Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

On which channels do you have audio dropouts?

• Please log in to reply
926 replies to this topic

#221 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,864 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 16 August 2010 - 06:58 PM

Had several short drops during Next FoodNetwork Star

I've been watching the Jets - Giants game on 206 (ESPN-HD), for nearly an hour now, and have had no drop-outs at all. Not one.

I'm still getting about 4 per hour on any USA Network recording that I watch (and there are at least 6 series that I record on USA Network)

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#222 OFFLINE   mikeindc

mikeindc

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 07:58 PM

Audio dropouts and pixelation during The Closer tonight on TNT 245

#223 OFFLINE   RedTechie

RedTechie

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 09:10 AM

I'll let you know tomorrow whether there is any improvement between a Onkyo SR805 and a Pioneer 1120-K. That is when my new system arrives. I have saved a program with glitches in it to compare. The Onkyo is around 2 seconds per glitch.

I'm also very interested in these results. I'm to the point where I'm willing to throw money at the situation to make it less of an annoyance.

I am currently using a cheap Samsung all-in-one DVD player and home theater in a box setup and was looking at possibly buying the Onkyo TX-SR608 receiver and new speakers. But if Onkyo's are supposedly the worst at recovering from these audio glitches I might look elsewhere.

Channels I've noticed the drop outs on (live and recorded programs) are:
SyFy HD
HBO HD

Hardware:
HR-24 DVR

#224 OFFLINE   Holydoc

Holydoc

Legend

• Registered
  • 231 posts
  • LocationPanhandle, FL

Posted 17 August 2010 - 11:31 AM

Syfy had lots of drop-outs during Warehouse 13.

#225 OFFLINE   hidef2010

hidef2010

AllStar

• Registered
  • 87 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 01:20 PM

Funny, I actually experienced my first audio drop out yesterday on HBO HD 501, mind you, I have DD set to "on" on my HR22-100 audio set up screen.
I am connected via HDMI to my Kuro and via optical to my Integra AVR. I could go to the AVR from the HR22 via HDMI, but I am a purist that way!!!:D:D
Anyway, are you guys saying I should turn DD to "off"? Will this not cause only pcm to pass to my AVR? I got to try this when I get home to see if my receiver will use PLII or actually give me DD 5.1.

Hidef2010

#226 OFFLINE   txfeinbergs

txfeinbergs

Legend

• Registered
  • 130 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 05:09 PM

Guys, I got my new Pioneer in today, and have it all connected up. Before I disconnected the Onkyo though I had a program recorded on my HR24 that had 3 audio drop outs on it. Each glitch caused the receiver to drop audio for exactly 3 seconds (recorded it with digital stopwatch). With the Pioneer, the audio drop out is exactly 0.5 seconds - definitely still audible, but at least you don't lose an entire sentence of dialog anymore everytime it happens!

#227 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 41,779 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 05:30 PM

Guys, I got my new Pioneer in today, and have it all connected up. Before I disconnected the Onkyo though I had a program recorded on my HR24 that had 3 audio drop outs on it. Each glitch caused the receiver to drop audio for exactly 3 seconds (recorded it with digital stopwatch). With the Pioneer, the audio drop out is exactly 0.5 seconds - definitely still audible, but at least you don't lose an entire sentence of dialog anymore everytime it happens!

I'm sure this is what makes some of us "tolerate" these, while for others it drives them nuts. That's a factor of 6x greater/longer.
A.K.A VOS

#228 OFFLINE   Die Hard

Die Hard

Mentor

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 06:12 PM

Thanks for letting us know your results.
It would be interesting to know about how audio drops you get per hour compared to the Onkyo.

Edited by Die Hard, 18 August 2010 - 02:04 PM.

#229 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,998 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 17 August 2010 - 06:27 PM

Watching a recording from Discovery HD 278 made back on 3/28 and it has had a few audio drops on it using a Onkyo TX-NX901 AVR connected via TOSLINK from HR24-500.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#230 OFFLINE   bagdropper

bagdropper

AllStar

• Registered
  • 78 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 06:42 PM

I wish I would have cme to this site sooner, for I was beginning to think my issue wasn't system oriented.

I started having mainly audio dropouts on the channels I'll list at the end. I'm also getting pixelation with my picture. It started 8-14. At first, a red button restart cleared it up but I am noticing it again.

Those are the ones I've noticed so far. I never really lose total picture...it just hiccups (slight small pixelation with an audio dropout).

Signal strengths are strong, not inclement weather, I know my dish is in alignment and my signal strengths have been good to great...my receiver/system is in my signature. Reception has definitely been iffy lately.
Home/Living Room Setup
Dell Intel Quad Core 64 bit 7MC
OTA - VolarMax ATSC USB Tuner
Hauppauge HD PVR 1080i
H23 w)slimline
Panasonic TP-50X1 Plasma
Sony STR-DA5ES
Def Tech BP6/CLR 3000/BP2X
Home Bedroom Setup
Xbox 360 via 7MC w) Olevia LCD
Cabin Setup
Slingbox via Home H23 composite
Compaq 7MC/TP-42C1 Plasma
Sony STR-DA4ES - Def Tech Pro Cinema 60 System

#231 OFFLINE   Die Hard

Die Hard

Mentor

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 05:57 AM

I wish I would have cme to this site sooner, for I was beginning to think my issue wasn't system oriented.

I started having mainly audio dropouts on the channels I'll list at the end. I'm also getting pixelation with my picture. It started 8-14. At first, a red button restart cleared it up but I am noticing it again.

Those are the ones I've noticed so far. I never really lose total picture...it just hiccups (slight small pixelation with an audio dropout).

Signal strengths are strong, not inclement weather, I know my dish is in alignment and my signal strengths have been good to great...my receiver/system is in my signature. Reception has definitely been iffy lately.

I mainly have audio dropouts and have had them since around last fall 2009, but I also have seen picture stutter and/or pixelation associated with some of these audio dropouts.

#232 OFFLINE   hookemfins

hookemfins

Godfather

• Registered
  • 393 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 06:14 AM

HR-44-700 (3) C41-500 HR 24-100 GenieGo

#233 OFFLINE   swans

swans

Legend

• Registered
  • 248 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 11:40 AM

to semi-fix our bug. Will DirecTV provide us each with one like Apple is doing with the cases?:lol:

#234 OFFLINE   gitarzan

gitarzan

Godfather

• Registered
  • 401 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 06:49 PM

Hey DirecTV......nearly a year now. Do you really benefit from this information in this thread? Pick out on channel that has the problem and fix it.
Almost there.
A few more seconds please...

#235 OFFLINE   shortcut

shortcut

Mentor

• Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 07:10 PM

TNTHD
USAHD

We watched Warehouse 13 and Rizzoli & Isles from this week (most recent recording) this evening.
Recorded on HR23, HDMI through Pioneer VSX-1020K, HDMI to Panasonic 1080I TV.

Both shows were like back in the old days watching D* in bad weather!
Pixelation every 5 minutes or more.

I am located east of Atlanta, GA.
There may have been weather on the nights they record...I couldn't tell you if there WAS weather on the nights of recording...with DVR I don't even know what night they record on.. (-:

Anyone else have it this bad on either of these shows?

Joe

Edited by shortcut, 18 August 2010 - 07:15 PM.

HR23-700
51" Panisonic LCD RP
Pioneer VSX-1020K
Xbox360

HR20-700 w/ Seagate FreeAgent Pro 750(second FAP, first one died after 2 years)

#236 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 41,779 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 07:20 PM

TNTHD
USAHD

We watched Warehouse 13 and Rizzoli & Isles from this week (most recent recording) this evening.
Recorded on HR23, HDMI through Pioneer VSX-1020K, HDMI to Panasonic 1080I TV.

Both shows were like back in the old days watching D* in bad weather!
Pixelation every 5 minutes or more.

I am located east of Atlanta, GA.
There may have been weather on the nights they record...I couldn't tell you if there WAS weather on the nights of recording...with DVR I don't even know what night they record on.. (-:

Anyone else have it this bad on either of these shows?

Joe

I've just watched this week's of those two and not sure I even had audio dropouts, let alone any video issues.
A.K.A VOS

#237 OFFLINE   amanz

amanz

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 09:07 PM

Noticed several postings indicating Onkyo AVRs fare the worst in terms of delays when encountering audio dropouts. I have to say my TX-SR876 recovers pretty quickly - ~0.5 sec. Nothing close to the 3 sec intervals others have cited. That would drive me crazy.

Realize the SR876 AVR is a more expensive than some of the other models, but got it for a pretty good price last Dec from J&R - just under $1K. Perhaps this unit has different circuitry than the other models that allows it to recover faster.

#238 OFFLINE   bagdropper

bagdropper

AllStar

• Registered
  • 78 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 06:19 AM

I was watching Smithsonian last night, the Electric Guitar program they started this month, 8-9pm central last night. The 1st half hour were UNWATCHABLE. Every 5-10 seconds, I would lose the entire picture, then it would pop back on a second or two later.

At about the half hour mark, it suddenly reversed itself and was fine from that point on.

I was also watching 256...some Walter Pigeon movie - I also got a few instances of picture pixelation on that...never seen it before on an SD channel. The audio was fine.

For the record...this all started for me last Saturday, for about 12 months I never had an issue at all. Again, my signal strengths are solid to great across the board on all sats. And there wasn't a cloud in the sky.
Home/Living Room Setup
Dell Intel Quad Core 64 bit 7MC
OTA - VolarMax ATSC USB Tuner
Hauppauge HD PVR 1080i
H23 w)slimline
Panasonic TP-50X1 Plasma
Sony STR-DA5ES
Def Tech BP6/CLR 3000/BP2X
Home Bedroom Setup
Xbox 360 via 7MC w) Olevia LCD
Cabin Setup
Slingbox via Home H23 composite
Compaq 7MC/TP-42C1 Plasma
Sony STR-DA4ES - Def Tech Pro Cinema 60 System

#239 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,998 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 20 August 2010 - 09:21 AM

VOS, how much longer do you need to post information? Hasn't what has been posted so far giving DirecTV any leads on the problem?

VOS, again have you found out from DirecTV how much longer they want this data collection? We're coming up close to three weeks, don't they have enough data points to point them to the problem yet?

8/20 1AM CDT recording of Eureka on 244, audio via Denon AVR-891/HDMI connection. Total of 9 audio drops at approx 5:34, 5:38, 11:38, 20:38, 33:51, 39:04, 39:39, 48:44 and 50:38.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#240 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 41,779 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 09:39 AM

VOS, again have you found out from DirecTV

I've got nothing new. :shrug:
A.K.A VOS

Protected By... spam firewall...And...