Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

On which channels do you have audio dropouts?

• Please log in to reply
926 replies to this topic

#501 OFFLINE   jayman9207

jayman9207

Mentor

• Registered
  • 50 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 01:23 PM

FYI, if you don't like Pioneer, what I would recommend is saving a show that has audio drops and marking down exactly when they occur and for how long, then buying an AMP you do like from a local store, trying it out by playing the same show/bad location, and see how the amp handles it. If good, you can either return it and get a cheaper price online for the same amp, or if you got a good deal locally, just keep it.

You can most likely sell your old AMP on ebay to recover some of the cost. That is what I did. Reduced my new receive out of pocket cost to about $200. Not a bad investment to remove the frustration. (plus I got a lot of cool new additional features such as iphone support, 3D capability, etc).

And, before someone says it, yes, I know you should not have to go through this trouble to fix what is clearly a DirecTV problem, but the way I see it, your alternative is to keep being frustrated by it, or change providers (and if you are locked in a contract, that changing providers may not be an option)

We almost need a couple of sub-threads for this thread. One for "I DO have audio dropouts and here is my equipment and setup" and one for "I DON'T have audio dropout and here is my equipment and setup". That way we can list out our equipment, cables, and another devices used in the setup.

Current Equipment & Hookups
HR24-500 -> Yamaha RX-V757 7.1 Receiver -> Panasonic 50" Plasma TC-P50G10
HR24-100 -> Hitachi 42" Plasma 42HDS52
H24-100 -> Dynex 24" LCD DX-24L150A11
H24-100 -> Toshiba 27" Old School SD TV

Others:
HR24-100 - HD died after 6+ months - 3/13/11

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#502 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,467 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 01:40 PM

Well, if they say there is no problem, I guess they are not working on a solution. I must assume most subs use HDMI direct to their TV or through an AVR.

Us poor saps using coax or optical just have to suck it up and deal with it I guess. Not me. I was going to switch completely to Directv but not with this huge annoyance.

Well, I had an Audio Problem where my Audio was switching from Digital to Analog and then back to Digital and then back to Analog and so on...I then switched the Coaxial Digital Audio Cable to Toslink Cable and now the Problem has Vanished. Must be a bad cable or the port is losing sync.
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#503 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,650 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 01:42 PM

Well, I had an Audio Problem where my Audio was switching from Digital to Analog and then back to Digital and then back to Analog and so on...I then switched the Coaxial Digital Audio Cable to Toslink Cable and now the Problem has Vanished. Must be a bad cable or the port is losing sync.

Could be...you've seen firsthand that cables and connectors are in play for those kinds of symptoms.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#504 OFFLINE   jclangston

jclangston

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 07:33 AM

Has anyone noticed that sometimes when you have audio dropout the picture will freeze for a split second? It seems like on some HD channels that if the there is a panning shot the picture will be jerky. I have noticed this on all 3 of my HR-24's. I was noticing it on the History Channel just last night.

#505 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,836 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 06 November 2010 - 11:17 AM

Has anyone noticed that sometimes when you have audio dropout the picture will freeze for a split second? It seems like on some HD channels that if the there is a panning shot the picture will be jerky. I have noticed this on all 3 of my HR-24's. I was noticing it on the History Channel just last night.

Yes, It is like a micro-second skip.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#506 OFFLINE   jclangston

jclangston

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 01:00 PM

Yes, the audio is a micro skip. I have also noticed micro second skips in the video on some of the HD channels. I wonder what causes this problem. Is it a Directv issue or possibly a problem with the 24 series receivers?

#507 OFFLINE   jkf

jkf

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 07:55 PM

Yes, the audio is a micro skip. I have also noticed micro second skips in the video on some of the HD channels. I wonder what causes this problem. Is it a Directv issue or possibly a problem with the 24 series receivers?

Don't know if its just the 24 series, but mine is getting worse. Its a spilit second audio/video hiccup on most stations. However, TLC is by far the worst. Often, the picture will actually freeze like someone has hit the pause button for 1-2 seconds, then begin again.

Signal strengths are fine and the SD feeds do not seem to have this problem.

#508 OFFLINE   armophob

armophob

Difficulty Concen........

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,899 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 08:09 PM

Comedy Central with the DS and CR. Every episode for weeks has audio drops and glitches.

#509 OFFLINE   txfeinbergs

txfeinbergs

Legend

• Registered
  • 125 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 10:04 PM

We almost need a couple of sub-threads for this thread. One for "I DO have audio dropouts and here is my equipment and setup" and one for "I DON'T have audio dropout and here is my equipment and setup". That way we can list out our equipment, cables, and another devices used in the setup.

You will have 3 second audio drop-outs every single time DirecTV glitches with this receiver: Onkyo TX-SR805. (which I can't live with).

You will have 0.5 second audio drop-outs every time DirecTV glitches with this receiver: Pioneer VSX-1120-K 7.1-Channel 3-D Ready A/V Receiver. (which I CAN live with).

I would love to know if any of you have less than 0.5 second audio drop-outs, what receiver you have. Of course, those people probably aren't even visiting this thread since they don't even realize there is a problem.

#510 OFFLINE   txfeinbergs

txfeinbergs

Legend

• Registered
  • 125 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 10:08 PM

Yes, It is like a micro-second skip.

Yes, the problem is just not the audio, it is the entire signal seems to get dropped for a frame or two. Luckily, it doesn't seem to take long for TVs to recover the picture, whereas it can take up to 3 seconds for some amps to recover. Imagine the frustration we would be having if we lost picture for 3 seconds everytime it happened!

#511 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 10:14 PM

You will have 3 second audio drop-outs every single time DirecTV glitches with this receiver: Onkyo TX-SR805. (which I can't live with).

You will have 0.5 second audio drop-outs every time DirecTV glitches with this receiver: Pioneer VSX-1120-K 7.1-Channel 3-D Ready A/V Receiver. (which I CAN live with).

I would love to know if any of you have less than 0.5 second audio drop-outs, what receiver you have. Of course, those people probably aren't even visiting this thread since they don't even realize there is a problem.

1.5 second dropouts with a Denon AVR-687 5.1 fed via toslink optical.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#512 OFFLINE   jclangston

jclangston

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 08:50 AM

I am curious if this dropout is isolated to just one satellite. There are some channels that I don't notice it on, usually my locals are pretty good, espn's are good and others. Then channels that I have issues with are TBS, Bio, History, Discovery, TLC, Travel, and HBO. I'm sure it happens on others but like most people I have about 25 or 30 channels that I actually watch. All the channels I mention are the HD version not SD.

#513 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 09:09 AM

It happens on any channel that uses Mpeg4 and Dolby Digital audio. Some more than others.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#514 OFFLINE   jclangston

jclangston

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 10:27 AM

Well, I guess we just have to deal with it until Directv does something to fix the problem. I hope their engineers are aware of it...

#515 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,467 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 11:53 AM

Well, I guess we just have to deal with it until Directv does something to fix the problem. I hope their engineers are aware of it...

They would have to be Deaf, Dumb and Blind not to be Aware of it.
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#516 OFFLINE   gimp

gimp

AllStar

• Registered
  • 105 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 04:20 PM

Hear on all national HD channels. Most frequent on ComHD Daily Show. HR22-100 connected via HDMI To Denon AVP-A1HDCI.

#517 OFFLINE   betterdan

betterdan

Icon

• Registered
  • 898 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 06:16 PM

They would have to be Deaf, Dumb and Blind not to be Aware of it.

Seems like they may be, since almost a year after the problems started a thread had to be made to help tell them where and when the audio drop outs happen... :nono2:
It would be quicker for them just to tune in their own HD programming than read this whole thread. I imagine they would get several audio drop outs in that time.

#518 OFFLINE   jclangston

jclangston

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 12:40 PM

I think we also need to start a new thread about the video dropout. Most people are experiencing split second video freezing on most HD channels as well.

#519 OFFLINE   john18

john18

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 979 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 06:28 AM

It seemed to me that they had abated for awhile, but they seem to be back on all the HD channels that I watch. They may be slightly shorter in duration, but back just the same.

#520 OFFLINE   Brit_In_NY

Brit_In_NY

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 08:10 AM

This issue alone and DirecTVs inaction is enough for me to cancel it once my commitment period is up. Never had this kind of annoying issue with FIOS and just amazed that D* are blaming my equipment.

Fix the f*****g problem already!

spam firewall