Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

On which channels do you have audio dropouts?

• Please log in to reply
928 replies to this topic

#761 OFFLINE   jcirinci

jcirinci

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 11:05 PM

Many thanks - I forgot to add I went through the dolby on/off and with/with out receiver in the loop. I agree definitely broadcast at this point. I'm guessing they must have spent at least $1k in parts & labor trying to troubleshoot this. I'm tempted to say that this has happened to me in the past and they rewired the house for the first time because of this. I'm going to try to get these guys back to the house and have them replicate the "call the broadcast engineer" like you did. Also agreed on not switching to SWiM (thanks for the correct spelling) since I have dedicated Cat 5 and dual white coax to each receiver.

My local NBC [KCRA] is also the worst here.
There now should be nothing wrong in your system. I'm on a SWiM, so don't change to it thinking it will have any affect.
This comes from problems with the signal being sent to DirecTV, and how the DirecTV MPEG-4 encoders handle [or don't] corrupted bits in the MPEG-2 feed.
You might turn off Dolby [in a receiver] and see if you see any change. If you do, it should further "prove" it's in the feed to your dish and nothing on your end.
I believe it's been 3 years since I too had "the group" out here going over my system, which BTW had zero defects, and they then handed me their cell with the broadcast engineer on the other end.

2 HR20/700 0x312, Wed 6/3, 2:23am
2 HR21/700 0x312, Wed 6/3, 2:23am

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#762 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 41,955 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 06:59 AM

Many thanks - I'm going to try to get these guys back to the house and have them replicate the "call the broadcast engineer" like you did. Also agreed on not switching to SWiM (thanks for the correct spelling) since I have dedicated Cat 5 and dual white coax to each receiver.

I had gone through Ellen's group: ellen.filipiak@directv.com
To get these guy's out. One was a field engineer, another the regional manager, with the latter the one who handed me the phone.
The broadcast engineer is known to be reading this thread BTW.
I'll PM him your post.
A.K.A VOS

#763 OFFLINE   freshone

freshone

AllStar

• Registered
  • 55 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 09:33 AM

I have an audio issue that started about a few weeks ago. It effects every TV so I don't think it's a TV/Receiver issue though. I have DTV coming tomorrow but I would like to have an idea of what it *may* be.

All three TV's, when you start them come up with no sound. You have to channel up and back and then wallah, sound is back. This goes for changing channels too. Very frustrating. But here's the strange part. Stuff on my DVR that I KNOW had sound when I watched does not any more. So I am totally baffled as to what the issue is.

Hopefully the tech can solve it but. I have a standard old non DVR HD receiver and an HR-20 if that helps but like I said. All TVs have the issue and thats fine. But the playback on the DVR sound? That concerns me.

Thanks.

#764 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 41,955 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 09:46 AM

I have an audio issue that started about a few weeks ago. It effects every TV so I don't think it's a TV/Receiver issue though. I have DTV coming tomorrow but I would like to have an idea of what it *may* be.

All three TV's, when you start them come up with no sound. You have to channel up and back and then wallah, sound is back. This goes for changing channels too. Very frustrating. But here's the strange part. Stuff on my DVR that I KNOW had sound when I watched does not any more. So I am totally baffled as to what the issue is.

Hopefully the tech can solve it but. I have a standard old non DVR HD receiver and an HR-20 if that helps but like I said. All TVs have the issue and thats fine. But the playback on the DVR sound? That concerns me.

Thanks.

I don't think this has anything to do with the thread topic, which is about problems that aren't related to customer's systems.

I'm not sure why this is happening to all your TVs, but I know I don't have this problem, so without knowing which channels these are to check, it wouldn't seem to be coming from DirecTV's feed.
Hopefully the tech will find the source of the problem.
A.K.A VOS

#765 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 41,955 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 01:48 PM

I'm going to try to get these guys back to the house.

So after checking with "my people", the problems is known to be Dolby packet errors incoming to DirecTV.
It was also suggested to stop requesting techs since it won't change anything, which is why I started this thread.
They have read your post, so you've been heard. :)
A.K.A VOS

#766 OFFLINE   phelme

phelme

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 02:12 PM

The "brrrrriiiiip" phenomenon ( is that the official spelling by the way: 5 "r's" and 5 "i's"? ;) ) is rampant for me lately. This has been going on for a while, but seems to have picked up a head of steam this summer. Doesn't appear to be any channel that's immune to it: HBO, FX, HGTV, FOOD, local broadcast, doesn't matter.

This discussion has been going on for years, yet there still seems to be confusion out there as to whether this occurs at the residence or the broadcasters. Which is it? Should I bother replacing my old H20-100 & H21-100? Will it make a lick of difference?

I came here from the old thread and I have to say, the title of that thread is appropriate as far as I'm concerned. It's not just audio dropouts, brrrrriiiiip lives on.

#767 OFFLINE   pinkertonfloyd

pinkertonfloyd

Legend

• Registered
  • 147 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 03:47 PM

So after checking with "my people", the problems is known to be Dolby packet errors incoming to DirecTV.
It was also suggested to stop requesting techs since it won't change anything, which is why I started this thread.
They have read your post, so you've been heard. :)

Dumb question, why doesn't other<tm> carriers seem to have this issue. (although I hear Dish Network has an issue too). I took a 2 year sabbatical to a FTTH provider in my area (Surewest) who didn't have this issue one bit. (their only issue was $$$ kept creeping up with "fees") They're also doing the MPEG-2 to MPEG-4 switcharoo too (I've heard that excuse). Bad CODEC on DTV's end?

#768 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 41,955 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 05:17 PM

Dumb question, why doesn't other<tm> carriers seem to have this issue. (although I hear Dish Network has an issue too). I took a 2 year sabbatical to a FTTH provider in my area (Surewest) who didn't have this issue one bit. (their only issue was $$$ kept creeping up with "fees") They're also doing the MPEG-2 to MPEG-4 switcharoo too (I've heard that excuse). Bad CODEC on DTV's end?

It comes down to the transcoders being used to do the MPEG-2 to MPEG-4.
"If" someone else is doing this on the fly and not having these, they must be using a different manufacturer's.
A.K.A VOS

#769 OFFLINE   keenan

keenan

Godfather

• Registered
  • 531 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 12:39 AM

Looks like the audio dropout problem has infected the graphics on TV as well.:D

Posted Image

#770 OFFLINE   Ed Campbell

Ed Campbell

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,285 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 06:08 AM

Dropouts daily on Bloomberg TV.

Yes, it might be nice as well if D* finally gave us the HD feed.

#771 OFFLINE   I WANT MORE

I WANT MORE

CowboySooner

• Registered
  • 1,160 posts
  • LocationNorthern plains

Posted 10 September 2011 - 07:46 AM

ESPNU right now.
Perhaps I Misremembered.

#772 OFFLINE   haas

haas

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 36 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 07:35 PM

I am experiencing just quick one second audio drops ever since switching on dolby digital. Before that I never noticed them. New install about 30 days ago.

Are these the types of dropouts you guys are talking about? It is happening during monday night foootball tonight.

#773 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 41,955 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 08:47 PM

I am experiencing just quick one second audio drops ever since switching on dolby digital. Before that I never noticed them. New install about 30 days ago.

Are these the types of dropouts you guys are talking about? It is happening during monday night foootball tonight.

Sure sounds like it, so there won't be much you can do on your end to resolve this "other than" complaining to DirecTV.
A.K.A VOS

#774 OFFLINE   haas

haas

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 36 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 08:54 PM

Sure sounds like it, so there won't be much you can do on your end to resolve this "other than" complaining to DirecTV.

Just finished moving my H24 to to the digital coax connection instead of audio over HDMI just to make sure. Sounds like a lot of people have be "complaining" to DirecTV and they still haven't been able to find "fix"? :confused:

#775 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 41,955 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 09:01 PM

Just finished moving my H24 to to the digital coax connection instead of audio over HDMI just to make sure. Sounds like a lot of people have be "complaining" to DirecTV and they still haven't been able to find "fix"? :confused:

Well they sure haven't made them all go away, but they have gotten better and this is mostly by DirecTV working with the program provider to improve their feed to DirecTV.
A.K.A VOS

#776 OFFLINE   haas

haas

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 36 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 07:28 AM

So last night I was watching a recorded Reo Speedway Concert from the Audience network. There was a drop out so I rewound it and played it again. There was no dropout in the same spot. How is it the feed if it doesn't appear consistently in the source?

Thx

#777 OFFLINE   phelme

phelme

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 10:43 AM

Must have had 5 or so dropouts in the first half hour of Project Runway on Lifetime last night. It was a bit disconcerting because I had DTV out earlier in the day to help with this. They put in a new LNB, which brought up the levels by 15 or so points on 103.

I guess this convinces me more than ever this problem is at the source. I'll probably drop the 5.1 optical connection from my HD-PVR and live in an RCA 2-channel world for now because this is getting out of hand.

#778 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 41,955 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 10:52 AM

Must have had 5 or so dropouts in the first half hour of Project Runway on Lifetime last night. It was a bit disconcerting because I had DTV out earlier in the day to help with this. They put in a new LNB, which brought up the levels by 15 or so points on 103.

I guess this convinces me more than ever this problem is at the source. I'll probably drop the 5.1 optical connection from my HD-PVR and live in an RCA 2-channel world for now because this is getting out of hand.

Another option is to simply turn off Dolby in the receiver and use PCM out to your AVR.
A.K.A VOS

#779 OFFLINE   phelme

phelme

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 11:46 AM

Another option is to simply turn off Dolby in the receiver and use PCM out to your AVR.

OK, I'll give that a try.

One thing is for sure, since i've switched to 2-channel RCA, the dropouts are gone or at least to the point where they aren't as noticeable. but of course discrete sound is gone as well. :(

#780 OFFLINE   weaver6

weaver6

Icon

• Registered
  • 563 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 03:29 PM

Still having dropouts on Speed.
AU9 5 LNB Dish
HR21-100 with AM-21 to Sharp LC-60E79U using HDMI, optical to Harmon/Kardon AVR-247, 2 TB external hard drive
HR21-700 to 31" Mitsubishi CRT, 2 TB external hard drive
Westell 7500 Router, Hardwired to HR21-100, 7500 hardwired to Netgear switch to HR20-100

Protected By... spam firewall...And...