Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

On which channels do you have audio dropouts?

• Please log in to reply
919 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   bjamin82

bjamin82

Godfather

• Registered
  • 366 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 07:40 AM

Oh, don't for get about PPV, and VOD. Do I need to list those too?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,559 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 03 August 2010 - 07:42 AM

Amazing...you watch all of those?
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#43 OFFLINE   bjamin82

bjamin82

Godfather

• Registered
  • 366 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 07:46 AM

Amazing...you watch all of those?

Within a given week, yup... between my wife, the babysitter, the baseball package so all RSN...

Come on guys... even the D* channel 101 has audio issues.. the excuse of "we just re broadcast what we get" is bull. Its been 9 months a least.

#44 OFFLINE   Hutchinshouse

Hutchinshouse

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 07:52 AM

Far too many to keep track of. I'm hearing drops everyday now.

#45 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,559 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 03 August 2010 - 07:52 AM

Within a given week, yup... between my wife, the babysitter, the baseball package so all RSN...

Come on guys... even the D* channel 101 has audio issues.. the excuse of "we just re broadcast what we get" is bull. Its been 9 months a least.

I wasn't disputing they didn't happen on every channel...I was shocked someone watches every channel. ;)
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#46 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,796 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 03 August 2010 - 08:02 AM

I hear the issue on H21-100, H21-200, HR24-500, HR23-700 and HR22-100, basically all the STB's that I have. On the H21's I use MRV to playback from a HD DVR so at least we know that it's in the data that's being recorded on the harddrive and not in the audio decode on the HD DVR.

The AVR's are Sony STR-DA50ES, Onkyo TX-NR901 and Denon AVR_891. I can eliminate the AVR from the equation since even through the TV's audio speakers I can hear a slight breakup in the audio at the point where the AVR's experience their dropout.

I see there's another showing ot Bull**** on Showtime east/west tomorrow night. I have scheduled to record those showings again to see if the audio breakup happens again at the same spots where the broke up on prior recordings. Maybe you can get your DirecTV contact to also monitor things at their broadcast center to see if it's coming from Showtime as you said in your response or if the signal is clean there and being corupted within DirecTV's infrastructure.

Edited by RAD, 03 August 2010 - 08:29 AM.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#47 OFFLINE   swans

swans

Legend

• Registered
  • 248 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 08:03 AM

HR20-100 digital optical audio cable to JVC RX-7010VBK

SciHD, Morgan Freeman's Through the Wormhole
TNTHD, Rizzoli and Isles, The Closer, Saving Grace
DSCHD, Sharkbite Beach
SyFyHD, Warehouse 13, Eureka
USAHD, Covert Affairs, Psych
NGCHD, Man-Made
TBSHD, My Boys

NOTE: Pretty much every show I have watched since the start of this thread (about 2-3 hours/day) has had at least 1 audio drop-out. I would say on average 2-4 per 1 hour show.

Edited by swans, 07 August 2010 - 07:21 AM.

#48 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,559 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 03 August 2010 - 08:09 AM

OK, now we have the whole DirecTV HD channel line up listed and now maybe we can move on to more productive posts.

Someone asked if I had any updates and I said I had sent a message but not heard a reply.

Today's reply in part:

As you can see they are reading these threads and trying to resolve the problem.

Besides the HD channels, would you all add what AVR you're using or if this is just your TV.

I'm connected via HDMI from a HR24-100 through a Yamaha RX-V465 with DD on. Luckily, the Yamaha handles drops very well with a very very quick drop. I'll try and post a video this week. Basically, the Yamaha front display shows 3 to 6 squares representing each speaker that's outputting. When there's a drop, the squares flash very quickly...literally a half second.

#49 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 41,412 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 08:21 AM

I'm connected via HDMI from a HR24-100 through a Yamaha RX-V465 with DD on. Luckily, the Yamaha handles drops very well with a very very quick drop. I'll try and post a video this week. Basically, the Yamaha front display shows 3 to 6 squares representing each speaker that's outputting. When there's a drop, the squares flash very quickly...literally a half second.

This is much like my Sony STR-DE898, where its DD5.1 blue light will blink and then scroll the type of Dolby it picked up again on the front panel display.
I've used a loaner Sony STR-DH710 that doesn't have a light for DD5.1, so only the display shows its status and this model is much less sensitive and only trips on longer/larger dropouts, which ends up being that I can hear dropouts that the AVR doesn't indicate.
A.K.A VOS

#50 OFFLINE   bjamin82

bjamin82

Godfather

• Registered
  • 366 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 08:27 AM

HR22-100 connected via Optical to Samsung HT-BD1250

#51 OFFLINE   john18

john18

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 968 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 08:59 AM

VOS, do you need us to add the D* requested information in our original post, add it separately or if the information is in our signature that is sufficient?

#52 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 41,412 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 09:00 AM

Why what AVR you're using makes a difference.

From the two models I've used, it's clear the sensitivity of them is different.

One will show a loss of DD5.1 that is so short that I can't hear it and the other doesn't show the loss of DD5.1 when I can hear one.

The cycle time of losing & regaining Dolby are the same and very quick, so the length of the dropout is very short.

It clear there are other AVRs that their cycle time is much longer.

It seems like the worst case would be to have an AVR that is very sensitive and has a long cycle time, as it would trip on a bad bit that wouldn't be heard and then create a dropout that you wouldn't normally hear, while it cycles through losing & regaining the Dolby signal.
A.K.A VOS

#53 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 41,412 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 09:03 AM

VOS, do you need us to add the D* requested information in our original post, add it separately or if the information is in our signature that is sufficient?

I would guess posting it in one of your posts would suffice.
Let's make it easy for them to collect the information and not expect them to search through our setup links.
A.K.A VOS

#54 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,559 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 03 August 2010 - 09:04 AM

Maybe videos would help, too.

#55 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 41,412 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 09:05 AM

Maybe videos would help, too.

"Maybe", but I think they know the issue quite well by now.
A.K.A VOS

#56 OFFLINE   tsduke

tsduke

Godfather

• Registered
  • 462 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 09:08 AM

I really get the dropouts on too many channels to list, but here's a few of the HD channels watched most often by our family that have them.

ESPN
SPEED
FX
FOOD
HGTV
TNT
TBS

My AVR is a is a Denon 2310. The dropouts on it are much shorter than the Onkyo 674 I used to have, but still very annoying.

A comment on the Directv quote about Dish having these dropouts. I have watched a lot of both because some family has Dish. I have yet to hear them on Dish. Also tried recording same show on both systems and I can't find the dropouts on Dish. I also had Dish 2 years ago and never had them like with Directv. I also don't hear them on cable.

#57 OFFLINE   BKC

BKC

Icon

• Banned User
  • 682 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 09:21 AM

That email VoS posted is the biggest bunch of fluff I've ever seen. That's exactly what they do every time I talk to them. They agree with everything you say and try to make you feel important. Then give you a "task" to do so you stay off their backs for awhile.

#58 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,559 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 03 August 2010 - 09:23 AM

"Maybe", but I think they know the issue quite well by now.

I meant in order to display how good/bad some AVR units may handle it.

#59 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 41,412 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 09:32 AM

That email VoS posted is the biggest bunch of fluff I've ever seen. That's exactly what they do every time I talk to them. They agree with everything you say and try to make you feel important. Then give you a "task" to do so you stay off their backs for awhile.

It's either that, or the Broadcast Center engineer in Denver simply doesn't agree with you. ;)
A.K.A VOS

#60 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 41,412 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 09:41 AM

A comment on the Directv quote about Dish having these dropouts. I have watched a lot of both because some family has Dish. I have yet to hear them on Dish. Also tried recording same show on both systems and I can't find the dropouts on Dish. I also had Dish 2 years ago and never had them like with Directv. I also don't hear them on cable.

I left Dish seven years ago, so I don't know first hand about them. There have been posts here from one or more that say they do have them. Cable doesn't have them because they don't use MPEG-4.
A.K.A VOS

spam firewall