Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

On which channels do you have audio dropouts?

• Please log in to reply
925 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   BKC

BKC

Icon

• Banned User
  • 682 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 09:53 AM

How long before this thread gets closed because it isn't the message DTV or some people here want to hear? lol

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 41,621 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 09:58 AM

How long before this thread gets closed because it isn't the message DTV or some people here want to hear? lol

Currently I'd guess only inappropriate posts will get deleted.
I also believe the fact that this is a sticky shows what the forum thinks of this issue. YMMV
A.K.A VOS

#63 OFFLINE   BKC

BKC

Icon

• Banned User
  • 682 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 10:09 AM

Actually stickies are very hard to notice. I only found this one because it was posted in the other thread. It took me forever to actually find it was even in the same forum. I thought it had been tucked away in the corner some place. Now when the other thread sinks I bet there will be a lot of people won't find this at all and that's a shame but at least it will meet the goal of not as many complaints. :D

#64 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,800 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 03 August 2010 - 10:13 AM

Actually stickies are very hard to notice. I only found this one because it was posted in the other thread. It took me forever to actually find it was even in the same forum. I thought it had been tucked away in the corner some place. Now when the other thread sinks I bet there will be a lot of people won't find this at all and that's a shame but at least it will meet the goal of not as many complaints. :D

Have you ever used a forum before? :rolleyes: Stickies put topics at the top of their sub forum. In plain sight. Right there. Until unstickied.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#65 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 41,621 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 10:18 AM

OK, maybe it is time to get: :backtotop

The thread is here and it isn't going away so let's post the information to help get the problem resolved.
If you don't think the thread is worth your time, then don't post and let the rest offer up their information to try and help.
A.K.A VOS

#66 OFFLINE   BKC

BKC

Icon

• Banned User
  • 682 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 10:26 AM

Have you ever used a forum before? :rolleyes: Stickies put topics at the top of their sub forum. In plain sight. Right there. Until unstickied.

You mean you actually look at the stickies? As far as using forums, I would be willing to bet I use way more than you do. :D

#67 OFFLINE   BKC

BKC

Icon

• Banned User
  • 682 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 10:29 AM

OK, maybe it is time to get: :backtotop

The thread is here and it isn't going away so let's post the information to help get the problem resolved.
If you don't think the thread is worth your time, then don't post and let the rest offer up their information to try and help.

I was chastised by someone that thought I was trying to control the direction of the other thread because I was the OP. You aren't trying to do that are you?

#68 ONLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,903 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 03 August 2010 - 10:34 AM

VOS, as another data point, I compared the recordings on two different model HD DVR's on Friday's showing of Eureka. Both DVR's had drop out in the audio at the same spots. Sorry I'm not buying the issue it's the STB argument since we're talking about STB's made by different manufactures running what I assume is slightly different software since -100 -200 and -700's all have their own software downloads. Also the HR20's have a totally different chipset then the HR21/22/23's which again IMHO points away from the STB's and back to something in DirecTV's infrastructure.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#69 OFFLINE   Dagmandt

Dagmandt

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 10:44 AM

I have an HR21 and HR22. The HR22 is hooked up to the tv speakers, no perceptible dropout. The HR21 is hooked up to my Onkyo home theater receiver. The dropout lasts for a couple seconds each time. It happens on all HD channels we watch generally several times per show. On some channels it happens every 5 minutes or so. DD is enabled on both receivers.

FOOD
HGTV
Local Channels 4,5,7,11

Many more

#70 ONLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,903 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 10:47 AM

I have an HR21 and HR22. The HR22 is hooked up to the tv speakers, no perceptible dropout.

Try this, record the same program on both DVR's on a channel that you normally have the problem with. When you hear it through your AVR note the time then go to your TV and play it back there. If your setup operates like mine you'll be able to hear a very quick audio glitch via the TV's audio at the point where the Onkyo loses it's audio.

#71 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 41,621 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 10:50 AM

VOS, as another data point, I compared the recordings on two different model HD DVR's on Friday's showing of Eureka. Both DVR's had drop out in the audio at the same spots. Sorry I'm not buying the issue it's the STB argument since we're talking about STB's made by different manufactures running what I assume is slightly different software since -100 -200 and -700's all have their own software downloads. Also the HR20's have a totally different chipset then the HR21/22/23's which again IMHO points away from the STB's and back to something in DirecTV's infrastructure.

I hope you haven't thought "I'm selling" that it's the DirecTV receivers. It isn't.
What I think is a difference is while we all get the same feed, and it is the source of the problem, the Audio Video Receiver we are using will give us different results.
The type we use can change the frequency and duration of the dropouts.
From the two AVRs that I've used:
One will trip on a glitch that I can't hear and the other won't trip on ones I can hear.
Both lose and recover quickly.
From reading about others that have clicking relays, etc. these look to have a longer recover time than mine. If these are also as sensitive as the one I have that trips on ones I can't hear, then these are the ones that would increase the frequency and duration of the dropouts, compared to others.
A.K.A VOS

#72 ONLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,903 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 11:10 AM

I hope you haven't thought "I'm selling" that it's the DirecTV receivers. It isn't.

Good since I wasn't sure on your prior post with the response from DirecTV that had "Your thoughts on the subject of if it's a box issue are correct.". Could you then please clearify that sentence since to me it sounds like DirecTV's saying it's the STB and not on their end.

#73 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 41,621 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 11:23 AM

Good since I wasn't sure on your prior post with the response from DirecTV that had "Your thoughts on the subject of if it's a box issue are correct.". Could you then please clearify that sentence since to me it sounds like DirecTV's saying it's the STB and not on their end.

This was in context of the other thread that is now closed. The OP claimed these dropouts were due to a software update.
I took a lot of heat trying to redirect the source to the SAT feed, and not any model DirecTV receiver or any software update.
So the part you quoted, is that DirecTV is saying it isn't our STB or any software update that is the problem, but is in the SAT feed, on their end.
A.K.A VOS

#74 ONLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,903 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 11:25 AM

OK, thanks.

#75 OFFLINE   Intelanot27

Intelanot27

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 11:26 AM

One of the things I've noticed that I find very interesting are on my recorded shows and also live shows that if you rewind back to the audio dropout point it is very often gone, not always but alot.

#76 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 41,621 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 11:39 AM

One of the things I've noticed that I find very interesting are on my recorded shows and also live shows that if you rewind back to the audio dropout point it is very often gone, not always but alot.

What model DirecTV receiver is this on?
Currently there is still a problem like this with the HR24-500. This is a software problem that will be resolved with the next update coming out "soon".
Those that are always at the same place, are from the SAT feed, but any that don't repeat, have to do with the receiver & software.
A.K.A VOS

#77 OFFLINE   DogLover

DogLover

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,510 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 11:41 AM

:welcome_s

Actually, those that disappear upon rewinding are caused by something other than the issue that is referenced in this thread. If you are having a lot of those, you might want to start a thread in the receiver forum to help you debug those.

The issue in this thread is caused by a problem in the transmission itself, and as such will reoccur in the exact spot if you rewind. Those are the ones to document in this thread.

(I don't mean to sound like I'm brushing you off. This issue here is a longstanding issue that may take even longer to be resolved by DIRECTV. Your issue will likely have a different cause, that may be easier and faster to fix, as it may be a problem with the receiver hardware, software, or installation.)
DogLover

My Setup

#78 OFFLINE   Intelanot27

Intelanot27

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 12:01 PM

That was the point of my observation, that both a hardware or software and transmission problem existed.

#79 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 41,621 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 12:08 PM

That was the point of my observation, that both a hardware or software and transmission problem existed.

But so far the hardware/software has only been with one model and this has been addressed.
If you're having this with another model please post it somewhere so it can be addressed.
A.K.A VOS

#80 OFFLINE   Die Hard

Die Hard

Mentor

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 01:36 PM

OK, now we have the whole DirecTV HD channel line up listed and now maybe we can move on to more productive posts.

Someone asked if I had any updates and I said I had sent a message but not heard a reply.

Today's reply in part:

As you can see they are reading these threads and trying to resolve the problem.

Besides the HD channels, would you all add what AVR you're using or if this is just your TV.

Nationals:

206 ESPNHD
209 ESPN2HD
229 HGTVHD
242 USAHD
245 TNTHD

Locals:2- FOX

I average about 3 to 4 audio dropouts per hour.

My system:
H20/600 - via HDMI directly to a Samsung LCD LN-52351w TV. No AVR connected and can still hear drops thru TV speakers.

H21/100 - via HDMI to a Panasonic Plasma TH42PX50 TV, with an optical connection to a Sony AVR STR-DE845. The panel displays/changes when the Dolby signal changes. Most audio drops I hear, some I just see based on the display.

H23/600 - via HDMI to a Denon AVR 1610 then on via HDMI to a Panasonic Plasma TCP-50S1. Nothing on the display changes, I just hear the audio drops.

spam firewall