Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

On which channels do you have audio dropouts?

• Please log in to reply
926 replies to this topic

#521 OFFLINE   jkf

jkf

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 04:59 PM

TLC picture and audio freezing for 2-3 seconds at a time at least once an hour. This channel is by far the worst for this problem.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#522 OFFLINE   sooner02

sooner02

Legend

• Registered
  • 104 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 11:32 PM

TLC picture and audio freezing for 2-3 seconds at a time at least once an hour. This channel is by far the worst for this problem.

Wow, I have to agree that TLC has gotten really bad for me too. It's almost unwatchable because it's so bad with audio/video pauses/stuttering/brrrrrping sounds that I am actually missing dialog for the show I'm watching to make any sense.

At first I was worried that this was a DVR problem, since I was watching playback recordings and not the live show, but I also noticed that the glitches occurred on my other DVR (two HR20-700s) at the exact same points in the programs (yes I recorded the same program on both DVRs to test it). I really do hope this is resolved soon, it's gotten to where I can barely watch a show and understand 100% what's being said on TLC.

#523 OFFLINE   john18

john18

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 979 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 08:46 AM

After having gone through a period with minimal audio dropouts they seem to be back and they seem to be happening on all my HD channels. The ones that come to mind immediately would include CNN, Versus, SyFy, ESPN, Discovery and more that I am forgetting at the moment.

#524 OFFLINE   jkf

jkf

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 09:58 AM

Wow, I have to agree that TLC has gotten really bad for me too. It's almost unwatchable because it's so bad with audio/video pauses/stuttering/brrrrrping sounds that I am actually missing dialog for the show I'm watching to make any sense.

At first I was worried that this was a DVR problem, since I was watching playback recordings and not the live show, but I also noticed that the glitches occurred on my other DVR (two HR20-700s) at the exact same points in the programs (yes I recorded the same program on both DVRs to test it). I really do hope this is resolved soon, it's gotten to where I can barely watch a show and understand 100% what's being said on TLC.

Has anyone contacted them and had a response other than plug/unplug the receiver? I have seen this problem on TLC for weeks now on multiple setups in multiple homes. Their engineering department HAS to notice this.

#525 OFFLINE   tjdean

tjdean

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 02:55 PM

I have dropouts on all national HD channels on my HR22-100. AVR is Onkyo
TX-SR505.

#526 ONLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,199 posts
  • LocationGalactic Empire

Posted 14 November 2010 - 03:08 PM

Every NFL ST game I am watching has absolutely NO audio period. In fact, when I tuned to the Jets @ Browns game to check the score, there was NO audio whatsoever. To see how long it would take to come back, I left it on that channel. Get this: 40 minutes later and there is STILL no audio! WTF is that?!?

This has happened on every game I've tuned to, and the only way I can get the audio is to hit the instant replay button and skip back--and leave it there. If I FF to the actual time, the audio comes back, but it's a constant, never-ending stuttering.

This is unbelievable. Absolutely unbelievable!

FAITH: I find the lack of it disturbing.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

#527 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,469 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 03:18 PM

Sounds like the DVR is Rebuffering for some reason. I have had Audio Re-Syncing Problems for about a year now and I am testing my HR24-500 to see if the latest CE might have fixed it as I saw someone report that it did for him.
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#528 ONLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,199 posts
  • LocationGalactic Empire

Posted 14 November 2010 - 03:21 PM

This is happening on my HR20-700s and HR22-100s.

FAITH: I find the lack of it disturbing.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

#529 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,469 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 03:24 PM

When my HR24-500 has an Audio Problem it drops the Dolby Digital Signal and then outputs Audio via my Audio Cables that are Input into my Denon for the Controller that sends audio to my 4 pairs of Klipsch Outdoor Speakers.

Thank God I had the Audio Cables hooked up or I would get nothing.
Here's My Setup

#530 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,229 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 14 November 2010 - 03:36 PM

Has anyone contacted them and had a response other than plug/unplug the receiver? I have seen this problem on TLC for weeks now on multiple setups in multiple homes. Their engineering department HAS to notice this.

I got a suggestion from a CSR to unplug/replug my HDMI connections. Seemed to help for about a week.
Bill

Family room: Sony Bravia KDL-40SL130
Living room: Sceptre 32 inch

#531 OFFLINE   newsposter

newsposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,429 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 07:01 PM

i just received hr20 700 as a PP replacement and in the few days ive had it, i've had zero problems with audio or video stutters...very interesting....keeping my fingers crossed
57 inch Hitachi 57F710S
Tivo Premiere
Panasonic E80 Dvd recorder
HR10-250 63 hrs w/DB8 antenna (parts :))
1/2 full Sony T60 (historical value)

#532 OFFLINE   wxguy

wxguy

AllStar

• Registered
  • 88 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 09:26 AM

Sounds like the DVR is Rebuffering for some reason. I have had Audio Re-Syncing Problems for about a year now and I am testing my HR24-500 to see if the latest CE might have fixed it as I saw someone report that it did for him.

I have been watching a few more programs this past week and note the audio dropout I was having has changed its nature since the undocumented release of x040e. My AVR used to drop the audio and resync when it got the glitch. Now the 22-100 seems to be self muting glitches as they come through and not dropping the audio sync. The result is a shorter glitch period. The AVR would take 2-3 seconds before the sound returned--now the DVR mute is about a second. Somewhat less irritating, but still there although it seems with less frequency. At least they seem to be going the right direction fixing a problem they don't admit they have.:confused:

#533 OFFLINE   Syzygy

Syzygy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 07:53 PM

Suddenly, tonight, one of my two HR24-100s has become completely ususable (except with headphones) because of frequent audio dropouts, occurring a few minutes apart and lasting about a minute each time, on every program I've sampled so far — including old recordings that had played flawlessly over and over. The dropouts occur only on the optical audio output; I have headphones connected to the L/R analog audio outputs, and they're showing no dropouts. Switching Dolby off had no effect on the optical output's dropouts. Sometimes replaying a section with a dropout will produce some audio where there was none before.

A menu reset had no effect.

I guess I should try the digital audio output, although it's a hassle reconfiguring my AVR for that.

The next step, when neither of my HR24-100s is busy recording, would be to swap the DVRs to see if both misbehave the same way. (The two systems' audio paths are very different.)

P.S.: I've been using the same AVR, a Marantz SR-8000, since Oct 2001; it's an old reliable workhorse.

Edited by Syzygy, 21 November 2010 - 11:19 AM.

Frank TiVangelist since Aug 1999, HD since Dec 2002, DirecTV since Aug 2004, DECA/MRV since Nov 2010
HR24-100 > HDMI > Pio 5020FD plasma
HR24-100 > HDMI > Sony KV30HS420 tube

DirecTV & Dish HD Channel Spreadsheet
DirecTV & Dish HD Channels Listed by Package

#534 OFFLINE   Syzygy

Syzygy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 10:16 PM

I guess I should try the digital audio output, although it's a hassle reconfiguring my AVR for that.

The next step, when neither of my HR24-100s is busy recording, would be to swap the DVRs to see if both misbehave the same way...

Well, I tried the plain digital audio output (instead of the optical audio output) and the dropouts persisted — with Dolby both off and on.

Then I played recordings from my deactivated HR10-250, which has a dozen shows yet to be viewed. There were no problems, no dropouts, with the HR10. (It has only HDMI, L/R analog audio, and optical audio output; no plain digital audio output.)
Frank TiVangelist since Aug 1999, HD since Dec 2002, DirecTV since Aug 2004, DECA/MRV since Nov 2010

#535 OFFLINE   Syzygy

Syzygy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 12:52 AM

The next step, when neither of my HR24-100s is busy recording, would be to swap the DVRs to see if both misbehave the same way...

I played recordings from my deactivated HR10-250, which has a dozen shows yet to be viewed. There were no problems, no dropouts, with the HR10...

Finally, I brought the other HR24-100 from the living room to the basement, hooked up the outputs (HDMI, optical audio output; and plain digital audio output), and played some recordings. There were no problems, no dropouts, with the alternate HR24.

But then I reconnected the original HR24 and could not duplicate the dropout problem anymore! Hmmm, maybe it'll reappear tomorrow...

#536 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,469 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 05:50 AM

The Audio Problem has been around awhile and I think they may have fixed it with the latest CE as has been reported by a couple of Posters and I haven't seen the Audio Switching Problem where it switches from Digital to Analog (I have my Denon AVR5803 on AutoTune) and then later back to Digital and so on and so forth.

The problem is it loses it's sync from what I heard and sometimes changing the inputs helps restore it or Turning Off DD and the back on helps but it did not work for me so I will continue to Monitor this situation today and tomorrow to see it the latest Testing Download fixed it.

Edited by Richierich, 21 November 2010 - 02:25 PM.

Here's My Setup

#537 OFFLINE   Die Hard

Die Hard

Mentor

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 05:37 PM

The Audio Problem has been around awhile and I think they may have fixed it with the latest CE as has been reported by a couple of Posters and I haven't seen the Audio Switching Problem where it switches from Digital to Analog (I have my Denon AVR5803 on AutoTune) and then later back to Digital and so on and so forth.

The problem is it loses it's sync from what I heard and sometimes changing the inputs helps restore it or Turning Off DD and the back on helps but it did not work for me so I will continue to Monitor this situation today and tomorrow to see it the CE Download fixed it.

Yesterday Directv upgraded my system to MRV. This included a new HR24-200 and a H24-100. So, I have the latest software upgrades and I'm still having the same audio dropouts that I' ve had for a year now. I have a Denon AVR1610 and there is nothing on it that I can change to help reduce the audio dropouts.

#538 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,469 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 05:45 PM

Well the latest software Upgrade I was referring to is not the National Release which seemed to have the same problem and hopefully this release will be released Nationally soon and it will clear up the problem for all of us particularly the Denon and Onkyo folks.
Here's My Setup

#539 OFFLINE   tsduke

tsduke

Godfather

• Registered
  • 470 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 09:45 AM

The problem is it loses it's sync from what I heard and sometimes changing the inputs helps restore it or Turning Off DD and the back on helps but it did not work for me so I will continue to Monitor this situation today and tomorrow to see it the CE Download fixed it.

But....I thought it was widely agreed that this was a broadcast issue at Directv and NOT a receiver software issue.:confused:

#540 OFFLINE   Die Hard

Die Hard

Mentor

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 10:27 AM

Well the latest software Upgrade I was referring to is not the National Release which seemed to have the same problem and hopefully this release will be released Nationally soon and it will clear up the problem for all of us particularly the Denon and Onkyo folks.

I apologize, but I'm confused about what this CE download is.
Is this an upgrade just for Denon recievers or is this an Directv upgrade?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...