Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

On which channels do you have audio dropouts?

• Please log in to reply
926 replies to this topic

#861 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,207 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 12 November 2012 - 10:50 PM

I am getting a lot of audio dropouts during MNF right now on ESPN HD...:nono2:

I'm on delay, and tend to FF between many snaps, but not a hitch in the audio here tonight- nearing end of first half.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#862 OFFLINE   Joe Spears

Joe Spears

Duplicate User (Account Closed)

• Banned User
  • 109 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 11:53 PM

I'm on delay, and tend to FF between many snaps, but not a hitch in the audio here tonight- nearing end of first half.

Have you experienced any yet?

I am having them on ESPNU HD also, ESPN2 HD and ESPNews HD appear to be fine...

#863 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,207 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 10:09 AM

Have you experienced any yet?

I am having them on ESPNU HD also, ESPN2 HD and ESPNews HD appear to be fine...

Hi, Joe. No, the only glitch was a bunch of frames dropped, so audio and video bonked for about half a second or less. I probably watched less than half the whole show; the other half was FF.

#864 OFFLINE   drwdbs

drwdbs

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 48 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 02:43 PM

I am getting a lot of audio dropouts during MNF right now on ESPN HD...:nono2:

I made a post about my issues in the HD Receiver board, but I have been having HORRIBLE audio dropouts on ESPN for awhile now, and it is getting worse- sometimes every 5 minutes or so.

I have an HR24 connected to a Denon Receiver via HDMI.

I know there have been HDMI handshake issues in the past, but for me, I only get the dropouts on ESPN, and if I turn of DD on the HR24, the dropouts disappear.

#865 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,207 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 07:09 PM

Would post 859 work for you?

#866 OFFLINE   haas

haas

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 36 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 02:10 PM

So, it goes DIRECTV receiver->HDMI->TV->Optical link from TV (two year old Sammy) back to AVR (a new Denon, mid to low range) Works great, and often I don't need or want the AVR on, so it's easy to use TV speakers.[/QUOTE]

I would try this however I have a Panasonic Plasma and they will not pass Dolby Digital from HDMI IN -> Optical OUT It strips it. So you just have a Stereo feed. That is the one downfall of Panasonic TV's.

#867 ONLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,477 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 20 November 2012 - 02:22 PM

[quote name='haas']So, it goes DIRECTV receiver->HDMI->TV->Optical link from TV (two year old Sammy) back to AVR (a new Denon, mid to low range) Works great, and often I don't need or want the AVR on, so it's easy to use TV speakers.[/quote]

I would try this however I have a Panasonic Plasma and they will not pass Dolby Digital from HDMI IN -> Optical OUT It strips it. So you just have a Stereo feed. That is the one downfall of Panasonic TV's.[/quote]

To use the TV speakers,
I have my HR23 setup using Component cables to the TV and an Optical cable to the AVR.
I got a second remote and set one of them to control the TV speakers and the other one to control the sound using the AVR.
When I am going to switch to the AVR sounds I turn the volume way down on the TV speakers and do not o thru the hassle of turning them off and then havin to turn them back on.
I use the TV speakers about 8 hours and the AVR surround sound about 4 hours per day.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#868 OFFLINE   marke5860

marke5860

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 04:26 PM

I'm watching Oklahoma vs. Oklahoma St. on ESPN (206) and seem to be getting dropouts every 4-5 minutes. Very annoying. OTOH, I don't seem to notice them as much on other channels like I used to (Fox News, locals, Hist, Disc).

#869 OFFLINE   bflora

bflora

Legend

• Registered
  • 132 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 08:48 PM

Me too!

#870 OFFLINE   jmhga44

jmhga44

Mentor

• Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 11:40 PM

I wished I had checked this thread a long time ago. I've been having a lot of the same audio problems that other members have described. Most of the sports channels (ESPN, any game on the Sunday Ticket or MLB packages) have been doing the audio dropouts for a while. I've also noticed it on Food Network, Spike, the History Channel, and I think also NatGeo. All channels that I previously mentioned are the HD feeds. I've got a HR24-100 DVR in my living room with a Sony HDTV and a Denon AV receiver and in my bedroom I'm running a H24 receiver with a Samsung HDTV and a Pioneer AV receiver. Both setups are running HDMI and the audio is set to Dolby Digital. I've noticed the audio dropouts (sometimes the picture will freeze at the same times) on either setup so I don't think I can pin it to one AV receiver. I've also checked the satellite signal when the audio dropouts happen and the signal is running in the 90's for each available satellite. If there is a clear answer on how to fix this problem I would like to get it solved too.
Jimmy H.

#871 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,207 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 12:10 AM

Are you going STB->AVR->HDTV all via HDMI?

Can you go direct to TV and then TV audio out (coax or optical) back to the AVR? There are few for whom this doesn't solve most dropouts on audio

#872 OFFLINE   jmhga44

jmhga44

Mentor

• Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 01:05 PM

Are you going STB->AVR->HDTV all via HDMI?

Can you go direct to TV and then TV audio out (coax or optical) back to the AVR? There are few for whom this doesn't solve most dropouts on audio

All connections between the STB/AVR/HDTV are HDMI. On your suggestion if I go HDMI from STB to HDTV and back from HDTV audio out to AVR (coax or optical) wouldn't there have to be another cable from the HDTV to the AVR for the video to allow for proper switching?

Thanks for your suggestion.
Jimmy H.

#873 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,207 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 01:33 PM

All connections between the STB/AVR/HDTV are HDMI. On your suggestion if I go HDMI from STB to HDTV and back from HDTV audio out to AVR (coax or optical) wouldn't there have to be another cable from the HDTV to the AVR for the video to allow for proper switching?

Thanks for your suggestion.

No, not on the setup with which I am familiar. With my Denon, I use its HDMI control and it syncs up with the TV's audio just fine. The Denon is new, and the Sammy it's connected to is only two years old, so YMMV.

It makes it easy to have the TV on with or without the AVR.

#874 OFFLINE   marke5860

marke5860

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:27 PM

Laxguy,
What model Denon do you have? Mine is a few years old and I'm positive part of the problem is the Audyssey processing. I don't think it deals with errors in the audio data stream very well. If I turn off the Audyssey processing, I don't notice the dropouts (they're still there, but much shorter). I'm wondering if the newer models might deal with this better.

BTW, i'm watching the Sugar Bowl and it is happening every few minutes it seems. ESPN again :mad:

No, not on the setup with which I am familiar. With my Denon, I use its HDMI control and it syncs up with the TV's audio just fine. The Denon is new, and the Sammy it's connected to is only two years old, so YMMV.

It makes it easy to have the TV on with or without the AVR.

#875 OFFLINE   zeus

zeus

Legend

• Registered
  • 144 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 11:12 PM

I see dropouts on every channel. Sometimes once and hour, Sometimes once a day.

I have an Onkyo TX-NR608 with HDMI hookups, only.

#876 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,207 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 11:50 PM

My Denon is a 1613, not exactly high end, but new.

I cannot recommend enough bypassing HDMI feed through. It obviates many problems or supposed problems in synch and artifacting. But to each his own.

#877 OFFLINE   jmhga44

jmhga44

Mentor

• Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 06:42 PM

Laxguy,
What model Denon do you have? Mine is a few years old and I'm positive part of the problem is the Audyssey processing. I don't think it deals with errors in the audio data stream very well. If I turn off the Audyssey processing, I don't notice the dropouts (they're still there, but much shorter). I'm wondering if the newer models might deal with this better.

BTW, i'm watching the Sugar Bowl and it is happening every few minutes it seems. ESPN again :mad:

I've got a 6 year old Denon receiver (AVR2307CI) that I use most frequently and the dropouts are especially noticiable on ESPN so you might be onto something there. I've also got a newer Pioneer receiver (VSX-60) that I've just purchased in the last 6 months and notice the audio dropouts on that receiver too.
Jimmy H.

#878 OFFLINE   Rtm

Rtm

Godfather

• Registered
  • 392 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:42 PM

2 KPRC NBC has tons of audio dropouts HR24-100

#879 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,092 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 10 January 2013 - 10:17 PM

The dropouts on ESPN during the Kentucky at Vanderbilt game tonight were worse than Kentucky's play during the last 15 minutes of the game. I think there were more dropouts than turnovers and missed free throws by both teams combined.

#880 OFFLINE   rsoares28

rsoares28

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:54 PM

I'm connected to a pio 1021 amp and so far no complaints. had Directv for about a month. Just one quick audio drop out on TNT during the ASG.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...