Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

On which channels do you have audio dropouts?

• Please log in to reply
928 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   bigzeto

bigzeto

AllStar

• Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 05:55 PM

Another dropout in the bottom of the 2nd inning while Jason Heyward was at bat. I can't believe some people don't get these dropouts.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#22 OFFLINE   gitarzan

gitarzan

Godfather

• Registered
  • 401 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 06:05 PM

CNNHD

About wasting time...How exactly is this list any different then the same channels others have been reporting in other threads for nearly a year now? DirecTV shold already know which channels have problems and if they don't shame on them.
Almost there.
A few more seconds please...

#23 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,097 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 02 August 2010 - 06:08 PM

I decided to try something. I recorded Penn & Teller Bull**** first on the east coast feed and then the west coast feed. I used two different HR24-500's, one for each feed. When I played them back one was via the local recording, the other was via MRV. I was listening to the audio via TOSLINK to an Onkyo TX-NR901 with Dolby Digital 5.1 enabled.

Now here's the interesting thing, both recordings had a total of 5 dropouts and all of them were at the same point in the program, east and west feeds. The times were about 1:36, 3:58, 20:47, 22:16 and 23:40 and the audio dropped at exactly the same point.

OK, so does that mean that the problem was with the source at Showtime or is there something about the audio data stream that has something in it that's freaking out the hardware at DirecTV?

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#24 OFFLINE   24Flames

24Flames

Legend

• Registered
  • 117 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 06:10 PM

Cartoon network - HD. 3-6 second audio drop outs (static/hissing) have been occurring on and off for 2-3 months on this channel for us.

Funny thing is, we upgraded to MRV about 3 weeks ago and the tech replaced my dish, the switches, and I received two new receivers. Yet the audio drop out problem continues with the new receivers.....and the problem continues on my old receivers they didn't swap out.

It's definitely a DIRECTV problem. :(

#25 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,130 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 02 August 2010 - 06:13 PM

I decided to try something. I recorded Penn & Teller Bull**** first on the east coast feed and then the west coast feed. I used two different HR24-500's, one for each feed. When I played them back one was via the local recording, the other was via MRV. I was listening to the audio via TOSLINK to an Onkyo TX-NR901 with Dolby Digital 5.1 enabled.

Now here's the interesting thing, both recordings had a total of 5 dropouts and all of them were at the same point in the program, east and west feeds. The times were about 1:36, 3:58, 20:47, 22:16 and 23:40 and the audio dropped at exactly the same point.

OK, so does that mean that the problem was with the source at Showtime or is there something about the audio data stream that has something in it that's freaking out the hardware at DirecTV?

When did you record the Showtime West HD feed? If it was Thursday night/early Friday, I can compare mine.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#26 OFFLINE   bigzeto

bigzeto

AllStar

• Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 06:15 PM

Fox Sports Southwest HD

Just had a drop out. I'm pretty sure there are channels that I don't experience dropouts, but I need to pay attention to which ones.

#27 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,097 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 06:16 PM

When did you record the Showtime West HD feed? If it was Thursday night/early Friday, I can compare mine.

West coast recording was midnight 00:00CDT on 7/30, east coast was 21:00CDT on 7/29, three hours earlier.

#28 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,130 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 02 August 2010 - 06:23 PM

West coast recording was midnight 00:00CDT on 7/30, east coast was 21:00CDT on 7/29, three hours earlier.

I recorded that west feed. I just did a quick run through (skipping to around times you noted) and had the same drop points. I'm connected via HDMI from a HR24-100 through a Yamaha RX-V465 with DD on. Luckily, the Yamaha handles drops very well with a very very quick drop.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#29 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 41,991 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 06:28 PM

I watch Penn & Teller too, and this week there was a problem that I don't normally see. I was using it to check the fix in the HR24.
If you got the same glitches on both east [what I watched] and west airing, it kind of sounds like it was from Showtime.
Not wanting to let DirecTV off the hook, but if they're given garbage, then that is all they can give us.
A.K.A VOS

#30 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 06:55 PM

Just about all that I watch. I obviously don't watch them all.

Watched a couple USA (Royal Pains) and Food network shows today and they were horrible. Loaded with dropouts. Get it occasionally on nbc, cbs, abc & fox (NY).

#31 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,097 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 07:07 PM

I watch Penn & Teller too, and this week there was a problem that I don't normally see. I was using it to check the fix in the HR24.
If you got the same glitches on both east [what I watched] and west airing, it kind of sounds like it was from Showtime.
Not wanting to let DirecTV off the hook, but if they're given garbage, then that is all they can give us.

That may be the case. But I've heard the drops on Showtime West for as long as I can remember. So if it's a case of Showtime being the source of the problem then I'd have to guess that it's been a problem with Showtime all along and that all MSO's are having the same issue then.

#32 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,909 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 02 August 2010 - 07:11 PM

Just about all that I watch. I obviously don't watch them all.

Watched a couple USA (Royal Pains) and Food network shows today and they were horrible. Loaded with dropouts. Get it occasionally on nbc, cbs, abc & fox (NY).

A couple questions (since Royal Pains, among several others are on USA and represent a large portion of my viewing.)

1. Were these live, or recordings. I watch almost only recordings.

2. What is "horrible". How about a rough estimation of frequency like 3 or 4 per half hour or hour or whatever. The rate (even roughly approximated) is a lot more informative than a conclusion (like "horrible").

From USA network viewers, (me included), I get the impression that this may be one of the worst offenders, but it would help if we could compare approximate frequency for a give show. I record:

Royal Pains
Burn Notice
White Collar
Covert Affairs
NCIS re-runs

Lie to Me (Fox 17 LIL)

TNT:

Leverage
Memphis Beat
The Closer
Rizzoli & Isles

A&E:

The Glades

History HD:

Chasing Mummies

CNN-HD :

Fareed Zakaria's Global Public Square (Sunday's only)

I also record M-F, Morning Joe (MSNBC-HD, he Dan Patrick Show, (on 334 HD) and Mike and Mike in the Morning (209?), but I rarely watch the entirety of each show. I wouldn't rely on any observations of frequency on any of these, as I frequently just sample a few minutes here and there.

I'll make up a chart of these programs so I can note the drop out frequency as we watch the recordings. I can then report the frequency of the drop outs for each one. A caveat, however: I use 30 sec SKIP on commercials, so if there is a drop out in a commercial, I'm going to miss that count.

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

#33 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 41,991 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 07:17 PM

I record:

Royal Pains
Burn Notice
White Collar
Covert Affairs
Lie to Me (Fox 17 LIL)

TNT:
Leverage
Memphis Beat
Rizzoli & Isles

A&E:
The Glades

I'll make up a chart of these programs so I can note the drop out frequency as we watch the recordings. I can then report the frequency of the drop outs for each one. A caveat, however: I use 30 sec SKIP on commercials, so if there is a drop out in a commercial, I'm going to miss that count.

This would be interesting as the ones I left in your list, I record too.
A.K.A VOS

#34 OFFLINE   hyde76

hyde76

Legend

• Registered
  • 104 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 10:22 PM

All HD channels. I've given up watching anything and listening through the stereo. I like my HR20-700 but this is not cool.

#35 OFFLINE   zamzickles

zamzickles

Mentor

• Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 12:07 AM

SyFy
Speed
Old Dog, New Tricks

#36 OFFLINE   Die Hard

Die Hard

Mentor

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 06:17 AM

A couple questions (since Royal Pains, among several others are on USA and represent a large portion of my viewing.)

1. Were these live, or recordings. I watch almost only recordings.

2. What is "horrible". How about a rough estimation of frequency like 3 or 4 per half hour or hour or whatever. The rate (even roughly approximated) is a lot more informative than a conclusion (like "horrible").

From USA network viewers, (me included), I get the impression that this may be one of the worst offenders, but it would help if we could compare approximate frequency for a give show. I record:

Royal Pains
Burn Notice
White Collar
Covert Affairs
NCIS re-runs

Lie to Me (Fox 17 LIL)

TNT:

Leverage
Memphis Beat
The Closer
Rizzoli & Isles

A&E:

The Glades

History HD:

Chasing Mummies

CNN-HD :

Fareed Zakaria's Global Public Square (Sunday's only)

I also record M-F, Morning Joe (MSNBC-HD, he Dan Patrick Show, (on 334 HD) and Mike and Mike in the Morning (209?), but I rarely watch the entirety of each show. I wouldn't rely on any observations of frequency on any of these, as I frequently just sample a few minutes here and there.

All my receivers are "H" models, so obviously I don't do any recording.
I hear the audio dropouts during the programs and on commercials.
I average 3 to 4 dropouts per hour and yes some of our watching includes the USAHD network, to include NCIS, Burn Notice, White Collar, Covert Affairs and Royal Pains.
Occasionally some of the audio dropouts can be associated with a slight picture stutter or some pixelation.
Also, lately, I've noticed I'll get some pixelation (without an audio drop) at least once every hour or two. Has anyone else noticed this lately?

Edited by Die Hard, 03 August 2010 - 06:30 AM.

#37 OFFLINE   BKC

BKC

Icon

• Banned User
  • 682 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 06:42 AM

All HD channels. I've given up watching anything and listening through the stereo. I like my HR20-700 but this is not cool.

You are going to get chastised for this :D

#38 OFFLINE   bjamin82

bjamin82

Godfather

• Registered
  • 369 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 07:03 AM

These posts are completely useless to everybody.

Without giving channels you're simply wasting everyone time, which in the end will have anyone from DirecTV turning away from reading this thread and so you're only prolonging the problem.

Don't BE THE PROBLEM,

but instead become PART OF THE SOLUTION to the problem.

EVERY CHANNEL... I'm not being an ass... I am serious... EVERY CHANNEL. So if you would like, I will print out every HD channel D* has in a post, but since we are all very aware of EVERY HD Channel D* has, that would be a WASTE OF MY TIME.

#39 OFFLINE   BKC

BKC

Icon

• Banned User
  • 682 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 07:14 AM

EVERY CHANNEL... I'm not being an ass... I am serious... EVERY CHANNEL. So if you would like, I will print out every HD channel D* has in a post, but since we are all very aware of EVERY HD Channel D* has, that would be a WASTE OF MY TIME.

I tried to tell him the same thing but he doesn't want to hear it because it doesn't match what happens on his. I too have them on every HD channel I tune to. Looks like it happens to more than just you and I too.

#40 OFFLINE   bjamin82

bjamin82

Godfather

• Registered
  • 369 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 07:39 AM

Here is my complete list of HD channels that I hear audio drops outs on. I hope this helps... :lol:

A&E HD
ABC Family HD
Animal Planet HD
BET HD
Big Ten Network HD
Biography HD
Bravo HD
Cartoon Network
CBS College Sports Network HD
Cinemax HD East
Cinemax HD West
CMT HD