Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

On which channels do you have audio dropouts?

• Please log in to reply
928 replies to this topic

#101 OFFLINE   BKC

BKC

Icon

• Banned User
  • 682 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 07:05 AM

I would love to have this guy that wrote that email come and post. I would like him to explain how so many of us went to sleep one night and the audio was ok, got up the next morning with the blue light on after an update and had dropouts from that day on. I really don't like it when someone tells me what I didn't see.

It would also add a little creditability to what's in that email.

I could live with the dropouts until it's fixed if I weren't paying top dollar for the service. It's like a place advertising a 12 oz cup of coffee and only filling it 3/4 full but charging for a full cup. It's just not right.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#102 OFFLINE   JeffBowser

JeffBowser

blah blah blah

• Registered
  • 2,512 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 08:13 AM

This is merely a data gathering thread. Please allow it to be so, and vent on the other mile long thread about this subject, please :)

I would love to have this guy that wrote that email come and post. I would like him to explain how so many of us went to sleep one night and the audio was ok, got up the next morning with the blue light on after an update and had dropouts from that day on. I really don't like it when someone tells me what I didn't see.

It would also add a little creditability to what's in that email.

I could live with the dropouts until it's fixed if I weren't paying top dollar for the service. It's like a place advertising a 12 oz cup of coffee and only filling it 3/4 full but charging for a full cup. It's just not right.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
A fool finds no pleasure in understanding but delights in airing his own opinions.

#103 OFFLINE   jacques 99

jacques 99

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 08:22 AM

Was told that this is Dolby problem. With that said:

ESPN HD
ESPN2 HD
COM HD
HGTV HD
APL HD
GOLF CHANNEL HD
TNT HD
TBS HD

If these were fixed...I could enjoy the TV.

#104 OFFLINE   trdrjeff

trdrjeff

Icon

• Registered
  • 779 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 08:38 AM

This is merely a data gathering thread. Please allow it to be so, and vent on the other mile long thread about this subject, please :)

lol, the one that was locked for some unknown reason :lol:
HR20-100
Sharp 52" LCD 1080p
Yamaha YSP Sound Projector fed with Optical
Harmony 700

HR22-100
32" Samsung LED New School

#105 OFFLINE   BKC

BKC

Icon

• Banned User
  • 682 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 08:42 AM

I would love to but that thread was closed by Stuart like he's been wanting to do for some time now. Thank you :)

#106 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 41,981 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 08:44 AM

lol, the one that was locked for some unknown reason :lol:

Trying to keep a thread on track is like trying to herd cats.
Hopefully the rants & complaining will keep to a minimum as I asked in the first post.
The goal of the thread is to list the channels that have the most issues and which AVRs are being used.
A.K.A VOS

#107 OFFLINE   mjburton

mjburton

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 01:08 PM

Evidence: Audio Dropouts of up to 3-4 seconds, some (not all) with an audible "click" of AVR re-syncing
Occurrence: several per 30 min show
Channels: Numerous (maybe all) HD, with Bravo and Discovery, witnessed just last night
Source: HR20-700, DD = "on"
Connection: Optical
AVR: Onkyo TX-SR603X

please send help

#108 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 41,981 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 01:09 PM

^^ good post, thank you.
A.K.A VOS

#109 OFFLINE   islesfan

islesfan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,652 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 04 August 2010 - 04:15 PM

Wow, its on pretty much all the channels I watch (except the local channels). Syfy, Cartoon, USA, ESPN and ESPN2. FX too. Cartoon is the worst for it though. Happens rarely on Fox News. It has been comical during Warehouse 13 where it seems to be timed to be a 1970's era censor. It has dropped out on crap, fraking, hell, and damn (I could tell from context and I got the fraking from a rerun).

Sony Bravia 55"
HR20-700
HR21-700
HDMI
HP Touchsmart IQ 846 (Windows 8) for DirecTV2PC and Media Share

GenieGO

iPhone 4S

iPad

#110 OFFLINE   gitarzan

gitarzan

Godfather

• Registered
  • 401 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 04:53 PM

Can we quit posting channels now? Looks like most of them have been reported. VOS, since you seem to be the only one with any DirecTV inside knowledge of this problem can you ask them to comment on the status and when the issue can be resolved.
Almost there.
A few more seconds please...

#111 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 41,981 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 04:58 PM

Can we quit posting channels now? Looks like most of them have been reported. VOS, since you seem to be the only one with any DirecTV inside knowledge of this problem can you ask them to comment on the status and when the issue can be resolved.

While the channels may have been posted enough, please keep posting the frequency, length, and what your model of AVR is, as this looks to be the most important aspect as to how each of us see different amounts of these dropouts.
A.K.A VOS

#112 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,084 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 04 August 2010 - 05:03 PM

While the channels may have been posted enough, please keep posting the frequency, length, and what your model of AVR is, as this looks to be the most important aspect as to how each of us see different amounts of these dropouts.

While that may well be interesting shouldn't the main focus be to get DirecTV or whatever is causing the glitch in the DD audio stream fixed and not worry about how long AVR's are taking to recover from them?

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#113 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 41,981 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 05:19 PM

While that may well be interesting shouldn't the main focus be to get DirecTV or whatever is causing the glitch in the DD audio stream fixed and not worry about how long AVR's are taking to recover from them?

The message I got today said this [the model] was important information to them and this was not "busy work".
Only after reading how some other models take longer than mine does, do I see now how some have this much more than I have had, since mine have been very short, but then my receiver doesn't take 1-2 seconds to cycle through the same glitch and some glitches that the receiver "sees" I don't hear as they are so short.
A.K.A VOS

#114 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,084 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 05:35 PM

The message I got today said this [the model] was important information to them and this was not "busy work".
Only after reading how some other models take longer than mine does, do I see now how some have this much more than I have had, since mine have been very short, but then my receiver doesn't take 1-2 seconds to cycle through the same glitch and some glitches that the receiver "sees" I don't hear as they are so short.

Guess I just have to disagree with the direction that this is going then. It's like the old Doctor story about the man that says his arm hurts when he moves it like this, the Doctor says then don't move it like that anymore. Same thing goes, get rid of the glitch in the DD audio stream then who cares how long an AVR takes to recover from an error.

Also, maybe it's two different issues, one with error in the audio coming from the provider and the other an error being introduced by DirecTV. I logged drops at the same exact location in a Showtime east and west coast feed, which you said is probably error cause by Showtime.

#115 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,119 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 04 August 2010 - 05:38 PM

Guess I just have to disagree with the direction that this is going then. It's like the old Doctor story about the man that says his arm hurts when he moves it like this, the Doctor says then don't move it like that anymore. Same thing goes, get rid of the glitch in the DD audio stream then who cares how long an AVR takes to recover from an error.

Also, maybe it's two different issues, one with error in the audio coming from the provider and the other an error being introduced by DirecTV. I logged drops at the same exact location in a Showtime east and west coast feed, which you said is probably error cause by Showtime.

That were backed up by my exact same drops on Showtime West.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#116 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 41,981 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 05:47 PM

Guess I just have to disagree...

I do see your point, and not sure why this information is so useful to the broadcast center, but they have asked for it and assured me it isn't "busy work", so I will try to keep being the go between and hope they will keep me in the loop to feed information both ways.
A.K.A VOS

#117 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,084 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 06:47 PM

Countdown on MSNBC on 8/4 19:00CDT showing, drop at 0:53 from start of program

HR24-500 connected to Denon via HDMI .5 second drop
HR24-500 connected to Onkyo TX-NR901 via TOSLINK .97 second drop

Additional info: Recorded the 21:00CDT showing and there wasn't the drop at 0:53 in the 2nd showing played on the same setup.

Edited by RAD, 04 August 2010 - 08:05 PM.

#118 OFFLINE   bigzeto

bigzeto

AllStar

• Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 07:09 PM

I reported some channels earlier in the thread.

On my HR20-100 connected to my AVR-1910 hooked via HDMI, i get usually 4-5 dropouts per hour on the channels I watch.

On my old RCA tv hooked up with RCA cables to a HR21-100, I don't really hear dropouts through the tv speakers.

#119 OFFLINE   JMD

JMD

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 08:09 PM

All HD channels, this has been happening for a while. It's really bad on CNN especially.
HR21
Slimline
61" Samsung 1080P DLP
Onkyo 5.1
Bose surround

#120 OFFLINE   jacques 99

jacques 99

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 10:22 PM

Dropouts 1-3 seconds
Connected w/ HDMI (although I have also tried digital coax)
HR24-500
Denon AVR1610

Protected By... spam firewall...And...