Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

On which channels do you have audio dropouts?

• Please log in to reply
926 replies to this topic

#841 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 41,767 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 11:58 AM

This has been TRUE for me too for the past 1 1/2 yrs - but as of 9/1 I have started getting DD, loss of synch issues, on ABC, CBS, NBC, and FOX. I use the 24/500 DVR Receiver and it is and has been set on DD all this time. Using HDMI Cables I/O.......tried also installing an Optical/Cigital Cable yesterday to see if that would change things - BUT it has not. DTV tells me it is on my end..........but "common sense" tells me different......because I ONLY get these irritating drop outs of audio [split second to 5-15 seconds] while watching those major networks. IF it was on my end I would think that ALL their channels would be acting this way.
HATE to go back to Comcast...........but in a few more months now I have to consider it...........YUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad:

This sounds very much like a problem I had a few years ago.
I'd suggest emailing ellen.filipiak@directv.com
Explain the problem and how it's only with your local HD channels.
One of Ellen's group should contact you.
A.K.A VOS

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#842 OFFLINE   orbeavhawk

orbeavhawk

Mentor

• Registered
  • 37 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 01:25 PM

VeryOLDschool---------THANKS! Sent her an EMail, hope/pray she can help - I called DTV Tech S. again to NO avail.........she tried to get me to sign up for their Service program for $5.99 a month.......then a repair man will come out.
Hope to not have to,,,,can't afford DTV the way it is!:sure:

#843 OFFLINE   242424

AllStar

• Registered
  • 232 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 03:26 PM

Get ready for the "We haven't heard of that and we will escalate it to out engineers" reply

#844 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 41,767 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 03:39 PM

Get ready for the "We haven't heard of that and we will escalate it to out engineers" reply

Guess that might depend on how well you can explain the problem.
Ellen's group can be fairly good at getting the right attention to the problem.
A.K.A VOS

#845 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,219 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 05 September 2012 - 03:44 PM

I'd guess it's very unlikely even the best tech at your house can fix this. It really sounds like an uplink problem, and that needs to be addressed at a higher level- unless your locals are on a Sat. that's different from the channels you normally watch; then it could be a dish alignment matter.

It'd be odd if others with DIRECTV® in your area aren't also having problems with the locals, again, unless it's a dish pointing thing.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#846 OFFLINE   celticpride

celticpride

Icon

• Registered
  • 967 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 05:16 PM

WOW! i cant believe this stuff is still going on after 2 and a half years thats when i left directv and i use to have problems with dropouts on my av receiver,but i dont remember what channels the drop outs were on.

#847 OFFLINE   orbeavhawk

orbeavhawk

Mentor

• Registered
  • 37 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 11:27 AM

I'd guess it's very unlikely even the best tech at your house can fix this. It really sounds like an uplink problem, and that needs to be addressed at a higher level- unless your locals are on a Sat. that's different from the channels you normally watch; then it could be a dish alignment matter.

It'd be odd if others with DIRECTV® in your area aren't also having problems with the locals, again, unless it's a dish pointing thing.

THANKS for input.....have not heard back from "ellen" [above link].
ALL of my channels are off their SAT[s] so, from what you say, I just may need my Dish re-aligned??? Does stand to reason when one thinks about it because I am getting this terrible problem ONLY from that small group of local channels.
Tech Support yesterday wanted me to disconnect my HDMI from the way I presently have it connected and go Direct into the TV rather than the AVR....I did'nt do that and have'nt done it YET.......know of course what they expect this to tell us BUT I don't know......the AVR puts out DD MultiChannel Audio....this is going out of synch.........the TV I don't believe handles DD multi-channel audio [stereo is it's max] - so that test may not be relevant??? [she could not tell me if alot of people in my area were having same problem]

Also....she told me IF I sign up for their $5.99/mo Service Policy that they would send out someone to fix me up........or pay a one time fee of $29.95.

Will that self test built into the DVR software spot if the dish is out of alignment in any areas?

TKS michael

#848 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,219 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 12:08 PM

Yes, do the recommended test! I didn't realize you had it run through an AVR.

Others here are much better on reading the results of sat. strength, but you could begin by posting the signal strengths of each transponder. Quite a lot when you hit 'em all.

Some one else may be able to say which sat. and transponder carries your locals. Then if you compare other reception with channels on the same sat, you may get a fix if it's an alignment problem.

But, then, it may come down some change the local uplink has experienced.

#849 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 41,767 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 12:16 PM

But, then, it may come down some change the local uplink has experienced.

"Normally" if this is happening only on the local HD channels, alignment shouldn't be the problem.
Local spots have a bit more power than the CONUS, so one might expect problems with the national channels first, if alignment was the cause.
A.K.A VOS

#850 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,219 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 02:14 PM

"Normally" if this is happening only on the local HD channels, alignment shouldn't be the problem.
Local spots have a bit more power than the CONUS, so one might expect problems with the national channels first, if alignment was the cause.

I am reminded of the song "Fishin' in the Dark", which is what I am doing, mas o menos .:eek2:

If it's some glitch in the local uplink, alignment of dish shrinks to almost nothing as a possible cause. My theory holds water only if the locals are on a sat with a location that just got lost due to a Carrier Pigeon striking the dish....;)

#851 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 41,767 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 02:21 PM

I am reminded of the song "Fishin' in the Dark", which is what I am doing, mas o menos .:eek2:

If it's some glitch in the local uplink, alignment of dish shrinks to almost nothing as a possible cause. My theory holds water only if the locals are on a sat with a location that just got lost due to a Carrier Pigeon striking the dish....;)

Nobody knows until it's checked out.
Just because I had similar issues doesn't mean it's the problem this time.

Verify the basics and then proceed.
A.K.A VOS

#852 OFFLINE   orbeavhawk

orbeavhawk

Mentor

• Registered
  • 37 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 11:10 AM

SOLUTION found for my Local Channel audio dropouts........want to share and possibly help anyone with similar problems.
Since I could not resolve this problem I decided to go to an antenna and OTA signals for just Locals...........I got my antenna out, checked back of my HDTV and saw it had an Optical Digital OUT for sound from the TV......I connected a O/D Cable from that to the AVR..........and before adding in the antenna, turned everything on via the DTV Receiver............WALA.......NO more drop outs...........Thank God! Did not have to use that antenna and go thru hassle of switching sources.
I now have Optical Digital Cables from the DTV Receiver to AVR and the HDTV to the AVR + the Original HDMI also.
What a relief! :)

#853 OFFLINE   Barcthespark

Barcthespark

Godfather

• Registered
  • 368 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 02:26 PM

I have audio dropouts on KTVI 2 from St. Louis on D*. No problem when viewing OTA. Has been happening as long as I can remember. All other locals are fine.

#854 OFFLINE   I WANT MORE

I WANT MORE

CowboySooner

• Registered
  • 1,125 posts
  • LocationNorthern plains

Posted 09 September 2012 - 02:46 PM

Major audio drop outs on the RZC today.
Perhaps I Misremembered.

#855 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 03:05 PM

Major audio drop outs on the RZC today.

Yea, no kidding. When Green Bay came on, I switched to it, and was still having audio dropouts, so gave up and am watching the game on Tivo with an OTA antenna. No drop outs there.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#856 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,219 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 03:34 PM

Yea, no kidding. When Green Bay came on, I switched to it, and was still having audio dropouts, so gave up and am watching the game on Tivo with an OTA antenna. No drop outs there.

Green Bay came on? It looks like they are right now, Jones' reception on ----ooops, Offensive interference.. Any way, whatever happens, the Niners have already come on. Rogers is playing great; no surprise.

No drop outs watching on Fox Ch. 2 here. (HR20-700)

#857 ONLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,622 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 11 November 2012 - 08:44 PM

Espn has audio dropouts for the galaxy and sounders soccer match or maybe it's the high winds and rain here in Chicago, can anybody confirm?

#858 OFFLINE   majikmarker

majikmarker

AllStar

• Registered
  • 77 posts
  • LocationArlington, WA

Posted 12 November 2012 - 11:01 AM

Espn has audio dropouts for the galaxy and sounders soccer match or maybe it's the high winds and rain here in Chicago, can anybody confirm?

Watched a lot of the first half here in the Seattle area and the dropouts/glitches were as bad as I have ever seen.

I have an Onkyo AVR and I understand Onkyos' probably deal with the issue the worst so it may have been more noticeable on my end. I had multiple (not full) audio dropouts every 5-10 seconds and the worst glitches were accompanied with a video "burp".

#859 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,219 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 01:21 PM

I have my AVR linked back from the TV, and experience minimum dropouts- most or all are in the feed.

So, it goes DIRECTV receiver->HDMI->TV->Optical link from TV (two year old Sammy) back to AVR (a new Denon, mid to low range) Works great, and often I don't need or want the AVR on, so it's easy to use TV speakers.

#860 OFFLINE   Joe Spears

Joe Spears

Duplicate User (Account Closed)

• Banned User
  • 109 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 10:04 PM

I am getting a lot of audio dropouts during MNF right now on ESPN HD...:nono2:

Protected By... spam firewall...And...