Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

On which channels do you have audio dropouts?

• Please log in to reply
928 replies to this topic

#826 OFFLINE   1948GG

1948GG

Icon

• Registered
  • 917 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 03:46 PM

Complaining to the program supplier is the tail wagging the dog. The problem is with DirecTV, not the supplier. If it was the supplier, cable, DISH, OTA, you name it, would have the problem as well, and they DO NOT.

If I was the engineer at that station, I'd tell the viewer straight out it's DirecTV's problem, and there IS NOTHING anyone can do (except for DirecTV) to cure it. Period.

If one listens VERY CAREFULLY even to PCM and analog outputs from the reciever/dvr's, the 'gaps' are still there, just not as jarring as the Dolby 5.1 audio. They are there even on the 'music only' channels in the 800's. LISTEN CAREFULLY.

This problem is due to the way DirecTV has designed (and the equipment used in) their plant. To cure it will take a large effort (and money) to re-engineer and 'do it right', like it should have been done in the first place.

I'm moving in the next few months onto FIOS, if it still exists by the time I do (Verizon and Frontier are both being told by Wall St. to 'shut it down'), and keep DirecTV purely for the sports subscriptions (ExInn/Sunday Ticket). My local friends on both Comcast, FIOS, and DISH have no problems on the very same channels I continually have problems.

This is the bottom line; really, STOP telling folks to complain to their local program supplier, and if they do, tell the chief engineer (if they still have one, most stations no longer do) to tell DirecTV to get off it's rear and FIX the problem.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#827 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 42,197 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 04:11 PM

This is the bottom line; really, STOP telling folks to complain to their local program supplier, and if they do, tell the chief engineer (if they still have one, most stations no longer do) to tell DirecTV to get off it's rear and FIX the problem.

Maybe everyone's "bottom line" is slightly different.
I know from taking to a CBS engineer [who sometimes visits this site] that he was able to get DirecTV to work with him and improve the problem. With another station, not so much, but their OTA was crap too.

Since I've moved, I have different locals and can't say I've noticed the problem. "YMMV"
A.K.A VOS

#828 OFFLINE   jbail51

jbail51

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 03:33 PM

When it's really bad, it happens every 20 t0 30 seconds, very annoying.

For the last 3 days, have not had any audio dropouts on my locals in DC area. Knock on wood , hope it lasts. hope everyone else has good fortune with their dropout issues...

#829 OFFLINE   rayjoe2

rayjoe2

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 09:41 AM

Had NBC (chnl 10) (WAVY) dropping in and out during the SuperBowl yesterday. Confirmed with a buddy to rulle my system out. OTA was solid as was the SD broadcast. Most noticable during the 2nd QTR and was fixed within about 10-15 Mins.
Mits WD-82837-->HDMI-->HR34-700 networked
Samsung 46R66-->HDMI-->HR22-100 networked
Vizio VW26L-->HDMI-->HR22-100 networked
INSIGNA 22LCD-->HDMI>H21-200

#830 OFFLINE   AquiringSat

AquiringSat

AllStar

• Registered
  • 98 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 08:16 PM

Coyotes/Flames game tonight has HORRIBLE Sound on both channels 695-1 and 780-1, and I just checked the SD versions and they're even Worse! It's Very Low Volume too :confused:

#831 OFFLINE   mark40511

mark40511

Legend

• Registered
  • 132 posts
  • LocationLexington KY

Posted 07 May 2012 - 05:03 PM

Yesterday, I noticed this problem on FX HD and Spike HD, TBS HD and CNN. (at least as of now, that's the only channels I noticed them on.) That's what brought me to this post. It doesn't matter if it's recorded or live or if you skip back to buffer - it was still doing it. I thought this was resolved a long time ago, because I haven't noticed it in a while. These were like the old "hiccup" pic/audio dropouts that used to happen on certain HD channels back when I first got D* three or so years ago.

#832 OFFLINE   VicF

VicF

AllStar

• Registered
  • 70 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 05:37 PM

ABC Sacramento has been a nightmare for months now. I am 35 mi from the antenna and I get a few off the antenna but D* is really bad.
Whole Home, HR-24 - Samsung Plasma,

#833 OFFLINE   Joe Schmuck

Joe Schmuck

AllStar

• Registered
  • 76 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 07:23 PM

For the past 2 weeks it's been very bad for me. It's not like the audio drops out, it's more like the audio isn't being decoded properly when I set the DVR to output Dolby Digital. I can force my A/V reciever to play stereo or mono to get the audio but it I set it to Dolby Digital it will output sound from the other channels, not the center channel at all. Weird.

Setting the DVR to PCM solves the issue in the fact I get the front speakers working but I no longer have Dolby Digital so no surrounds.

This all started up about 2 weeks ago and only happens on certain channels, not all of them. TNT, USA, and some of my locals for instance have the problem all the time.

I've set the DVRs to PCM for now and will check back periodically hoping that DD is fixed.
Engineer by day, Rocket Scientist by night... Or do I got that backwards #$@! :)

#834 OFFLINE   durian

durian

Mentor

• Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 04:41 AM

Since mtv came back on, it flickers constantly, audio doesn't match the lips of people speaking and is dropping out. Basically cannot watch the channel most of the time.

#835 OFFLINE   1953

Icon

• Registered
  • 683 posts
  • LocationDesoto, TX

Posted 29 July 2012 - 08:59 AM

Since mtv came back on, it flickers constantly, audio doesn't match the lips of people speaking and is dropping out. Basically cannot watch the channel most of the time.

Unplug your receiver for about 30 minutes then after the system is back up see if that helps. Since MTV quit being MTV I took them off.

Your problem may be all the acid MTV did back in the day. :eek2:

#836 OFFLINE   Joe Schmuck

Joe Schmuck

AllStar

• Registered
  • 76 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 03:26 AM

This all started up about 2 weeks ago and only happens on certain channels, not all of them. TNT, USA, and some of my locals for instance have the problem all the time.

I've set the DVRs to PCM for now and will check back periodically hoping that DD is fixed.

The problem fixed itself once I reconnected the center channel speaker :nono2:

Some how a wire came loose and since my speakers sounded so good, I could never tell the center channel was gone during a non-DD audio, only when there was a true center channel did it sound like crap because I was missing the center channel speaker.
Engineer by day, Rocket Scientist by night... Or do I got that backwards #$@! :)

#837 OFFLINE   1953

Icon

• Registered
  • 683 posts
  • LocationDesoto, TX

Posted 31 July 2012 - 06:50 AM

The problem fixed itself once I reconnected the center channel speaker :nono2:

Some how a wire came loose and since my speakers sounded so good, I could never tell the center channel was gone during a non-DD audio, only when there was a true center channel did it sound like crap because I was missing the center channel speaker.

That's happened to me before. :(

#838 OFFLINE   boogerbomb

boogerbomb

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 05:28 PM

Hmm one of the reasons I was considering switching from Uverse to DirecTV was that I cannot watch a 1080i HD program and get 5.1 audio. AT&T has no clue how to fix it and has given up on the issue. So I can only get HD audio if I set the HD streams to only 720p.

I was hoping that DirecTV didnt have that bad of an issue. For me, it happens on all HD stations. Is it as bad with DirecTV?

#839 OFFLINE   Joe Schmuck

Joe Schmuck

AllStar

• Registered
  • 76 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 03:23 AM

Hmm one of the reasons I was considering switching from Uverse to DirecTV was that I cannot watch a 1080i HD program and get 5.1 audio. AT&T has no clue how to fix it and has given up on the issue. So I can only get HD audio if I set the HD streams to only 720p.

I was hoping that DirecTV didnt have that bad of an issue. For me, it happens on all HD stations. Is it as bad with DirecTV?

Dolby Digital is separate from the picture quality with DirecTv. You need to change the default from PCM to DD and you will get DD on channels that are transmitting DD. DirecTv is pretty good about it but unfortunately not all channels are DD.

#840 OFFLINE   orbeavhawk

orbeavhawk

Mentor

• Registered
  • 37 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 11:32 AM

Dolby Digital is separate from the picture quality with DirecTv. You need to change the default from PCM to DD and you will get DD on channels that are transmitting DD. DirecTv is pretty good about it but unfortunately not all channels are DD.

This has been TRUE for me too for the past 1 1/2 yrs - but as of 9/1 I have started getting DD, loss of synch issues, on ABC, CBS, NBC, and FOX. I use the 24/500 DVR Receiver and it is and has been set on DD all this time. Using HDMI Cables I/O.......tried also installing an Optical/Cigital Cable yesterday to see if that would change things - BUT it has not. DTV tells me it is on my end..........but "common sense" tells me different......because I ONLY get these irritating drop outs of audio [split second to 5-15 seconds] while watching those major networks. IF it was on my end I would think that ALL their channels would be acting this way.
HATE to go back to Comcast...........but in a few more months now I have to consider it...........YUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad:

#841 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 42,197 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 11:58 AM

This has been TRUE for me too for the past 1 1/2 yrs - but as of 9/1 I have started getting DD, loss of synch issues, on ABC, CBS, NBC, and FOX. I use the 24/500 DVR Receiver and it is and has been set on DD all this time. Using HDMI Cables I/O.......tried also installing an Optical/Cigital Cable yesterday to see if that would change things - BUT it has not. DTV tells me it is on my end..........but "common sense" tells me different......because I ONLY get these irritating drop outs of audio [split second to 5-15 seconds] while watching those major networks. IF it was on my end I would think that ALL their channels would be acting this way.
HATE to go back to Comcast...........but in a few more months now I have to consider it...........YUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad:

This sounds very much like a problem I had a few years ago.
I'd suggest emailing ellen.filipiak@directv.com
Explain the problem and how it's only with your local HD channels.
One of Ellen's group should contact you.
A.K.A VOS

#842 OFFLINE   orbeavhawk

orbeavhawk

Mentor

• Registered
  • 37 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 01:25 PM

VeryOLDschool---------THANKS! Sent her an EMail, hope/pray she can help - I called DTV Tech S. again to NO avail.........she tried to get me to sign up for their Service program for $5.99 a month.......then a repair man will come out.
Hope to not have to,,,,can't afford DTV the way it is!:sure:

#843 OFFLINE   242424

AllStar

• Registered
  • 266 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 03:26 PM

Get ready for the "We haven't heard of that and we will escalate it to out engineers" reply

#844 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 42,197 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 03:39 PM

Get ready for the "We haven't heard of that and we will escalate it to out engineers" reply

Guess that might depend on how well you can explain the problem.
Ellen's group can be fairly good at getting the right attention to the problem.
A.K.A VOS

#845 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,007 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 05 September 2012 - 03:44 PM

I'd guess it's very unlikely even the best tech at your house can fix this. It really sounds like an uplink problem, and that needs to be addressed at a higher level- unless your locals are on a Sat. that's different from the channels you normally watch; then it could be a dish alignment matter.

It'd be odd if others with DIRECTV® in your area aren't also having problems with the locals, again, unless it's a dish pointing thing.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#846 OFFLINE   celticpride

celticpride

Icon

• Registered
  • 970 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 05:16 PM

WOW! i cant believe this stuff is still going on after 2 and a half years thats when i left directv and i use to have problems with dropouts on my av receiver,but i dont remember what channels the drop outs were on.

#847 OFFLINE   orbeavhawk

orbeavhawk

Mentor

• Registered
  • 37 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 11:27 AM

I'd guess it's very unlikely even the best tech at your house can fix this. It really sounds like an uplink problem, and that needs to be addressed at a higher level- unless your locals are on a Sat. that's different from the channels you normally watch; then it could be a dish alignment matter.

It'd be odd if others with DIRECTV® in your area aren't also having problems with the locals, again, unless it's a dish pointing thing.

THANKS for input.....have not heard back from "ellen" [above link].
ALL of my channels are off their SAT[s] so, from what you say, I just may need my Dish re-aligned??? Does stand to reason when one thinks about it because I am getting this terrible problem ONLY from that small group of local channels.
Tech Support yesterday wanted me to disconnect my HDMI from the way I presently have it connected and go Direct into the TV rather than the AVR....I did'nt do that and have'nt done it YET.......know of course what they expect this to tell us BUT I don't know......the AVR puts out DD MultiChannel Audio....this is going out of synch.........the TV I don't believe handles DD multi-channel audio [stereo is it's max] - so that test may not be relevant??? [she could not tell me if alot of people in my area were having same problem]

Also....she told me IF I sign up for their $5.99/mo Service Policy that they would send out someone to fix me up........or pay a one time fee of $29.95.

Will that self test built into the DVR software spot if the dish is out of alignment in any areas?

TKS michael

#848 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,007 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 12:08 PM

Yes, do the recommended test! I didn't realize you had it run through an AVR.

Others here are much better on reading the results of sat. strength, but you could begin by posting the signal strengths of each transponder. Quite a lot when you hit 'em all.

Some one else may be able to say which sat. and transponder carries your locals. Then if you compare other reception with channels on the same sat, you may get a fix if it's an alignment problem.

But, then, it may come down some change the local uplink has experienced.

#849 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 42,197 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 12:16 PM

But, then, it may come down some change the local uplink has experienced.

"Normally" if this is happening only on the local HD channels, alignment shouldn't be the problem.
Local spots have a bit more power than the CONUS, so one might expect problems with the national channels first, if alignment was the cause.
A.K.A VOS

#850 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,007 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 02:14 PM

"Normally" if this is happening only on the local HD channels, alignment shouldn't be the problem.
Local spots have a bit more power than the CONUS, so one might expect problems with the national channels first, if alignment was the cause.

I am reminded of the song "Fishin' in the Dark", which is what I am doing, mas o menos .:eek2:

If it's some glitch in the local uplink, alignment of dish shrinks to almost nothing as a possible cause. My theory holds water only if the locals are on a sat with a location that just got lost due to a Carrier Pigeon striking the dish....;)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...