Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

On which channels do you have audio dropouts?

• Please log in to reply
926 replies to this topic

#81 OFFLINE   BKC

BKC

Icon

• Banned User
  • 682 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 02:14 PM

Mine is an Onkyo HT-S590 but it doesn't matter, I still get them through the tv speakers.

I also forgot to add I at times get dropouts on my local OTA station run through the HR20-100. If I switch over to just the antenna and not go through the HR20, they aren't there.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#82 OFFLINE   guffy1

guffy1

Legend

• Registered
  • 107 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 03:00 PM

I dont suffer from any audio dropouts ever that I'm aware of and I watch more than my share of Directv for sure.

Is it because I don't use a surround sound system and get audio directly from the TV speakers? I have a HR21-100 and a H21-100.

From reading the thread it seems to me FOOD NET was one of the worst offenders, so just out of curiosity I listened closely for 90 minutes or so last night and didn't get a single audio dropout.

#83 OFFLINE   BKC

BKC

Icon

• Banned User
  • 682 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 04:01 PM

I think you are just very lucky. Say a little prayer of thanks tonight. :D

I get them with both the surround sound and through the tv speakers.

#84 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 41,695 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 04:50 PM

I dont suffer from any audio dropouts ever that I'm aware of and I watch more than my share of Directv for sure.

Is it because I don't use a surround sound system and get audio directly from the TV speakers? I have a HR21-100 and a H21-100.

From reading the thread it seems to me FOOD NET was one of the worst offenders, so just out of curiosity I listened closely for 90 minutes or so last night and didn't get a single audio dropout.

If you have Dolby turned off, and use your TV speakers, the dropouts may be so short that you don't hear them.
A.K.A VOS

#85 OFFLINE   DogLover

DogLover

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,510 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 06:54 PM

I notice the audio dropouts the most on USA and Syfy. Tonight, watching the Law and Order: Criminal Intent that was recorded 7/6, 10:00 pm from USAHD 242. There were several drop outs. Ran diagnostic report 20100803-3089 within a minute after hearing one of the dropouts.
DogLover

My Setup

#86 OFFLINE   guffy1

guffy1

Legend

• Registered
  • 107 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 07:37 PM

If you have Dolby turned off, and use your TV speakers, the dropouts may be so short that you don't hear them.

Yes I have Dolby turned off and use the TV speakers. Cant say that Ive ever consciously listened for the dropouts, but since I saw this thread yesterday evening I have started listening closely for them and I'm just not hearing them at all. I guess I'm fortunate to not be an audiophile. I only use surround sound when watching DVD's/Blu Ray's.

#87 OFFLINE   Taltizer

Taltizer

Legend

• Registered
  • 189 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 08:00 PM

CNN HD
SYFY HD
USA HD
CNe HD
Theres so many sometimes its hard to list them all this is using 3 HR20-100's and 1 HR21-100 happens on the same channels on all of these channels and others.

#88 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 41,695 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 08:12 PM

Yes I have Dolby turned off and use the TV speakers. Cant say that Ive ever consciously listened for the dropouts, but since I saw this thread yesterday evening I have started listening closely for them and I'm just not hearing them at all. I guess I'm fortunate to not be an audiophile. I only use surround sound when watching DVD's/Blu Ray's.

The key here is the degree of the corrupted or missing audio bits.
With Dolby off you may not hear a dropout unless it is much longer. Some have turned Dolby off and can still hear then but they are shorter than with Dolby on.
Then with the different Audio Video Receivers, some will trigger on the shortest break in the Dolby encoding and others seem to trigger on longer breaks of it and pass through the short ones.
Next comes how fast the Audio Video Receiver cycles through losing and regaining the Dolby decoding. Some do this in moments, while others can take seconds to cycle.
A.K.A VOS

#89 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 41,695 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 08:13 PM

CNN HD
SYFY HD
USA HD
CNe HD
Theres so many sometimes its hard to list them all this is using 3 HR20-100's and 1 HR21-100 happens on the same channels on all of these channels and others.

What AVR are you using, since by now it's fairly well known that it isn't which DirecTV receiver you're using.
A.K.A VOS

#90 OFFLINE   lugnutathome

lugnutathome

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,691 posts
  • LocationWoodburn, OR

Posted 03 August 2010 - 08:13 PM

Speed (Worst offender)
SyFy, TNT, USA, LOCAL CW (OK absolute worst but similar off air), The Starz package of channels, HBO, etc. It's present with most all the HD channels and has been a constant nuisance starting just about a year back (more like 10 or 11 months I think). First noticed it when I began CE testing. Its been resident this current NR cycle.

OK I'm thinking the 0x{0||4}35* and prior firmware didn't have this issue. (I started log notations with 0x036a 10/23/09)

OH AVR is insignificant as it happens on SONY, TOSHIBA, SAMSUNG, and SHARP TVs in reduced form. AVRs however... Bose 321-GS, Yamaha(YSP-1000, RX-V2600, RX-V3800, RX-Z11) The AVRs take a bit to refresh as the signal drop pulls them out of DD5.1 to PCM and then back. (at least that is what the front panel indicators show on all of these AVRs)

Don "should have logged from day 1" Bolton

Edited by lugnutathome, 03 August 2010 - 08:19 PM.

What's a dazzling urbanite like you doing in a rustic setting like this?

#91 OFFLINE   BKC

BKC

Icon

• Banned User
  • 682 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 08:14 PM

Animal Plant was full of them tonight.

#92 OFFLINE   Taltizer

Taltizer

Legend

• Registered
  • 189 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 08:42 PM

What AVR are you using, since by now it's fairly well known that it isn't which DirecTV receiver you're using.

Never use and AVR only using my TV speakers and using HDMI.

#93 OFFLINE   Taltizer

Taltizer

Legend

• Registered
  • 189 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 08:44 PM

MSNBC HD
Foxnews HD
SpikeTV HD
History HD
Planet Green HD
HBO E HD
Quiet a few Premiums

Just a few other ones.You nees to start a thread for Video and Audio Breakups that would include.

SpikeTV HD and USA HD and MSNBC HD and many others.

#94 OFFLINE   betterdan

betterdan

Icon

• Registered
  • 898 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 08:54 PM

TNT HD
Speed HD
Fox HD
SyFy HD
Discovery HD
A&E HD
Discovery HD
USA HD
History HD
(That's all I can think of right now)

Local Hampton Roads Virginia
NBC HD
Fox HD

HR20-700 using Dolby Digital out via optical cable to an Onkyo AVR

Also I did not have any of these audio drop outs last year around this time. It started happening around November or so for me (give or take a couple of months). If it wasn't a software update then what was it that changed around that time? Did Directv get new equipment or start doing things differently with the signal? Was MPEG4 introduced around that time?

Edited by betterdan, 03 August 2010 - 09:07 PM.

#95 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 41,695 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 09:09 PM

Never use and AVR only using my TV speakers and using HDMI.

In this case you might try turning off Dolby in the receivers and just sending PCM to the TV. It might now stop all of them but they might not be as noticeable.
A.K.A VOS

#96 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 41,695 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 09:12 PM

Also I did not have any of these audio drop outs last year around this time. It started happening around November or so for me (give or take a couple of months). If it wasn't a software update then what was it that changed around that time? Did Directv get new equipment or start doing things differently with the signal? Was MPEG4 introduced around that time?

I don't have any info on what was changed, but would guess the firmware in the encoders was changed to remove the brripps that we used to have. Now the encoders seem to be blanking the same problem.
A.K.A VOS

#97 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 09:20 PM

I don't have any info on what was changed, but would guess the firmware in the encoders was changed to remove the brripps that we used to have. Now the encoders seem to be blanking the same problem.

I had to laugh the other day. I was watching speed channel, and using my Hauppauge HDPVR to watch it live. I had both the dropouts from DirecTv, and about two brrrrrrips from the mpeg4 encoder in the hauppauge. Must be something about mpeg4 that makes keeping video and audio sync really difficult.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#98 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 41,695 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 07:55 AM

OK, now we have the whole DirecTV HD channel line up listed and now maybe we can move on to more productive posts.

Someone asked if I had any updates and I said I had sent a message but not heard a reply.

Today's reply in part:

Actually I have been following the thread all along and you've been handling it great even after getting harassed here and there. The issue does have a great deal of attention internally and work is being done on certain sources / markets to clean things up. However some programs or live events will still have bad Dolby packets coming into us.

Your thoughts on the subject of if it's a box issue are correct. The problem was not introduced in a download back in November as so many insist it was. We are still looking into the HR24 though. Drives failing and signal issues can result in audio problems but you will normally have other video / trickplay issues.

What we are very interested in is how different AVRs respond to the Dolby frames since it's clear there's differences. So if you can just ask them what make and model their AVR is that would be great.

As you can see they are reading these threads and trying to resolve the problem.

Besides the HD channels, would you all add what AVR you're using or if this is just your TV.
A.K.A VOS

#99 OFFLINE   Taltizer

Taltizer

Legend

• Registered
  • 189 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 01:11 AM

In this case you might try turning off Dolby in the receivers and just sending PCM to the TV. It might now stop all of them but they might not be as noticeable.

Dolby has never been turned on on any of my recievers Dolby is always OFF This has always been a Directv MPEG4 Encoding issue and they never have seemed to want to or try to fix it.Its been this way Since D10 back in 07 and just gets worse as the years go on.

#100 OFFLINE   Taltizer

Taltizer

Legend

• Registered
  • 189 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 02:21 AM

The CW5HD Ch.5 Roanoke/Lynchburg Va. DMA this station has always had audio dropouts on SD programming only but is fine during HD Programming.It has had audio dropouts every 2 mins for over a year when Local HD's were added on July,29,2009.Dont expect for this to ever be fixed.

spam firewall