireless router has helped keep the receivers working for MRV while having all the wireless devices working too.
A.K.A VOS

#20 OFFLINE   901racer

901racer

Mentor

• Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 12:50 PM

Engineering has done this. It has nothing to do with the SWiM, since there is no interaction between SWiM & DECA.
This seems to have more to do with MRV and "something" as to requests/polling the network and responses from the router. "The lease" seems to always get renewed, but some aspect of it doesn't.
This level of networking is a bit over my head as I'm an RF guy.
The DECA cloud basically works like a [large] switch and on my system has been very stable "until" I activated the wireless part of my router. Then I got to see what many others had been posting and changing over to static IPs, outside of the DHCP pool, stabilized everything again.
I can't really go into what I know, but will say there are "things in the works", that should help resolve these issues.
Until then though, static IPs for those with problems should help and with the few that it hasn't, using an old router connected to the wireless router has helped keep the receivers working for MRV while having all the wireless devices working too.

Good glad they know what is going on and sounds like this will resolve itself over time.

Most often in real world networking, implementing something to the specification and what has to be done in the real world is completely something else. Usually a compromise that really does not follow the specification.

spam firewall