Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

On which channels do you have audio dropouts?

• Please log in to reply
926 replies to this topic

#181 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 41,761 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 07:54 AM

Warehouse 13 SYFY
White collar USA
A.K.A VOS

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#182 OFFLINE   DarinC

DarinC

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,183 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 10:02 AM

I'm not much help, because as strange as it seems, I really don't watch that much TV (and much of what I do watch is broadcast TV, which I don't typically watch via DirecTV). But I did watch some Science Channel HD last night, and noticed them. Not NEARLY as bad as they were like a year ago. These were separated by minutes, rather than seconds.
Friends don't let friends buy PPV.

#183 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,856 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 11 August 2010 - 03:52 PM

Recordings (not live):

Two most recent episodes on USA network of the following:

White Collar
NCIS re-runs
Covert Affairs
Burn Notice
Royal Pains

2 to 4 per hour, very predictable. Never less than 2, typically up to 4 per hour on every one of these programs. Duration: a couple words or so.

On the following TNT programs:

Glades
Memphis Beat
The Closer

No dropouts during all 3 episodes.

Lie to Me: Fox Network

1 episode, no dropouts noticed.

Science Channel:

3 Episodes of Zahi Hawass' Chasing Mummies, No dropouts at all.

All cases used the following equipment:

HR20-700 > HDMI > Onkyo SR605 > HDMI > Samsung 60" LED/LCD

I'm reporting on the dropouts only for the AVR. I don't listen to the TV speakers.

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

#184 OFFLINE   recorder

recorder

AllStar

• Registered
  • 53 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 05:22 PM

I have absolutely zero dropouts on my HR22-100, but what I do have ,and what D* refuses to acknowledge, is No Center Channel on the 101 network DD5.1 programming.

I've posted this issue in 2 threads, and only received one confirmation of the same issue.

I've got my HR22 audio out going coax to my Denon AVR988.
The input display shows DD5.1, but there is ZERO audio coming out of the center channel. Obviously, this makes following dialog a real challenge.

I have noticed intermittently, on some of the 101 promo's, and a C&W concert that was on in June( don't know who, 'cause I'm not a fan of the genre), the Center Channel does/did transmit.

Had a ticket open 4/29, and followed up for 2 weeks with no resolution.
I gave up the ghost.

All other channels' DD5.1 audio is normal.

#185 OFFLINE   Santana

Santana

AllStar

• Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 07:44 PM

I will admit I am no audiophile and I have no fancy sound equipment, but I have never noticed any audio dropouts on any channel ever. I have Dolby Digital 5.1 enabled and use a Sony sound-bar with the sub-woofer doubling as the receiver. I have an HR21/200 with HDMI connecting straight to the TV for video, but I am using fiber cables to the receiver for the audio.

#186 OFFLINE   txfeinbergs

txfeinbergs

Legend

• Registered
  • 130 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 08:45 PM

Tonight I had 3 audio dropouts at the 15th, 26th, and 27th minute of The Colony on the Discovery channel. I saved this recording because I am going to be using it to compare the length of audio dropouts I have with a Pioneer receiver once I get it. (currently using an Onkyo and each dropout lasts about 3 seconds).

#187 OFFLINE   Die Hard

Die Hard

Mentor

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 05:55 AM

Last Night

HGTV - Audio dropout associated with a slight picture stutter at 6:19 CST.

TBS - Meet the Browns - audio dropout @ 7:25 CST.

Science Channel - Wonder of the Solar System - audio dropout @ 8:15 CST.

H23/600 - HDMI - Denon 1610 - HDMI - Panasonic Plasma TCP-50S1

#188 OFFLINE   The Fuzz 53

The Fuzz 53

AllStar

• Registered
  • 72 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 07:02 AM

Mets game last night on SNY, channel 639 at 8:07pm eastern time.

#189 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,575 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 07:14 AM

Noticed some last night, watching Covert Affairs (OAD 8/3) and Closer on USA and TNT respectively. 3-4 during each show, about .5 to 1 second in duration.

HR24-500 connected optical to a Yamaha RX-V2600 receiver. DD "on".

Edited by Steve, 12 August 2010 - 09:13 AM.

/steve

#190 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 41,761 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 07:51 AM

Noticed some last night, watching Covert Affairs and Closer on USA and TNT respectively. 3-4 during each show, about .5 to 1 second in duration.

HR24-500 connected optical to a Yamaha RX-V2600 receiver. DD "on".

Caught two in Covert Affairs, @ the 2 min & 57 min marks.
Memphis Beat, TNT, had only one.
A.K.A VOS

#191 OFFLINE   FrozenAsset

FrozenAsset

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 08:49 AM

Had them last night on HD rental of Bounty Hunter.
LIVINGROOM: DirecTV HR24-500
Panasonic
Viera TH-50PZ800U<>Onkyo TX-SR805
Klipsch RF-35, RC-52, RS-3, RPW-10
Sony PS3<>Dual APC SUA1500
Studio Tech U-22T<>SL5-SWM & Slimline AU9

MASTER: DirecTV HR23-700<>Roku 2 XS<>Panasonic TC-L32X2
OFFICE:
DirecTV H24-100<>Panasonic TC-L32X2
NETWORK:
D-LINK DGS-1024D<>Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH

#192 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,575 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 09:12 AM

Caught two in Covert Affairs, @ the 2 min & 57 min marks [...]

Your post made me realize the episode I reported above was last week's Covert Affairs. Haven't watched this week's yet. Closer was this week's.
/steve

#193 OFFLINE   nollchr

nollchr

AllStar

• Registered
  • 85 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 09:30 AM

The newer Denon was also connected via HDMI, not optical.

#194 OFFLINE   1948GG

1948GG

Icon

• Registered
  • 897 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 05:40 PM

DROPOUTS ON VOD = INEXCUSABLE

Most of the non-pay VOD available isn't Dolby, but flat stereo; I've never heard any dropouts on it.

But today, I 'got around' to watching a VOD Dolby movie that was filled with dropouts every couple of minutes, throughout the entire 2hr film.

Absolutely inexcusable. Obviously ZERO quality control. Although the transfer mechanism (or actually whatever d/l system, both at their head-end and my HR) could be at fault, although that gets us into another area (that's even worse), programmers.

The film is 'Lifeforce', a Tobe Hooper classic, done between 'Poltergeist' and 'Invaders From Mars' (remake).

#195 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 07:11 PM

Big Brother tonight, which is SD on NY Channel 2 had a number of dropouts.

#196 OFFLINE   RogueWing16

RogueWing16

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 07:19 PM

CBS

Numerous dropouts during the Ravens-Panthers game. Maybe 1 second long and occurring nearly every 3 minutes.

Watching on a R10 receiver. Very annoying. This is the first time I've noticed this.:(

#197 OFFLINE   techntrek

techntrek

Godfather

• Registered
  • 298 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 11:12 AM

Warehouse 13 SYFY
White collar USA

+1 on Warehouse 13, every episode lately.
How do I enable DLB for my life?

#198 OFFLINE   amanz

amanz

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 01:46 PM

Spoke to D*TV tech support this afternoon on another issue, and casually mentioned to rep that I've experienced audio dropouts on HD shows with DD5.1 on. Told him I had a service tech over a few weeks ago who downloaded a firmware upgrade, tightened my dish alignment, but had zero affect on the fixing the audio dropouts. Also said I learned via DBSTalk that the problem resides with audio codec compatibility with MPEG4 broadcasts.

Tech rep said he wished I had spoken to him. He acknowledged audio dropouts are indeed a problem and DirecTV is working on correcting them. He said the audio problems began when D*TV implemented a fix for audio level problems between shows and commercials. Seems fixing one problem inadvertently caused another. He also said he's experienced the same audio problems with his home theater setup in South Dakota. So he shares out pain.

He felt a permanent fix would be ready in a month or so, possibly sooner. I'm sure all of us on this thread would certainly hope so.

#199 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,856 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 13 August 2010 - 06:21 PM

Spoke to D*TV tech support this afternoon on another issue, and casually mentioned to rep that I've experienced audio dropouts on HD shows with DD5.1 on. Told him I had a service tech over a few weeks ago who downloaded a firmware upgrade, tightened my dish alignment, but had zero affect on the fixing the audio dropouts. Also said I learned via DBSTalk that the problem resides with audio codec compatibility with MPEG4 broadcasts.

Tech rep said he wished I had spoken to him. He acknowledged audio dropouts are indeed a problem and DirecTV is working on correcting them. He said the audio problems began when D*TV implemented a fix for audio level problems between shows and commercials. Seems fixing one problem inadvertently caused another. He also said he's experienced the same audio problems with his home theater setup in South Dakota. So he shares out pain.

He felt a permanent fix would be ready in a month or so, possibly sooner. I'm sure all of us on this thread would certainly hope so.

I don't think the tech got it right. The drop-outs (non-HR24) involve the encoders (MPEG-4), which have nothing to do with the volume adjustments.
It was an interesting guess on his part, but far off the mark.

The part he had right is that D* knows about it an is working on a fix. The problem is a difficult one with no easy fix. I am confident that it will eventually get fixed, but it isn't going to be "real soon now". Try not to get your hopes up, and if it bothers you a lot, turn Dolby Digital off (in your sat box), which seems to help a lot of people hide the problem.

I like DD so much, I leave mine on, and tolerate the drop-outs (at least for now).

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

#200 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,996 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 13 August 2010 - 08:16 PM

VOS, how much longer do you need to post information? Hasn't what has been posted so far giving DirecTV any leads on the problem?

See post My Setup for configuration info.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...