Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Directv DECA DOD NETWORK PROBLEM

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   epifano83

epifano83

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 03:21 PM

You got to love new toys they always have their bugs to work out, but I sure am glade to here this is being resolved :)
(1) ODU AU9+SWM (1) DIRECTV SWS-8 Satellite 8-Way Wide Band MRV Compatible Splitter (2 -2150 MHz)(2)R16-500 (1)R16-300 (1)HR23-700 + DECA(1)HR22-100 + DECA (1)Deca BB (1) H24-100

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,599 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 27 February 2011 - 03:43 PM

The DECA cloud basically works like a [large] switch and on my system has been very stable "until" I activated the wireless part of my router. Then I got to see what many others had been posting and changing over to static IPs, outside of the DHCP pool, stabilized everything again.

DECA is a hub, not a switch. It has few, if any of the features that distinguish a switch from a hub. It is the switch that you plug your Broadband DECA into that lends its switch-like functionality to DECA.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#23 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,733 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 04:57 PM

DECA is a hub, not a switch. It has few, if any of the features that distinguish a switch from a hub. It is the switch that you plug your Broadband DECA into that lends its switch-like functionality to DECA.

Once again there is basset barf here.

• you don't know how this works
  • you don't have any experience with DECA
  • you have zero contact/exchange with the engineers developing DECA
  • DECA works quite well with multiple MRV streams and a hub doesn't
  • frankly you're talking out your.....
"If I remember correctly" a hub merely blasts out the same packets to all ports. So every device receives the same traffic, whether it wanted/needed it or not.
DECA doesn't. So right there you've spouted out your misinformed garbage [again].

Now for the "I don't know how many times", I've asked not to reply to ANY of my posts, so when will you get this through your head?

You are back to my ignore list and [again] DO NOT exist.

Edited by veryoldschool, 27 February 2011 - 05:05 PM.

A.K.A VOS

#24 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,917 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 27 February 2011 - 05:23 PM

DECA is really a different beast .. It's neither a switch nor a hub. It's probably most like token ring, but even that's not really correct. As far as communication goes, it's a point-to-point style of communication - that is more switch-like. The biggest issue with DECA is that you can only have 16 devices total .. BUT .. like a switch, you get full bandwidth between point a and point b. Hubs can't guarantee the bandwidth because all devices can chatter at the same time. DECA has assigned time slots for chattering.

clearly though DECA is not designed to be a general purpose network device .. Although if all you have is coax between two locations .. It could do a nice job of linking the two.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#25 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,599 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 28 February 2011 - 01:49 AM

Perhaps someone could ask VOS how, in a DECA system that depends on the RF signal getting to every node in the network, absolutely every node doesn't see the radio signal of every transaction and have to decide whether it is meant for its host receiver.

That collisions are largely avoided does not make for a switch. A switch can provide full-bandwidth (at the per port speed) simultaneous bidirectional access between n/2 pairs of nodes (n = number of ports).

DECA supports just one packet at any time over the entire cloud. That DECA offers supervision and packet compression (the combining of small packets into a larger packet to reduce packeting overhead) makes it better than a hub but far from the functionality and potential of a switch.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#26 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,917 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 28 February 2011 - 10:45 AM

Exactly how does plugging DECA into a router cause DECA to suddenly have switch-like characteristics when (according to you) it didn't have these characteristics prior to being plugged into the router? DECA doesn't magically become something else just because you've connected an Ethernet cable to a router.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#27 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,599 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 02 March 2011 - 12:21 AM

Exactly how does plugging DECA into a router cause DECA to suddenly have switch-like characteristics when (according to you) it didn't have these characteristics prior to being plugged into the router? DECA doesn't magically become something else just because you've connected an Ethernet cable to a router.

It doesn't impart switch-like behavior inside the cloud. Hooking up a switch prevents normal LAN traffic not destined for the cloud from reaching the cloud. It can also cut down on traffic leaving the cloud that doesn't need to.

#28 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,253 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 02 March 2011 - 07:01 AM

Hooking up a switch prevents normal LAN traffic not destined for the cloud from reaching the cloud. It can also cut down on traffic leaving the cloud that doesn't need to.

And the Broadband DECA does just that. That is the whole point of creating the DECA cloud: traffic belonging on the cloud stays in the cloud while traffic not for the cloud stays off the cloud. Hence, the reason why you are not supposed to set it up so that regular home network traffic sent through the cloud (the idea of hooking up other devices to the cloud).

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

spam firewall