Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

On which channels do you have audio dropouts?

• Please log in to reply
927 replies to this topic

#121 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 41,792 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 10:36 PM

Dropouts 1-3 seconds
Connected w/ HDMI (although I have also tried digital coax)
HR24-500
Denon AVR1610

Remember the HR24-500 is waiting for then next update to resolve its Dolby problems.
A.K.A VOS

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#122 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,867 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 05 August 2010 - 06:40 AM

USA Network, 242:

2 dropouts total in one hour viewing of NCIS recorded during the weekly marathon yesterday. Onkyo SR-605 AVR, HDMI audio in from HR21-200.

The dropouts caused several words to be missed, they were not very brief, nor were they excessively long (more than 2 sec, but less than 4 sec).

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

#123 OFFLINE   mickcris

mickcris

Legend

• Registered
  • 163 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 09:28 AM

Just turned DD back on the other day to get some data. I haven't watched too much since turning it back on, but I got dropouts on:
Discovery HD
CNN HD
Animal Planet HD

Have an Onkyo TX-SR805. The dropouts usually last between 2 and 4 seconds. I don't really understand why they need this info though. I am hoping that they don't just come out with a list of recommended receivers to use with Directv instead of actually fixing the problem.

#124 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 41,792 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 09:42 AM

I am hoping that they don't just come out with a list of recommended receivers to use with Directv instead of actually fixing the problem.

I very much doubt that will happen as everyone of them have this problem, and it's only that some have it for a shorter time than others. Mine doesn't last a second, but it's still there.
A.K.A VOS

#125 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,870 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 09:48 AM

Folks, I've done a lot of cleanup in this thread. I appreciate some of you answering questions while I was sleeping, I genuinely do. But I feel the discussion was off topic and was in some cases bordering on questioning moderation. In order to avoid issuing infractions right and left I've simply deleted parts of this thread that didn't pertain to the topic.

If you have questions about what is appropriate to post or about any moderator's action, please send a message to a moderator or admin. Please do not post publicly.

Thank you.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#126 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,870 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 09:49 AM

Oh and by the way my HR24-500 had several audio drops on The Daily Show last night.

Channel: COMHD
Receiver: Yamaha HTR5940 Dolby Digital via coax digital audio out

Edited by Stuart Sweet, 05 August 2010 - 10:26 AM.

#127 OFFLINE   bdyer

bdyer

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 09:56 AM

Main one I've noticed:

FXHD - 249

Reciever: Onkyo 705
TV: Mitsubishi 73-833

#128 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,000 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 05 August 2010 - 10:24 AM

I recorded Penn & Teller BS repeat showing on Showtime East and West last night. Something had changed since on the original airdate showings there were audio drops on both feeds at the same exact spot, last night they were gone.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#129 OFFLINE   nollchr

nollchr

AllStar

• Registered
  • 85 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 01:03 PM

FXHD
Cartoon HD
Fox News HD
HR20-700
Denon AVR-1602 via optical

HDMI to Vizio 42" (not using TV speakers)

Note: My newer Denon AVR-788 via HDMI to the AVR has no audio dropout.

Edited by nollchr, 12 August 2010 - 09:10 AM.
Added dtv receiver type

#130 OFFLINE   txfeinbergs

txfeinbergs

Legend

• Registered
  • 130 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 01:42 PM

FXHD
Cartoon HD
Fox News HD

Denon AVR-1602 via optical

HDMI to Vizio 42" (not using TV speakers)

Note: My newer Denon AVR-788 via HDMI to the AVR has no audio dropout.

That is good to hear about the newer Denon's. I am hoping that most AVR producers are realizing that building in better robustness handling to their data stream processing is not exactly a bad thing.

#131 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,000 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 05 August 2010 - 01:47 PM

That is good to hear about the newer Denon's. I am hoping that most AVR producers are realizing that building in better robustness handling to their data stream processing is not exactly a bad thing.

FWIW, I have a Denon AVR-891, which I would call a newer receiver and it has the audio drops.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#132 OFFLINE   tsduke

tsduke

Godfather

• Registered
  • 470 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 04:35 PM

I'm curious now that this thread is 100+ posts in...

How is everyone listing channels of any value when we're pretty much at all HD channels now?

I can't honestly list you a HD channel that hasn't dropped out.

#133 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,867 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 05 August 2010 - 05:56 PM

I'm curious now that this thread is 100+ posts in...

How is everyone listing channels of any value when we're pretty much at all HD channels now?

I can't honestly list you a HD channel that hasn't dropped out.

It's called aggregation of data. No one can monitor all of them. All of us have favorites. To the extent they don't overlap, then there is a pretty wide sampling of the problem. It's the best we can do with how we watch TV, don't you think?

Let's say that 20 people here watch USA network. Further, all 20 report audio drop outs.12 of them report it on a specific program at a specific time. When shown twice, are the dropouts in the same place? By comparing the rate of drop outs (per half-hour or hour) at a specific time (recorded or live), then we begin to get a grip on the nature and severity of the problem.

The same thing is true of any channel we gather data on. Instead of reporting, "they all do it", try to provide something useful like:

Network/Channel
Program (time viewed/time recorded)
Frequency of drops per 1/2 hr or hour
Duration (of the drop)
AVR and how it gets its audio.

This information is potentially useful. Saying "they all do it" is vacuous at best, for the purpose this thread was opened

...hasan, N0AN

DirecTV since 1995

#134 OFFLINE   tsduke

tsduke

Godfather

• Registered
  • 470 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 06:18 PM

It's called aggregation of data. No one can monitor all of them. All of us have favorites. To the extent they don't overlap, then there is a pretty wide sampling of the problem. It's the best we can do with how we watch TV, don't you think?

Let's say that 20 people here watch USA network. Further, all 20 report audio drop outs.12 of them report it on a specific program at a specific time. When shown twice, are the dropouts in the same place? By comparing the rate of drop outs (per half-hour or hour) at a specific time (recorded or live), then we begin to get a grip on the nature and severity of the problem.

The same thing is true of any channel we gather data on. Instead of reporting, "they all do it", try to provide something useful like:

Network/Channel
Program (time viewed/time recorded)
Frequency of drops per 1/2 hr or hour
Duration (of the drop)
AVR and how it gets its audio.

This information is potentially useful. Saying "they all do it" is vacuous at best, for the purpose this thread was opened

I thought, and still do think my question was quite valid. We're going on a year of this. They alreay know all of this information. I've spoken to multiple engineers. One even told me this issue doesn't rank high enough to warrant time to correct because only us enthusiast complain.

By the way, if you were reading the entire thread I've already posted some of the worst offending channels. Tonight, I've had 15+ dropouts on StarzHD-527 in the last 2:15.

#135 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,867 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 05 August 2010 - 06:52 PM

I thought, and still do think my question was quite valid. We're going on a year of this. They alreay know all of this information. I've spoken to multiple engineers. One even told me this issue doesn't rank high enough to warrant time to correct because only us enthusiast complain.

By the way, if you were reading the entire thread I've already posted some of the worst offending channels. Tonight, I've had 15+ dropouts on StarzHD-527 in the last 2:15.

Now, the last sentence was useful. Thanks. I could never report on that one, as I don't subscribe to premiums.

...and no, they don't know "all this information". We are collecting new stuff, with enough specifics to help nail it down. I doubt anyone previously took the time to provide the necessary information over a reasonable time period to give us a hint at what might resolve the problem. Not to mention, if they make adjustments and we don't bother to specifically report, we end up with misleading data to gauge the improvement or lack thereof against..

We have someone talking to an engineer who is engaged with the problem. He wants the info. Worst offending channels is nebulous. We are after counts per unit of time at a specific time, and equipment being used..

Everything else is noise, given what is being attempted in this thread.

If people don't want to participate in a useful manner (not aimed at you, btw), please start another thread and carry on. This one has a specified purpose, so let's stick to our knitting.

...hasan, N0AN

DirecTV since 1995

#136 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 41,792 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 07:09 PM

One even told me this issue doesn't rank high enough to warrant time to correct because only us enthusiast complain.

Not sure who you were talking with, but I doubt very much that this is the broadcast center's opinion. If it was then I can tell you they wouldn't be reading this and the other thread as much as they are.
A.K.A VOS

#137 OFFLINE   tsduke

tsduke

Godfather

• Registered
  • 470 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 07:12 PM

I doubt anyone previously took the time to provide the necessary information over a reasonable time period to give us a hint at what might resolve the problem. Not to mention, if they make adjustments and we don't bother to specifically report, we end up with misleading data to gauge the improvement or lack thereof against..

Not exactly true. I was in contact with the same engineer 2-3 times a week discussing specifics tests, scenarios and comparing recordings for close to 2 months. This was in April & May.

#138 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 41,792 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 07:15 PM

Not exactly true. I was in contact with the same engineer 2-3 times a week discussing specifics tests, scenarios and comparing recordings for close to 2 months. This was in April & May.

OK as the thread starter, lets move on and if you don't want to play, fine, but let's not full the thread with babble of whether it's worth your time or effort.
A.K.A VOS

#139 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 41,792 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 09:34 PM

So with what I've seen with the two difference Sony AVRs and the HR24, along with reading what others are having problems with.

Stuart Sweet had an idea that sparked a thought.

Could the encoders be programing to keep sending the DD5.1 signal even during the glitch times instead of just blanking?

I've seen glitches that I couldn't hear and it seems from reading here that some of these other AVRs are cycling on some of these extremely short glitches, thus causing the viewer to lose 1 to 2 sec of sound that wasn't that long of a glitch in the feed. If the feed could keep these locked onto the DD5.1, so the AVRs didn't cycle, it seems a fair amount of the dropouts might be reduced. Some dropouts don't seem to be real [in the feed but merely a loss of the Dolby bits] and others are longer but seem to be less than a second [to my ears on those I heard] so if the AVR didn't have to cycle then these would only be small dropouts.
While not perfect, it might [if it can be done] go a long way to improve the listener's experience.

Just a wild thought that came to mind and have no idea if it would work.
A.K.A VOS

#140 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,870 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 09:50 PM

Thanks for the credit, VOS. Unfortunately I had to clean up a few more off topic posts. Please, let's keep this thread productive. If the overwhelming feeling is that we can't go a day without venting, I'll open a thread for you to complain but I'd much rather you expenses your energy documenting the issue.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...