Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

On which channels do you have audio dropouts?

• Please log in to reply
926 replies to this topic

#481 OFFLINE   laajr

laajr

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 October 2010 - 08:07 PM

I have an HR22 with an AM21. I have had audio stuttering for some time mostly on OTA HD with the AM21 (see it occasionally on sat) . Watching the World Series on Fox (OTA w/AM21) has been terrible. Audio break ups every 5-10 secs. What I did today was disable DD on the HR22---the audio stuttering seems to be mostly gone. Notice an occasional break but have to really pay attention to catch it. Stereo decoding is probably less susceptible to whatever is causing the issue.

I've had the HR22/AM21 system for 2 years and over the past couple of months have experienced the audio stuttering. Video is fine. When I hear the audio breaks, I see the DD lights on my Pioneer receiver flicker.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#482 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,173 posts
  • LocationGalactic Empire

Posted 30 October 2010 - 08:12 PM

So basically if we want Dolby Digital 5.1, we have to put up with no audio. Yeah, that makes sense.

Or, we can deactivate the DD5.1 and then hear the audio, which in HD is supposed to be DD5.1.

Yeah, that makes sense.

FAITH: I find the lack of it disturbing.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

#483 OFFLINE   laajr

laajr

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 October 2010 - 08:21 PM

Couldn't agree more...this is crap. Just found a way to watch the world series and have audio...

#484 OFFLINE   newsposter

newsposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,429 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 07:27 AM

this is getting much worse. no when i come out of 30 sec skip i have no sound, if i go back and let it run a bit it does work though. or if i just watch about 15 seconds it will come back. it's like an old cassette machine with a messed up tape. Then i have stuttering during the show with video too and that messes up the sound too. various channels.
57 inch Hitachi 57F710S
Tivo Premiere
Panasonic E80 Dvd recorder
HR10-250 63 hrs w/DB8 antenna (parts :))
1/2 full Sony T60 (historical value)

#485 OFFLINE   betterdan

betterdan

Icon

• Registered
  • 898 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 08:11 AM

Directv said there is no problem with the audio. You should all stop taking drugs...

Or maybe Directv should...

#486 OFFLINE   peano

peano

Icon

• Registered
  • 747 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 11:49 AM

Well, if they say there is no problem, I guess they are not working on a solution. I must assume most subs use HDMI direct to their TV or through an AVR.

Us poor saps using coax or optical just have to suck it up and deal with it I guess. Not me. I was going to switch completely to Directv but not with this huge annoyance.

#487 OFFLINE   myjeep4x400

myjeep4x400

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 04:23 PM

just got off the phone with them, and same story they said they do not have a known issue with any of their receivers having audio drops to audio receivers. New software for my area is on the way though... It has been really bad for me here lately, so i had to call. 27 audio drops in a one hour show was more than I could stomach. Seems to happen on every HD channel I watch, local channels aren't as bad but even NBC Sunday night football it happens

Not to get off topic but im also having RF remote issues, lagging or not receiving at all, very irritating.

ESPNHD
FXHD
SPIKEHD
DISCOVERYHD
SPEEDHD
HBOHD
HDNETMOVIES

HR21-700
pioneer VSX1019AH
optical cable

#488 OFFLINE   hidef2010

hidef2010

AllStar

• Registered
  • 87 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 11:37 AM

Update again....

"Dexter" HD Channel# 535 ...............Program Time: 9:00 PM ................Number of Audio Drops = 3 .....................Live or Recorded = Rec

Thanks

Hidef2010

#489 OFFLINE   Robert L

Robert L

Legend

• Registered
  • 205 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 01:59 PM

Sunday night, HBO & showtime East 9PM. But really, I been hearing them so long that I just kind of ignored this thread, but finally decided just to look at it. Far as I'm concerned its on any channel that has 5.1. Its extremely random and I'm sure Directv knows it. If not then its because they don't care.

I'm sure it does vary though and worse on some equipment, as been pointed out. My Pioneer receiver is usually just a really quick dropout, like half a word. The display never changes except on the ever so often longer dropout. Which is usually followed by a video glitch.

Also, I know some don't hear them as easy because I have said to my brother after watching something, getting tired of audio dropouts. His response, I didn't hear any... Which is why I ask, just to see if he noticed. Of course he does on longer one's.
3- HR20-700, 2-HR24-500, Native on, 5- Networked (wired), FIOS, Slimline dish, Swm-16,HD receiver for music
Various displays & projectors, using HDMI

#490 OFFLINE   iainleaver

iainleaver

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 07:37 PM

I had severe audio dropouts on recorded programming from OTA channels 2 and 11 in Los Angeles. I had to turn on closed captioning to follow the dialog on both The Good Wife and Glee. There are occasional audio dropouts on live programming but not nearly as bad as on these two recently recorded shows.

I have also noticed dropouts on local channel 2 (not OTA) when I pause programming and then resume. This leads me to believe that it's my hard disk that's at fault rather than the channel programming. This is a four-year-old HR20-700. I have called twice in the past week about this problem. First CSR suggested unplugging/replugging my HDMI cable between the DVR and TV set. That didn't help. Second CSR suggested a hard reset -- unplugging for 15 seconds. I won't know if that helps for a day or so. She said next step would be replacing the receiver, if needed. I've got the protection plan.

This sounds like the problem I had - it is different from the 'normal' audio drop outs being discussed and was fixed with a replacement HR20-700

Now I just have the normal drop outs everyone else has

Iain

#491 OFFLINE   newsposter

newsposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,429 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 03:54 PM

even nickHD has dropouts. TLC as well. i think they should wait until there's just one stable software release and never update it. :)
57 inch Hitachi 57F710S
Tivo Premiere

#492 OFFLINE   egnlsn

egnlsn

AllStar

• Registered
  • 64 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 07:22 AM

EVERY HD channel we watch has dropouts. Locals, CNN, HBO, just to list a few. Have been ever since we were installed 3 years ago. I thought it was my A/V receiver, which is fed via optical from one DVR and coax from the other, as neither of my TVs that are fed via HDMI exhibit the issue. If it were my A/V receiver, though, I could correct that by replacing it.

#493 OFFLINE   newsposter

newsposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,429 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 05:15 PM

i just got finished watching a show and deleted it. went back to live TV ch 69 from allentown in SD and i had a stutter for about 10 seconds then it got ok

so this is not just an HD issue.
57 inch Hitachi 57F710S
Tivo Premiere

#494 OFFLINE   betterdan

betterdan

Icon

• Registered
  • 898 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 08:20 PM

That doesn't sound like the same issue we are talking about though newsposter.

#495 OFFLINE   swans

swans

Legend

• Registered
  • 248 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 08:17 AM

Once again multiple audio drops on SyFy for Stargate Universe which was recorded Tuesday the 2nd.

Is there really a purpose to this thread other than to allow us to vent and put us off?:(
DirecTV: Where customer satisfaction doesn't mean squat! Don't worry though, you still have the FAN BOYS!:hurah:

#496 OFFLINE   newsposter

newsposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,429 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 06:46 PM

watching HDnet now and the video and audio stutter is unbearable, wont be finishing katie
57 inch Hitachi 57F710S
Tivo Premiere

#497 OFFLINE   gilviv

gilviv

Godfather

• Registered
  • 358 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 09:23 AM

History Channel HD 269> 11/05 @ 1am & 2am "Ancient Aliens" recording was riddled with drop outs.

DirecTV since July 2006, WholeHome & HDDVR Service
Slimline5 SWM-LNB Dish to:
3x HR24/100s #1 w/AM21N via HDMI to LG 42LH90/240hz Full LED, #2 w/AM21N & #3 both via HDMI to 2-LG 32LK330/60hz LCDs
1x HR23/700 via HDMI> Sharp 26" LCD

#498 OFFLINE   txfeinbergs

txfeinbergs

Legend

• Registered
  • 130 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 10:27 AM

Once again multiple audio drops on SyFy for Stargate Universe which was recorded Tuesday the 2nd.

Is there really a purpose to this thread other than to allow us to vent and put us off?:(

Agree with you swans, Starget Universe is always chock full of audio drop outs. Luckily my new Pioneer amp does a really good job of recovering quickly, so they really don't bother me - I only lose about half a spoken word (as opposed to one or two entire sentences when I had my Onkyo).

Those of you that can afford to, (and don't want to or can't leave DirecTV, and don't want to wait for DirecTV to fix the problem which will likely be never!), may want to look into a new AMP to greatly reduce your frustration. I am actually enjoying my DirecTV service again.

#499 OFFLINE   txfeinbergs

txfeinbergs

Legend

• Registered
  • 130 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 10:33 AM

FYI, if you don't like Pioneer, what I would recommend is saving a show that has audio drops and marking down exactly when they occur and for how long, then buying an AMP you do like from a local store, trying it out by playing the same show/bad location, and see how the amp handles it. If good, you can either return it and get a cheaper price online for the same amp, or if you got a good deal locally, just keep it.

You can most likely sell your old AMP on ebay to recover some of the cost. That is what I did. Reduced my new receive out of pocket cost to about $200. Not a bad investment to remove the frustration. (plus I got a lot of cool new additional features such as iphone support, 3D capability, etc).

And, before someone says it, yes, I know you should not have to go through this trouble to fix what is clearly a DirecTV problem, but the way I see it, your alternative is to keep being frustrated by it, or change providers (and if you are locked in a contract, that changing providers may not be an option)

#500 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,851 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 05 November 2010 - 12:06 PM

History Channel HD 269> 11/05 @ 1am & 2am "Ancient Aliens" recording was riddled with drop outs.

I notice those too. Real short skips in micro-seconds.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

spam firewall