Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

On which channels do you have audio dropouts?

• Please log in to reply
928 replies to this topic

#751 OFFLINE   energyx

energyx

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 06:10 AM

I just had service installed on 7-24. Coming from cable, I have to say I am surprised about the bad reputation it gets compared to my problems so far. I too am experiencing audio skips and have done some troubleshooting. I've tried optical, coax and currently analog stereo with the same results. It happens on my HR24 and my H25. The next step is to try component and see if HDMI truly has anything to do with it.

Saturday night, and yesterday at approx 7pm and 10pm NatGeoHD had skipping audio that made it unwatchable on both receivers. Only channel acting this badly that I could find.

Never had this problem with Tivo or Time Warner DVR on cable... very frustrating.

BTW, signals are 85+ on 99c and 95+ on 101.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#752 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 07:24 AM

Saturday night, and yesterday at approx 7pm and 10pm NatGeoHD had skipping audio that made it unwatchable on both receivers. Only channel acting this badly that I could find.

NatGeoHD is one of my worst. I doubt you'll find anything on your end that is causing this, as it seems to be in the SAT feed.
A.K.A VOS

#753 OFFLINE   1953

Icon

• Registered
  • 670 posts
  • LocationDesoto, TX

Posted 08 August 2011 - 08:08 AM

I just had service installed on 7-24. Coming from cable, I have to say I am surprised about the bad reputation it gets compared to my problems so far. I too am experiencing audio skips and have done some troubleshooting. I've tried optical, coax and currently analog stereo with the same results. It happens on my HR24 and my H25. The next step is to try component and see if HDMI truly has anything to do with it.

Never had this problem with Tivo or Time Warner DVR on cable... very frustrating.

BTW, signals are 85+ on 99c and 95+ on 101.

Before going to component cables try this instead. Run your HDMI directly to your HDTV then run an Optical to your AVR (audio video receiver). The 24 DVR series have a known.HDMI audio issue. Solved most if not all of my audio drop out problems.

#754 OFFLINE   1953

Icon

• Registered
  • 670 posts
  • LocationDesoto, TX

Posted 08 August 2011 - 08:16 AM

Forgot to mention the problem seems to stem from the DVR's HDMI to the AVR. I noticed your wrote you had already tried an optical but if your HDMI was still running from your DVR to the AVR the audio problem could still exist.

#755 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 08:19 AM

Forgot to mention the problem seems to stem from the DVR's HDMI to the AVR. I noticed your wrote you had already tried an optical but if your HDMI was still running from your DVR to the AVR the audio problem could still exist.

I was using my H25 last night with NatGeoHD, and there were also video issues, so I tend to think it isn't the DVR.
A.K.A VOS

#756 OFFLINE   1953

Icon

• Registered
  • 670 posts
  • LocationDesoto, TX

Posted 08 August 2011 - 08:33 AM

I was using my H25 last night with NatGeoHD, and there were also video issues, so I tend to think it isn't the DVR.

I would agree there are audio issues with some stations, i.e. NatGeoHD yet I standby my suggestion. Can't hurt to try. :D

#757 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 08:35 AM

I would agree there are audio issues with some stations, i.e. NatGeoHD yet I standby my suggestion. Can't hurt to try. :D

It may not hurt to "go through the drill", to realize it's nothing on your end. ;)
A.K.A VOS

#758 OFFLINE   mklimek

mklimek

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 07:12 PM

Here in Nashville, I'm getting consistent dropouts on the CBS HD channel, but oddly enough, only during nationally televised programming. Once local programming starts, such as the local news, they stop completely.

#759 OFFLINE   jcirinci

jcirinci

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 08:57 PM

I've been reading through the pages of this posting and am sharing the same bad audio drop outs that everyone else has. My primary drop outs are on 11 NBC HD-Local and 229 HGTV. I've had 5 tech visits with the last being today when the top tech in the area visited. They've replaced all the coax in my house (which was prior to this their white 3GHz solid copper core), the 4x8 switch, the LNB, tuned the dish which was way out of tune, and shortened the cable lengths by 80+ feet each. There are zero barrels and all brand new B-Bands. The receivers are 2 HR21 (one 700 one 200), an HR21-Pro which now has a bad tuner 1 and an HR24 which was to replace the HR21-Pro. Signal checks were done at every point and are all within the acceptable db range loss. The top tech (here in San Jose) thinks now it's interference with a baby monitor or some other wireless device that transmits in the 5-800 MHz range. I've disconnected everything and anything that would have been added that could possibly cause interference and no luck. At this point there's nothing left to do except to move to SWM (which I'd be curious if anyone else has tried this) Every single hardware point that I and the top DTV techs have worked are all replaced at this point so there's a pretty good smoking gun pointed at the transmission. Any thoughts ? Can't believe that after being a customer since 1998 I'll be dropping DTV for Comcast if they can't resolve this.
2 HR20/700 0x312, Wed 6/3, 2:23am
2 HR21/700 0x312, Wed 6/3, 2:23am

#760 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 09:16 PM

My local NBC [KCRA] is also the worst here.
There now should be nothing wrong in your system. I'm on a SWiM, so don't change to it thinking it will have any affect.
This comes from problems with the signal being sent to DirecTV, and how the DirecTV MPEG-4 encoders handle [or don't] corrupted bits in the MPEG-2 feed.
You might turn off Dolby [in a receiver] and see if you see any change. If you do, it should further "prove" it's in the feed to your dish and nothing on your end.
I believe it's been 3 years since I too had "the group" out here going over my system, which BTW had zero defects, and they then handed me their cell with the broadcast engineer on the other end.
A.K.A VOS

#761 OFFLINE   jcirinci

jcirinci

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 11:05 PM

Many thanks - I forgot to add I went through the dolby on/off and with/with out receiver in the loop. I agree definitely broadcast at this point. I'm guessing they must have spent at least $1k in parts & labor trying to troubleshoot this. I'm tempted to say that this has happened to me in the past and they rewired the house for the first time because of this. I'm going to try to get these guys back to the house and have them replicate the "call the broadcast engineer" like you did. Also agreed on not switching to SWiM (thanks for the correct spelling) since I have dedicated Cat 5 and dual white coax to each receiver.

My local NBC [KCRA] is also the worst here.
There now should be nothing wrong in your system. I'm on a SWiM, so don't change to it thinking it will have any affect.
This comes from problems with the signal being sent to DirecTV, and how the DirecTV MPEG-4 encoders handle [or don't] corrupted bits in the MPEG-2 feed.
You might turn off Dolby [in a receiver] and see if you see any change. If you do, it should further "prove" it's in the feed to your dish and nothing on your end.
I believe it's been 3 years since I too had "the group" out here going over my system, which BTW had zero defects, and they then handed me their cell with the broadcast engineer on the other end.

2 HR20/700 0x312, Wed 6/3, 2:23am
2 HR21/700 0x312, Wed 6/3, 2:23am

#762 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 06:59 AM

Many thanks - I'm going to try to get these guys back to the house and have them replicate the "call the broadcast engineer" like you did. Also agreed on not switching to SWiM (thanks for the correct spelling) since I have dedicated Cat 5 and dual white coax to each receiver.

I had gone through Ellen's group: ellen.filipiak@directv.com
To get these guy's out. One was a field engineer, another the regional manager, with the latter the one who handed me the phone.
The broadcast engineer is known to be reading this thread BTW.
I'll PM him your post.
A.K.A VOS

#763 OFFLINE   freshone

freshone

AllStar

• Registered
  • 55 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 09:33 AM

I have an audio issue that started about a few weeks ago. It effects every TV so I don't think it's a TV/Receiver issue though. I have DTV coming tomorrow but I would like to have an idea of what it *may* be.

All three TV's, when you start them come up with no sound. You have to channel up and back and then wallah, sound is back. This goes for changing channels too. Very frustrating. But here's the strange part. Stuff on my DVR that I KNOW had sound when I watched does not any more. So I am totally baffled as to what the issue is.

Hopefully the tech can solve it but. I have a standard old non DVR HD receiver and an HR-20 if that helps but like I said. All TVs have the issue and thats fine. But the playback on the DVR sound? That concerns me.

Thanks.

#764 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 09:46 AM

I have an audio issue that started about a few weeks ago. It effects every TV so I don't think it's a TV/Receiver issue though. I have DTV coming tomorrow but I would like to have an idea of what it *may* be.

All three TV's, when you start them come up with no sound. You have to channel up and back and then wallah, sound is back. This goes for changing channels too. Very frustrating. But here's the strange part. Stuff on my DVR that I KNOW had sound when I watched does not any more. So I am totally baffled as to what the issue is.

Hopefully the tech can solve it but. I have a standard old non DVR HD receiver and an HR-20 if that helps but like I said. All TVs have the issue and thats fine. But the playback on the DVR sound? That concerns me.

Thanks.

I don't think this has anything to do with the thread topic, which is about problems that aren't related to customer's systems.

I'm not sure why this is happening to all your TVs, but I know I don't have this problem, so without knowing which channels these are to check, it wouldn't seem to be coming from DirecTV's feed.
Hopefully the tech will find the source of the problem.
A.K.A VOS

#765 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 01:48 PM

I'm going to try to get these guys back to the house.

So after checking with "my people", the problems is known to be Dolby packet errors incoming to DirecTV.
It was also suggested to stop requesting techs since it won't change anything, which is why I started this thread.
They have read your post, so you've been heard. :)
A.K.A VOS

#766 OFFLINE   phelme

phelme

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 02:12 PM

The "brrrrriiiiip" phenomenon ( is that the official spelling by the way: 5 "r's" and 5 "i's"? ;) ) is rampant for me lately. This has been going on for a while, but seems to have picked up a head of steam this summer. Doesn't appear to be any channel that's immune to it: HBO, FX, HGTV, FOOD, local broadcast, doesn't matter.

This discussion has been going on for years, yet there still seems to be confusion out there as to whether this occurs at the residence or the broadcasters. Which is it? Should I bother replacing my old H20-100 & H21-100? Will it make a lick of difference?

I came here from the old thread and I have to say, the title of that thread is appropriate as far as I'm concerned. It's not just audio dropouts, brrrrriiiiip lives on.

#767 OFFLINE   pinkertonfloyd

pinkertonfloyd

Legend

• Registered
  • 164 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 03:47 PM

So after checking with "my people", the problems is known to be Dolby packet errors incoming to DirecTV.
It was also suggested to stop requesting techs since it won't change anything, which is why I started this thread.
They have read your post, so you've been heard. :)

Dumb question, why doesn't other<tm> carriers seem to have this issue. (although I hear Dish Network has an issue too). I took a 2 year sabbatical to a FTTH provider in my area (Surewest) who didn't have this issue one bit. (their only issue was $$$ kept creeping up with "fees") They're also doing the MPEG-2 to MPEG-4 switcharoo too (I've heard that excuse). Bad CODEC on DTV's end?

#768 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 05:17 PM

Dumb question, why doesn't other<tm> carriers seem to have this issue. (although I hear Dish Network has an issue too). I took a 2 year sabbatical to a FTTH provider in my area (Surewest) who didn't have this issue one bit. (their only issue was $$$ kept creeping up with "fees") They're also doing the MPEG-2 to MPEG-4 switcharoo too (I've heard that excuse). Bad CODEC on DTV's end?

It comes down to the transcoders being used to do the MPEG-2 to MPEG-4.
"If" someone else is doing this on the fly and not having these, they must be using a different manufacturer's.
A.K.A VOS

#769 ONLINE   keenan

keenan

Godfather

• Registered
  • 548 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 12:39 AM

Looks like the audio dropout problem has infected the graphics on TV as well.:D

Posted Image

#770 OFFLINE   Ed Campbell

Ed Campbell

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 06:08 AM

Dropouts daily on Bloomberg TV.

Yes, it might be nice as well if D* finally gave us the HD feed.

#771 OFFLINE   I WANT MORE

I WANT MORE

CowboySooner

• Registered
  • 1,207 posts
  • LocationNorthern plains

Posted 10 September 2011 - 07:46 AM

ESPNU right now.
Perhaps I Misremembered.

#772 OFFLINE   haas

haas

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 36 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 07:35 PM

I am experiencing just quick one second audio drops ever since switching on dolby digital. Before that I never noticed them. New install about 30 days ago.

Are these the types of dropouts you guys are talking about? It is happening during monday night foootball tonight.

#773 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 08:47 PM

I am experiencing just quick one second audio drops ever since switching on dolby digital. Before that I never noticed them. New install about 30 days ago.

Are these the types of dropouts you guys are talking about? It is happening during monday night foootball tonight.

Sure sounds like it, so there won't be much you can do on your end to resolve this "other than" complaining to DirecTV.
A.K.A VOS

#774 OFFLINE   haas

haas

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 36 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 08:54 PM

Sure sounds like it, so there won't be much you can do on your end to resolve this "other than" complaining to DirecTV.

Just finished moving my H24 to to the digital coax connection instead of audio over HDMI just to make sure. Sounds like a lot of people have be "complaining" to DirecTV and they still haven't been able to find "fix"? :confused:

#775 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 09:01 PM

Just finished moving my H24 to to the digital coax connection instead of audio over HDMI just to make sure. Sounds like a lot of people have be "complaining" to DirecTV and they still haven't been able to find "fix"? :confused:

Well they sure haven't made them all go away, but they have gotten better and this is mostly by DirecTV working with the program provider to improve their feed to DirecTV.
A.K.A VOS

Protected By... spam firewall...And...