Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

On which channels do you have audio dropouts?

• Please log in to reply
926 replies to this topic

#141 OFFLINE   john18

john18

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 979 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 10:18 PM

Could the encoders be programing to keep sending the DD5.1 signal even during the glitch times instead of just blanking?

I've seen glitches that I couldn't hear and it seems from reading here that some of these other AVRs are cycling on some of these extremely short glitches, thus causing the viewer to lose 1 to 2 sec of sound that wasn't that long of a glitch in the feed. If the feed could keep these locked onto the DD5.1, so the AVRs didn't cycle, it seems a fair amount of the dropouts might be reduced. Some dropouts don't seem to be real [in the feed but merely a loss of the Dolby bits] and others are longer but seem to be less than a second [to my ears on those I heard] so if the AVR didn't have to cycle then these would only be small dropouts.

VOS, you (and Stuart) may be onto something. When I turn my AVR on, or switch to, my AVR takes 1-3 second longer to come on than it does using other audio source materials. Since my dropouts while watching D* recorded material is 2-4 seconds, the differing one second may be that glitches. Also, the glitch could be one second, but with the AVR recovery/recycle time it might explain why I complain of 2-4 second gaps.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#142 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,724 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 05 August 2010 - 10:33 PM

Please, let's keep this thread productive.

Though somewhat off-topic due to the differences in problems, I've experienced some interesting audio issues on a couple of "local" channels after LIL was launched in my DMA Wednesday. Those issues (along with other non-audio related issues) were reported HERE and HERE.

Basically, two of the HD channels included in the LIL channels have audio problems. WABW (GPB/PBS 14) has absolutely no audio except for occasional blips. WCWJ (the Jacksonville, FL CW affiliate imported into our DMA) has the same issue, but only when HD programming is airing, as SD programming plays fine. This issue is with both the unit hooked up to an AVR and when connected via composite to a SDTV.

What does this have to do with the price of Coffee in China?! Well, I was reading this post:

I've seen glitches that I couldn't hear and it seems from reading here that some of these other AVRs are cycling on some of these extremely short glitches, thus causing the viewer to lose 1 to 2 sec of sound that wasn't that long of a glitch in the feed.

... and I realized that the issues with these local channels are essentially the opposite of what we experience with the national channels.

With my SDTV hooked up via composite, you just notice that PBS has no audio (essentially), but when I viewed the channel with the HDTV/AVR, I realized the similarities in the issues. With the national channels, audio will be just fine... and every now and then, the audio will cut out and the AVR will display this momentary drop in audio. With the "local" channel(s), audio will be missing, and every now and then, "audio" will appear, and the AVR will display this momentary "blip" of audio. With The CW, it's different in that the audio is consistently cutting in and out (whereas PBS stays silent more often not), and in the fact that it only happens when The CW is showing network (HD) programming.

Again, I realize this is a "little" off-topic, and may have little to do with the issues in which this thread is intended to address, but I found the similarities... or differences, depending on how you want to look at it interesting. Others may disagree...

~Alan

#143 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 41,699 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 11:40 PM

^ maybe indirectly, but close enough to be a valid post for this topic, IMO.
A.K.A VOS

#144 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 41,699 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 12:43 AM

Since Royal Pains on USA was one several watch here's what I had tonight:
First came @ 18 min
Next @ 35 mins but I couldn't hear it and only saw the AVR cycle and replayed it three times to make sure.
Then @ 42, 49, & 57.
Most I did hear but if a second is "one thousand" long, these were "on..." long.
A.K.A VOS

#145 OFFLINE   mickcris

mickcris

Legend

• Registered
  • 163 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 05:17 AM

Comedy Central HD - 8/5/10 - 9PM Central - Futurama - Dropouts at 0:06 and 0:24

#146 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,904 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 06 August 2010 - 06:03 AM

So with what I've seen with the two difference Sony AVRs and the HR24, along with reading what others are having problems with.

Stuart Sweet had an idea that sparked a thought.

Could the encoders be programing to keep sending the DD5.1 signal even during the glitch times instead of just blanking?

I've seen glitches that I couldn't hear and it seems from reading here that some of these other AVRs are cycling on some of these extremely short glitches, thus causing the viewer to lose 1 to 2 sec of sound that wasn't that long of a glitch in the feed. If the feed could keep these locked onto the DD5.1, so the AVRs didn't cycle, it seems a fair amount of the dropouts might be reduced. Some dropouts don't seem to be real [in the feed but merely a loss of the Dolby bits] and others are longer but seem to be less than a second [to my ears on those I heard] so if the AVR didn't have to cycle then these would only be small dropouts.
While not perfect, it might [if it can be done] go a long way to improve the listener's experience.

Just a wild thought that came to mind and have no idea if it would work.

VOS, you (and Stuart) may be onto something. When I turn my AVR on, or switch to, my AVR takes 1-3 second longer to come on than it does using other audio source materials. Since my dropouts while watching D* recorded material is 2-4 seconds, the differing one second may be that glitches. Also, the glitch could be one second, but with the AVR recovery/recycle time it might explain why I complain of 2-4 second gaps.

I tried the Onkyo TX-SR806 along with the Yamaha RX-V465 before settling on the Yamaha. The main reason, besides price :lol:, was the drop out "clicks." The Yamaha would blip for a quick half second, but the Onkyo would need like 3 or 4 seconds to recover on the exact same drop.

IMO, this shows how some folks might really be affected to a larger & more frustrating degree depending on their AVR.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#147 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,724 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 11:42 AM

I tried the Onkyo TX-SR806 along with the Yamaha RX-V465 before settling on the Yamaha. The main reason, besides price :lol:, was the drop out "clicks." The Yamaha would blip for a quick half second, but the Onkyo would need like 3 or 4 seconds to recover on the exact same drop.

IMO, this shows how some folks might really be affected to a larger & more frustrating degree depending on their AVR.

It might also explain why I (and I'm sure others) have written off people's complaints about the problem as being too "dramatic". I find the audio dropouts to be annoying for sure, but I've rarely had it dampen my enjoyment of a program.

BTW, the "clicks" on my old Onkyo used to bug me. So glad I don't have them anymore with the Pioneer! :)

~Alan<~~~~~~~~Who is glad to see his PBS station's audio working...

Edited by Alan Gordon, 06 August 2010 - 11:51 AM.

#148 OFFLINE   bjamin82

bjamin82

Godfather

• Registered
  • 367 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 11:57 AM

Last night, the wife was watching BravoHD, The Real House Wives of DC... the drop outs were so bad, it was like watching a silent film.

Seriously, the attention and the time to resolution is Horrible with this issue. D* and everyone else who is "in the know" can keep saying they are working on it... but honestly, they are going to loose my family as a customer, we all spend so much money on equipment and you can't even enjoy it. What the point of being the HD leader when you can't hear the content in Surround Sound in an enjoyable way. Poor Form!

#149 OFFLINE   Die Hard

Die Hard

Mentor

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 12:20 PM

Since Royal Pains on USA was one several watch here's what I had tonight:
First came @ 18 min
Next @ 35 mins but I couldn't hear it and only saw the AVR cycle and replayed it three times to make sure.
Then @ 42, 49, & 57.
Most I did hear but if a second is "one thousand" long, these were "on..." long.

VOS

I started watching Royal Pains on USAHD last night about 9:30 cst last night.
Basically, I got the same drops as you.
I got a drop at 35 min, 42 min, 49 min, and some pixelation but no audio drop at 54 min.
H23/600 - HDMI - Denon 1610 AVR - HDMI - Panasonic PlasmaTCP50S1

Edited by Die Hard, 06 August 2010 - 02:47 PM.

#150 OFFLINE   swans

swans

Legend

• Registered
  • 248 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 12:28 PM

Thanks for the credit, VOS. Unfortunately I had to clean up a few more off topic posts. Please, let's keep this thread productive. If the overwhelming feeling is that we can't go a day without venting, I'll open a thread for you to complain but I'd much rather you expenses your energy documenting the issue.

Stuart,
As a complainer, all I really want to know is that DirecTV views this as a legitimate problem and someone is working to correct it. I believe that the delivery of DD5.1 via MPEG4 is the issue. Granted it looks to be an encoding problem, but the end result is that my enjoyment of this enhanced audio is degraded due to this problem. I am obviously not alone.

I would like to say that DirecTV has done a very good job of delivering their HD video via MPEG4 and MRV. I am truly amazed some times at the quality of the picture. If they can handle the video, certainly they should be able to clean up the audio.

Thanks!:)

#151 ONLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,843 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 06 August 2010 - 04:34 PM

Planet Green Ch 286 (Viewed Live)

Program: Ocean Blue, 2 p.m.

2 dropouts during the hour.

Onkyo SR605 AVR, HDMI Input

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

#152 OFFLINE   DennisMileHi

DennisMileHi

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 11:50 PM

Tonight we were watching Pillars of the Earth on Starz (recorded but only about 20 minutes behind real time). For the FIRST time in a long time, there were NO audio drop outs at all while watching. We have had dropouts on virtually every channel. Now this is on a HR24-500, but I thought I would report what we observed. I have no idea what problems are relative to the HR24 or the other DVRs... we have three others which are not HR24s. Two are hooked directly to TVs and have no problems. The other one is using a very old Pioneer AVR but it also has little or no audio dropout problems.

We hope D* gets this problem resolved, but tonight was a nice break in the 3 to 5 minute occurrences of very brief audio drops. I would be interested if anybody else saw some improvement tonight.

#153 OFFLINE   betterdan

betterdan

Icon

• Registered
  • 898 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 04:13 AM

Last night on Fox News HD around 10:50pm there were audio drops every 20 seconds or so for about 3 minutes.

#154 OFFLINE   Die Hard

Die Hard

Mentor

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 10:38 AM

Tonight we were watching Pillars of the Earth on Starz (recorded but only about 20 minutes behind real time). For the FIRST time in a long time, there were NO audio drop outs at all while watching. We have had dropouts on virtually every channel. Now this is on a HR24-500, but I thought I would report what we observed. I have no idea what problems are relative to the HR24 or the other DVRs... we have three others which are not HR24s. Two are hooked directly to TVs and have no problems. The other one is using a very old Pioneer AVR but it also has little or no audio dropout problems.

We hope D* gets this problem resolved, but tonight was a nice break in the 3 to 5 minute occurrences of very brief audio drops. I would be interested if anybody else saw some improvement tonight.

I hope it continues for you! As for us, we still had the usual 3 to 4 audio dropouts per hour while watching (live) USA and HGTV for most of the evening.

#155 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,724 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 11:42 AM

Channel: SyFy (244)
Date: Friday, August 6, 2010
Program: "Eureka"
Time(s): 9:41 P.M. & 9:52 P.M.
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1019AH

NOTE: There may have been more drop-outs during the program, but these are two that I noticed and verified that they were repeatable.

Edited by Alan Gordon, 08 August 2010 - 10:57 AM.

#156 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,973 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 07 August 2010 - 12:31 PM

ESPN2HD CH 209 8/7 at 13:30CDT HR24-500 Onkyo TX-NR901 TOSLINK

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#157 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,973 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 01:05 PM

Channel: SyFy (244)
Program: "Eureka"
Time(s): 9:41 P.M. & 9:52 P.M.
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1019AH

NOTE: There may have been more drop-outs during the program, but these are two that I noticed and verified that they were repeatable.

Had the same two exact dropouts via Onkyo TX-NR901 (TOSLINK) and Denon AVR-891 (HDMI).

I just checked those two spots without playing the entire recording. Now that I am, server is a HR23-700, client is a HR24-500, AVR is an Onkyo TX-NR901 using TOSLINK for audio.

Two drops both around the 0:08 mark (approx 8min 27sec and 8min42sec), 44min 41sec, 49min 55sec.

Edited by RAD, 07 August 2010 - 02:07 PM.

#158 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,973 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 07:46 PM

Last week's showing of Penn & Teller's Bull**** had four audio drops, at exactly the same spot, on both the east and west coast feeds. This weeks show, no dropouts the entire show on both east and west feeds shows.

And add Encore HD as another channel I'm hearing dropouts on, HR24-500, Onkyo TX-NX901 TOSLINK, Saturday 8/7 about 20:43CDT.

#159 OFFLINE   gphvid

gphvid

Godfather

• Registered
  • 494 posts
  • LocationThousand Oaks, Ca

Posted 08 August 2010 - 01:25 AM

Had the same two exact dropouts via Onkyo TX-NR901 (TOSLINK) and Denon AVR-891 (HDMI).

I just checked those two spots without playing the entire recording. Now that I am, server is a HR23-700, client is a HR24-500, AVR is an Onkyo TX-NR901 using TOSLINK for audio.

Two drops both around the 0:08 mark (approx 8min 27sec and 8min42sec), 44min 41sec, 49min 55sec.

Add one about 9:17 or so (Don't have exact time, sorry).

#160 OFFLINE   am7crew

am7crew

Legend

• Registered
  • 267 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 01:52 AM

SpikeTV HD I get audio drop outs/skips.

spam firewall