Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

On which channels do you have audio dropouts?

• Please log in to reply
926 replies to this topic

#281 OFFLINE   RedTechie

RedTechie

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 09:49 AM

I mentioned the problem (again) to Directv on twitter this morning....

DIRECTV: Our broadcast team confirmed SD channels were experiencing intermittent issues and just implemented a fix. Thanks to all for your updates.

ME: What about the audio drop outs on HD channels that have been going on for ages now with Dolby Digital turned on?

DIRECTV: We will ask our broadcast team to investigate that.

ME: For more information <URL to this thread>

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#282 OFFLINE   bagdropper

bagdropper

AllStar

• Registered
  • 78 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 07:40 PM

Sunspots? I seem to remember, back in the late 70s when I was a kid and my parents had a c-band rig, that late august to about the end of september, there were periods where we'd have basically lousy signal quality.

The thing that keeps me coming back to this thread is...I never get a 771 loss of signal message. At some points late this afternoon, ESPN and especially the Big 10 Network during the divisional announcement at 6 central...pretty near unwatchable at times, video and audio. Brief 2-3 second pixelization always on the lower half of the screen and the digital audio via coaxial blinks the signal on my Sony. It'll go on for 15 or so minutes every say 15 seconds or so, then disappear...then start up again.

I record my component and optical digital outputs to my HD-PVR - its happening there also in recordings. Some channel recordings seem fine but still have blips maybe 1-2 an hour...some are horrific and I have to toss the recordings - Smithsonian and ESPN are great examples. Seems better on overnight recordings for things like VH1 Classic, HBO, HDNet Movies.

And not a single 771...
Home/Living Room Setup
Dell Intel Quad Core 64 bit 7MC
OTA - VolarMax ATSC USB Tuner
Hauppauge HD PVR 1080i
H23 w)slimline
Panasonic TP-50X1 Plasma
Sony STR-DA5ES
Def Tech BP6/CLR 3000/BP2X
Home Bedroom Setup
Xbox 360 via 7MC w) Olevia LCD
Cabin Setup
Slingbox via Home H23 composite
Compaq 7MC/TP-42C1 Plasma
Sony STR-DA4ES - Def Tech Pro Cinema 60 System

#283 OFFLINE   tsduke

tsduke

Godfather

• Registered
  • 470 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 08:55 PM

So when do we start to here about some progress being made on a resolution?

#284 OFFLINE   Santana

Santana

AllStar

• Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 12:44 AM

Anyone know a band/model receiver that you can FIX/LOCK on DD so it doesn't try to auto switch when the DD stream is interrupted?
I may break down and cash in the change bucket despite having perfectly good Onkyo that isn't even that old.

Cheap (less than $200) Sony Soundbar - SS-MCT100, set up with optical cables. It runs DD just fine; never had an audio drop-out. I'm no expert, but from what I read, the drop-outs seem to come with HDMI setups. Maybe an optical setup would help.

#285 OFFLINE   betterdan

betterdan

Icon

• Registered
  • 898 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 02:46 AM

Optical or hdmi doesn't matter with my Onkyo setup or many others I have seen try to switch between them. It isn't the connection that is the problem, it's Directv.

#286 OFFLINE   Die Hard

Die Hard

Mentor

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 05:07 AM

Cheap (less than $200) Sony Soundbar - SS-MCT100, set up with optical cables. It runs DD just fine; never had an audio drop-out. I'm no expert, but from what I read, the drop-outs seem to come with HDMI setups. Maybe an optical setup would help.

It's not just with HDMI. I will get the audio dropouts when using optical as well.

#287 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,843 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 02 September 2010 - 07:51 AM

Sunspots? I seem to remember, back in the late 70s when I was a kid and my parents had a c-band rig, that late august to about the end of september, there were periods where we'd have basically lousy signal quality.

The thing that keeps me coming back to this thread is...I never get a 771 loss of signal message. At some points late this afternoon, ESPN and especially the Big 10 Network during the divisional announcement at 6 central...pretty near unwatchable at times, video and audio. Brief 2-3 second pixelization always on the lower half of the screen and the digital audio via coaxial blinks the signal on my Sony. It'll go on for 15 or so minutes every say 15 seconds or so, then disappear...then start up again.

I record my component and optical digital outputs to my HD-PVR - its happening there also in recordings. Some channel recordings seem fine but still have blips maybe 1-2 an hour...some are horrific and I have to toss the recordings - Smithsonian and ESPN are great examples. Seems better on overnight recordings for things like VH1 Classic, HBO, HDNet Movies.

And not a single 771...

The audio problems being discussed can't be caused by either the twice per year predictable signal outages or by a specific solar storm. All either do is completely overwhelm the sat signal with their own broadband noise. In these cases, both video and audio are affected, and not just a short burst, but in the first case, about 10 to 15 minutes, and in the second case, at least several minutes.

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

#288 OFFLINE   rge62365

rge62365

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 11:26 AM

sorry i'm new, and i've been having these audio drops since last December and i've gone thru 4 HD DVR's from Directv, along with switching my Audio Receiver to a Yamaha (new).

not sure this has been asked, but does Dish Network have these same issues as Directv?? i also have Cox Cable available, do cable companies have Audio Drops too?

just wondering if i should give up and switch...

#289 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 41,700 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 11:35 AM

sorry i'm new, and i've been having these audio drops since last December and i've gone thru 4 HD DVR's from Directv, along with switching my Audio Receiver to a Yamaha (new).

not sure this has been asked, but does Dish Network have these same issues as Directv?? i also have Cox Cable available, do cable companies have Audio Drops too?

just wondering if i should give up and switch...

I don't have dish, so :shrug:
As for cable, some of this may also be on cable, as if the source is bad there, it will be bad on cable/MPEG-2 also, "BUT" there does seem to be more of this with MPEG-4, which is the encoding that DirecTV uses.
A.K.A VOS

#290 OFFLINE   bubbacummins

bubbacummins

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 11:58 AM

May be jumping in a bit late on this discussion but here the drops are noticable on most of the HD channels with HGTV and especially SPEED ( actually absolutely horrible on there) being worse, yet it seems I never get any drops on the starz or showtime channels, also drops only seems to occur on the shows being broadcast in DD5.1 rather than the ones that are only in DD2.0.

The drops don't last long, maybe half second as the AVR resync's but still annoying, also when just listing to the tv (samsung LN-S4692D) via hdmi the audio will slur and distort at times, which I assume would be a dropout on the AVR.

Now for those thinking about going to Uverse due to the audio issues go take a look at the at&t utalk forums and you will see many complaining of the very same thing for shows broadcast in DD5.1, take a look at http://utalk.att.com...-5-1/td-p/57711

HR22 going to a Panasonic SA-HE200 AVR via optical

#291 OFFLINE   keenan

keenan

Godfather

• Registered
  • 517 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 12:06 PM

May be jumping in a bit late on this discussion but here the drops are noticable on most of the HD channels with HGTV and especially SPEED ( actually absolutely horrible on there) being worse, yet it seems I never get any drops on the starz or showtime channels, also drops only seems to occur on the shows being broadcast in DD5.1 rather than the ones that are only in DD2.0.

The drops don't last long, maybe half second as the AVR resync's but still annoying, also when just listing to the tv (samsung LN-S4692D) via hdmi the audio will slur and distort at times, which I assume would be a dropout on the AVR.

Now for those thinking about going to Uverse due to the audio issues go take a look at the at&t utalk forums and you will see many complaining of the very same thing for shows broadcast in DD5.1, take a look at http://utalk.att.com...-5-1/td-p/57711

HR22 going to a Panasonic SA-HE200 AVR via optical

Looks like the problem is with those pesky Tandberg encoders again.

#292 OFFLINE   bagdropper

bagdropper

AllStar

• Registered
  • 78 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 04:58 AM

I have lost all HD...my SD channels tune in just fine. I literally cannot tune in anything HD any more as of this morning.

I checked my signal strengths. Is there a post somewhere that would indicate what for my area I should be getting on the new sats, because 101-110-119 are all in the 90s. The rest...

99c - xprs 1-14 all mid 80s to low 90s
99s - low 40s to low 60s except xprs 16-24 run from 60 to low 90s
103s - 2=60, 4=94, 16=79, 18-22=79 to 98, rest 0's
103ca = all mid 90s

Do I have an issue here then? East Central Iowa, clear as a bell right now.

I caught myself pricing Dish online yesterday afternoon...been with DTV since 1995. I am very frustrated.
Home/Living Room Setup
Hauppauge HD PVR 1080i
H23 w)slimline
Panasonic TP-50X1 Plasma
Sony STR-DA5ES
Home Bedroom Setup
Cabin Setup

#293 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,531 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 06:15 AM

About half a dozen severe (at least for my set-up) dropouts on this week's Dark Blue (11PM ET showing). They ranged from .5 to 1 second and caused my AVR to repeatedly drop DD, based on its front panel display.

HR24-500 connected optical to a Yamaha RX-V2600.

Edited by Steve, 03 September 2010 - 07:58 AM.

/steve

#294 OFFLINE   swans

swans

Legend

• Registered
  • 248 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 07:43 AM

On ESPN, ' ', and VS. The leader in ' ' had multiple dropouts. Seriously DirecTV you ' ' and I'm really getting ' ' of it!:mad:

Sorry for the audio ' ', I'm being conditioned to think they are ' '.

#295 OFFLINE   JeffBowser

JeffBowser

blah blah blah

• Registered
  • 2,502 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 07:53 AM

Yesterday, on the LiL "CW" channel 34, which was a rebroadcast of Miami 4, I had dropouts galore. This was on my bedroom HR22, HDMI straight to the TV. This is the first time I have noticed so many, and so lengthy.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
A fool finds no pleasure in understanding but delights in airing his own opinions.

#296 OFFLINE   bagdropper

bagdropper

AllStar

• Registered
  • 78 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 11:49 AM

Here's a list of channels I got this on, scoured the last 45 minutes or so. I went through my saved favorites, about 85 channels, and stood on each HD channel for approximately 15-30 seconds. Some channels I get the blips in maybe 2-5 seconds after tuning them in, some I have to stay there for as much as a minute before I get the pixelization/drops.

206 - horrific
207 - horrific
362 - horrific

This morning, all the HBO HDs had it. I have also seen it on 256 and 337...337 had them between 630am and 10am central about every 10-15 seconds. One thing I also noticed...I watched the Hurd on 208 for about a half hour between 1130-12 central this morning, not one drop...but last night during the Gopher game, had several drops. I will also say, this week, EVERY HD channel I watched has had them at some point.
Home/Living Room Setup
Hauppauge HD PVR 1080i
H23 w)slimline
Panasonic TP-50X1 Plasma
Sony STR-DA5ES
Home Bedroom Setup
Cabin Setup

#297 OFFLINE   bagdropper

bagdropper

AllStar

• Registered
  • 78 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 01:10 PM

All through this, I remembered...last time I had issues, it ws May 3rd of this year...at my ground, the barrel inside had water in it. No visiable signs on the outside either. It was a rig I made, properly, just without the fancy waterproof connectors DTV uses. So, I kept thinking...it cannot be that, they put those waterproof cups on it, no way is water getting in there.

Opened that sucker up, and it had visible water inside both ends. Evidently the run of wire, the low spot in the horizontal run on both sides is the grounding block itself. Even though the area itself and the outside of the whole assembly looks factory new, inside was water - both copper leads were all grungy along with black moldy type stuff, maybe microscopic dirt.

Put new replacement coax el cheapo leads and a barrel connector on, no blips since. Gonna properly get it all fixed up with better waterproofs again plus re-ground it, but if this flimsy fix works, must be the issue.

Sorry if I got anyone riled up about this...my faith maybe in the equipment is restored...and I'll check this more careully and relocate it so it's the high points on both horizontal runs.

How I decided to look was I called tech support - she checked all my signals and found on 103s and 99s I was low to 0 on a few spot beams I should be getting better signals on, even though I was getting upper 90s on the same sat and all the 4 others. Pressed channel down and held it and the receiver ran a self check...it returned an error code (70-70-201 I believe) that, even though the 2 errors listed were for no ethernet hookup...it told her that I was low on 103s and 99s, and to check wiring.

Bingo, the CSR appears to have done me good. Please baby baby please continue to work and who knows...maybe others here, check your wiring!
Home/Living Room Setup
Hauppauge HD PVR 1080i
H23 w)slimline
Panasonic TP-50X1 Plasma
Sony STR-DA5ES
Home Bedroom Setup
Cabin Setup

#298 OFFLINE   abbatazappa

abbatazappa

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 09:41 AM

Starz Edge HD recorded on DVR..... I was frantically checking my equipment until I found this thread. Extremely ANNOYING.

#299 OFFLINE   Vinny*

Vinny*

Legend

• Registered
  • 190 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 10:02 AM

Local WTVR Channel 6 in Richmond Virginia.

#300 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,173 posts
  • LocationGalactic Empire

Posted 05 September 2010 - 11:24 AM

I receive audio dropouts on every channel, some worse than others. On The Weather Channel, I get them in lengths of 5-10 seconds!

spam firewall