Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Moving to an MDU with a central dish - nightmare stories about the provider (rut roh)

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Jschmuck2

Jschmuck2

Mentor

• Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 09:59 PM

Good times!

I'm moving into a building with a central dish on the roof for every unit in the complex. Seemingly, the company that manages the dish, wiring and other equipment in the building is completely and utterly incompetent. See here:

http://www.consolidatedsmart.com/
http://www.yelp.com/...systems-gardena
http://www.ripoffrep...s-con-7c5e2.htm

31 one star Yelp reviews as well as a general raking over the internet coals doesn't make me particularly confident in handing them my credit card number. They rent washing machines, for God's sake.

This may mean that I'm going to have to break my contract with D* (after just a few months) and eat the ETF. Needless to say, I'm not happy about this prospect. I really enjoy my D* and would prefer to keep it if I can.

I don't know a whole lot about the system in the building (yet) but there are a couple of dishes on the roof; one of them looks like an older dish and the other is a slimline. That's all I've got to go on right now.

What are your thoughts? Think I could get a local (socal) installer to come out and do things the right way? Suck it up and pay the ETF?

Edited by Jschmuck2, 02 August 2010 - 09:31 AM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   raoul5788

raoul5788

• Registered
  • 1,481 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 06:40 AM

Good times!

I'm moving into a building with a central dish on the roof for every unit in the complex. Seemingly, the company that manages the dish, wiring and other equipment in the building is completely and utterly incompetent. See here:

http://www.consolidatedsmart.com/
http://www.yelp.com/...systems-gardena
http://www.ripoffrep...s-con-7c5e2.htm

31 one star Yelp reviews as well as a general raking over the internet coals doesn't make me particularly confident in handing them my credit card number. The rent washing machines, for God's sake.

This may mean that I'm going to have to break my contract with D* (after just a few months) and eat the ETF. Needless to say, I'm not happy about this prospect. I really enjoy my D* and would prefer to keep it if I can.

I don't know a whole lot about the system in the building (yet) but there are a couple of dishes on the roof; one of them looks like an older dish and the other is a slimline. That's all I've got to go on right now.

What are your thoughts? Think I could get a local (socal) installer to come out and do things the right way? Suck it up and pay the ETF?

My thoughts are if this company is so bad, and it appears they are, why not move somewhere else where you do not have to deal with them?

#3 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 07:19 AM

Clearly, this company has some issues, and I'm in NO way excusing those, but many of the complaints stem from the fact that MDU setups are simply not as flexible as your own home setup, and thus some features and services are not available. That is true of many aspects of living in an apartment vs. your own home, and expectations need to be adjusted.

But as the previous poster noted, you could avoid all this by choosing another apartment. And let the apartment manager know why you did so - that is the kind of feedback that gets the apartment management to get the company (CSS in this case) in gear.

#4 OFFLINE   Jschmuck2

Jschmuck2

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 09:26 AM

All sound ideas - but let's assume, again in theory, that I'm moving to this apartment building because *I* am, in fact, becoming the manager there.

What say you now?

(not someone with the ability to swap out satellite providers, sadly)

#5 OFFLINE   georule

georule

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,585 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 09:55 AM

All sound ideas - but let's assume, again in theory, that I'm moving to this apartment building because *I* am, in fact, becoming the manager there.

What say you now?

I'd say the company doesn't necessarily know you don't have that power. Glower. Rattle sabers. Etc. Unless, of course, the guy who runs that company is the brother-in-law/cousin/golf buddy of the guy who owns the building you're managing (and he might be --that could be how he keeps the contract when his service sucks), the chances are pretty decent that company won't know you're bluffing.

And in fact, if you get interactive with them then you build the case to take to your bosses to get rid of these jerks if they don't shape up. If nothing else, that might get you enough respect/fear from them that they are sure to handle *your* account with care.

"Power" doesn't actually come from an org chart. Knowing the org chart is helpful, of course, but it is only a start. Sometimes this fact work for you, and sometimes against you.

Edited by georule, 02 August 2010 - 10:09 AM.

#6 OFFLINE   -Draino-

-Draino-

Godfather

• Registered
  • 348 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 02 August 2010 - 10:25 AM

Try to explain that you are moving and DirecTV is not available where you are going. I think they will waive the ETF

Samsung 55" LED 240Hz HDTV 1080P UN55B8000
(1) HD DVR HR34-700 - 0x808
(1) HD DVR HR24-500 - 
(1) HD DVR HR22-100
(3) HD H24-100

Dell Studio XPS 8300 - Intel Core i7 2600 3.40GHz
Memory: 16GB Dual-Channel
Hard Drive: (2) 500GB RAID 0 (Not Used) 1 Corsair SSD 240GB
Video: Nvidia GeForce GTS 450 1.5GB
27" Viewsonic VX2753MH-LED Digital HDMI
Win7U x64

#7 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 11:37 AM

Try to explain that you are moving and DirecTV is not available where you are going. I think they will waive the ETF

No, it doesn't work that way. The only ways out of an ETF are:

- a tech reporting NLOS at your new location.
- a copy of your military orders to deploy outside of the US.

Any other reason, and you are responsible for the ETF.

#8 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 01:35 PM

Split and run your own lines up to the dish. If they are that bad they probably wouldn't even notice! :D
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased
Owned H25-700 and H24-700 off and packed for the move.

DIRECTV subscriber since Nov. 2009

#9 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,566 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 03:11 PM

What say you now?

As the manager, I'm sure you could put pressure on them to get into the 21st century. Do what georule suggested as well. Poll the tenants and find out what their complaints are. Ask the unhappy tenants to write letters to your local rag. Some tenants might not know that they aren't getting what they could.
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#10 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 06:58 PM

No, it doesn't work that way. The only ways out of an ETF are:

- a tech reporting NLOS at your new location.
- a copy of your military orders to deploy outside of the US.

Any other reason, and you are responsible for the ETF.

You forgot DEATH (but only if you send the death notice or some ashes to DirecTV).

Protected By... spam firewall...And...