Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

On which channels do you have audio dropouts?

• Please log in to reply
926 replies to this topic

#741 OFFLINE   GregLee

GregLee

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 06:35 PM

I get audio dropouts of about 3 seconds on my HR24-500 playing DD audio via hdmi through an Onkyo tx-nr3008. It didn't always happen -- the first two months I had this Onkyo AVR, I didn't hear any dropouts, then I started to hear them several months ago. Before I got the Onkyo, I used a Pioneer 1020 with this HR24-500, and I now use a Pioneer 820 AVR with another HR24-500, but I don't hear these dropouts using a Pioneer AVR.

The dropouts happen (usually) after changing channels or (rarely) going from a commercial break back to a regular program. The sound ceases, then 3 seconds later I hear a click from the receiver, and the sound returns. If I want to hear the sound I missed, I can hit the replay or rewind buttons -- the sound is audible when replayed.

While the Onkyo does produce a clicking sound when changing 9.2 speaker modes using back surround speakers to a mode using front height speakers, in my opinion, this is unrelated.

I'm sorry that I can't answer the question about which channels have dropouts. They're on lots of different channels -- I haven't noticed any systematicity. I don't know whether it happens on SD channels, since the dropouts are rare and sporadic, and I seldom watch SD channels.
Greg

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#742 OFFLINE   mattebury1

mattebury1

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 06:53 AM

I too have had the same issues since 2009. Numerous dish realignments and service calls did nothing to fix the problem. This is not AVR manufacture specific as to many brands are affected. I also notice that the dropouts are worse some times and less so other times. I agree with the assessments that this is a Sat\Transmission or relay issue and no amount of tweaking is going to fix it.

#743 OFFLINE   1953

Icon

• Registered
  • 616 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 07:26 AM

I too have had the same issues since 2009. Numerous dish realignments and service calls did nothing to fix the problem. This is not AVR manufacture specific as to many brands are affected. I also notice that the dropouts are worse some times and less so other times. I agree with the assessments that this is a Sat\Transmission or relay issue and no amount of tweaking is going to fix it.

I too experienced audio dropouts until I routed my HDMI cable directly to my HDTV then routed audio via an Optical cable to my AVR. No audio dropouts since that time.*

As a side note, I earlier discovered the previous HDMI cable routinely dislodged from my HD-DVR. Replacing the HDMI cable helped yet audio drop outs continued to a lesser extent until I changed to the cabling setup as described above.

For my Blu-Ray and HD-DVD I continue to route each via HDMI cable to my AVR and HDMI cable from the AVR to HDTV.

*Give this cabling setup a try and let us know the results.

Good luck.

#744 OFFLINE   mini1

mini1

Icon

• Registered
  • 861 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 07:55 PM

Can someone tune to History HD right now and see if they are hearing the same thing? The audio just started dropping out like crazy every other second and it sounds people are speaking in a tin can. The audio is also about 2-3 seconds behind the picture.

#745 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,998 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 31 July 2011 - 08:07 PM

Yep, same here.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#746 OFFLINE   tsduke

tsduke

Godfather

• Registered
  • 470 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 08:53 PM

Yup. I watched Ice Road Truckers on my dvr. Last 10 or so minutes of it had the crappy audio.

#747 OFFLINE   Taltizer

Taltizer

Legend

• Registered
  • 189 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 09:33 PM

The last 10 mins of Ice Road Truckers was crap the audio was really messed up like it was skipping thru the last 10 mins.And sort of and echo sound.It was really bad.

#748 OFFLINE   subeluvr

subeluvr

Icon

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmatio
  • 534 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 09:05 AM

The last 10 mins of Ice Road Truckers was crap the audio was really messed up like it was skipping thru the last 10 mins.And sort of and echo sound.It was really bad.

Same here in the SW...

#749 OFFLINE   pinkertonfloyd

pinkertonfloyd

Legend

• Registered
  • 147 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 11:06 PM

Disney Channel East had a ton of quick dropouts on the DD audio (PCM was fine when using the replay). Most of them occurred during Phineas and Ferb's across the 2nd dimension on Friday Evening.

I get a lot of the quick drops, usually loosing a word. I have a year old Denon AVR-1610 receiver... it doesn't loose the stream (no clicking, or display showing signal lock loss) it seems as if DTV is simply sending dead audio.

#750 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,909 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 07 August 2011 - 11:43 AM

Had 'em all day on almost every channel. Not there today.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#751 OFFLINE   energyx

energyx

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 06:10 AM

I just had service installed on 7-24. Coming from cable, I have to say I am surprised about the bad reputation it gets compared to my problems so far. I too am experiencing audio skips and have done some troubleshooting. I've tried optical, coax and currently analog stereo with the same results. It happens on my HR24 and my H25. The next step is to try component and see if HDMI truly has anything to do with it.

Saturday night, and yesterday at approx 7pm and 10pm NatGeoHD had skipping audio that made it unwatchable on both receivers. Only channel acting this badly that I could find.

Never had this problem with Tivo or Time Warner DVR on cable... very frustrating.

BTW, signals are 85+ on 99c and 95+ on 101.

#752 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 41,768 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 07:24 AM

Saturday night, and yesterday at approx 7pm and 10pm NatGeoHD had skipping audio that made it unwatchable on both receivers. Only channel acting this badly that I could find.

NatGeoHD is one of my worst. I doubt you'll find anything on your end that is causing this, as it seems to be in the SAT feed.
A.K.A VOS

#753 OFFLINE   1953

Icon

• Registered
  • 616 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 08:08 AM

I just had service installed on 7-24. Coming from cable, I have to say I am surprised about the bad reputation it gets compared to my problems so far. I too am experiencing audio skips and have done some troubleshooting. I've tried optical, coax and currently analog stereo with the same results. It happens on my HR24 and my H25. The next step is to try component and see if HDMI truly has anything to do with it.

Never had this problem with Tivo or Time Warner DVR on cable... very frustrating.

BTW, signals are 85+ on 99c and 95+ on 101.

Before going to component cables try this instead. Run your HDMI directly to your HDTV then run an Optical to your AVR (audio video receiver). The 24 DVR series have a known.HDMI audio issue. Solved most if not all of my audio drop out problems.

#754 OFFLINE   1953

Icon

• Registered
  • 616 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 08:16 AM

Forgot to mention the problem seems to stem from the DVR's HDMI to the AVR. I noticed your wrote you had already tried an optical but if your HDMI was still running from your DVR to the AVR the audio problem could still exist.

#755 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 41,768 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 08:19 AM

Forgot to mention the problem seems to stem from the DVR's HDMI to the AVR. I noticed your wrote you had already tried an optical but if your HDMI was still running from your DVR to the AVR the audio problem could still exist.

I was using my H25 last night with NatGeoHD, and there were also video issues, so I tend to think it isn't the DVR.
A.K.A VOS

#756 OFFLINE   1953

Icon

• Registered
  • 616 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 08:33 AM

I was using my H25 last night with NatGeoHD, and there were also video issues, so I tend to think it isn't the DVR.

I would agree there are audio issues with some stations, i.e. NatGeoHD yet I standby my suggestion. Can't hurt to try. :D

#757 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 41,768 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 08:35 AM

I would agree there are audio issues with some stations, i.e. NatGeoHD yet I standby my suggestion. Can't hurt to try. :D

It may not hurt to "go through the drill", to realize it's nothing on your end. ;)
A.K.A VOS

#758 OFFLINE   mklimek

mklimek

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 07:12 PM

Here in Nashville, I'm getting consistent dropouts on the CBS HD channel, but oddly enough, only during nationally televised programming. Once local programming starts, such as the local news, they stop completely.

#759 OFFLINE   jcirinci

jcirinci

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 08:57 PM

I've been reading through the pages of this posting and am sharing the same bad audio drop outs that everyone else has. My primary drop outs are on 11 NBC HD-Local and 229 HGTV. I've had 5 tech visits with the last being today when the top tech in the area visited. They've replaced all the coax in my house (which was prior to this their white 3GHz solid copper core), the 4x8 switch, the LNB, tuned the dish which was way out of tune, and shortened the cable lengths by 80+ feet each. There are zero barrels and all brand new B-Bands. The receivers are 2 HR21 (one 700 one 200), an HR21-Pro which now has a bad tuner 1 and an HR24 which was to replace the HR21-Pro. Signal checks were done at every point and are all within the acceptable db range loss. The top tech (here in San Jose) thinks now it's interference with a baby monitor or some other wireless device that transmits in the 5-800 MHz range. I've disconnected everything and anything that would have been added that could possibly cause interference and no luck. At this point there's nothing left to do except to move to SWM (which I'd be curious if anyone else has tried this) Every single hardware point that I and the top DTV techs have worked are all replaced at this point so there's a pretty good smoking gun pointed at the transmission. Any thoughts ? Can't believe that after being a customer since 1998 I'll be dropping DTV for Comcast if they can't resolve this.
2 HR20/700 0x312, Wed 6/3, 2:23am
2 HR21/700 0x312, Wed 6/3, 2:23am

#760 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 41,768 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 09:16 PM

My local NBC [KCRA] is also the worst here.
There now should be nothing wrong in your system. I'm on a SWiM, so don't change to it thinking it will have any affect.
This comes from problems with the signal being sent to DirecTV, and how the DirecTV MPEG-4 encoders handle [or don't] corrupted bits in the MPEG-2 feed.
You might turn off Dolby [in a receiver] and see if you see any change. If you do, it should further "prove" it's in the feed to your dish and nothing on your end.
I believe it's been 3 years since I too had "the group" out here going over my system, which BTW had zero defects, and they then handed me their cell with the broadcast engineer on the other end.
A.K.A VOS

Protected By... spam firewall...And...